Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The EotE campaign I'm in is ending soon, and the GM is going to be doing AoR next. I've already got a character lined up, because "R2 unit starfighter ace" is the best. Just stick some frumpy human dude with a mustache in the pilot seat and let him think he's doing a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Lightsaber is now explicitly Brawn but there's a lightsaber combat specialization for each Characteristic that makes it use that Characteristic instead.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Obi-Wan just needs to check his Jedi privilege. Elegant, sure if you're some kind of one-percenter who gets to use the power of his brain or the brilliance of his smile to better wield your ten-thousand credit laser sword (to clear the poors out of your way, clearly).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

One of my players really really wants to play a Mandalorian, but there are no rules for them that I can see. I was just going to let him play a re-skinned human, is that the best way of doing it?

Mandalorians aren't a species per se, they're a culture that any species can theoretically join. That said, if you want to go the route of the Mandalorians we've seen in the movies so far and cartoons, they're just Humans.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Swags posted:

If you or he want to read more on Mando culture, Karen Traviss put out a series of books linking up with the Republic Commando game. There's a ton of stuff in there about it.

Do not do this. They are godawful.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Except they specifically said three new species.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm just happy to get better rules for hyperspace travel.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If you choose those particular skills, yes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That's a ridiculous statement. If anything, droids tend to be hyper-specialized specifically because they have all that extra XP to throw into the Characteristics that they care about while ignoring the ones that they don't.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Alright then, well what about dumping the contents of its memory banks onto an external space-HDD for us to look at later, then wiping the droid and programming it to be rebel-aligned? (Just so that it's less likely to be flipped against us by the droid party member, or someone else like Imperials. Since well, it IS a typical black-painted Imp astromech droid)

Just have them upload that data into the ship's computer so they can download it again after the wipe. Nothing could POSSIBLY go wrong there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

News leaking out of the GAMA trade show in Vegas is that FFG's license was renewed, and apparently the new contract allows them to use material from Episode 7.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mendrian posted:

The hosed up part is that there isn't a big Jedi treatise on droid sapience and the suffering of artificial life forms. I think it's pretty hosed up that the Jedi, for all their enlightenment, look at droids and say, 'oh poo poo man, they don't have have magic glowy auras, let's not give them a second thought.' I mean I'm sure you could find something written in the EU somewhere but yeah it's pretty odd nobody's made a big deal out of it in the thousands of years the Star Wars universe is said to have existed.

Well, to their credit, they literally have a magic connection through which they can feel all living things. Droids don't come up in that at all, so you can kind of see the Jedi logic in that. Granted, it gets a bit hosed as soon as a droid with any personality whatsoever enters the picture, but at the very least you can see where they're coming from here.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

I am intending to use X-Wing miniatures rules for small quick space fights (if I can streamline it enough), with the party all operating different roles on their ship like in the EotE rules. Before I spend a lot of time trying to work out how to make it easy to work between the two systems, can anyone tell me if the AoR rules are any different? I assume that with the greater focus on the Rebels, and with one class actually being a fighter ace, they must have reworked it a bit.

This is probably the first thing that a lot of people think of when picking up this game, so there's already a lot of advice/attempts out there on the Internet. I'd highly advise against it, as the two systems just don't mesh at all.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

From a Watsonian perspective, if you've got an AI that's capable of learning from experiences and adapting its behavior, it's probably easier to program in pain receptors rather than program in avoidance routines for every possible situation in which the droid could be damaged.

From a Doylist perspective, the goal was to show that Jabba's palace is a terrible place for terrible people, and the filmmakers didn't want to go so far as to show actual human beings being tortured in a movie that was ostensibly for kids. Every time torture had come up previously, they'd show a pointy bit being angled toward a character, then cut away.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

• The Star Wars original trilogy films—Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
  • The Star Wars prequel trilogy films—Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
  • The Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film
  • The Star Wars Rebels television series and its supplementary source material
  • Star Wars Insider fiction, beginning with "Blade Squadron" in Star Wars Insider 149
  • Information found in the StarWars.com Databank
  • Information previously found in the now-defunct StarWars.com Encyclopedia
  • All officially-licensed source material released following the September 2, 2014 novel A New Dawn.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yes but if it becomes a foot chase they are unstoppable locomotives.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

You should be able to bounce signals through hyperspace transceiver systems (think of it like a telegraph relay system), although you run the risk of the message being intercepted and/or arriving too late.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Christ, back when I was playing I used to get a crit on me at least once every game. A hell of a lot more toward the end game when the rocket tag had accelerated to ludicrous speed.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Fuzz posted:

So last night we discovered that lightsabers are hosed up powerful against standard targets, because seriously holy poo poo. Three of us basically ganged up on an Adversary Bounty Hunter and he went down in 2 rounds after like 3 hits. Insane.

