Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Has anyone tried the Mass Combat rules outside of the Onslaught at Arda adventure? How did it go? OaA has that railroad feel to it that others have mentioned; no options for character to take to the skies to fight the aerial battle, you're falling back even if you manage to keep the turrets and slaughter the Sandtroopers. On the one hand I see that it's a take on the escape from Hoth, on the other there should be a difference between the evacuation after the defenses hold and the one after they collapse. Any better stories about using the Mass Combat rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Bounty Hunter will get some sort of poisoner, I'd bet. They'll probably also get a melee spec of some sort.

Technician might get an Outlaw Tech sorta juryrigging spec, barring that I could see them getting some sort of EM warfare agent or something?

I'm more curious as to what the Bounty Hunter's Signature Abilities will be.

I'm almost certain one will be a "get out of certain death offscreen" power, Boba Fett and the Sarlacc style. The other one will be a tracking ability, like the Explorer's Unexpected Discovery but with targets instead of places.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Looselybased posted:

So is there a way to know what's at the end of your hyperspace jump? Like if a group of ships or mines are waiting at the end of a charted route? Is that something that could be sensed with a check or what?

Nope.

Well technically if you have a buddy in that system they can message you on holonet before you set out; I don''t know if you can send or receive holonet messages in hyperspace.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Turns out that tonight was all character creation using Edge of the Empire; I'll be playing a Twi'lek Explorer/Trader running from a business deal gone bad. I have a question though; how much does dumping initial XP into a single stat pigeonhole you later? I don't know if I want to pump Presence up to 5, or just boost it to 4 and raise a couple of other stats to 3. I can imagine role-playing either way, but I'm sure that I'd eventually get bored of a one-trick pony in terms of mechanics.

Also, amusingly, no character in our group has any mechanic skill. So if we ever have to fix our ship... :v:

Going all in would leave your Brawn at 1 which is a little dangerous. In general Explorers are a bit of a jack of all trades class anyway. better to spread the points around.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 24, 2015

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Everblight posted:

You're already taking a penalty for dual-wielding, there's another difficulty upgrade for firing while in melee. It's too many purps to make the extra damage worth it.

If you don't actually use the two at the same time it works fine, the increased difficulty only happens of you try to launch multiple attacks. If you find a pistol with medium or long range it can bee worthwhile, you don't need to spend a maneuver or two switching weapons you just fire the pistol until you want to charge and then use the sword. The pistols with long range are expensive though, the X-30 Lancer from Enter the Unknown is 1000 credits. Ion blaster or static pistol might also be effective since they'd grant capabilities the sword doesn't have, in spite of the fact they are only short range. The defensive bonus from the sword would still apply while firing the pistol if the character gets rushed.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

If the Rebels were to have a base that was super close to Coruscant (which assumingly is still the Empire's seat of power by the time the Original Trilogy is taking place) what planet would that be? I'd rather not have to make up a planet if i don't have to now that this wonderful book exists.

New Plympto in the Corellian Sector

Native inhabitants are the Nosaurians, they sided with the Separatists during the clone wars and at the end of the war all their combatants were massacred and their noncombatants enslaved. A few escaped and returned home but the planet is sparsely populated.

So to sum up:

-Temperate habitable world
-Few inhabitants
-Those inhabitants hate the Empire
-Lots of old clone war era bases and equipment lying around, good for disguising an active base as a long abandoned one
-Not super close to Coruscant but in the Core

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Thinking I've probably screwed something up, then. It mostly came down to initiative and how the players had a decent amount of slots before the troopers got to act.

In retrospect, does soak get multiplied for minion groups as well as the wound threshold? I'm not near the book at the moment, but that would explain it.

I think it goes as follows:

When you attack a minion group apply soak: any damage that goes through becomes wounds. If you exceed one minion's wound threshold than the rest of the damage from that hit applies the the next minion without being soaked again. This applies for the hit and not for the attack, so weapons with linked or auto that can cause multiple hits get damage reduction through soak on each hit.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

ShineDog posted:

Is there a solid way to make a soldier/slicer type? I'm consider bringing some characters over from another system for a trial and one of them is a soldier who hacks and rewires, in the vein of the "run a bypass" guy from aliens.

Start off as a Soldier than take a cross class specialization in slicer. Or start as a spy/slicer or technician/slicer than take the Recruit Universal specialization to get soldiering skill. Or just play Hired Gun/Demolitionist and he gets computers, mechanics and skulduggery.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

LLSix posted:

Yoda is something crazy like 900 years old and sustained by the force. Luke's dad could reasonably have been a couple of hundred years old when Luke was born. That's plenty of time for the clone wars and a lengthy collapse of the Republic if you need one.

