Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Covok posted:

Yo, who else wants to play superhero Jedi in the High Republic? Going around with a laser sword killing space vikings in an era when everyone was actually not a fascist rear end in a top hat.

I'd be down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Azhais posted:

Anyone have experiences with roll20 vs foundry for this? Might be running a game with some friends and am looking for opinions

I personally prefer Foundry. It automates so much more, a much smoother interface, and much more modular and tweakable to do what you want.

Roll20 is probably going to be better if you don't want to put any money down, but if you want to mess around with lighting or other paid features of R20 I'd go foundry for a one time cost.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Azhais posted:

I've got gigabit and a proxmox cluster so hosting is not an issue. I didn't know about the oggdude integration, that's a pretty major plus for foundry on it's own. Thanks, I'll take a look at it

if you want to try it before you buy it, which I think is one of the biggest faults of Foundry's business model. hit me up. I can load a server.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

thorsilver posted:

So I've been playing DnD 5e during this interminable pandemic, and I've had real trouble trying to get anything else going. I've tried to convince my group to try FFG Wars with me, but I made the mistake of mentioning the 5e Star Wars conversion and they want to play that instead, but I definitely don't want to run that.

Anybody had any success tempting people to play Star Wars who feel 5e is the best RPG and there's no reason to play anything else? I really struggle to pitch this to them, and what I think are selling points -- unique narrative dice system that does a hell of a lot more than pass/fail/crit, etc. -- don't seem to move the needle.

Failing that, is there any place I might dig up a good online group? I'm not sure where to look now that the FFG forums got nuked.

Might be bad form but pull the beleaguered DM card and say "hey I really want to try and run this and if you all don't like it we can move off of it to something more familiar, but just give me a session or two running this for you all to humor me."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edge of Empire is generally considered to be the best one from what I've read. I've played it and it was pretty good. We then went to long arm of the Hutt.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 12, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Since it may come up next session: I'm having a hard time finding rules for cutting through things with a lightsaber. I know they have Breach 1, but I don't really know how they interact with something like carving through a blast door. Is that covered anywhere in the books?

There aren't any rules about it

What I would do is depending on the door and the situation, as the GM think about about how difficult this(or these) doors are going to be to cut through(Difficulty meaning time in this case).

If they are like just normal doors in a building, maybe trivial one round/action, if they are starship doors maybe harder, a 3-5 rounds depending on class of ship or whatever, or think about if the person who created the blast door would think to, or want this door to be impervious to lightsabers, and maybe they built some cortosis weave into it.

If Time isn't an issue then whatever they can cut through anything eventually, if time is a factor you could build an encounter around protecting the person doing the cutting or having to create a hole in a certain amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Azhais posted:

So, foundry havers, question: is it possible to import custom stuff from oggdude? The import is asking for a zip of the data directory but that isn't where that stuff is stored

Also, anyone have any good sources for star warsy maps, ship layouts, tokens, etc? Free or paid, I'm not opposed to spending money if there's good stuff on dtrpg or Patreon or something

Should should be able to do it.

Import the normal data first,

then Zip up the Data Custom and import that and it should work.

As the custom data has the same file structure as the normal data.