Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tekopo posted:

Expected to see people bitching at C3PO being available in the FFG forums, alas no such luck.

Why would they be mad? Is it because they spent $70 on the Tantive IV for that card for their Fat Han and now almost anyone who shows up in the tournament will get one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Are you playing on rubber shelf liner? Seems like a clever way to keep one from poking or bumping stuff.

I really like Blue Ace as well. Great pilot to use to introduce new people to the game, so they don't get stuck pointing the wrong direction when they whiff and mis-measure a turn.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

I love those thread tracers so much. There's a lot of possible synergy with all sorts of things, in addition to just giving everyone a target lock on a single target.

Those things will be great for granting a swarm of cheap ships target locks on a high value target.
I wonder how many copies of the card will be included?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Paint eyes on the back of your ships, to confuse your enemies so they don't know which way they are facing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

The only new ships I saw (besides the T-70 and the TIE-F/O) is Kylo Ren's black shuttle

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I flew a list of Darth Vader, Howlrunner, Soontir, and Mauler vs. Fat Han and BB8 Poe a few nights ago. Poe got eaten by a few lucky potshots and finished off by a range 1 salvo from Vader (with Advanced Targeting Computer's critical pulling off a hull breach and direct hit combo :swoon:)
At that point it's Fat Han with 2 shields left and the other 4 opponents are all now shieldless. I thought it would be easy cleanup, but my ships got blasted away one by one, starting with Vader. Soontir was the last survivor, and I think he might have pulled it off if I had put autothrusters on that build. I had initiative as well, so I was moving first and couldn't reliably tail Han at range 1.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Assembling the plastic peg on movement dials is my least favorite part of unpacking a new ship. It just rubs me the wrong way, man.
I will never disassemble and reassemble one on purpose.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

lenoon posted:

So I finally got the x wing starter to go along with my armada fleet. I'd like to buy maybe 2 more small ships per side so that I can entice friends and such with slightly larger, crazier battles. Are there any "obviously buy this" and "this is definitely a trap choice" picks out there?

I'm thinking for rebels just a y/a wing and another x wing, and cool (and different) ties in some form for imperials. It'd be cool to be able to do Stuff with the easily recognisable ships from the movies, rather than the EU.

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm Timmy as gently caress, so all of this is coming from a "push ships more dice whee" perspective.

Rebels -

A-wings are a hell of a lot of fun to push around, but not hugely effective. That said, if you got Rebel Aces, you'd get a really good A-wing and B-wing combo, all in one box and for a little less than buying them separately in most places. B-wings are pretty solid ships, and they're different enough from the regular Rebel dials if you want to mix things up.

Y-wing isn't a bad choice, but for my money, I'd buy a K-wing. The TLT upgrades are really useful later on, they make Miranda a really effective choice as a whole, and if you're in it to throw dice, you can load the thing down with ordinance and learn about bombs and missiles.

Imperials -

The Phantom is mechanically optimal, although not as crushingly good as it used to be. It's tricky to fly superbly, but you can do well enough with it as a new player and throw a lot of dice on offense and defense.

Buying an Interceptor blister is a no-brainer. You want Soontir Fel. You'll want to proxy Push the Limit, which is a massively important Elite Pilot Talent, and probably Autothrusters. Alternately, buy the solo Interceptor and Imperial Aces for a whole bunch of interceptors, one of which has sweet red racing stripes.

And the Punisher is also pretty fun for the same reasons as the K-wing, although it isn't as much of a mandatory purchase since its upgrade cards aren't as great as the K-wing's stuff.

I agree with all of the above. After buying the TFA core set, we got the plastic spaceship fever and placed an order for all of the following: Rebel Aces, Millenium Falcon, Original Core Set, Imperial Aces, TIE Advanced, and Slave 1.

I will go online to a list builder and put together two opposite lists that I think are roughly equal. I'll explain why I chose what I chose, and the rough strategy ideas behind them and how they're intended to be flown. Then we flip a coin for the lists. Using the online builder means that as long as I have the ships and dials, I can build out whatever I want (even using cards gated behind expensive epic ships)

The things that seem to always make it in the list are 2 or more cheap TIE buddies, the TIE advanced, and an interceptor. T70 X Wing, Millennium Falcon, and B Wing are also frequent fliers. Out of all the ships I bought, the A Wing from Rebel Aces and the Slave 1 are the least likely to make it to the table. I've also never run more than one interceptor at a time, so you could probably get away with just the Interceptor blister pack, especially if you're willing to proxy stuff by using online lists.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Strobe posted:

I'm seriously looking forward to running:

Poe Dameron (31) [38]
R5-P9 (3)
Lone Wolf (2)
Autothrusters (2)

"Red Ace" (29) [38]
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Total: 100

Both of the unkillable God-Kings of X-Wings, plus a pair of blockers and joust support.

