Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
How accurate is the ReBoot animated series when it comes to depicting how computers work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
pretty sure it's a documentary.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
accurate but slowed down. see computers are way fast and in fact they are so fast that if u watched reboot happen in real time itd be over in less than a second, depending on the speed of ur computer. so they slowed it down for the benefit of the human audience. also the size of the city is determined by how much RAM u have

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Space-Pope posted:

accurate but slowed down. see computers are way fast and in fact they are so fast that if u watched reboot happen in real time itd be over in less than a second, depending on the speed of ur computer. so they slowed it down for the benefit of the human audience. also the size of the city is determined by how much RAM u have

i literally believed this as a child

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

still believe it as a manchild

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

how long till theres a Reboot reboot by michael bay

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Space-Pope posted:

Cool. I gathered as much because all they talk about on the show is seconds and nanoseconds. Good to have it confirmed though.

What about games? Since seeing the show I play games until the very last part and let the computer win so I don't nullify anybody. I do consider myself to have beaten the game at that point though.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
depends cause see there is bad data and good data. in the past when memory was really limited computer programmers didnt have to care so much, but now we can make sure that only bad data become bad vdeo game guys, and good data becomes good guys. so the next time u fight a whole bunch of vicious orcs in the mines of the red dwarf range, remember that ur actually the executioner for like a bunch of rapists and murderers, dispensing the hand of justice

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's very accurate. there are at least three v. busty women living in your computer right now

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i remember the 90s too

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Careful Drums posted:

i literally believed this as a child

whenever you win a video game you kill hundreds of innocents

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
game over

user wins

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Games are accurate and also necessary. Since the people in the computer go so fast they also breed that fast. Without any natural predators, aside from a few viruses which don't have a huge detriment to the population, the population explodes and they all starve each other out.

So even if your game lands on a hospital for orphans and wipes out a generations of life forms, they're dependant on these mass death events to stabilize population growth and prevent genocide.

Any moment you're not winning games you're literally Hitler.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
reboot was kinda boring but then suddenly (when they introduced THE WEB I guess) it became super interesting to my tween self's tastes. I can't really think of any shows that made this kinda jump in tone.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's very accurate. there are at least three v. busty women living in your computer right now

come play evony my lord
                                    /

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

what the poo poo? no it's not real. It's obviously not real. When you look in a computer you'd see nothing but ones and zeros.

What are you retarded? It's obviously like Tron

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I remember reading something about a reboot reboot a year or so ago. Anything ever happen with that?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rahu posted:

I remember reading something about a reboot reboot a year or so ago. Anything ever happen with that?

i think they produced or are going to produce a graphic novel

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

how accurate is Roughnecks re: space marining?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

same

• Locked thread