Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is there a good overview somewhere on where the different ships come from, in terms of SW media? They seem to be getting more and more obscure, but then I haven't really kept up with Star Wars since the late nineties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

canyoneer posted:

X-Wing: · "Hobbie" Klivian (25)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: · Biggs Darklighter (25)
· R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: · Tarn Mison (23)
R7 Astromech (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: Rookie Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

I barely know anything about the game, but I love the old school ships. Looking at the cards and ships the friend I play with has available, how does this look?

X-Wing: · "Hobbie" Klivian (25)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: · Biggs Darklighter (25)
· R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)
X-Wing: · Tarn Mison (23)
M9-G8 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)
A-Wing: · Green Squadron Pilot (19)
XX-23 S-thread Tracers (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Trick Shot (0)
Wired (1)

I have no idea how well the tracers supplement the other ships in this, I just looked at the BBYZZ list and replaced the Z-95s there with a cheap A-Wing. Wired could be replaced by Adrenaline Rush or Determination.
Or I could put in a Chardaan Refit and have more points for talents and modifications. Or a test pilot and some torpedoes, I suppose.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 24, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I only play occasionally at a friend's, so i'm not really up to date with meta stuff; is C3PO still being played, and are any other Tantive cards ever being used competitively in winning lists? I'm thinking of buying a C3PO promo for his birthday, if this means he can completely skip the Tantive for tournaments.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I assume B-Wings aren't exactly a meta-choice, but has anyone experience with E2 B-Wings that use crew for extra survivability? How do C-3PO, Jan Ors or Chewbacca work out for them?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

Horton Salm (25)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R2-D6 (1)
Expertise (4)
Vectored Thrusters (2)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)

Captain Rex (14)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

How likely is this to work? I really enjoyed this Horton build paired with Rey for how easily he can chew through tokens, but I'm not sure if I can keep him alive long enough to make his points back. I figured Biggs and Rex might give him some time to work with.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I have my first tourney Saturday, pretty much using leftovers from my friend's collection, so no Stressbot, etc.

Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Opportunist (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

The HLC is a huge investment, but with Biggs the first joust should go very well. Any suggestions for improvement? Without the HLC I probably could fit in Luke or PS8 Poe instead of Biggs. I like Keyan, but what's a decent budget version of him?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

canyoneer posted:

What do you have in your collection, and what kind of lists do you like?

2x Core
1x TFA Core
Rebel Transport
Rebel Aces
Heroes of the Resistance
A-Wing
Y-Wing
E-Wing
K-Wing
Z-95
ARC-170
Sabine's TIE
U-Wing
Auzituck Gunship
Scurrg Bomber

These are my friend's rebel ships. The ARC, Gunship and Jess Pava are already in his list, as is the Stressbot. The tourney probably won't allow proxies, so no Autothrusters. I haven't played the game very much, so I'm looking for a fairly straightforward 3 classic ship list like Strobe's Wes/Wedge/Luke, but he doesn't have Wedge.

ConfusedUs posted:

First rule of B-Wings is "don't spend 40+ points on a B-Wing"

Hannibal Rex posted:

I like Keyan, but what's a decent budget version of him?

Alternative list:

Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Opportunist (4)
Fire-Control System (2)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 13, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This won our store championship. I had a rough night shift the day before, so I didn't end up going after all.

Poe Dameron (PS9) (33)
Intensity (2)
BB-8 (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Nien Nunb (29)
Snap Shot (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There is a well-meant house rule tournament in my city this week that I can't help but think will turn into a rather one-sided clusterfuck.

-At least three ships in the list
-Rebels and Empire only
-Rebels can only use -wing ships, Empire can only use TIE ships.
-Only one of each ship type, the exceptions being X-Wings and T-70s are allowed two each, TIE fighters and TIE/fos are allowed three each

Can anyone think of a decent Rebel list that won't get owned by various Imperial triple ace/alpha strike/swarm/crack swarm lists?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's meant to be a casual retro tourney with more variety than an 'OT only' one. The problem is, these 'restrictions' still allow some top tier Imperial lists, while knee-capping their counters, and Rebels in general. ConfusedUs' analysis and Rebel list both look spot on.

My original plan was to fly a Rebel regen list of Miranda, Luke and a Chopper y-wing, but I might take his suggestion. (Or switch to Vader, Inquisitor, Tomax; I don't have Quickdraw.)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

There is a well-meant house rule tournament in my city this week

-At least three ships in the list
-Rebels and Empire only
-Rebels can only use -wing ships, Empire can only use TIE ships.
-Only one of each ship type, the exceptions being X-Wings and T-70s are allowed two each, TIE fighters and TIE/fos are allowed three each

Tournament Report:

I was a lot less cutthroat than I worried. The winner played a 3 TIE/fo, 2 Tie fighter list, but I don't know any details about it. Apparently, he equipped adv. optics on his fo's. There were 15 players, but two left early.

I had a limited selection available since I'm sharing ships with a friend when I play, but I decided to bring a pretty straight-forward triple PS10 X-Wing list, Poe with BB-8, and Luke and Wes with Flight-Assists.

Unfortunately, my first opponent seemed to have arrived at a pretty similar conclusion to ConfusedUs earlier; he brought PS11 Poe, a stresshog, but instead of Selflessness Jess he also had PS11 Wedge. After the first round of shooting, my Wes was half-dead, while I had only managed to strip the shields of Wedge. The stresshog limited my movement options, Wes died on the second turn of shooting, and Luke and Poe followed shortly after. I might have done better if I had gone after the hog instead of Wedge, or at least lost not quite as decisively, but this was a pretty frustrating start.

Second round was against Silencer Kylo, PS10 Quickdraw and Countdown. He won initiative and set up Quickdraw on the other side of his starting area, and tried to join him with Kylo and Countdown. I chased after them and took some potshots at Countdown without getting return fire. He never managed to concentrate his ships on a single target and I slowly took down Kylo's hull while he Showed the Dark Side to Wes' astromech. Unfortunately, I lost track of time or I might have played differently, but when time was called I had lost Wes, while Kylo was at 2 hull and Countdown at 1. I'm fairly confident I could have taken down both of them with another turn or two. So, another loss, but a much more enjoyable game.

The third game was against a fairly unoptimized Wedge, Wes, Dutch proton torpedo list. I cut across my starting area with 2-turns, 3-banks followed by barrel rolls (and a bump) and 3-turns followed by boosts, with the end result being that when we engaged, he had parked Wedge on an asteroid trying to get me into arc. Black One and Wes made short work of most of his target locks, and the rest of the time I was either out of arc or at range 1. I took out Wes, and never came under real pressure, taking out Dutch and Wedge shortly afterwards. Torpedoes fired: 0.

The last match was against a bombing Miranda, Intensity Poe and an A-wing blocker. He skirted around the edges of the battle with Miranda and mostly focused on trying to shoot Luke during the first engagement, who had taken point. The A-wing didn't achieve much early on, while I focused on his Poe, who was the first to fall. Luke successfully k-turned across an asteroid while at 1 hull, but got subsequently taken out by a bomblet after bumping into the A-wing, which was the only bomb used in the game. I continued to ignore Miranda and chased down his A-wing, running away with my 1 hull Wes after killing it, and winning on points.

This was my first tourney, and I had a blast. Outmaneuvering your opponents with flight-assisted T-65 X-wings is hilarious, it turns out. I made 9th, overall.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

polynominal-c posted:

I've flown all ships I own (which is everything), except for the G1-A, M12-L, U-Wing and B/SF. I really have no idea what to do with the U-Wing. Anybody having a list that includes a U-Wing, where the U-Wing is not just tacked on, but has a specific role? I do not really see what the point of that ship is.

I didn't get around to play it yet, but what I want to try at some point is a U-Wing with FCS, Hera, Zeb and Ion Projectors.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I want a Han Seoul-Oh custom card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get cheaper local language models than English ones, if everything with text is handled by the upgrade kits and app.

• Locked thread