Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have the core Edge book, the Edge beginner's box and the Edge DM screen. My players aren't locked in on what they want to play yet; AoR and F&D are basically new setting core books, right? What other source books around the $30 range would be good to buy into? Or is it all predicated on how the campaign is going to be run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nothing to seehere posted:

Assuming your group will end up shooting people, Dangerous Coverents has a decent amount of guns and gear for your players to buy, and its relatively universal.

Are all the card decks fairly useless? I saw decks of NPCs and what I assume are decks of talents and stuff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My party will be meeting this weekend to create characters. I'm bringing my laptop with OggDude's character creator as well as the Edge book. Are there any suggestions for things to do/not do with regards to creation? I've read that you should spend the majority of your points on characteristics since those are harder to raise.

So far, the tentative party: Assassin Bounty Hunter Droid (he wants a four armed droid, that seems OK right?)
Trandoshan Scout
Mandalorian Body Guard
Twi'lek or Bothan Force User (she will probably start as another career and be awakened to the Force in the future)

I'll be running the Edge Beginner's Box adventure and was also wondering about advice for it. I saw someone down thread mention that the book expects the PCs to know they have to get the ship unclamped ( which makes no sense) and it also seems silly to me that the bartender would just tell them about some guy's ship they can steal oh but also they need a part for it and to get out of his bar.

EDIT: I forgot a couple things. How worried about obligation should I be? I was thinking the ship they steal will end up with a few bits of armor and whatever weapons they want and I guess add to their obligation since the guy who owns the ship is going to be pissed. Also is there a better ship to give them? A YY-1300 feels a little cliche but maybe that's OK for Star Wars..

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 9, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ran the Beginner's Box adventure today for the 3 PCs that were able to show up. My players surprised me with creativity a few times and everyone loves the dice system and how it lets you be cinematic and adds to the narrative.

-Convinced Vorn that they were there to get the Hypermatter part for Trex and that Trex would be along shortly to pay him.

-Stole his R5 Droid by removing the restraining bolt, heaving it up a junk pile and over the fence, then the Bothan Doctor stunned him in the back when he came out to investigate the noise. They shoved him in a closet and the Trandoshan Scout emptied his cash register. I was actually going to try and push them towards "freeing" the R5 unit since we were a PC short and none of them had piloting or mechanics but that was pretty much the first thing they decided to do once they were alone with him. The R5 was all too happy to have the restraining bolt removed and go with some people that were probably less abusive than Vorn.

-When they went to Spaceport Control (to get permission to leave with Trax's ship, docking clamps are dumb) they split up; the Mandalorian Human went with R5 to the ship while the other two sneaked into the back door. They flipped a light side point for there to be two spare uniforms in the backroom, one of them grabbed a cup of caf and strolled out like he worked there. The technician nearest was suspicious of the Bothan because she was acting very nervously and sweating so the Trandoshan shoved her back into the room and made up a story that she was a bar floozy. He failed the Deception but used his advantages for an alert to go off on the technician's screen and he went to handle that instead of questioning the PC. The Trandoshan then sat down, spilling his caf on the keyboard.

-Meanwhile the Mandalorian tells the security droids at the spaceport that the R5 is there to install the part and since he's been on the fritz, the PC is there to watch the droid. The security believe him but radio back to Trex who meets them at the boarding ramp. Another successful Deception and Trex gives the payment for the part to the PC and they go in to install the part, with Trex watching the cameras from the front.

-Back at Spaceport Control, the untrained Trandoshan manages to slice clearance codes for the ship in but sets off an alarm, bringing the attention of Overseer Brynn. She demands to know what he is doing, he completely botches the Deception roll, and is thrown out by security droids. He "accidentally" spills the rest of his caf on a vital part of the console to cover his tracks. The Bothan meets him outside where they are spotted by the Stormtroopers who have landed.

-Someone in this thread mentioned their players shooting down the Water Tower on top of the troopers; turns out this is a common tactic! The Bothan shot at it while the Trandoshan ran up and took a few turns to push on it, eventually crushing a trooper that was running to him and washing away the other two, as well as ruining the water for this poor town.

-They cheese it towards the Krayt Fang, where Trex and the Mandalorian are walking down the street after they hear blaster fire and the water tower collapsing. Mandalorian notices the other two running towards the ship from an alley between them, Trex doesn't. They start heading back towards the ship, the PC pulls out his Vibrosword and slams it down into the right shoulder of Trex and throws him facedown into a nearby alley. At the same time the other two PCs reach the entrance and start blasting at the two droids standing guard. A somewhat long fight ensues, which ends with the Mandalorian doing a final crit to put down Trex, crippling his right shoulder and arm and leaving him for dead, then cleaving through the last two security droids.

