Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

So I ran into something interesting tonight. I rolled both a Triumph and a Despair on an attack roll.

My understanding is that neither Triumph nor Despair can be cancelled. Unless I'm misunderstanding it completely this raises interesting questions. So here are a few:

If a character makes an attack roll and receives three successes, one triumph, and one despair, does this mean:
1) The attack succeeds because it has more net successes?
2) With how many successes? 3 or 4?
3) Does the character both suffer a despair and enjoy a triumph? Like they crit but also run out of ammo?

1) Yes
2) Despair will count as 1 failure and triumph as 1 success for a total of 4 successes vs 1 failure. Meaning you end up with 3 successes
3) Yes. They can cause the critical and run out of ammo if thats what you end up spending them on.

FuriousAngle posted:

What if the attack roll had just one triumph and one despair? Would the attack succeed, enjoying only a single success while critting and running out of ammo?

I appreciate any help on this matter. The dice system is fantastic because it gives so many options, but in some cases its open-ended nature makes it difficult for me to fully grasp without asking for help.

If your final result was 1 Triumph and 1 Despair, the 1 success and 1 failure would cancel out resulting in the attack failing. This means that both something awesome happened despite the attack failing AND something awful happened. A good example is say, you fire at some stormtroopers who are chasing you and you miss but shoot out the control panel so that the door they are trying to get to closes in front of them. The despair could mean the weapon runs out of ammo but it could also mean the hanger door your ship is parked in opens up only to reveal the black robed figure you've been running from etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FuriousAngle posted:

So I ran into something interesting tonight. I rolled both a Triumph and a Despair on an attack roll.

My understanding is that neither Triumph nor Despair can be cancelled. Unless I'm misunderstanding it completely this raises interesting questions. So here are a few:

If a character makes an attack roll and receives three successes, one triumph, and one despair, does this mean:
1) The attack succeeds because it has more net successes?
2) With how many successes? 3 or 4?
3) Does the character both suffer a despair and enjoy a triumph? Like they crit but also run out of ammo?

What if the attack roll had just one triumph and one despair? Would the attack succeed, enjoying only a single success while critting and running out of ammo?

I appreciate any help on this matter. The dice system is fantastic because it gives so many options, but in some cases its open-ended nature makes it difficult for me to fully grasp without asking for help.

As I understand it:

A Triumph also counts as a Success, and a Despair also counts as a Failure. The Success/Failure component can be cancelled out, but not the Triumph/Despair component. So, you failed the roll (no net Successes) but had both a Triumph and a Despair.

Your questions, in order:

1) Yes
2) 3: 3+1-1
3) This is correct.

Let me know if I've got it wrong.

EDIT:

Crumbletron posted:

Triumph counts as a success but a despair does not count as a failure. They do give separate effects, so you could crit and run out of ammo.

The bolded part is not correct.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 25, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
So essentially what it sounds like is that when it says "Triumph and Despair do not completely cancel each other out" it means that the "success" and "Failure" parts DO cancel each other out, but the "Awesome thing" and "Terrible Thing" do not cancel each other out? And does this mean a Triumph's "success" element can be cancelled by a regular "failure" result, but the "awesome thing" still happens?

ie. On a roll of 3 failure and 1 triumph, the action still fails but something really rad happens?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yes, exactly. Eg: roll to hack into imperial comms, get failures and a triumph, fail to hack into their comms, but get something else like their operational plans or something.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
My bad on the despair not being a failure, I guess my group's been doing that wrong

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Crumbletron posted:

My bad on the despair not being a failure, I guess my group's been doing that wrong

It's cool. My groups have been doing LOTS of things wrong :) I appreciate the help though!

And thanks for everyone who threw in here. I'm thankful for the clarification!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Speaking of improbable rolls; when I ran a one shot a few weeks ago, there were no less than seven or eight completely cancelled rolls, leading to literally Just A Failure. Everyone had a good time with my conniption fits after the third or fourth time.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of improbable rolls; when I ran a one shot a few weeks ago, there were no less than seven or eight completely cancelled rolls, leading to literally Just A Failure. Everyone had a good time with my conniption fits after the third or fourth time.

Please tell me it was Stormtroopers making all those Just A Failure rolls.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

Every. Goddamn. Time.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

kingcom posted:

Every. Goddamn. Time.

Oh man, that's rough. It reinforces the notion that every single player has that the Stormtroopers are non-threats and can be mocked and laughed off.

I got lucky with the first session with my newest group. Three squads of troopers managed to beat the snot out of the players.

Hope your troopers roll more interestingly in the future!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

FuriousAngle posted:

Oh man, that's rough. It reinforces the notion that every single player has that the Stormtroopers are non-threats and can be mocked and laughed off.

I got lucky with the first session with my newest group. Three squads of troopers managed to beat the snot out of the players.

I kinda wish my group had the chance for that mindset. Every time the bucketheads show up for us, someone gets royally hosed up.

Like the time our melee monster got delimbed by a basic-rear end Stormtrooper. With a knife.

We kidnapped that guy and turned him over to our intelligence contact, because holy poo poo.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I'm glad the Lone Stormtrooper is making an appearance in the new version

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FuriousAngle posted:

That was all them! Later though, the Assassin Droid that was attacking them rolled something like, 7 successes and a couple advantage. Felt good.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

First time I ever rolled a despair while shooting into a melee was a squad of stormtroopers gunning down their buddies. On paper they are legit really dangerous to new/low level characters but its amazing how the dice just turn them into movie stormtroopers every time lol.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have the Edge of the Empire core book, what should I grab next?

I was thinking Edge of the Empire beginner game because I need another set of dice

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bowmore posted:

I have the Edge of the Empire core book, what should I grab next?

I was thinking Edge of the Empire beginner game because I need another set of dice

Yes, do that. More dice, couple maps you can repurpose if needed, and a bunch of useful character tokens.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Speaking of the Edge of the Empire beginner game, I'm partway through the first ship-board encounter. (Avoiding specific details in case people in the thread care about spoilers in a published module.) We paused for last weekend once everyone was in a position to be on-board, though combat had already started. To give further background on the group, we are using the four pre-gen characters, though halfway through encounters, one player tends to need to depart. We resolve this as that character simply going "off-screen", contributing but not being cinematically-focused on.

The quantity of enemies in that encounter seems to be difficult for the players to handle. To this end, I have had two of the four weaker enemies locked outside of the ship attempting but "failing" to get back in, to try to even the odds for the three PCs inside the ship. Does this seem like a fair solution, or am I taking it too easy on them this way? All players and enemies are currently at no wounds or strain.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
So a couple of questions:

1. Awhile back (well before Force & Destiny) somebody linked me to a couple of amateurish but somewhat useful cheat sheets for things like spending advantage and such. Does anybody have any updated ones? Or any cheat sheets for force powers? I can make my own but I figured I'd ask before I do.

2. Does anybody have a quick and easy way of tracking peoples range bands? It seems significantly more complicated to me when you consider you have five to seven people in a given combat (or more), and just because Bob is at Short with Stormtrooper #1 doesn't mean he is with Stormtrooper #2 and when one of t hem moves it really seems to make things complicated. Is there some kinda of shortcut for this range band system that my brain isn't figuring out?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Darius099 posted:

2. Does anybody have a quick and easy way of tracking peoples range bands?

Small dry erase board laid flat with tokens on it to represent people. That way you can draw a rough representation of the combat area and players have an idea of where they are in relation to enemies.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

nelson posted:

Small dry erase board laid flat with tokens on it to represent people. That way you can draw a rough representation of the combat area and players have an idea of where they are in relation to enemies.

This, or get into imperial assault so you can make a map with minis. :getin: Every time people say they didn't need maps and just used "abstraction", like with old D&D 2e or whatever, they were straight up lying or cheating distances.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

This, or get into imperial assault so you can make a map with minis. :getin: Every time people say they didn't need maps and just used "abstraction", like with old D&D 2e or whatever, they were straight up lying or cheating distances.

Do those Imperial Assault booster packs come with figures? And are they random? I've never looked closely.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Probably cheaper to just get a heap of the WotC commons, and they come prepainted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Do those Imperial Assault booster packs come with figures? And are they random? I've never looked closely.

Each figure pack comes with the figure, unit card, and a couple missions. They are not random; you get exactly what is depicted on the box.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

nelson posted:

This is what we do. Much easier that way.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lorak posted:

Speaking of the Edge of the Empire beginner game, I'm partway through the first ship-board encounter. (Avoiding specific details in case people in the thread care about spoilers in a published module.) We paused for last weekend once everyone was in a position to be on-board, though combat had already started. To give further background on the group, we are using the four pre-gen characters, though halfway through encounters, one player tends to need to depart. We resolve this as that character simply going "off-screen", contributing but not being cinematically-focused on.

The quantity of enemies in that encounter seems to be difficult for the players to handle. To this end, I have had two of the four weaker enemies locked outside of the ship attempting but "failing" to get back in, to try to even the odds for the three PCs inside the ship. Does this seem like a fair solution, or am I taking it too easy on them this way? All players and enemies are currently at no wounds or strain.

I don't remember any of this in the beginner game adventure. The only shipboard encounter is you flying the Krayt Fang away from a squad of TIE Fighters.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

kingcom posted:

I don't remember any of this in the beginner game adventure. The only shipboard encounter is you flying the Krayt Fang away from a squad of TIE Fighters.

I'm referring to the one before that, where they are aboard the Fang not in flight.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lorak posted:

I'm referring to the one before that, where they are aboard the Fang not in flight.

Oh, like they're in the hanger itself? Yeah I would absolutely have one of the players either get on the ship's main guns or straight take off and punch it out of there.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

kingcom posted:

Oh, like they're in the hanger itself? Yeah I would absolutely have one of the players either get on the ship's main guns or straight take off and punch it out of there.
The solution that worked itself out, oddly enough, was the Wookiee managing to diffuse the combat situation well enough (Triumph) that the ship's owner was reluctantly willing to let them function as unpaid crew in exchange for providing them passage off of the planet, because stimpacks were running low, one had been downed, the owner still had all his combat droids. (Also, combat had been dragging on for a while.) Whether said owner is or is not immediately betrayed next session remains up in the air, as does the Krayt Fang at this point.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Putting out the feelers: anyone out there interested in a Euro-friendly timezone Saturday or Sunday live game over Roll20 or Discord? I've been rifling through some old WEG D6 adventure modules and found one that I'd like to try to convert and use as the starting point for an Age of Rebellion game. And I'd like to get more experience GM'ing for people who aren't complete randoms from the depths of the Roll20 LFG community and are therefore more likely to be Not Terrible.

I'd be looking at running something like 5 or 6pm Central European time (4 or 5pm UK / 11 or 12pm US East) and go for around 3 hours a session. Weekly or bi-weekly depending on what the group would want.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 29, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'd be totally down if it starts in July. Sunday preferred.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Drone posted:

Putting out the feelers: anyone out there interested in a Euro-friendly timezone Saturday or Sunday live game over Roll20 or Discord?

I’d be interested in playing. I’d prefer Sundays.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm interested, though I'd be coming from the East Coast, US, so I'd prefer saturday where being up late is more acceptable.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I'm interested, though I'd be coming from the East Coast, US, so I'd prefer saturday where being up late is more acceptable.

Euro timezones are around five hours ahead of you.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ablative posted:

Euro timezones are around five hours ahead of you.

He laid that out in his post :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

There've been a few people who expressed interest on the Discord too, so I'll put together an OOC/Recruitment post this evening or tomorrow just to keep it all organized.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

He laid that out in his post :)

Oh, did you mean them staying up later?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thread's up for interest check and character apps: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822025

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is the three core books a solid foundation for this game? I don't think I can afford to buy all the extra books

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bowmore posted:

Is the three core books a solid foundation for this game? I don't think I can afford to buy all the extra books

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cool