Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

This is a drat sexy OP. I like the rundown of all the released books.

Of course, that means alg is stuck updating it. With Force and Destiny coming out imminently, that's three product lines popping up new products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

But it's FFG, so that's, what, two book a month?

Two more times a month than most OPs need to be updated. :)

Regarding Jedi, there's of course still time for them to be different, since it actually is the beta. Personally, I like the generally-weak Jedi, because in a post-Yavin 4 campaign, most of them will be people who started out as something else. I like them still using their guns or whatever. I know it's meant as a standalone, but I think they function much better as an endgame for EotE and/or AoR.

I am also eager to see what signature abilities they come up with for Jedi (if there are any).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

They're exactly what they sound like, decks full of NPCs for your party to deal with. Each one has some artwork and a stat block on it. There are "Scum and Villany," "Citizens of the Galaxy" and "Imperials and Rebels" decks.

They look F&D specific because they use the black and gold color scheme, but they're universal.

These will be a big time-saver for me, even in online games, since I don't program enemy stats into the roll20 tokens (yet).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

I would try Under a Black Sun, it's free and intended to give people an intro to the game. Roll20 would work great instead of Skype, it runs in Hangouts.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarWarsRPG/edge-of-the-empire/adventures/Under%20a%20Black%20Sun%20HiRes.pdf

The only "problem" with Under a Black Sun is that it handles Obligation in way that's kind of different from the main game. Otherwise, it is all good fun. The Beginner Box adventure is a better introduction to all of the mechanics of the game (including the ones I don't like as much, for space combat).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Reminder for new thread: if you want digital map making goods, PM me.

Testimonial: alg has the goods.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hubis posted:

yeah, that's what we ruled at the table. Likewise, with Mechanic's Tools. It's a weird omission.

My books are all packed for a move, but I have a memory of seeing "right tools for the job" as a reason to give a boost die, but it would have been in the boost die section rather than the equipment. It's also possible I invented the memory to deal with the trauma of the discrepancy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You can also just, y'know, use the Star Wars one.

Edit: damnit

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

I'm not really the best judge since I just buy everything FFG makes for the line. I guess the career books aren't for everyone.

I think the career books are better than the adventures, though, since they contain ideas and hooks for parties with that career. In the case of Hired Guns in particular, many groups will act as mercenaries even if none of them are actually Hired Guns career-wise. The colonist book also has rules for upgrading the home base.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I mean, I guess if you guys came back and said that AoR Core book is just literally poo poo bound in hard cover, that might have swayed me.

If you already like the game, the worst book is merely good.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

I think once you've skipped to the actual violence part it, it's no longer coercion.

This is where I am on this one, though "use this other characteristic for this check" is already used in the design space, so you've got that backing up the idea of just replacing Brawn in there. The other suggestions (Brawn check for the assistance roll, boost dice for the Coercion roll) are great ways around it, though, if you just don't think flexing and breaking things are enough on their own.

I don't have the book in front of me, but there might even be a talent like that already in Dangerous Covenants, I recall one of the specializations (Enforcer?) was a lot more about intimidating people.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Back to the RPG though, are there any good tools for running it online?

Roll20 has a plugin thingy for the EotE dice in Hangouts, and there are now EotE character sheets available. Doesn't import from that amazing offline fan-built character builder, though, and the sheets are definitely ugly.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Doublepost, but wildly different topic:

How are people feeling about the Beta Updates to F&D? #7 added "Gain +1 of conflict at the start of the session" to anyone with the Terrify talent. I'm of two minds on it...Its a talent that VERY darkside in intent. And even if you're using it for good...you're textually SCARING THE poo poo out of NPCs. That's worth some conflict, but I dunno how I feel about gaining conflict just for having the talent at all. It feels like FFG is trying to take the line "Once you start down that dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" and make it a rule.

