Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

F&D update 4

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarWarsRPG/force-and-destiny/support/Beta%20Errata%204.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Enforcer can suffer strain to reduce the difficulty of Coerce checks. They can also help someone who is using Charm or Negotiate.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

I am about to start running this for some friends, I have the beginners box and we are going to do play that, then if we enjoy it pick up the proper rulebook, make some characters and get going.

One of my players really really wants to play a Mandalorian, but there are no rules for them that I can see. I was just going to let him play a re-skinned human, is that the best way of doing it?

Yup

If he has armor, there is armor in the core book.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Beta Update 6 is mostly about NPCs

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5123

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Do not do this. They are godawful.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I was surprised to enjoy Rebels, so I decided to check out The Clone Wars (despite hating almost everything to do with the prequels). The Clone Troopers, while I find the entire story premise of them ridiculous and dislike the concept, are basically the best part and the only competent individuals around. I honestly feel bad that they end up dying in droves because they're being commanded by 14 year olds.

I really liked the Mandalorians from the KotoR games, and am worried what I'll find if I keep watching The Clone Wars to see their take on it.

Back to the RPG though, are there any good tools for running it online?

In the OP :colbert:

This will roll dice within roll20. The character sheet will interact with this script to roll stuff right from the character sheet. It's awesome. PM me if you need art/map assets.

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/182569/script-edge-of-the-empire-dice-with-images-in-the-chat-window#post-1067084

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I don't like that there is no way to remove it if you happen to return to the light side.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Update 8: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5154

Battle Meditation looks a lot better.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

F&D update 9, more force power changes.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5204

alg
Mar 14, 2007

YES.

The Smuggler Sourcebook is called Fly Casual

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5205

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm assuming based on the art it's Faleen and Gotal + something.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I finally got one of the Adversary decks (the one Carteret didn't get for me at Worlds). Apparently my FLGS couldn't get them in, and shipping from FFG was absurd. I got the Citizens of the Galaxy deck. It has great art, the stats are very useful and easy to read. They are super convenient and I can see using them a ton for my games. Just about the only complaint I have is that they don't have a page number for where they can be found in books.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Swags posted:

I know there's at least one guy in the SWRPG subreddit that's trying to do a Mass Effect conversion, but I have no idea how far along he is.

Guys: I only have the Enter the Unknown (the best one, in my opinion), Dangerous Covenants, and Suns of Fortune. I've been out of the SW loop for a while. Are there any other supplements, and how good are they?

Read the OP :colbert:

Far Horizons has a lot of neat rules and great background content, imo.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Did FFG say it was coming out on the 1st of December?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This is all you need to know about the new Stay on Target article.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5231

alg
Mar 14, 2007

In our game last night, my players were assaulting an Imperial fortress that had an AT-ST outside. They wanted to attack the AT-ST as a diversion so they bought a missile tube. The ones in the book don't seem to be anti-vehicle weapons, even though they are described that way. I gave them rounds that were Planetary scale, 4 damage. That way they could do a few damage to the AT-ST per round fired. They were AP rounds though, so firing them at people was ineffective.

I checked Dangerous Covenants but didn't really see any portable anti-vehicle weapons. Anyone else run into this? They wanted to fly their ship in and use its guns to take out the AT-ST, but didn't want to split the party.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FishFood posted:

We've house ruled that to go from personal to planetary scale is only a factor of 5 instead of 10. It makes the anti-vehicle stuff a much more attractive option and lets you shoot speeder bikes with plain old blasters like in the movies. It also makes some of the smaller vehicle blasters closer to their personal counterparts. I think it's the quickest way to deal with that, but yeah, the interaction between personal and planetary scale is wonky. Having the two different scales makes it nice when you're doing one or the other, so you don't have to keep track of a bajillion vehicle hp, but I wish they had found a better way of going between them.

This seems like a good fix. AT-ATs are still tough as nails but lighter vehicles can be hurt by heavier personal weapons. I think I'll start using this :coffee:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

F&D beta final update has guidelines for using Morality with Duty & Obligation. They also made triggering Morality optional.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5235

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Every adventure my players enjoy smooth jizz.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Looks like Stay on Target might have E-Wings and definitely TIE Phantoms.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5256

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Stay On Target and the zombie RPG just went to shipping with a date of 12/23.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

Just picked up the beginner set for EotE, not even open yet. Anything I should know that's not obvious? Is this a good gateway RPG for the newbies in my group?

I think it is. The game itself is really easy to understand. Learning the dice takes about 5 minutes then it's all on the players to run with their advantages and triumphs.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Judgement posted:

I'm probably taking the plunge into running my own game soon after a few games of just being a player, and there's something that either I can't find or maybe just don't understand in the rulebook. Is there anything that really tells you how to actually build encounters? Maybe I was just hoping for some kind of 4E style xp budget, or even a challenge rating thing, but it just seems to be a big list of various mooks and a couple of sentences on how these NPC's are weaker than a PC, while these will be on par with one, but I can't really see how it all comes together. Are you meant to just kind of wing it, maybe fudge things a bit based on how dice get interpreted, and rely on the narrative to get you through? So far my players seem to all be building towards social and situational skills rather than combat, but I feel like it's not Star Wars if there aren't at least a couple spontaneous blaster fights and I don't want to overwhelm them by putting together an encounter they can't deal with.

I'm not sure which book you are using. In EotE, page 305 there are a few tips. Mostly - do the dice on an NPC look similar in number to your party? He will be a fair fight. Now add in some minions and rivals and you are good to go.

Same discussion is on page 333 in AoR.

What I found to work is to run a few easy encounters first to see how your party handles them. Gunfire in this game is tricky because your party can have a Trandoshan in armor with talents that has a soak of 8 alongside a Mon Calamari Doctor with heavy clothing with a soak of 2. I just think of the story when I'm running combats. It's not that interesting for the Doctor to get downed every single combat.

By the same token, my players love getting critical injuries that stick with them. Ie. getting mangled by a mad Wookiee and having a scar on their face, or cybernetic limbs. It just depends on your party.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

That might also allow for some of your players' "remove X number of setback dice" talents to become more useful, so it's worth keeping in mind how many of those talents are floating around in the party.

I would absolutely use setback dice for just this reason, beside the simplicity.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It will probably work but she will quickly tire of running into melee range, missing a melee roll, then getting smacked by various large enemies. I would just give her a dart gun with an allotment of ammo that has the damage/range of a holdout blaster with additional effects from the poisons.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've not had the combat difficulties y'all have had in my games. My players are about 200 earned XP in and nobody has died. Two people have gone unconscious, and there have been some critical injuries, but nobody has died. My players wear armor, even the squishy dudes. The Mechanic has soak 5. It gets kind of irritating as the GM sometimes trying to threaten the party.

I've only run a couple of AoR adventures, but they were squad level. Starship and vehicle combat worked OK. Since the FAQ ruled a player can heal hull on a ship, my players have taken a beating from a couple big ships but always managed to limp to a port to fix up.

I think if I were to have mass battles I would probably use the mass combat rules in Arda and only address what's going on for my players' squad.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Saga had a damage track that was awesome.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

House ruling advantages into successes just seems to take away the interesting part of the system and make most tasks far too easy. Using advantage to make something happen even though you failed is the fun part.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Stay on Target should be in stores today. I'll post up what I know about it when I pick it up on Friday.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

R-41 Starchasers in Stay on Target :allears:

There are some talents to increase the armor of a "Signature Vehicle", I guess a pilot's chosen vehicle.

A talent called "Fancy Paint Job" that lets you increase social skills around your signature vehicle, lol

"Showboat" - spend two strain to showboat during your next check. If you succeed on the check, gain a triumph. Otherwise gain a despair.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Oh man

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=282&esem=1

Fuckin' love that artwork and the maps look excellent.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

So do they expect everyone who bought the beta rules to buy the hardback? I mean I didn't buy it but a $30 beta rule set? WTFLOL

Not everyone. Some people loving Love Star Wars.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I really wish they'd release some of the supplemental stuff online, like the Rebellion Day prison break scenario.

PM me.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

susan posted:

So I'm in an EotE game that's starting up in a few weeks (yay!), and I wanted to plan ahead for some future ship modification and tweaking. I'm not 100% on the rules, so wanted to make sure I got this close to right:

Could I, on the Wayfarer Transport that we start out with for free, install an Advanced Targeting Array with a second Gunnery upgrade as well as the Sniper and True Aim innate talents for $7000, a Reinforced Shield Generator with three (oneregular plus two additional mods) Shield Points in my front arc for $5800, and two Quad-Linked Light Turbolaser Turrets (1 dorsal, 1 ventral, both Fire Arc All) for $60,000?

I'm not sure where you found the Quad linked light Turbolasers, I just see Light Turbolasers + Linked. Everything else looks fine, assuming you are able to roll well enough to purchase what you need and roll well enough to install it.

If it were my game I would make you remove the stock quad laser cannon to install a new turret.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

susan posted:

My (possibly wrong) interpretation of Linked was that one could add basically as many additional weapons on top of the first, for an additional 1/2 cost per additional linked gun. I wasn't sure about the whole Turret thing; I didn't seem to find any place that specified what could or couldn't be installed as a Turret, and so using the most liberal interpretation I could I assumed that one could install a massive linked weapon emplacement as a turret for the opportunity cost of a single Hardpoint. Like I said, I really don't know what I'm doing yet, and fully appreciate that some of these choices are wholly up to the GM.

Hmm yeah it does say two or more.

The text says when replacing a weapon, the new weapon gains the fire arc; when adding a new weapon altogether, the GM must decide what makes sense.

Just depends on what your GM says, but I would let my players do it if they wanted. Then again, my players never ever plan anything ahead with regards to character development and never look at modifications :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Here's Sons of Fortune for $13

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Edg...ASIN=1616616857

alg
Mar 14, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Does anyone have a line on any good space station maps/deckplans I could use for an Edge game? A smaller station, I want to use it as an Imperial Customs checkpoint/impound station.

PM me!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

homullus posted:

For each game, the adventure at the back of the book is different from both the Beginner Box and the one in the GM Kit.

And the beta :coolfish:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh? What was the EotE beta adventure like?

Capturing a bounty given to you by a dying droid.

edit: hmm that is the core book. beta was "Crates of Krayts". I haven't run it yet

alg fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

According to the upcoming page, Lords of Nal Hutta will be in stores 2/5