Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

edit: new faction :/

loving called it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

I hope this opens the door for stuff like looted Lambda Shuttles on the rebel side.

Yeah, with any luck this is going to give us Rebel Lambdas and Imperial Z-95s and what-not (even if just via Rebs/Imps getting to hire Scum ships for a point surplus).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Here's my storage solution:

:v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

You're the rear end in a top hat who takes 30 minutes to set up for a simple game because he's hunting for components :mad:

I'm not, the box is actually fairly organised. All of the tokens are in individual plastic bags, all of the plastic bases and pilot base tokens are in a couple of piles next to each other, and all my cards are bagged/sleeved and neatly piled up. The only thing I need to hunt for is finding the right number of dials for the ships I'm fielding, and I don't have that many anyway. :v:

e; here's what it looks like with the dials/Fs-31 bases removed:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 16, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's weird that this is a completely different card from the existing Fett, but I like it.

e; also :aaaaa: that IG-2000 title owns so hard. I might buy four of them to pull off that gimmick.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 16, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm considering repainting my Firespray for kicks and so it stands out better. Has anyone who's repainted stuff had issues with just undercoating straight onto the mini and painting over?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes. I prefer painting straight on top of the factory paint. Undercoating is fine but I feel it is easy to make the coating too thick and obscure the paneling grooves.

Thanks, it's stuff like this I wanted to know. It'd be easier for me to spray on the basecoat though, since I plan on painting it white - have you had any experience using an airbrush?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

I like them saying TIE Advanced will see its day

How are they going to do that, though? They'd need to print some more Advanced-specific stuff and the only way we'd get that is if they re-release the x1 (or give us the Avenger as an alternate Advanced sculpt) or release cards on their own.

I really hope we get the Avenger, actually. :allears:

e; you know, what with the 1Y 2Z Scum box, I wonder if we could get an Imperial box in the same style with an Avenger, some prototype TIE or a Defender or Phantom in alternate colours, and a bunch of new pilot/upgrade cards for existing models. I'd love to get some non-mercenary Firespray pilots for Imperials, for example.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I really like the idea that they can include new content without having to add models to buy.

Yeah, I just wish they'd do it via selling card packs instead of tying all the cards to actual models you might not want. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
With so much stuff coming out to make A-wings and especially Tycho ridiculously good, I hope we get the Interceptor upgrades promised in that interview sooner rather than later.

Speaking of, since wave 6 is going to be entirely Scum, have we seen all of wave 5? I thought Aces were a separate thing like the huge ship boxes and we were due two more wave 5 ships, but I guess I'm wrong. :( It's sad, because low PS Inties need some love.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

As a point of pedantic concern; Rebel Aces is not technically part of Wave 5. It just happens to be coming out at the same time.

Yeah, that was my point. I was under the impression we'd get Wave 5 being four ships (like the other previous waves), the Aces boxes not actually being part of the wave.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You might want to grab Rebel Aces if you can find it, but otherwise that's a totally viable base. You have what you need to run a bunch of different lists, and you have a Falcon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why do you not already own a Firespray? It's awesome, everyone should own one.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 21, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Also, if you have no Focus icons, can you still spend his stress token?

You can spend focus tokens without having the Focus action, and in any case he's specifically "removing 1 stress token" to change the dice results.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

If I can find an exact list of each piece that comes with each kit, I'll sell you used A/Y/TIE I for 15 bux + shipping total. I have extras and I'm willing to help a goon out.

For the record, the X-wing wikia has a breakdown of the contents of every expansion pack:

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Y-Wing_Expansion_Pack
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/A-Wing_Expansion_Pack
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Interceptor_Expansion_Pack

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really hope we get a Most Wanted style box for Imperials with more options for TIEs/Advanceds/Interceptors and an Avenger sculpt as an alt Advanced.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Han, Ten Nunb, Kath, Corn Horn, all work well with marksmanship.

Yeah, this. Experimental Interface will also breathe some life into it, but it's a card that is worth taking on a number of pilots and that's completely fine.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The actual lists he flew against:

First game:

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Targeting Computer (2)
Echo (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)
Bounty Hunter (33)

Second game:

Krassis Trelix (36)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Mercenary Copilot (2)
Dark Curse (16)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)

I still don't like/am not convinced by Soontir; he's too many points for something that's too fragile - a single shot can kill him or make him completely useless if you're just unlucky with the dice (death to dice, incidentally; people should stop making games that use them :v:).

I'll be flying the 4x RG PtL list next time, in my quest to justify taking Interceptors over just cramming more TIEs in instead (spoiler: I will never be able to justify this).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 30, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Madurai posted:

As is "Y-wings are slow and tough"--FFG has made it pretty clear that this is essentially the boardgame version of the videogame.

In case having Kyle Katarn (and Maarek Steele and Keyan Farlander) wasn't enough of a hint.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The fact that test pilot costs 0 points when there's a 1 point astromech that gives you an EPT slot is completely baffling.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

Chardaan Refit is amazing, the fact that a PS3 A-Wing with Push the Limit is worth the same amount of points as a regular PS3 TIE Interceptor with no PtL is just weird. Point for point, the A-Wing is better and really should beat the TIE Interceptor every time.

Interceptors are pretty bad right now and desperately need a boost, especially the low PS pilots and named pilots without an EPT slot. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really feel like Test Pilot should have cost 2 points, and Chardaan should have been limited to PS4 or below so that you could field cheaper low PS As but not get a free -2 points to your double EPT Tycho.

At least they've promised Intie buffs further down the line, but short of a mod slot -3 point upgrade I'm not seeing what they could release that would work.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I always feel like that if you are going for a swarm of inties, you might as well go 4xRGPs with PtL, since it gives you the maneuverability and staying power you need thanks to the double actions pretty much every single turn. Also PS6 is pretty great as well. I don't really know if an extra Intie is worth not having PtL on all of your dudes.

Yeah, this. By all means, please try that 4x Alpha + Tetran list and let us know how it went (I am a fellow Intie-swarm-desirer) but I have a feeling it won't work that well.

Poopy Palpy posted:

The issue with 4xRGP is buying a second Imperial Aces when you bought 4xInterceptors before you knew that Aces was going to be a thing. Even though it's your favorite Star Wars ship ever, it's hard to justify owning 8.

Also this. :( :( :(

(I bought three before I knew what I was doing, and ended up getting a replacement for one because it was damaged in the blister, so I have six Inties.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 8, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Case in point.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Squint

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/swarm

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4795

The only one of those that's confusing is "Squint" because it's EU in-universe slang. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SageNytell posted:

One of these days I'm going to drat the rules and run a Wraith Squadron wing of X-Wings and Interceptors and I will have a great goddamned time.

I understand balance and keeping factions distinct but I would sell an organ to get a Wraith Squadron expansion, and I'll never have the chance because I'm pretty sure the Allston estate wouldn't ok it even if FFG asked. :(

90% guaranteed that they will eventually run out of new ships to make and will print Imperial Zs and Rebel TIEs and etc.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dunkelgelb posted:

My local game store is running an interesting tournament - 32 points, one ship only. Looks like there will be a lot of shuttle variants.

That is a really loving bad point limit specifically because it means that taking an Omicron with upgrades is your best shot at winning as an Imp, since it's 3att and 10hp. Soontir or two TIEs won't stand up to a B with Sensors and HLC or even Wedge with an EPT, so you have basically no options (although comedy option, you could run a Shadow with ACD and Intelligence Agent to annoy all the low PS ships).

e; :laffo: it's even one ship only, I glossed over that. You should tell your store to reconsider, because 32 points as a Rebel is not 32 points as an Imperial.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 9, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

In what world are people living where theyd rather take a shuttle than soontir to a 32 pt battle?

The world where Soontir is made of paper and will explode when looked at sideways, i.e. this world.

e; this is assuming you stay with Imps, otherwise I'd just run the aforementioned Blue+Sensors+HLC or Test Pilot Tycho with PtL, Expert Handling, Experimental Interface and Refit.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 9, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Pull the peg, take a picture, contact FFG, get a second Decimator model.

They only send the defective part, so you won't get a second Decimator, but you'll get a new peg.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's fantastic but Imp pilots didn't do kill markers, Soontir Fel himself said so in the Rogue Squadron comics. :colbert:

e; oh poo poo, 32 cards to a tournament kit, which means it will probably be a participation prize. poo poo, I need to keep an eye out and make sure I can get a ticket for Leisure Games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LoG posted:

Ah, I thought the Decimator was part of the S&V wave. I'll go ahead and put in a preorder for it.

Decimators are this wave, Scum stuff is the start of next wave.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

At least "Fat Han" is more descriptive than "Han Shoots First", which from what I can tell is used to describe any list that includes Han.

Han Shoots First is Han + Veteran Instincts which puts him at PS11, which is better than any Phantom could be, so he gets to shoot before they recloak.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

I was under the impression Pilot Skill caps at 10 regardless of upgrades; is that not the case?

There's nothing printed anywhere that says that it does, so no reason to assume so, basically.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Real talk, though. That's totally a Headhunter.

Nope. It's the "next-generation X-wing" which is based on the concept art which the Headhunter is itself based on. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LoG posted:

So to make sure I've got this right; after doing a red maneuver and get a stress token you can still attack right? You just can't move or use an "action" like Evade or Focus until you make a green move? A stubborn friend read the rule book and took it to say after you get a stress token you can't perform any action which in his mind means anything and everything.