I think the key point is that Luke and Leia are just shy of twenty when Episode IV occurs; it doesn't matter whether Anakin was 25 or 250 when he and their mother conceived them, it was around twenty years before. Unless he was getting it on in the full Vader suit, and unless Obi-wan literally stole Vader's kids instead of taking Anakin's, that means the Empire's formation and Anakin's turn to the dark side was always about 20 year or a little less before episode IV.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

jivjov posted:

He definitely fits the theming of colonist more than the letter of any of the three core book trees. Skill-wise he's a pilot though.

Explorer: Driver. He's always looking away to the horizon. Plus it gives him mechanics, gunnery, pilot planetary and space

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

jivjov posted:

So I asked on the FFG Facebook page for a hint on one of the new species options. I was told "Think tall and with 6 limbs".

Possibly Codru-Ji?

What About Besalisk?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Drone posted:

Was anyone else really put off by the fact that the saber Rey uses is the hand-me-down Anakin Skywalker lightsaber? The same one that Luke lost with his hand and that plummeted out of the ventilation chute on Cloud City and down into the Bespin atmosphere, being forever lost?

Not really. In the old EU both the hand and the lightsaber were recovered and the hand was used to clone Luuke Skywalker by Joruus C'baoth. Then I think Luke gave the blue saber to Mara Jade and I think she lost it later? So by comparison the new canon has 2 fewer dumb clones with an extra u in their names.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Nikto Bockwinkel

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

alg posted:

Don't they get free housing and food and poo poo

According to the Bloodlines novel most troops and junior officers don't get separate quarters. In a lot of Rebel bases they just convert a hanger or other large room and everyone gets cots.

quote:

In the Rebellion, Thane slept in an enormous bunker with a couple hundred other people, the majority of whom seemed to snore.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

jivjov posted:

On an unrelated note, I built an NPC Toydarian for my Colonist game that had Brawn 5 or 6...flavored it that he actually walked around on his legs because he was a huge gym rat and actually bulked up enough to not need to fly.

I tried building a Toydarian Marauder once. I ultimately dropped the character because I couldn't visualise what he'd looking like as a ripped toydarian.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

Oh we are going to get the empire to commit as many resources as we can get them to, goes without saying. But just because we hate the empire doesn't mean we want the terrorists to get out of this alive, we all have skin in that game, and we are going to be there too. If the terrorists are too prepared its our heads.

If you can cripple the terrorists transportation then you can sabotage the Empire to your hearts'/motivators' content. If they can't get away the EMpire is likely to try to drown them in troopers and vehicles, and you should be able to engineer high casualties.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Raged posted:

Bit of an odd question. In the WEG RPG there was a stun weapon called a street sweeper. It was basically a stun shotgun that was hilarious to use both positive and negative. Our worst shot in the group used it and many laughs/groans were had.

Any chance there is something like this in one of the books.

There is the ACP Array gun in Dangerous Covenants, and the Corondexx VES-700 Pulse Rifle in Fly Casual, both are basically blaster shotguns and both have stun settings.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In a couple weeks I'll be running a one shot while our DnD DM is out of town. One of my players has played before when I ran the Edge intro pack adventure while the rest of the party has never played before. How is the Force Awakens intro pack? I plan to bring all the premade characters from the other three intro packs and let them pick and choose. I would like to just run Edge again since I know it but I don't want to bore the one player.

I found that the adventure in the Force Awakens intro pack was kind of a mess, the characters aren't given a strong motivation to follow the set path other than "get off Jakku", it also shadows the movie too closely i felt.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

So in the current game I'm playing in I've got a Zabrak Marauder/Enforcer with the Enhance force tree. I'm tougher than all the other character by a mile but my offense feels a step behind with Brawling. Is this just a downside to the flexibility of brawling or have I taken a bad step?

I would post my talents and stuff but my sheet is at home :/ but my Brawn is currently a 5 since I know that matters.

Try the Martial Artist specialization from No Disintegrations, the Bounty Hunter Book. It's built around making your Brawl more effective.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I've played a couple sessions of EotE before, but we're starting a campaign next month. Are there any, like, trap options to watch out for? At this point I'm probably playing a Mercenary Soldier. I thought about a Marauder, but Force-users might be in the cards and it seems like that would just get overshadowed.
If you do play a Marauder just have a brawn of at least 4 and don't neglect your willpower; marauder doesn't get any strain threshold increases through grit. There are a bunch of good specializations for synergy. Bodyguard makes you more durable and gives you more options for long range combat. Shii-Cho Knight or Martial artist (bounty hunter book) will both improve close combat. Commando (Age of Rebellion) will help with durability and close quarter fighting. The knight only has three force talents in the tree so it's good for a non-force user as well. Enforcer from the hired gun book is a unarmed/social mixed specialization that doesn't do well on it's own but makes for a good second specialization.

I wouldn't recommend playing a Hutt because it's hard to get into melee with the low mobility, but just about any other species will do fine. Playing a swole member of one of the scrawnier species can be fun.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 19, 2019

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Now, how to play a Dathomirian male without being a Savage Oppress ripoff...

Don't have him chasing after his brother all the time? Or just not be a Zabrak.

The big trap option for Marauders is overspecialization. It's really tempting to increase your Brawn to 5 and then get some armor, with padded armor you can get your soak to 7 right out of the gate. But if you don't have options other then hit things up close then you are going to have a boring time in the first vehicle combat you're in. Having at least 2 in Agility and Willpower is probably a better bet than a Brawn of 5 if it comes down to a choice between them so you can use a turret or use the fire discipline action. Or you can grab a blaster rifle in a pinch if enemies are up on a ledge and you can't reach them.

Taking 5 obligation for 1000 credits is also useful, grab padded armor and a force pike and you'll be pretty strong. The only problem is that when you have soak 6 and a base damage of 7 with pierce 2 right out of the gate the GM may have difficulty creating threats that challenge you without turning the rest of the party into hamburger.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 20, 2019

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Marauders have 2 ranks of Enduring in their tree each giving +1 Soak; its trivial to be able to ignore the Burn trait on a Light Flame Projector, 5 wound damage each round until it goes out.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

So what's this I hear about starfighter combat not being super good? Is it a case of not everybody having something to do on-board the ship or just how the rules treat vehicles?

Related, does anybody have a fun notion for a freighter that can hold 4-6 Padawans?

I think the trick with Starfighter combat is that there is very little the ilot can do to make themselves harder to hit, which makes actions like Gain the Advantage inferior to just shooting every round. Which oddly enough makes Gunnery more important than piloting for your pilot. There just aren't that many talents that work like Dodge or other defensive talents that are usable in space combat. The rules actually do a decent job of providing tasks for the rest of the party to do if you're on a freighter, but flying snubfighters just isn't all that because of the vehicle combat rules.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There's a house rule called "Snap Roll" that helps with this. It got turned into the "Barrel Roll" talent for the Clone Pilot in Collapse of the Republic.

http://fragmentsfromtherim.blogspot.com/2015/02/suspending-rules-snap-roll-action.html

Are you sure that Specialization is in Collapse of the Republic? There's ARC trooper, Clone Commander, and Clone Veteran there; but no Clone Pilot. Is Clone Pilot in another book maybe?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
...And the alternative courses of action would likely include either Mind Tricks or using a Lightsaber. When the alternative strategies are using your powers for trickery or violence, just paying someone off is almost the high road.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is it possible to learn this power?

Explain to the player that any weapon that will hurt their character will shred their pilot and doctor buddies. Then point out that if they spread points around they can actually do things in a ship battle. Speaking as someone who loves playing as a Marauder getting me to limit my starting Brawn to 4 max was not hard.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
You can also reach the end of the Shii-Cho Knight passing through only one Force talent.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Are they specifically nonviolent or are non-injuring attacks permissible?

Any blaster with a stun setting can do strain damage. So can force pikes and a few other close combat weapons. If they grab the stunning blow talent from a specialization that has it they can inflict strain instead of wounds with any weapon that uses the melee skill. The Doctor specialization has a talent that lets unarmed attacks that deal strain, instead of wounds, ignore soak.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

I swear the rules said you could basically deal strain damage instead of wound damage at will am I just totally on crack?

You can when fighting unarmed, or with most brawl weapons (except vibroknuckles, blast knuckles, vamblades, and maybe some others). If you are using a blaster or melee weapon you need a stun setting or a talent

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
So is a Toydarian Marauder. Utterly rediculous, but deadly.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I would leave same initiative slots, no going twice, but as slots are left unfilled the remaining opponents use the most advantageous initiatives. So if you have three groups of minions opposing the party and one group gets wiped out, one initiative slot would be left unfilled unless reinforcements arrived, the remaining two groups would use the two better initiatives and leave the third empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Very few species in the FFG are pushed out of any role. Like a Wookie has a slightly higher Brawn but nothing outside of the possibilities for a human; everyone has a stat max of 6. So the long term effects of Ability score bonuses in D&D aren't really a thing in FFG Star Wars.

Like, the Twi'Lek has a slightly higher Presence, a slightly lower Brawn that will take 20 character creation XP to sort out, and can be easily raised to a brawn of 4 if you want them to hit things. Or Brawn of 2 and an Agility 4 if you want to be a pilot. Or a bunch of 3s if you want to be well rounded.

A Toydarian Marauder with a Vibro-axe kicks rear end by the way. Sure you can't be as brawny as a Wookiee or a human at Character Generation, but rough terrain doesn't slow you down so you will get into melee faster than anyone else. And Dedication, Talents, and Skills level the playing field between the Wookiee and the Toydarian pretty quickly. I refuse to do the accent though.