I hadn't seen that one. I like the use of Conflict in the design space, but having it attached to a TALENT for all time, regardless of Morality . . . hmm. Well, it's only +1, so if you are in general behaving in a moral way (and never scare anyone), it should rarely be a factor. Overall, I think I like it. Don't take Terrify if you don't want that to be part of who you are for the rest of the campaign.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Well, to be fair, the tree it's in is pretty conflict-heavy. And there are a couple people over on the FFG forums who say they're playing light-siders with that talent. From a a certain point of view, it makes sense; you learn how to abjectly terrify people amplified by your force powers, that's gonna be part of you. Someone equated to an alcoholic who's been sober for 25 years but still identifies as an addict and lives in constant apprehension of falling off the wagon.

Yes, this is actually what I was thinking of. The sober alcoholic who never touches a drink -- the former dark side user who never raises his lightsaber in anger -- will be fine.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Also just . . . not having all the enemies in the same place. Every set of enemies he has to close with is that many more chances for the others to get a good shot in, especially if closing with one group puts him further from (but still in range of) another.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

I finally got one of the Adversary decks (the one Carteret didn't get for me at Worlds). Apparently my FLGS couldn't get them in, and shipping from FFG was absurd. I got the Citizens of the Galaxy deck. It has great art, the stats are very useful and easy to read. They are super convenient and I can see using them a ton for my games. Just about the only complaint I have is that they don't have a page number for where they can be found in books.

I am guessing it's because they are nominally from a book that isn't out yet -- namely Force and Destiny Core.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I mentioned this before, but it's also worth making the players raise the stakes themselves. When Challenge dice are getting rolled and a player is getting cocky and doing something risky, ask the players before the roll what they think is the worst thing that could realistically ("realistically") happen. Despair comes up? It happens.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The fun thing about letting the party set the "what happens when Despair comes up" is that they're more likely to choose things that affect the party as a whole because endangering (not necessarily hurting) everyone IS worse than having the droid pop a sprocket or whatever. If Despair doesn't come up, hooray -- the player of IG-88 gets to do what he built the character to do! If Despair comes up, hooray -- dangerous hijinx ensue!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

I bet you could do it if you made some kind of unholy mashup of EotE and WHFRP3. I don't really have a good handle on the WH magic rules yet, but the dice systems are almost exactly the same. You could probably add the insanity and mutation cards from WH to EotE fairly easily. Or you could try lifting the magic system wholesale.

I think this would be the most satisfying answer, since WFRP3E has miscast cards that you could trigger on a Despair roll (Chaos sign in WFRP3E). The big difference in the dice system is that Warhammer gives different new dice to replace your straight ability dice, depending on whether you are performing the action conservatively or aggressively. Expertise (from training) is a separate die type from the stance. Lifting magic wholesale would require fiddling with any game elements that didn't make the jump (Warhammer separates fatigue and stress while Star Wars just has strain, for example).

Honestly, there were a couple things from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay that I would have kept for Star Wars -- the party sheets, to account for different groupings of squabbling fugitives or Rebel teams or Jedi, and the progress tracker to, well, show progress (including progress on things that the players don't know about, but can still see inching toward events).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm about to just let you write me up a setting document for the campaign, you're too good at this!

Also, I've decided how I'm gonna handle force sensitivity; if you want to be a force user, you MUST go through either Exile or Emergent, but if you want to branch from there into F&D specs and powers, I'm down with that.

Now I just need to decide how much starting XP to give. I want to go a little beyond standard chargen, but not have "high level" characters.

Just be careful -- some Force and Destiny stuff could break open your game at the operational level. Putting them through Exile/Emergent makes sense, but is a temporary brake.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I get frustrated with the ship combat (just ran the race in Jewel of Yavin) because it sometimes feels like uneven and misplaced depth (though it does mostly mirror combat between people). There isn't as much for non-pilots to do, and even less for non-gunners to do. In the absence of the rich tactical environments of terrestrial fights, you have to work harder to make it feel like something other than a series of die rolls. I think it works best when the players have a goal other than "shoot the enemies."

Aside from that, though, the game is amazing. I love the narrative dice and the freeform character development, and of course, I love Star Wars! The supplements are really excellent. I think you could pretty easily have a campaign that used all three core books, and it would arguably be closest to the movies: even as he becomes a Jedi and gains standing with the Republic (AoR's Duty), Anakin clearly has EotE's Obligation back on Tatooine, and F&D's Morality as a (galaxy-changing) concern as a young man.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Valatar posted:

In a crewed ship, the techies have their hands as full as the pilot and gunners. Star Wars consoles are nearly as explosive as Star Trek consoles, after all, and things will go south pretty fast for the party if someone isn't repairing the strain and damage to the ship throughout the fight.

I don't feel "make the one die roll you can, in this situation" is much more interesting than "do nothing," since there's no interesting choice. Do I make this totally-expected and straightforward Mechanics check, or do I just do nothing and let the ship blow up? Clearly I choose the former, but it's only nominally "something to do."

The Jewel of Yavin adventure features a cloud car grand prix through an obstacle-littered course at Cloud City; one player controlled the PCs' pilot and NPC gunner, while the other players got to control the other racers who had a chance of beating them (with bonus XP for making a good effort to win). Ship weapons do a lot of damage to small fighter craft, and speed absolutely kills. Three out of four players chose Punch It out of the gate, taking them to speed 4 (bad guys) or speed 5 (the souped-up PC cloud car). The issue here is that each leg of the race was a competitive Piloting(Planetary) check, and the difficulty for it is your speed. Speed 5 suddenly wasn't quite as awesome as it had appeared initially! For much of the race, the guy who'd chosen Accelerate for his first action was the one doing the best, because the Piloting checks were so much better and advantage/triumph could be spent to improve race position.

The boarding action thing, with a ship deck plan, is definitely more interesting.

As for why no new WFRP3e, I think that box set was a great value, but it is contrary to how most RPGs are sold now, so a simple reprint doesn't make as much sense. Also, I had heard that putting the special symbols on d10s was kind of a pain production-wise, so if that needed a second look, the whole game might? iono.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It seems weird that they have a problem with d10s, but not d6s, d8s or d12s.

Geometry or something! There's less material "behind" a symbol engraved near the points of a d10 than on the other dice, and less space there. There were lots of symbols on WFRP3e dice.

The cards were a blessing and a curse. A good app and/or character sheet generator is better, but cards are definitely better than pausing the action at the table to dig through five supplements for the exact text of your power.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

There needs to be a defense bonus for high speed. For example an A wing is fast, but has no armor so it's just as likely to get blown up at speed 1 than at speed 6. The best ships are tanky.

This isn't entirely true, since the lower Piloting check means greater chance of more successes, advantages, and triumphs. Those can be spent to make the opponent's check harder.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Azran posted:

I feel like Characteristics are a trap at Char Creation. Why wouldn't you increase them instead of getting talents/skill points? Do you guys do anything in particular to deal with this, like DTAS, or just give out more exp?

Characteristics are definitely the most worthwhile thing to do at creation, because you can't increase them later. They are VERY expensive relative to skills and top-level (cost 5) talents, so the amount you can increase is pretty limited. If you are following the XP guidelines in the book, though, you're giving ~15 per session, with some bonuses along the way. It's not long before players hit their first Dedication.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Looks like Stay on Target might have E-Wings and definitely TIE Phantoms.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5256

Also ways of making nexu cavalry.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Valatar posted:

There's more for the techie to do than repair hull trauma. There's also recovering system strain, which is really important in a space fight as unlike living creatures, vehicles don't get free strain recovery back from advantages in dice rolls and the ship is dead in the water if it runs out. There's also the chart of other various ship crew actions, and the techie would be good for any of the ones that use mechanics or computers, like Boost Shields, Jamming, Slice Enemy Systems, and Spoof Missiles. They've made a pretty good effort for giving people other than the pilot and gunners something to do.

But you see what I was saying, yes? The pilot gets to decide what the whole ship does -- speed, maneuvering, what to head for -- and the techie gets to roll the dice to see whether he is successful at whichever of those things is required. The gunner at least gets to decide which target to go for (if there're more than one). If there's only one techie and that many tasks that all need doing, then yes -- but then what are the non-techie, non-gunner, non-pilot characters doing? I think having something maybe about deciding where to put the ships energy might have given people more to actually decide.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Has anyone else here run Jewel of Yavin? Can we talk about it? The rules for running the race are very similar to the ones for running the auction, and yet where the auction has been going really well, the race was kind of a mechanical disaster -- the guy who chose not to max out his speed was doing better than those who Punched It, since you can spend Triumphs to add +3 to your "place". This also meant that people at speed 4 were behind the guy going speed 1 in the first round. Did I screw up the rules? What would make racing better?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

Just picked up the beginner set for EotE, not even open yet. Anything I should know that's not obvious? Is this a good gateway RPG for the newbies in my group?

--It's faster to use an app or roller for the dice, since it will total up stuff for you. Interpreting the dice is a fun part of the game; actually counting the symbols isn't.

--If you can't think of what else to do with Threat, just have it cost them strain. "The console starts sparking, but you get the switch flipped just before it shorts out for a moment! Suffer three strain." It's not always the most exciting option, but you just have to come up with something that's a little stressful, and then it's costing them resources.

--It is a very good "say yes, or roll dice" system, so you can really let them roll with their terrible ideas.

--The stormtroopers are deadlier than I think people expect (based on their ineptitude in the movies), and their range is longer than what most of the characters have.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I am gearing up for starting my party's first adventure together, but I'm a newbie GM with five newbie players. Right now I'm struggling with how to have the characters even meet and link up for the first time. Two know and travel with each other already, thankfully, but the rest are complete strangers.

I considered having them all meet in a cantina under stressful circumstances but since we ran the EotE beginner box adventure most of the way through I thought it might be a bit boring retreading that territory. The party consists roughly of the following:

• Droid performer, wanting to improve his art, influenced by whatever the Star Wars equivalent of Phil Collins would be
  • Jawa outlaw tech, tinkerer, programmed the droid performer to be his best friend though the droid has no inkling of this
  • Ortolan survivalist with a grudge against Max Rebo for always being mistaken for him
  • Trandoshan politico estranged from his family, overprotective of small aliens he mistakes for children
  • Verpine big game hunter, hunts big insects for own purposes and maybe a Hutt's collection (this one isn't solidified yet but I just realized I probably should suggest that she needs to hunt Hutts as giant slugs for her own collection...)

My friends have definitely opted for more comedic options off the bat, so that's probably the tone I'll keep throughout. I also intend to give them pretty heavy freedom, which is why I'd rather not start them out as a tight crew straight away.

Any suggestions? I realize I'm probably biting off way more than I can chew but I like a challenge.

They're all passengers on a tramp freighter when the pilot has a heart attack and dies in the cockpit in hyperspace. They now have a ship they have the deed for but didn't, uhh, buy per se. They have to dispose of the body (properly or no). And they have to deal with all the people who were after that pilot for whatever reason.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Strobe posted:

After taking the ship out of hyperspace, whether they end up where they were headed or not.

"That's . . . that's not Dantooine. We did say "Dantooine", didn't we? Blast."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Everblight posted:

Starting an Edge of the Empire game this Sunday, wanted to make "trade" a part of the game, with a little minigame rolled up in it. How does this sound:

-Six kinds of goods (food, medicine, clothing, luxuries, weapons (restricted) and drugs (illegal))

-Can be purchased in batches of 100 credits on first planet.

-On touchdown with a new planet, roll 6d6 (blanks that I can write on), one for each category, with two blank sides, one -, one --, one +, one ++.

-Goods sell for premium or cheap based on die roll while on-planet

-obviously story can influence this

Just give a little more heft to "you are smugglers/traders, make it worth something"

Thoughts?

Also, question: What's the best book (other than the core) for monsters? I always thought the main problem with EotE is cool monster stat blocks, and the monsters in the back of the book are horrid, ten different kinds of "mooks with a 2 in everything" and too many Imperial Governors who were never meant to fight in a laserblast shootout.

Keep in mind there actually rules for trading in the Core Rulebook. The drugs even have listings for single doses and larger batches.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Everblight posted:

I know there's a listing for drugs under gear. But I can't find anything about trading or smuggling, at least in terms of an interesting, vibrant economy. Care to cite a page?

You want "The Black Market" and "Selling and Trading", both on page 150 of the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Judgement posted:

I'm probably taking the plunge into running my own game soon after a few games of just being a player, and there's something that either I can't find or maybe just don't understand in the rulebook. Is there anything that really tells you how to actually build encounters? Maybe I was just hoping for some kind of 4E style xp budget, or even a challenge rating thing, but it just seems to be a big list of various mooks and a couple of sentences on how these NPC's are weaker than a PC, while these will be on par with one, but I can't really see how it all comes together. Are you meant to just kind of wing it, maybe fudge things a bit based on how dice get interpreted, and rely on the narrative to get you through? So far my players seem to all be building towards social and situational skills rather than combat, but I feel like it's not Star Wars if there aren't at least a couple spontaneous blaster fights and I don't want to overwhelm them by putting together an encounter they can't deal with.

Encounter building is "start your party out against really easy opponents and then start using harder ones once those are trivial." If the party is mostly social, regular bad dudes with 2 Agility and a rank in Ranged can be plenty challenging, since you can spend Destiny points to upgrade their combat checks.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I feel like throwing truly deadly adversaries at non-combatants still affords them an opportunity to roleplay pretty well if they're trying to do something other than take them head on, so long as they're not cornered. After all, if they wanted to butt heads all the time, why didn't they shift their character's focus more towards doing that? When trash-talking the scary bounty hunter fails miserably for the fast-talking politico, running away is probably pretty in-character rather than having to take him down with force.

Just be careful. A lucky shot can hit really hard. A regular blaster rifle with a good roll can drop a new character in one hit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It occurred to me that Destiny Points could be used like a combination of the progress trackers and the party sheet from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e. In addition to the normal spending, the GM could start with most/all light side points, and turn them dark as time runs out for whatever it is the party is trying to accomplish. You'd want to keep in mind how many you've turned dark due to added pressure and how many are dark because they'd spent them (and freely spend in any case), but it could give the players a little additional pressure. Too crazy?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Too confusing. If you need a timer just use one or keep giving the players larger amounts of setback dice representing the pressure they are under.

That's definitely another idea. On the other hand, it puts far more mechanical pressure on them -- losing access to Destiny Points doesn't make every roll worse, while adding progressively more setback dice does.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That might also allow for some of your players' "remove X number of setback dice" talents to become more useful, so it's worth keeping in mind how many of those talents are floating around in the party.

I like this Setback dice idea more now. Much more. This is excellent.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

The only concern is that each game line has a unique character mechanic. (Obligation, Duty, or Morality). I recommend sticking with a single one of those, based on what the tone of your campaign is; the bookkeeping of running multiples just isn't worth it.

I don't agree with this. They are not confusing mechanics, they do not overlap, and they change far less per session than strain or wounds. Obligation and Duty don't even necessarily change within a session. You can totally decide your Rebels don't have a past that's haunting them -- don't use Obligation, then! A past haunting you is the reason to use it! -- but having the two does a good job of modeling Han Solo's transition from zero to hero, for example.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Everblight posted:

So our CharGen session went well, we have six players with likely a player a session missing for various reasons, meaning their character "stays on the ship to guard it"

Question: One player is a Colonist/Doctor, and is an ex-Imperial Navy sawbones. She wants her weapon to be, like, hypo-sprays of various poisons. Poisons are very vague in the main book, so what we did was say she needs to make a Melee roll with her stimpak to get close enough to inject the poison, and I'm stealing the "Rule of Three" from Rogue Trader that she starts each away mission with 3 doses of each poison (and I made her buy 3-dose batches of the two she wanted at CharGen), and if she wants to take more on a particular away mission, she has to pay the per-dose amount before leaving the ship (as it represents consuming extra mats or whatever).

Will this work?

Or just encourage her to get the Pressure Point Talent and say that the massive strain damage bypassing soak is the chems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Can I inquire more about this since I'm having thoughts of acquiring the other books? Saying that playing the game the way it encourages you to doesn't work because of the system itself is a worrying statement.

I think the rules in all the books best support being a Han Solo or C-3PO. Second to that, they support being Luke or prequel Obi-Wan. The difference is just your motivation and preferred target.