-They fly away in the ship without checking any rooms, shoot down two TIE Fighters (this was really fast) and fly into hyperspace with whatever coordinates Trex had preset.

So, tl;dr: PCs kill three of Teemo's Gamorrean guards, stun and rob a shopkeeper of his cash and droid, destroy the only water tower in a town run by Teemo, kill a Stormtrooper, ruin a Spaceport Control console, steal credits from and leave a bounty hunter dying in an alley with a crippled arm and then steal his ship and finally blow up two TIE Fighters on their way out. Boy oh boy are they going to be in for it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm still not too sure how to work the Obligation system. I gave them all 15 to start, letting them choose based off their background stories and they all took the bonus credits. Should I rework that so they all have obligation to Teemo, maybe with just 5 or so of the obligation they already had and more with Teemo? Does anyone roll at the start of a session to determine which obligation will take precedence?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What would the best career/specialization for a grim, chain smoking, human reporter who is always hiding from the Empire while writing pieces about their atrocities? Politico and something?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the best way to go about building a Rival/Nemesis? I have the Character Generator program so I'm able to build an Inquisitor which is fine but I'd like to upgrade Trex from the beginner box to a real opponent, as well as build some droids that will figure into the Assassin Droid's story. Should I just use the same amount of XP as the player's have and give them the Nemesis talent? Is that even a thing?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My players continue to surprise me; we had our third session today (a new record) and it did not go as expected.

I've been running Long Arm Of The Hutt to continue from the Beginner's Box. This session they arrived at the mining settlement to try and take care of Angu and his mercenaries who are harassing the settlement so they can take over the ryll mine. Our Bothan doctor, who has learned a lot the last few days, is doing her best not to murder everyone. But when some of the mercenaries drunkenly crashed a construction vehicle into the settlement then attacked the PCs and lost, she was not afraid to interrogate one of the two living guys. She used Deception to convince him that she had poisoned the guy and he spilled everything he knew about his boss.

The next morning, they snuck into the compound, stole all the info from his computer, planted bombs in their (empty) apartment building, and jacked a Z-95. They used it to destroy the OTHER Z, blew up the rest of the construction vehicles, and hightailed it out of there. The Trandoshan pilot attempted to spell his name in the sand with the ship lasers but hosed it up so the mercs had no idea who just blew them up but decided it was probably the mining settlement.

The PCs used their time wisely while waiting for the mercs to trek the couple miles across the desert to meet them. Angu points a gun at the leader and demands reparations and the deed to the mining settlement. The pilot hovers the Z above the sand pile it was hidden behind and the hired gun points out the buried explosives underneath the mercenaries. They promptly surrendered, signed over THEIR deed to the land nearby and got shuttled off to the spaceport.

What they don't know is that the assassin droid PC (who couldn't make it) has been remotely controlled by someone using a hidden restraining bolt to gather information about the PCs. And this person is under the command of an Inquisitor who specializes in wiping out force sensitives and their families. Who has been tracking down the relatives of a force sensitive Bothan she killed. We haven't hashed it out yet but this Inquisitor will be instrumental in the Bothan doctor realizing she has a connection to the force. Exciting times in the Edge!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zodack posted:

Hey can we trade players? Just asking.

Look when I saw that our third session was a new record, I meant it. We have literally, as a group of friends, for the last 15 years that we've known about RPGs, never gotten more than two sessions of any campaign or system. Something *always* goes wrong and it peters out. I'm going to force this gravy train through the station as long as I can.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Destiny points, by design, can't be spent on the same check more than once. If you flip a dark point to upgrade a check, they can't flip a light point to downgrade it.

By the same token, spending Advantage doesn't work how you described. Since initiative is on a NPC/PC basis and not by individual character basis, you don't say "I will give X player a boost". Instead, you say "I will give the next PC slot a boost/the next NPC slot a setback".

This means there is no way to stack boosts on a PC and you can only stack onto an NPC if there is one NPC only.

However Rule 0 exists so you can run it how you like.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah what those guys said.

*scribbles notes furiously*

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Adventure idea: PCs are on a backwater water planet in the biggest town around. Said town has a problem with "werewolves" which are a local legend that has been told for generations.

Blasters don't seem to hurt them, only these silver bullets and a slug thrower that the elders keep locked up.

