Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I ran:

Kavil with R4 Agromech and Blaster turret
Binayre Pirate with Feedback Array x5

Demolished ZZZZAAB, 2x BTL Ys with Boba, and Soontir/Whisper/OGP, but lost hard to a Dash/Keyan/A build. Partly due to insane defense dice on Dash, and partly just because my list doesn't function that well at range. Only triggered Feedback Array about half a dozen times, but it was very useful when I did, inluding roasting Whisper after I blocked her decloaks and maneuver. Fun list to fly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The scum firespray cards are just an oversight. They'll be errata'd and then we can forget all about it.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

zVxTeflon posted:

Do they rotate which stores get regionals? The two stores in this area that had them last year dont have them anymore.

I suspect in some cases that's due to how it was run, or turnout. My local store is the FFG Game Center, so we get a regional for every FFG game right here, guaranteed. Plus worlds :) Sadly I have to drive 9hrs to Nationals.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

MRLOLAST posted:

What is up with the points difference of B- wings and Tie - Defenders. I mean omg it can do a white k- turn but the rest of the dial is nothing special. 8 points is to much. They should cost the same or similar.

I do agree that the Defender is a little overcosted, but 3 AG vs 1 is a pretty big difference. Yeah that costs you 2 shields, but if you don't get 2 extra evades out of those dice most games I'd be awfully surprised.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
4/10/13 I played my first two games of X-Wing. On 4/9/15 I played games 400 and 401... I've averaged better than a game every other day since I started, probably 99% of those on the tabletop as opposed to VASSAL. Just thought that was pretty cool!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The K-Wing and Punisher are pretty great. I'm excited for the other two as well, this wave definitely brings some cool stuff to the game.

In other news, I love living in the Twin Cities. We have 8 X-Wing tournaments over the next 8 days, and that's on top of the 4 or 5 we had in the last week. And every event is drawing 10+ players. Pretty awesome having FFG in our backyard, really helps boost the community here. Plus, Tuesday we have a Wave One ships only tournament... All upgrades legal, but only X, Y, TIE, and Advanced. The new TIE Advanced stuff from the raider is legal too. This is gonna be a ton of fun! Just can't decide on Vader or a new TIE Swarm!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Madurai posted:

Are there plans for S&V versions of the YT's? Solo may not have been villainous, but he was definitely scum.

Not gonna happen.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Endman posted:

I present for the perusal of the thread:

Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-D8 (3)
Wedge Antilles (29)
Opportunist (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Luke Skywalker (28)
Opportunist (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Total: 100
View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Jake Pichelmeyer (at the time the North American champ) ran that at the MN regional last year, or very similar, probably minus R5-D8. I played him in top 8 running BBXY. It has potential for a nasty alpha but if it didn't kill a ship in that first attack it was going to have a rough time. In this case it didn't, I think I lost 2 shields? Then I fired back and murdered Wes or Wedge. From there I had the numbers. Without any way to reposition, you're going to suffer to arc dodgers too.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

yellowjournalism posted:

Hey if I adsensors a boost but it "collides," canceling the action, am I still committed to taking my action pre-maneuver, or can I choose to move and then act?

You can decide to do your action later in that case. Same thing, if you PTL to boost but can't boost, you can choose a different action or choose to NOT PTL.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Regionals tomorrow! My LGS is FFG itself, so we'll have the best players from the entire Midwest in town! Last year I made top 4, this year I'm not as confident, but we'll see!

I'm running:
Corran w/ VI, FCS, R2D2, and Engine
Chewie w/ Lone Wolf, Falcon title, C-3PO, Lando, and Experimental Interface

I just got them both painted up by a friend in exchange for some promos too. Corran with some green accents and the Falcon in it's original Stellar Envoy colors!

Anyone else have a regional tomorrow?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Commissar Canuck posted:

I'll be at FFG with a hastily put together list of Leebo with a mangler, recon special, title and determination; Jake with autothrusters, refit and PtL; and a gray squadron dude with ion, title and R2. I totally expect to get rolled, but I want a nice break from house moving and wouldn't mind getting some promo goodies to boot.

Was your YT-1300 the one with the nice blue paint job that was recently posted on the local facebook group, by the way?

Yep! Traded a Chewie and a Biggs promo to have another local paint up the Falcon and an E-Wing. Really happy with them! I ended up eating poo poo though, went 2-4. It was awesome to see locals make up half of the top 16 though!

And it's always cool to get THREE Scum Boba promos!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Is anyone else attending the Milwaukee regional tomorrow?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

The Dregs posted:

Can anyone recommend a good token/template set that won't break the bank?

I'm a big fan of applied perspective templates. Tokens are way less necessary.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

zVxTeflon posted:

Well ended up 4-2 with Dash + Coran

lost my last game when head up his rear end Coran rolled all blanks on defense and died before he could double tap a wounded range 1 Vrill with TL. Dash spent the entire game soloing Chewy + Vrill till it was just chewy with 3 hull left and Dash took a munitions failure crit and lost HLC. 2 attacks couldnt power through evade + c3p0 and that was the end of my day. 94 people I think and this store was 100 times better than the place picked last year. Really nice clean place and they even had a food truck the whole day with tables and chairs outside. Hope this place gets it again next year.

Oh winning list was some weird Coran, Biggs, Jake Farrel combo. I dont know the exact upgrades but you can watch a choppy soundless video of the final match here

I was in one of the blue Twin Cities X-Wing shirts. Ran 5 Zs, both named and three Talas with a variety of missiles. Went 3-3, with that list I tend to win any game I fire all 5 missiles in.

The Chewie Vrill list was probably one of my friends, he missed the cut by one spot!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

BattleMaster posted:

I'd like to hear more about your Zs. I've been running them lately (as Scum) and I've just been running bare Binayre Pirates but I'd be interested in finding something more interesting to do with them.

The list is the following:

Cracken with Squad Leader and Cluster Missiles
Blount with Deadeye and Ion Pulse
Tala with Homing
Tala with Homing
Tala with Cluster or Concussion

Cracken makes sure missiles fire with TL and focus, either by Squad Leadering an action and then passing one with his attack, or TLing, and passing two with the two cluster attacks. The homings are pretty much a sure 4 hits each. Blount's only job is to tag the most dangerous enemy ship with the ion pulse to set up the kill.

My wins were against Super Dash and 3 Talas, Brobots, and Kath/Boba (scum). Ion'd Dash, an IG, and Boba. It's definitely best against two ship lists, and is certainly reliant on you getting the missiles off, but it's fun, and something different from the usual meta lists!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

zVxTeflon posted:

Anyone else going to the Chicago(ish) regional this saturday? Pbpancho you usually go to the midwest regionals right? Gonna be decent prize support at this one.

Not this one 😢 Good luck though!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Anyone else playing Nationals tomorrow at gencon? I'll be one of the guys in the cloaky Mcgee phantom shirt running a painted up Chewie and Corran.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
So I did the commentary Wed for rounds 5-8, in addition to introducing the final and interviewing Nathan and Paul on the stream after. How'd I do?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

hoiyes posted:

I thought you guys were much better, Matt really demonstrated he knows his stuff and Mark was asking pertinent questions and keeping on the ball on the rolls.

One question on match 5 that was bugging me, did the decimator forget it's shield tokens or something? Seemed like corrans first attack he immediately drew damage cards.

Thanks! I'd be Matt :) That first match was a little hard for us to follow because they weren't showing us the dice cam for that first round. I think that Corran and Dash landed the shields+4 damage though.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I enjoyed it! The X-Wing commentary in general has been a bit more entertaining than other commentary this year, IMO. The only feedback I have is similar to that other goon, that sometimes questions were being answered from the stream's chat channel when play-by-play commentary whatever was happening that game would have been pretty helpful.

Anyways, you guys are doing a great job, and the game seems like it owns right now. If you want to send me a bunch of free stuff, I have PMs :v:

Thanks! I'll be doing Imperial Assault commentary tomorrow too so tune in!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Interesting to see Heaver in the Imperial Assault skirmish stream, I had no idea he played

He's the standing North American Champion for Imperial Assault.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Serissu: Veteran Instincts, Munitions Failsafe and X-23 Thread Tracers

5x Binayre Pirates with Advanced Homing Missiles

This looks dumb as hell but has a decent chance of killing something outright! Then you're just stuck with a mediocre swarm.

Unless they manage the incredibly difficult task of engaging at range 3 or range 1!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/31/hunted-by-the-inquisitor/

I'll just leave this here. Check out Guidance Chips...

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

BattleMaster posted:

Only one copy of Guidance Chips and XX-23 S-Thread Tracers per expansion, the bastards. I want 4 of each for the Zs in my Kath and her Crooks list but I don't want 4 Inquisitors.

2x more chips in the Punishing One it looks like. Pretty reasonable.

Also:

Blount with VI and Thread Trackers
5x Bandits with Concussions and chips

Better hope you don't end up in arc and range of those guys. Yer' gonna die!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

thespaceinvader posted:

Better thought: take a TLT shot. Daredevil/boost/barrel roll into the donut hole before the second. gently caress you TLTs.

Sure, although if you could boost into the hole, why not do it before you get shot at all? :) I guess if you're confident enough that you'll dodge, you can focus, then boost with the shot to avoid the 2nd and get range 1 for your return fire, but that's iffy.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

enigmahfc posted:

So basically, Valen can get shot at, then barrel roll out of the way entirely and avoid the attack entirely, then do a boost when defending to completely avoid another attack (assuming you have those actions left, of course). That just sounds fun.

He can't avoid that attack, it's AFTER defending. So he could potentially avoid attacks after that one, like with the TLT example, or if he's up against multiple shooters.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

ConfusedUs posted:

Could also be good to get out of stressbot arcs. That's...tempting. I loving hate stressbots.

Edit: I'm an idiot. You can't do free actions when stressed. Ugh.

It MIGHT work against Tactician though. Probably will be resolved in an FAQ.

thespaceinvader posted:

After defending, so he still has to survive the shot to do it. And not be stressed, so stressbot TLTs will gently caress him over.

Another thought: 5XSeinar Test Pilots with title, autothrusters, thread tracers. All the locks, all the evades. Or just 6xSeinar Test Pilots.

If the set thus far is this good, how stupidly awesome is the Baron of... going to be?

You ended your action step in range 2 for whatever reason. Boost came up short, they moved after you, etc etc. Donut holing between TLTs will be its own reward.

Especially, thinking about it, when you consider the capacities of the Ghost...

Just remember you can't boost again if you already did that round, so boost coming up short will still leave you short, unless it's so close a roll will get you in.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Reynold posted:

Our largest local Star Wars games facebook group of 200 or so people had a big long argument not too long ago when some dude posted that he was frustrated with the number of local games stores continuously dropping the ball on acquiring tournament kits from FFG or running events past "open play on Wednesdays in our cramped and smelly back room." He expressed that he didn't see why he'd ever pay MSRP for wangs at these stores if they weren't even going to bother getting events together for him to come play at. The group immediately exploded with comments about how if he wanted a store championship to happen in his area, he should have done it himself, support local businesses, keep better tabs on FFG press releases and notify his flgs, etc. Basically putting the onus on him, as a player who is disappointed that the half dozen or so stores in the area with decent space for tournaments (and who sell tons of x-wing stuff) just didn't bother setting one up this year, to organize the event himself.

It seems to me that if you're in the business of slangin wangs, you'd keep better track of the official events and use them to draw in more people.

Around here (MN) it's a combination of both. Lots of stores keep an eye out for this sort of thing, but we also tend to remind stores, especially since some of the windows (like for Store Champs) can be pretty short. We also work with the local stores to ensure that Store Champs are arranged on weekends that won't conflict with other stores, or even with some other game tournaments, like Armada. Store owners have a LOT to keep tabs on, so a reminder from players can really be appreciated. We also have a ton of awesome stores around here though, with 9 store championships at least, and a few more stores that didn't apply but run regular events.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

ConfusedUs posted:

Wow that sounds like a real pain in the rear end. :)

Rules question, ya'll:

Let's say you're running the shuttle pilot, Captain Yorr, whose ability is he can receive stress for friendly ships at range 1-2. This allows for some crazy moves, including actions after K-Turns.

Now for the question: if a ship runs over a debris field, and Yorr takes the stress for them, does the ship still get its actions? I know that asteroids have "lose your action" as part of their rules, but I can't seem to find a solid ruling on if debris has the same rule.

I've always been under the impression that you lose your action when you hit debris because of the stress, not in addition to the stress. But a discussion last night makes me think I could be wrong.

Your interpretation is correct.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

ConfusedUs posted:

Got a link to a source? I have a feeling this will come up in a tournament setting soon.

Yeah, the source would just be the Debris rules in the expansions. Asteroids say you skip your perform action step. Debris doesn't.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Vader crew? No, your ship takes 2 regular and you deal a crit.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Strobe posted:

My gut says no, since his ability explicitly says that he must have the focus token.

Poe can use Esege's focus. He treats it as his own.

Tacopocalypse posted:

Rules question: Can bombs be deployed on top of obstacles?

Yes.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
lol at people still getting mad that when there's only 1 copy of X upgrade in an expansion. That's literally how they've done it for the entire life of the game, except in very specific circumstances. How are you surprised that things work the way they always have?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Chill la Chill posted:

I recall someone here actually works for FFG and did part of the worlds coverage but have you guys ever considered using the official dice app for all televised games of x-wing? It's a lot easier to see that being shown on the side of a coverage window rather than some really bad lighting in a dice chamber whose results the commentators cannot even see. Might even get people to buy it, after all. :3:

I don't see that ever happening. I know there are players that would RIOT if required to use the app. People just have so many suspicions about their dice rolling. I know we've got some ideas to make it a little better next year though.

The crits thing is mostly a problem when players never show their crit damage to the camera. We're sitting in an isolation booth so we can't really just pop over to see what they say, and the people at the table can't hear us either.

As for listing upgrades, there's only so much room on the screen! We did go over the lists before each match, and usually the Twitch chat could answer any list questions that people had in-game. Those are all good feedback to have though, thanks!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Weirdneal posted:

The best display I've seen in coverage videos is from the Sanctioned Youtube Channel. Shows all the information about all the ships and shows ever die roll:
http://i.imgur.com/J6Gfdxi.png

And when there's a crit, they show you what the card said:
http://i.imgur.com/RXlPmRX.png

That's done in post though right? Not live? It's MUCH harder to do that sort of thing live, and keep it all accurate. Plus every person we have working the stream for that week is not creating more awesome X-Wing content :D

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Couple repaints, done in between Imperial Assault minis

Kath Scarlet

Lt. Blount

The Virago

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
So try this on for size...

Howlrunner
Scourge
Mauler Mithel
3x Black Squadron.

Season liberally with Crack Shot.

Yes I own 6 Crack Shot... Don't judge me. Went 4-0 with it today. Although I can't really count the poor bastard that tried to joust it with Wedge, Porkins, and Tarn.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Corbeau posted:

So I was thinking about how to make double-T70 work and came up with this:

99 points

Pilots
------

“Red Ace” (36)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (37)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Push the Limit (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jake Farrell (26)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Wired (1)

Opinions?

I'd take VI on Jake over Wired. That is similar to what a guy ran here last night, went 3-0 with it too. The other 3-0s were Palp, Omega Leader, Soontir, and me with Howl/Scourge/Mauler/3xBlack Crack swarm.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The FFG Game Center here in Roseville has beer on tap, wine, fountain drinks, locally-roasted coffee, and a full kitchen :D We're pretty spoiled. Yesterday I had a great pulled pork sandwich with some slaw and fries while we played LOTR LCG and X-Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

alg posted:

pulled pork in minnesota is "great"? I don't believe you.

It's not "great" compared to what I could get in TX or KC or something like that, or a real BBQ joint. But drat good for a GAME STORE.

• Locked thread