That looks like a doozy of a list. :eyepop:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That was indeed a brutal list. The KKK took my E-wing away

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, if you watch the guy who beat that specific list he just closed distance fast with Poe, A-Wing and Corran. The 3K list rolled on inferior turret boats though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ehh, they could always add a smugglers/spies faction.
Or start piling in every ship that ever showed up in a background sequence.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

They have different manuver dials?

T-70 has the Tokyo Drift update.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cobbsprite posted:

I'm setting up a few rounds of X-Wing that I'm patterning off the Fighter Squadron mode in Battlefront. X-wings, A-wings, TIE Fighters, and TIE Interceptors as the main players, with the option to pull an Aluminum Falcon or Slave 1 after the first couple rounds. Restricting to torpedoes, missiles, pilot talents, titles, and modifications for upgrades. Thinking about putting markers on the map for health restores.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Reel-2, dialogue 2 was its squat, feisty buddy.

One of my Central American coworkers told me that he grew up thinking the robot was named "Arturito" :3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

zVxTeflon posted:

Miranda Doni (37)
K-Wing (29), Twin Laser Turret (6), Tactician (2)

Warden Squadron Pilot (31) x 2
K-Wing (23), Twin Laser Turret (6), Tactician (2)

The guy who beat that list did it with this one:
Corran Horn + R2-D2 + Engine Upgrade + Push The Limit + Fire Control Systems;
Poe Dameron + Veteran Instincts + Autothrusters + R5-P9
Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit

It was good flying, he just got right up in their grill and tried to keep out of their primary arc

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Do the starter stuff mentioned in the rule book. One X-Wing vs 2 TIE Fighters, naked.

:heysexy: We usually just play in our pajamas around here

I agree with the recommendation. The "learn to play" guide has you play a game with the three generic pilots, no asteroids, skipping the Action step and ignoring range bonuses. My wife and I learned together, and she was very on-board with the game after playing a tutorial round (where I flew my ship off the board, whoops!) and then playing a 50-ish point game using the real rules with the pilots in the TFA core set. The next day she spent $100 buying new ships :shepspends:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Wonder what the shuttle's dial looks like. That's a very competitively priced ship at 20 points.

There are probably going to be a lot of fielded fully loaded Ghost/Phantom lists in the near future

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ramming speed with Zeb throwing 5 dice at point blank/range 1 is going to be a hoot.

That unique peg on the ship is pretty neat too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, if you want to run competitive lists but are okay with proxying then you really only need minor investments for certain lists. Falcon + a wingman like Poe is only gonna run you $30 outside of the core set for instance and isn't that bad, a friend of mine runs with that because he doesn't own anything else. If you have to have all the official printed everything then yeah, you're gonna wind up with an extensive collection.

Look, every X-Wing player opening a huge ship package

DJ Dizzy posted:

When using the mercenary co-pilot on a ship with the HLC, what comes first, the modification from the HLC or the co-pilot?

FAQ says:
After an attack is performed using Heavy Laser Cannon and all critical results are changed to hit results, the attack dice can be modified as normal. Any attack dice rerolled are not changed from critical results to hit results

Thus, the mod from Merc Co Pilot triggers after HLC, and if you use target lock to reroll the focus or blank results, any criticals that come up do not get the HLC bump from critical to regular hit.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 7, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

"A wizard jedi did it"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Panzeh posted:

That being said, defenders love 'em, though if you're going for broke, the ion cannon is probably better since it does damage and gives you a positional advantage for next turn.

I've never played with a defender, but I'm excited about the idea of popping a head-on jouster with Ion Cannon/primary attack and swinging around back on that white K-turn.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Amazon says they're shipping the new TIE/FO and T70 expansion packs tomorrow :henget:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Has this come up here yet? https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/195945-t-70-ps7-pilot-spoiled-ello-asty/

PS7 T70 pilot is called Ello Asty (hilarious name) and the ability is that tallon rolls are white for him. Opens a LOT of mobility space especially with BB8, but not good for offence or defence particularly. Has EPT.

Beastie Boys going intergalactic

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

hoiyes posted:

Can't wait for my foo fighters to arrive to run this:

TIE/fo Fighter: · "Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
TIE/fo Fighter: · "As Omega" (20)
Push The Limit (3)
Comm Relay (3)
TIE/fo Fighter: · "Zeta Leader" (0)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
TIE/fo Fighter: · "Epsilon Leader" (19)
Comm Relay (3)
TIE/fo Fighter: Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Comm Relay (3)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/17/join-the-resistance/
The list that FFG built in their announcement looks like fun too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

Youngster's ability doesn't work on TIE FOs. It says it works on "TIE Fighters". FO's card says "TIE F/O Fighter".

You sure about that? Page 20 of the rules says that upgrade cards restricted to TIE fighter only work with TIE/fo's also. I think it's probably OK, but will definitely get an FAQ entry.
Efb

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/f7/1d/f71df063-0528-4ae5-8fda-66a3b8d89a6c/x-wing_faq_v4.pdf
New FAQ is up. Some clarification about Crack Shot, and the Blinded Pilot critical damage card.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Here's my favorite Poe/Miranda/B-Wing build:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!175:27,-1,3,-1:-1:15:;139:135,-1,-1,-1,61,-1,-1:-1:-1:;44:43,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:

B-Wing turns into a very annoying blocker with advanced sensors. Poe and Miranda dance circles and regenerate any glancing damage.

Punisher is fun, but not top tier. Deathrain is the best bomber in the game, and Redline is the best missile platform. But they're expensive for what they give you.

For my education, how does advanced sensors on a PS2 B-Wing help with blocking?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Rolling a bucket of dice on an A-Wing attack truly warms my heart

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

One question:
Does Latts' Razzi's ability to spend a target lock to reduce agility work on her own attacks?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Side note: it's called an At-At just like it's called a Humvee or Artoo.

What do you call the AT-ST then?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I picked up those new ultra pro 16 pocket mini card binder sheets and they are pretty great. I grouped bombs/missiles/torps together on a single page (which could accurately be called "cards I never use")

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

alg posted:

Where did you find them

At my local game store of all places. Desert Sky Games and Comics, but I don't think they sell online right now

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That TIE-D title with a tractor beam is going to be so gnarly when jousting. Pull a ship closer (maybe range 1!) and blast it while it rolls one fewer green die.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Strobe posted:

Tractor Beams are range 1-3 and just a single point. Bring enough of them, and his dice will gently caress him eventually, and in the meantime you're taking away his range bonus using a secondary weapon.

Also Tractor Beams are going to gently caress up Han real bad.

Yep. Thematically, it fits :v:

I had a great game with Latts Razzi putting some good damage on the Falcon due to having it roll zero dice, and thus never being able to trigger C3PO

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Does anyone else snap their fingers loudly when using the Crack Shot ability?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Tractor Beam and Chimps are going to be decent-but-not-meta-warping additions to the game?

I think you will only see beams used on just a handful of ships, but the chimps will bring us more dedicated ordnance boats. I don't think it will change the meta greatly, but just add to the diversity of ships fielded

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Sabre Squadron interceptors is an interesting choice. That's 42 points in some pretty fragile ships. I would run 3 black Squadron TIE s in their place errday instead. Put Crack Shot on em and we are really in business.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

High PS large ships with boost are maddening to play against.

Wife flew this list last night against me. I had a regen Poe, regen Wes, and PTL Jake.

Latts Razzi (33)
Ion Cannon (3)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Bossk (2)
Gunner (5)

Boba Fett (Scum) (39)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

[url=http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v3!s!133:22,-1,29,133,21,-1:-1:-1:;116:27,23,-1,122,-1,-1:-1:3:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

I focused down the toasted in the first 2 turns of shooting, and had my entire list (mostly) intact at that point. That big ship moving last was just a little too slippery for me to keep in arc, and I was outflown and even hit a few asteroids :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Peter Cushing chat led me to his wikipedia page, and this quote from Christopher Lee made me sad:

In an interview included on the DVD release of The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959), Lee said of his friend's death: "I don't want to sound gloomy, but at some point of your lives, every one of you will notice that you have in your life one person, one friend whom you love and care for very much. That person is so close to you that you are able to share some things only with him. For example, you can call that friend, and from the very first maniacal laugh or some other joke you will know who is at the other end of that line. We used to do that with him so often. And then when that person is gone, there will be nothing like that in your life ever again."

• Locked thread