Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Been playing little short solo sessions of the Star Wars RPG with my 6 going on 7 year old. She's very tentative about charting out her dude's next move "I'm not sure if it's a good idea but..." "It's probably not going to work but..." "I don't know what to do..." But she still really enjoys it, especially the dice rolling.

I find I'm a lot more reserved with my descriptions of fangorious violence. "Five successes and an advantage. That's 11 damage with your lightsaber! You swing at him and he falls to the ground... uh... defeated. SOUNDLY defeated."

It's like "taming" stray dogs in Earthbound with baseball bats, bottle rockets, and psionic fire!

Sounds fantastic, though, this system is so great for young kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

homullus posted:

You could probably have them fall on their butts/poop their pants/start crying with really good rolls.

My players get really excited when they play too.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In a couple weeks I'll be running a one shot while our DnD DM is out of town. One of my players has played before when I ran the Edge intro pack adventure while the rest of the party has never played before. How is the Force Awakens intro pack? I plan to bring all the premade characters from the other three intro packs and let them pick and choose. I would like to just run Edge again since I know it but I don't want to bore the one player.

I wouldn't bring the Force and Destiny characters, but the other two sets would work just fine. The Awakens pack isn't quite as good as the others but it's still a good adventure.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Quidthulhu posted:

Does such a document exist for us GMs to be able to hand to new players as a reference? As I've been running the system and struggling through it by trial and fire (including one Sun morning session I had to cancel completely because I realized 15m and one player action in that I was sorely unprepared to do anything that day) I'm starting to realize what's really really important to understand and remember. I'm confident I could make one, but if one already exists, I'd rather just use it!

I've found this set of sheets to be really useful in my games.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EVru6_zM5vhu14vzVrFQKQLqzygV4EK2/view?usp=drivesdk

I've given this out to people and it's worked pretty well so far!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, the beginner games are incredibly good at that while still allowing groups to do their own thing. I think I've run the mos shutta one at least half a dozen times and it's been significantly different each time

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

That's the continuation of the beginner but, I believe. It still does a little introduction of mechanics. You'll be great! The dice mechanics may seem intimidating at first but in my experience it gets picked up fast.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I've only run the TFA beginner box once, and that was some time ago, but I remember it feeling really messy and seemed to heavily assume what the players would do much more than the EotE beginner box did. I've always enjoyed that one much more than the others anyway.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

This might not be the best place to ask, but I couldn't find a thread on the Genesys system in general so...

I picked up the Genesys main book and Shadow of the Beanstalk because I'm interested in running a campaign in the Android setting. I've played a one shot with the Star Wars system before and as I understand it, Genesys kind of came out of the mechanics of that game. Are there any major differences between the two or is it just kind of a reskin? And has anyone actually run a campaign in this setting at all? I wouldn't mind getting a few pointers on how to get everyone started and creating a party, I'm still learning the setting a bit myself so my biggest hurdle right now is trying to come up with a reason for the party to be exist and go on some potentially dangerous adventures.

I'm in a similar boat and so far it looks like the systems are pretty interchangable. The assistance rules are a little different but that's all that's jumped out at me so far. There's a lot in the SotB book to lead to adventures (especially the examples/adventure builder section in the back of the book) but I think the easiest way to get your players on dangerous outings is to leverage the Favor system heavily.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Because if it didn't hit you it was never a real threat to you, so it was never in a position for you to reflect?

**Edit**
However, you could argue that the despair they rolled represented you reflecting it back (or threat being a...threat from the bolt being reflected) to them so I guess that depends on how the dice are interpreted in the moment.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

When in doubt, just let the players spend any generated advantage to gain the effect they want, or at least a lesser version of it. Knocking someone Prone, sending up a shower of sparks/debris from a stray shot to make an opponent Disorientated, stuff like that. If the players don't have the specifics down but know that they want to put the whammy on an opponent, just layer on setback dice, encourage them to narrate the situation somewhat, and don't sweat the specifics until they have come to grips with the system more.

Otherwise, yeah, let them use social skills to "attack" opponents for similar effects, distracting an opponent to give allies boost dice, or granting an off turn maneuver occasionally.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Go ahead and let them "activate" talents they don't have with advantage, maybe only once an encounter. Talents tend to be free to activate once purchased so this can help them learn what they might want to actually spend xp on.

*Edit*
And, you can scale what the impromptu talent does. Maybe the real deal Disorientates for X turns equal to the bonus successes but someone doing it spontaneously just does 1 turn.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 11, 2019

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure this is up to date

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/222644-spectalent-sheets/

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

But even having two force dice compared to one is a big step

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I found a "species master list" that lists which books all the possible aliens are in, is there something similar (or even just a list of stats I can then Wookiepedia the fluff) for weapons and ships available somewhere? Some of my players are just like, "I want a staff", and it feels awkward to scour the internet looking what is presumably in some adventure module for one of the product lines I have no interest in.

I have a real hard time wrestling with picking a F&D career versus one of the jedi emergent or padawan things in the other books. I'm looking at maybe having 4 Force Sensitives of varying ages and species, and it almost seems a disservice to not them give them their initial bounty hunter or engineer etc. jobs that they are coming into the game as their background. For simplicity's sake I think just having the F&D careers is best? What do you guys think?
http://swrpg.viluppo.net/ should cover your equipment needs, the gadgets and gear book is really nice, though.

When I do an EotE focused game I still like to have people start with the careers from that book just because they're more thematically appropriate. I also tend to make the first xp award to be enough to buy one of the universal force careers and a force power, although you could always just start people with two careers as well. The nice thing about the exile/outcast is that they don't add any career skills so it helps the players stay focused in their initial path for a bit.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Then they get shipped off to some backwater hermitage planet to be trained by an unofficially retired Master who is nominally responsible for guarding some relics/information that is regarded to be relatively unimportant until oops, someone comes looking for it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

That's incredible!

So I've run some L5R games and really like the whole "use a void point to take a critical instead of losing "hit points"" thing they have going on there. Is there any reason I couldn't port the same thing over to Star Wars/Genesys for the cost of flipping a Destiny Point? I'm not incredibly familiar with a lot of the higher ranked abilities so maybe there's something later down the trees that wouldn't mesh well with that.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Destiny point and a previously narratively established relationship with the receiving character.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Are squads in the Commander book?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

cargohills posted:

I'm barely out of university and I've got just as much difficulty organising games as some of you guys. My group had a session 1 in January 2019, and we're only just now getting to session 3 tomorrow.

Speaking of that game, I've been looking for advice on how to handle obligations and personal quests. The last session we introduced a new player who took up a lot of time with their (very enjoyable) personal story, and because the games are so infrequent I want to be able to give everyone a chance to have the same amount of spotlight for their character if they choose to take it, without focusing on the random rolls of the obligations system. Have been toying with just throwing out the obligation rules and instead just having every second quest or sidequest be related to personal stories. Is this a good idea?

Also, what sorts of personal quests work well in an RPG, by the way? Have got a few PCs who are former Separatists, so was thinking there could be maybe some sort of Indiana Jones-y adventure on Geonosis or another former Separatist planet? I've got one idea in my head pretty firmly - one of the characters got into some bother on Mandalore so I'm going to have him be hunted down by a Boba Fett-style bounty hunter who feels like he's been dishonoured or something like that.

Keep the Obligation rules, you can use them to represent new debts/favors, as well as things like addictions, chronic wounds or illnesses, and things like that. Having a mechanic that keeps the character's past coming up on occasion is good and allows you to offer rewards beyond "simple" mechanical or financial increases.
I just use the character's Obligations as ways to introduce story twists and hooks organically in the world instead of waiting for the dice to come up. I may have an event or two in mind to use when it does, but if someone is being hunted down by a Bounty Hunter you can drop that in whenever it's appropriate, set the stage by having someone mention to the character that X was asking around for them or has been seen in the area. They're not around now but you've introduced the narrative that they're operating.
When the dice do come up for them, it doesn't always have to be an event that happens, it can also just represent the stress of the Obligation getting to the character, a reminder that it's still out there and could do something to them.

StashAugustine posted:

One more question. One of my players is a Bothan spy/infiltrator who's motivation is that he's working for a Bothan politician who is allied with the Rebels but has his own agenda and thus wants to be cc'd on all the Alliance intel they get. This isn't like a Deep Dark Secret so it doesnt have to be hidden, and I'm going to talk about it to see how he wants to play it, but any tips on running something like that with a party member keepimg a secret?

It's always going to vary from table to table but I've had good success with just having no player secrets from each other at all, that way they can play off each other and create drama without getting frustrated with each other. If you've got players that absolutely can't keep knowledge separate then it probably won't work, but it's something to keep in mind and mention to your players.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 8, 2020

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Octavo posted:

I've got Edge of the Empire and most of the supplements for it, and I have Force and Destiny and a few of the supplements for it.
Other than Strongholds of Resistance, I haven't really touched Age of Rebellion. Other than the duty system and the rebellion careers, does that line have anything in either the core or its supplements that the other two lines don't do as well?

The spy book has some expanded slicing/hacking information and the engineer book covers building ships and converting civilian vehicles to "assault" versions. The GM screen also comes with some useful information about using squads with player characters or (more importantly) NPCs that you don't want to be curbstomped by a party, although that can easily be summed up as "attach the minions to the nemesis, they now work as ablative hit points". The actual rules cover different formations and their benefits and such.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Sweet custom bikes.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Are you running the starter kit or just jumping straight into it?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Only now at the end do you understand.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The Terrinoth book is pretty good and introduces a lot more "heroic fantasy" elements, but you more or less need the Genesys book for that as well, if only because it has the majority of the magic system in it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I've had the same thought and I think that it would work pretty well, although you'd have to reword a lot of talents. It's something I'd really like to see if there was ever a "second edition" to the game.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The way I always thought of it was just switching the dice "colors" around and, like in *World games just narrating the situation. "The wookie swings at you with a hairy fist, roaring!" *The player rolls 2 green dice, 1 red and 2 purple*

I would agree that if nothing else it feels different and weighted against the player, since they're now looking for advantage and successes and they have less of a chance to generate those, so they probably would feel like they're failing more (not fun!) vs the enemies succeeding.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

alg posted:

FoundryVTT has a pretty nice system going for it right now. You can import the data from OggDude's so your characters have all the data right in the VTT. It doesn't have weapon automation yet - you have to roll Ranged Light then do the math for damage. But that should be coming soon as they decouple from the Special Dice Roller mod.

I am moving my campaign here right now, it has so many good features that Roll20 and FG don't have, and its a one-time fee and self hosted. A win all around.

I'm only really familiar with Roll20, is making maps for this basically the same in terms of uploading/setting light walls and such?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Thanks for the link. It looks good and I guess I'll going to pull the trigger on getting it, I just wish the "demo" they had on the website was a little more demonstrative of what it can do. Playing a character in a D&D 5e game is about as far as you get get from what I'm doing (playing Genesys and CoC/Delta Green mainly)

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I use Foundry for my games and while it takes a bit of setup I can say that it's incredible and the more work you put into it the better it gets, but even just the bare minimum gets you character sheets that you can roll dice off of and it's pretty easy to import/build your own game information.

I have a player who runs his games using Tabletop Simulator and he likes it, so if all of your players have that then it might be worth a serious look but I (try to) run games for a lot of random people with varying levels of experience so being able to say "here's a link, I'll see you in a few minutes" is a lot easier than telling them to make an account or buy/download software.

The two sourcebooks are pretty nice and certainly have a lot of flavor in them but really aren't necessary. The career options are available for free on the internet (I think anyway, career sheets don't seem to be taken down anywhere?) and the gear you get from them isn't so different that you couldn't just use what's already in the other books and call it whatever you wanted or adjust as needed.

Seconding what Drone said re: 1-on-1, a sidekick (or sidekicks, as a group of minions) droid or something similar would be a good idea and it tracks with what we've seen a lot of in other Star Wars media.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Miska's maps are pretty good, I've got a friend who swears by then.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

So it doesn't do the "track a path to the thing you want" thing from EotE and just goes with 'build a pyramid'?

Are there tools for how to design what the different levels of effects do, or is it basically classless with players determining what each level's bonus is?

The pyramid works pretty well, requiring players to continually go back to lower tiers of talents to either bolster existing ones or pick up new knacks in order to fill it in. You could pretty easily make some simple trees for your players, or at least pick out what you consider the primo talents for an existing "class/career" in your game. I've done this for my Star Wars games to represent a character learning something new without a full "commitment" to a new career.

If you're interested in making actual trees then you can look at the EotE trees for guidance or pick up a copy of the Expanded Players Guide that has more guidance on creating trees, but the bare bones of it is having tiers to your tree where each talent on a particular tier costs 5 x tier level. Then you can play with the positioning/connection of the talents to say something about the career.
If you're interested in making more of your own setting the Expanded Players Guide is a pretty great thing to pick up in addition to the core book, there's a lot of useful information in it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I recommend Cyphers and Masks, the Spy book, and Forged in Battle, the Soldier book. Those two have really hit the sweet spot on the kinds of games I run.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

The only FFG Star Wars adventure that really falls short in my experience is Onslaught at Arda I, avoid that one like the plague

Uh-oh, one of my players has purchased that for me to run. Hopefully we can make it not be dire.

Speaking of adventures and modules though, I'm looking for a player made resource that was a space station with some adventure hooks on it. I think it was a vaguely smuggler/casino/outlaw type situation. I found it a couple of years ago but I've changed computers twice then and it apparently never made the transition. I can't seem to find it online any more and Google keeps insisting that it was Beyond the Rim but I know that wasn't it. Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, looks like that was it, no wonder I couldn't find it. Thank you very much!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I say Foundry as well, especially if you're going to play more than three months or run other games online. More features, oggdude integration, and a better looking and feeling interface all around.

However if your internet speed isn't great or if you're only going to play a few sessions it might be better to just go with roll20.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Not surprising but still a shame.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The Edge of the Empire beginner game is probably the best, unless you think your players (or you) just really love being a part of the rebellion. It's got a stronger hook and in my experience people tend to get more excited about stealing something than assaulting a base.

As far as breaking combat goes, I've found that's a feature and not a bug, you just have to throw challenges at the team and let them figure out how to get out their messes. It's a high action pulpy system and a high action pulpy setting, so both you and your players should just go nuts.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

Here's a question -- has anyone managed to import Genesys Emporium (https://genesysemporium.com/) characters to Foundry VTT? I know it can import OggDude exports, but we've been using Emporium for our sheets and genesys.skyjedi.com for our roller, and I'm considering moving to Foundry, and I don't want to ask my players to completely remake their characters...

Just tried to do this myself the other day and it did not work.
There's a "new" system in the works for Foundry that I think will be compatible with it since it's planned to be a Genesys system first, Star Wars second, but it's on a "done when it's done" timetable currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Since it may come up next session: I'm having a hard time finding rules for cutting through things with a lightsaber. I know they have Breach 1, but I don't really know how they interact with something like carving through a blast door. Is that covered anywhere in the books?

I think you can roughly assign HP to an object as per its silhouette as if it was a vehicle, at least with regards to making a hole in it. I'd assign 10 personal HP/1 vehicle HP to something like a wall or a door assuming it's made of a sturdy material and add vehicle armor or extra HP to it if it's particularly tough or designed to withstand assault.

Or just abstract it even further, if they have a breaching weapon it takes 1 action (or 1 unit of explosive) plus 1 for each positive adjective you can ascribe to something. An obstacle takes 1, a sturdy obstacle takes 2, a sturdy, thick obstacle takes 3, a sturdy, reinforced, obstacle would take 4. Extra players cutting or shooting (or punching for your Steel Hand adepts) make it faster.

Insert Star Wars words as necessary.