The PCs, not being backwater yokels, discover that the silver bullets are actually made from a highly radioactive material. The villagers are resistant to radiation since they've basically been living above a crashed ship for centuries, a ship that is still leaking radiation and is now getting close to exploding. The bullets have been made by melting down scrap they find scattered around.

Goals: Figure out what the hell the werewolves are, kill or pacify them, and either convince they villagers to leave or figure out a way down to the ship to shut down the reactor.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Malthusian posted:

Serious question: Is radiation even a thing in Star Wars though?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Radiation/Legends

quote:

During the Invasion of Naboo and the subsequent Clone Wars, radiation launchers were used by the battle droid forces of the CIS. They were known to have devastating effects.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finally finished up Long Arm of the Hutt after starting in December and struggling to get sessions in due to scheduling and life.

-The Droid bought some climbing gear from Vorn then stunned him in the back and stole two thermal detonators. Vorn is not a happy man.

-Droid and Mandalorian climbed the bluffs behind the palace, stunned the guy on the laser cannon, and snuck into the computer room.

-After a few botched computer checks, the Trandoshan set off the explosives planted in the barracks and started sniping the guards who ran out of the palace.

-Things happen, the Bothan runs around behind and climbs up the landing bay to the computer room so someone competent can try and find information. She eventually finds enough to incriminate Teemo but as she's copying the last bit of info, she notices an Imperial ship landing at the bay.

-She tells the Droid, he walks out with a thermal detonator in his hands and finds a woman in dark clothes and a robe, followed by another Droid with a datapad that looks very similar to his own unique design.

-Inquisitor lady tosses the detonator off the cliff and the Droid enables the restraining bolt built into the PC. She strolls inside while the Droid runs diagnostics.

-The Trandoshan and Mandalorian avoid the woman like the plague and go back to fighting Teemo's goons, including Trex who now has a bionic but still healing arm and a Rival upgrade.

-The Inquisitor finds the Bothan in the server room, pulls out a green lightsaber, and basically tells her its time to die. The Bothan's uncle, a Jedi that had been in hiding and recently slain by the Inquisitor, spoke to her and basically helped guide her into realizing her Force abilities.

-The Bothan pulls her Uncle's Lightsaber from the Inquisitors hand and charges her. At this point she hits and rolls a natural loving 100 on a Triumph crit, chopping the Inquisitor's non-lightsaber hand off. This was entirely unexpected and 100% amazing.

The Inquisitor flees, not expecting anything like this, right past the Droid PC who has managed to internally disable his restraining bolt and shut down the other Droid. The PC sees her run towards the ship, and he chucks the second thermal detonator into the ship after she's in it, with a 1 minute timer.

-More combat happens, Trex jumps into the gladiator pit to escape because he's outgunned, and Teemo gives up. The Mandalorian chases Trex from another direction and, for some reason, moves closer to the landing bay.

-The thermal detonator explodes and takes out the landing boy and a large chunk of the palace on that side, knocking two PCs out and burying the Mandalorian in rubble.

-The Trandoshan robs Teemo at gunpoint because of course he does.

Everyone is happy except maybe the Mandalorian who ran into an explosion.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I got lucky and snagged them from CSI at some point; my FLGS hasn't gotten them in since before December but they're flush with the talent decks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

In a couple weeks I'll be running a one shot while our DnD DM is out of town. One of my players has played before when I ran the Edge intro pack adventure while the rest of the party has never played before. How is the Force Awakens intro pack? I plan to bring all the premade characters from the other three intro packs and let them pick and choose. I would like to just run Edge again since I know it but I don't want to bore the one player.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I will probably end up buying Force Awakens even if I don't run it, for those sweet tokens and extra dice. Maybe I'll just check with the player who has already played the EotE beginner and see what she remembers/change some things.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Does it... does it come with a Poe Dameron token? I'm asking for a friend.

:shrug:

I've made my own tokens with a circle cutter, thin cardboard and a glue stick.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fuzz posted:

You inhale Booster Blue. It's a type of paint.

Clearly you've never met a drug addicted Ace pilot :shepface:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My Star Wars game was delayed and now I'll be running it in a couple weeks. Any recommendations for changing up the EotE starter set adventure? I'll have one or two players that went through it over a year ago and I don't want to bore them. One of them did choose a character from the TFA starter so she can have her ship already docked in the city but what else can I change around or add?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a list of what books have which ship stats? I'm looking for the G1-A Starfighter but a general list would also be helpful.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You're a peach!

They haven't released stats for that ship :argh:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Would lightning storms be something plausible on a desert planet like Tattooine, perhaps in conjunction with a dust storm? I want to make the PC's exit from Mos Shuuta a bit more dramatic and put them on a time limit to see what they come up with. An approaching dust storm will make them want to get out in a hurry, risk flying through, or getting stuck on planet. Some lightning and thunder would just add to the ambience.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cool. They may have to decide between flying through the static-y dust storm or take on the TIE Fighters that are launching.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I shat out some alternate Everyone Is John rules in five minutes. Sure you could just use a six sided but where's the fun in that when you have EotE dice?

quote:

Everyone Is A Jawa

Roll one green and one purple for any roll, or a yellow and purple for a skill.

Any player can flip a dark side point they have to increase the purple to a red or add another purple, or flip a light side they have to add a green or change a green to yellow. This includes the roll for control. When a dice is changed this way, it cannot be modified further.

Uncanceled advantage and threat are turned into boost and setback dice, respectively, which can be added to any roll, including a roll for control.

Willpower points are the destiny tokens. Players put their starting tokens in hand, shake them and drop them on the table to determine which side they start on.

When rolling for control, everyone rolls one green and one purple, plus any modifiers or extra dice. The player with the most amount of successes gains control; advantages are a tie breaker. Roll again for a further tie.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 1, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Took the 5E DnD crew through some Edge while the GM is out of town. Was going to do something different next week but they practically demanded we play this more.

Adding a time limit of the incoming dust storm to the beginner box adventure really gave them a sense of urgency, and they only murdered some Stormtroopers and Gammoreans. And knocked out poor Vorn and stole his Droid, just like the other group I've run for.

I set them up with a 50k each bounty that they didn't know existed until they had landed on planet, after their hyperdrive and engines mysteriously blew up upon exiting hyperspace. Now I have to figure out a way for them to find out why they have bounties for murder and sedition, and get them cleared or at least go on the run.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Oh they know about the bounties but they don't know why. They did immediately accuse the bounty hunter in the party.

My initial thought is that they were just some convenient scapegoats while they were on that last smuggling mission, and the engine sabotage was supposed to kill them to cover up the loose end. Now whoever setup that sabotage has to send someone or themselves to kill the PCs. They can't risk them getting turned in for the bounty; odds are low but the Empire could take a closer look and realize it wasn't the PCs.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would kill for a map pack full of locations that you could slot in. A few cantinas, some spaceports, alleyways, etc. I'd rather pay for that than print things.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wrote up the general outline for my PCs to get their name cleared. This will be way more On The Fly then I'm used to but I need to get better at it, so into the flames we go. I think I only wrote down two checks to be made, I'll just have to make up the rest at the time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Discounting the twenty minute rides between planets that Abrams likes, what's the general speed of lightspeed in this game? Halfway across the Galaxy takes a day, ten hours, a week?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Good to know. Currently have four PCs flying around in a G-1A, which has room for two people to live uncomfortably. Next week will have a couple extra PCs before we finish up. If we continue after this mini session, a new ship will have to be in the cards. Or they can just keep squeezing in.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm on mobile and can't look; when a weapon's range is listed as Long, that means it can shoot from long range without penalty? Or can you just not fire past that range?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That's what I thought. Long is four purple, medium/short is two, one for close, I believe.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That sounds better. I knew two of them shared a difficulty.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Speaking of improbable rolls; when I ran a one shot a few weeks ago, there were no less than seven or eight completely cancelled rolls, leading to literally Just A Failure. Everyone had a good time with my conniption fits after the third or fourth time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FuriousAngle posted:

Please tell me it was Stormtroopers making all those Just A Failure rolls.

That was all them! Later though, the Assassin Droid that was attacking them rolled something like, 7 successes and a couple advantage. Felt good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bowmore posted:

I have the Edge of the Empire core book, what should I grab next?

I was thinking Edge of the Empire beginner game because I need another set of dice

Yes, do that. More dice, couple maps you can repurpose if needed, and a bunch of useful character tokens.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

This, or get into imperial assault so you can make a map with minis. :getin: Every time people say they didn't need maps and just used "abstraction", like with old D&D 2e or whatever, they were straight up lying or cheating distances.

Do those Imperial Assault booster packs come with figures? And are they random? I've never looked closely.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is the best version of Thrawn, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I got to play a game of Edge with Sterling Hershey GMing, at GenCon. He signed my character stand.

I knew I should have brought my Edge book :argh: