Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

For unpainted models, that's pretty small.
I expect they're going to be Runewars/Imperial Assault scale

Epic 40k (probably the best ruleset GW ever produced) but Star Wars would be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Has it been mentioned if the models are posable at all?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The size of a scale AT AT makes it very impractical for tabletop gaming, even on a 6' X 3' table. It's like the size of those nebulon frigates people make for Xwing.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I honestly can't see FFG making something that size for the game. They generally try to keep things accessible and that will be like 3x the size of a raider, which is already beyond a large number of people both in price and practicality. A lot of Xwings success, I believe comes from its portability and being able to chuck a squad in a plano to play a round at the FLGS after work. Obviously Legion will be more difficult in that respect but an at-at will definitely turn off more people in their target audience than it will attract. Unless of course there is an equivalent Epic mode.

Edit: not to mention basically requiring an airbrush to paint.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
You'd hope that each box is pretty self contained, though I can easily see commander models getting unique flavoured upgrades for their squads to fit their style.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I hadn't even thought of an ewok army led by C3PO. I'm in. Ewok gliders :f5:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Dice design is interesting with the surge conversion. Gives the designer a fine level of control over chance. It looks like Storm troopers are garbage shots vs rebels as they roll white dice vs black, but actually they have offensive surge conversion so that's 3/8 faces are hits, plus they have a reroll, compared to rebels 4/8 are hits on black dice. Plus storm troopers are more likely to take an aim action compared to rebels who get more benefit from dodge. The same with armour saves, storm troopers red dice have 3 faces that block hits, against the rebels 1 plus surge conversion, plus an infinite evade if they've dodged to help them under sustained fire.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

"SW is a rocky fandom right now" is an interesting line; I wonder if the rocky fandom really worries FFG's bean counters or if Star Wars fans are always going to eat up Star Wars stuff no matter what and just like to complain - in other words, just like any other fandom.
Eh I don't think it's fandom driving their sales at all. A majority of people I play Xwing with aren't playing it because it's Star Wars, and they love the universe. It's because there's not much us out there that does what it does even remotely. Likewise with Legion, it just a really nice system to go head to head with someone with. The core of both groups is 50% long time wargamers who have made it their core game and first time wargamers who saw an accessible entry point and the Star Wars hook was there to really help them into the game.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

Anybody have any luck with Legion? I bought the base set right before covid came around and then well...suddenly nobody to play it with :v:

The Legion Discord is your best bet. Lots of games online if you can bear TTS.

https://discord.gg/3TSCVC

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Locally Armada is going stronger than Xwing. Armada has a really strong core group, whereas Xwing used to be 3-4 times bigger but nowadays seems to only have a few players. Legion has probably the most players, but typical of wargames, they are very dispersed, and even for event don't all come together.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Is it just me or is the artwork for the next FFG Star Wars CCG really ugly? I much prefer the style they’ve been using for years (or some new more outlandish cartoon look). What they chose instead is suuuuuper bland and cheap.
They lost me at randomised boosters (rip ffg) but that art is rear end

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Afaict Shatterpoint was in development long before AMG got all the FFG games dumped on their lap and was designed to be "Crisis Protocol but Star Wars" rather than "Legion but Kill Team."
They did extend the olive branch with Legion: Kill Team: Spec Ops: the Beta Test. :thumbsup:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm still playing Legion and just finished up an all Wookiee army for the battleforce, but I'm definitely less invested in it than I was previously. As a competitive player, Ive watched AMG either ignore player feedback or misunderstand player feedback to fix things they don't like, under the guise of simplification, which is ridiculous because their design philosophy almost always chooses complexity over elegance and the amount of cruft they bolt onto their rules is ridiculous.
I've been playing the Song of Ice and Fire game, and although it has a lot of issues with timing and targeting edge cases, the core rules are so simple yet offer a huge scope of real decision points that it's refreshing and reminds me of legion before the clone wars factions. You can also reliably finish a full game within 90 minutes playing at a very casual pace, usually more like an hour.
I haven't played Shatterpoint and I never will because there's literally no wargames design choice I hate more than inscrutable dice rolls. The other player rolls their dice and I might as well not even watch them roll because then they play yahtzee with their unit card and tell me what happens.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
For Legion, yes. You need an invite from winning or placing at a certain sized event to qualify.

Edit: there's usually a last chance qualifier ran the day before to fill any remaining spots.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

shatterpoint, with a big caveat about the mixed success of the combat resolution. and armada, with a caveat about how the imperial fleet kinda turns into starfleet battles in a bad way
That the same Shatterpoint where the same list might include Luke Skywalker, Bariss Offee, Darth Maul, the Grand Inquisitor, Obiwan and a Stormtrooper sergeant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

drat I walked right into that one, just forgot to mention Grevious somehow.