Attacking is not an action. The Perform Action step (which is what you skip) happens immediately after you move, in the activation phase. Attacks happen in the combat phase.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dredge posted:

Has anyone ever experienced missing items in an expansion pack? I recently bought the Firespray and according to this list I should have the Gunner crew card and the Slave 1 title card. But neither were in the pack. I've looked at the Fantasy Flight website and forums and cannot find who to contact about this.

Here you go: http://parts.fantasyflightgames.com/

Just open a ticket with a description of the issue and they should get back to you in a few days and then send you what's missing. Be aware their ticket acknowledgement stuff is manual and so you won't get a receipt until Monday earliest.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The TIE swarm is still the best way to go for Imperials, especially as a new player. They're great because they mitigate the effects of manoeuvring mistakes and of losing ships - each TIE only has 2 attack and 3 hull (which is bad), but they also have 3 defence (this is great) and there's 7-8 of them which makes for a respectable number of attack dice, and losing one TIE only means you've lost one seventh/eighth of your offensive power.

The best tip I can give you for formation flying is to deploy in blocks of four in a staggered two-line formation with half a ship base between every fighter, (like so), that way you have the spacing you need to not bump when all your ships make the same turn.

The only thing that comes close to a TIE swarm in terms of effectiveness is a Phantom list, but that's a lot harder to fly (because it's a list with a small number of highly agile ships that really need their actions to survive and deal damage, so bumping once is usually fatal). There are some people who will argue a Phantom list is actually better once you know how to fly it, but that's meta dependent (mine has a lot of high PS turrets).

Sadly, Imperials don't have nearly as many good options as Rebels, especially now that Rebel Aces is out. :(

Interceptors are pretty seriously over-costed (Soontir Fel is nice, but he's exceedingly fragile and very expensive and strictly worse than Tycho), Bombers are so situational you don't want to fly one in a "serious" list (but that's because they're ordnance platforms) and the Advanced x1 is a bad ship with one good pilot (Vader). The Defender is nice, but it's expensive enough that you can't easily run more than one, and it has very few options (unlike the Rebel B-wing, which is probably the closest fighter to it in terms of role), plus it's butt-ugly. :colbert:

As far as large ships go, the Shuttle is very interesting but pretty odd and requires a bunch of upgrades from other packs to be good (not an issue if you're proxying at home), and the Firespray is a good ship that comes with good upgrade cards, but neither really hold a candle to YT-1300 in terms of power or customisation options.

At least they've said Interceptors and the Advanced are due some buffs in the future, but in the meantime Rebels are way more fun to build lists for and to fly.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 12, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

Naked shuttles like Yorr work great now after the Phantom joined the game. Even a Shuttle with Vader aboard is a great use of points.

I forgot the shuttle comes with Advanced Sensors, so yeah, you're right about that part. They're still pretty hard to fly as a non-support ship without Engine Upgrade unless you go for a Doomshuttle specifically, but they're so cheap it hardly matters, I guess.

Tekopo posted:

And I think you are undervaluing 2 shields/2 hull over 3 hull, or the ability to have two EPTs over just having one, especially with EI coming out soon.

Yeah, 2s/2h means an A-wing won't die to/be made useless by a lucky crit.

Really, the problem is crits. They're a loving atrocious mechanic, and I'm convinced FFG didn't really understand the impact they have on the game when they costed some of the earlier ships. If they got dropped entirely or at least were cancellable first, the game would be even better.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 12, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

There could always be a stipulation for a refit downgrade card to be applicable to PS- pilots only.

It's what they should have done with Chardaan Refit and Test Pilot - just barred anyone over PS6 from taking them.

e; or barred pilots over PS6 from Chardaan and just made Test Pilot cost 2 points.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 12, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

It would be boring as heck. They've said they want to keep ships different.

In what world does "different" mean "two mod slots and two EPT slots are both worth 0 points?" There's no way that the Royal Guard title and Test Pilot are equal.

e; vvv

alg posted:

I don't really know what this post means, but the post I replied to was suggesting giving the test pilot to TIE Interceptors straight up. Which would mean they aren't different.

You apparently think that giving A-wings a second EPT slot is merely "different" from giving Interceptors a second mod slot, as opposed to "vastly more powerful, especially for a cost of 0 points, and thus something that should be addressed."

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm disappointed that the A4 upgrade doesn't give them a crew slot, but depending on how you set it up being able to shoot twice in a single turn may very well be crazy enough on its own.

The A4 is the one-seater version, which is why the turret is slaved to the main guns. S3 is the more common model and a two-seater.

If the A4 is a title card, why the hell does the stock Y-wing not have a crew slot, FFG? :colbert:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread