Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Those minis look pretty good to me, pretty much Descent quality. Not bad at all for the price.

e: That'd be rad if they put a campaign in where you got to play as Imperials :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

alg posted:

My FLGS owner said he was told by his distributor that FFG raised the price of the game but not the MSRP because they aren't selling it outside of FLGS or something. Wonder if it's Asmodee related.

Correct, it will only be sold through hobby channels and via distributors specifically. The issue is that Hasbro, not FFG, has the license to Star Wars board games, but not miniature or role playing games. The price increase is no doubt the payout to Hasbro in exchange for not having the product pulled.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

alg posted:

Is this just from the rumors online or did someone from FFG say that?

My store got an email confirmation about it earlier this week from one of our distributors.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Shes Not Impressed posted:

You can strain up to 2 per action round. So for Jyn, she could theoretically move twice through strain, then 5 movement points as an action.

There are all kinds of times when, while I was playing Imperial Assault, I would strain for 2 movement just so I'd be able to make two attacks, or attack + interact on my turn.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Jyn's passives and Quick as a Whip can allows her to move around the map for all sorts of free movement points.
What really pisses me off as an Imperial player is the Wookie's charge ability. He'll barrel down an alleyway and completely wreck a group with cleave while Jyn can Quick Draw major attacks. The Trandoshan's and their endurance drain ability are great though.

Does anyone else play where they start the heroes out with their endurance tokens and then remove them as they use strain? When teaching the game, that felt more intuitive as a mechanic than adding it to the hero sheet over time.

We were already used to the system from Descent so it wasn't really an issue.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So you can always move your characters speed in move points during an activation, wherein you can use 2 actions. but the move action gives you your speed in movement so that you have more points to use in exchange for one of your 2 actions?

Example: Jyn has (i think?) 5 speed, meaning she has 5 movement points during an activation, and that means she can use her 2 actions spread out across those 5 move points(so assuming the campaign setting, i could move 3 into an enemies face,attack twice then move away 2?). But if i use a move action that gives her her speed in move points to use as well, meaning she'd be able to move 10, but only use one other action. At any time during all this she can strain herself twice to get 2 more move points

Is that all correct? That certainly makes the Rebels a fair bit more mobile and maybe games won't end in such close calls.

Also thanks for clearing up the turn order!

I know it's been said a few times already in the thread but this game is great! A shame the rules are so shoddily explained. Does normal Descent have this problem?

No. You have zero move points by default, so you can't move anywhere. Taking a move action gives you movement points equal to your speed value. If you were speed 5 and used the movement action, you'd gain 5 movement points to spend as you wish during the remainder of your activation. In addition, you can suffer 1 strain in order to receive 1 movement point, and you can do that twice per turn. You can move without using the move action by doing this, or by using a variety of class abilities or equipment that can give you movement points outside of taking the move action.

You may spend movement points at any time during your activation to move your model 1 square per point spent, just not in the middle of performing an action.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 7, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Are we talking about the X-Wing app? Because I think there was a problem with that in the first release. I could be misremembering though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Good to know, thanks.

I'm considering being irresponsible and ordering it through book depository and having it shipped to my new apartment in Japan. If it takes up less than an X-Wing game that should definitely fit on the small table.

The maps are small, but you'll still want room for the player sheets, cards, and miscellaneous tokens.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Is there a rule in Armada for flying your ships off the play area? I couldn't find it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Springfield Fatts posted:

As someone who played Battlefleet Gothic and liked it but no other "fleet" scale games and never playing X-Wing would I enjoy this? Or is it apples to oranges?

The actual rules are very different, yes, but as someone who loved BFG and was pretty lukewarm-to-okay with some other fleet games (Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada), I would suggest Armada. Personally I don't think I'll get into it because of the price point, which sucks, but I think it's a solid game as-is. We'll see how badly they can break the game with cloaking Star Destroyers or w/e later on.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So like X-Wing crits are absorbed by shields until there are no more shields right? That's when you start getting into what you were talking about before.

Didn't get the chance to play tonight, but i'm going to use this opportunity to read up a bit on the rules seems fairly straightfowards but this is still a FFG rulebook so wording is a bit odd on things. Doesn't seem nearly as bad as Impass was though where we were playing Strain completely rear end backwards for a little bit.

I believe it's the other way around, if you take any hull damage and any of the dice have a crit on them, the first faceup hull damage is a crit. You do not apply crit results to shields first. Although that's something you'll want to double check of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Orvin posted:

I had a lot of fun in my first game of Armada. I was the rebels in the intro game, and had a very closeness at the end of round 6. I killed all his TIE fighters, but only two damage on this VSD. I lost 1 X-Wing and my Corvette, so I lost on points. I got my Corvette going speed 4, and got behind the star destroyer for a couple shots in its rear end. But I could slow down enough to keep from dropping into its forward arc at short range. Some told me the trick of not being able to complete the move to force the ship to slow down and stay behind, but I didn't have the right angle to do that.

One question I do have, does it say in the manual somewhere that initiative changes each round? The manual seems to imply that it might in the rules for whatever the last step of each round is called. But nowhere did it seem to explicitly say initiative changes.

Initiative will depend on the scenario you're playing IIRC but I don't believe that it changes from round to round by default