Are you using lightsabers from FaD or from the other two cores?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Fuzz posted:

They're different? We just grabbed the Lightsaber entry in the character creator... as I recall that's 10 damage with Breach 1, Sunder 1, and Vicious 2.

Lightsabers in the FaD book are Damage 6, Crit 2, Breach 1, Sunder. They're still pretty brutal but slightly less so since I believe the one you were using is Crit 1 as well.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Your friend is really dumb.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

What are the new powers?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So how do I make a cool Jedi/Sith fight without one of my players immediately triggering 7 crits and insta killing them?

Give the enemy ranks in Nemesis. This makes them harder to hit in general and allows them to conveniently escape when defeated.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

How is the Propagandist spec from Desperate Allies? I've been looking for a good fit for a George Smiley type counterintelligence character and the description sounds promising.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Back in the EotE beta, it used to be that the GM could spend a Destiny Point when a Nemesis got taken down below its Wound Threshold to have the Nemesis suffer a critical hit but survive with 1 HP, after which you could presumably spend a Destiny Point as per normal to have the villain make a dramatic escape. I don't see that rule in the final versions of the three books, though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

That's for making a Big Bad type villain, not the "nemesis" classification of NPC, and it also doesn't include this rule. Instead it suggests giving a Big Bad an extra initiative tick at the end of the round.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What would the best career/specialization for a grim, chain smoking, human reporter who is always hiding from the Empire while writing pieces about their atrocities? Politico and something?

Diplomat/Propagandist.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Three questions:

1. To what extent are the Temple Guard discussed?

2. What's their take on the tree-cave on Dagobah?

3. What is the most surprising Force site in the book?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

jivjov posted:

What 'Temple Guard' are we talking about? The closest I see is Stone Guardians from one of the modular encounters on Ossus.

EDIT: just found a sidebar in the Vergences chapter about guardians of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant; calls out that they exclusively wield double-bladed yellow lightsabers, they get a full stat block, but only a paragraph and a half of flavor text and back stories.

That's a little disappointing, I would have expected slightly more given that they're on the cover.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

RaceyBucket posted:

What are some reasonable things to happen to a ship on a smuggling run other than like customs or rival smugglers?

Pirates also work, as does some form of betrayal/double-cross. Maybe the buyer decided he'd rather not pay, and sent out goons to take the goods by force. Maybe the whole thing was a sting and either the buyer or the seller is handing them over to the Imperials to save their own hides. Maybe they've hosed up a few too many times in the past and the seller is just trying to get rid of them.

Another option is that they arrive only to discover that their destination is now a hot zone. Depending on how you want to scale this, it could be anything from "skirmish between planetary forces" to "not just an Imperial blockade, an all-out Imperial invasion."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What would be some fun locations for a short adventure on a "derelict" Separatist frigate the PCs are exploring? Droid manufacturing, computer rooms, ?

Droid bays, for one thing - just racks of B1s waiting for the remote signal to activate. Storage areas with no-longer stable fuel cells just waiting for a stray blaster bolt. Sections where someone clearly dissected a number of droids, looking for something either in their design or in their memories. Vast swatches of the ship infested with spaceborne creatures like mynocks or tibidees.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

The ship was evacuating from Geonosis, and there are brainworm eggs aboard.

:hellyeah:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Seeing as how it seems like it's no longer going to be canon, that makes sense.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

That's good news, I was just skimming through and wasn't sure how well the "duty" mechanic would translate.

Everywhere that it says "Rebel" or "Alliance" in Duty just cross them out and write "Imperial" or "Empire" instead.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Drone posted:

Was anyone else really put off by the fact that the saber Rey uses is the hand-me-down Anakin Skywalker lightsaber? The same one that Luke lost with his hand and that plummeted out of the ventilation chute on Cloud City and down into the Bespin atmosphere, being forever lost?

We never saw it go out of Cloud City, though. It dropped down, certainly, but never showed up again. Presumably it didn't fall down the same series of tubes that Luke did. After all, there was that one that suddenly opened up underneath him, which led directly to him falling onto the antenna.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

jivjov posted:

Oh god...I just had a horrible thought...if the lightsaber was recovered, the hand might have been too. What if Episode VIII or IX has a clone of Luke? Or what if that's who Snoke is?

We don't ask about what's in the stew at Maz's cantina.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Starkiller Base is, I don't know off the top of my head about Ilum. If it is, it's not expounded on in any detail because it's not in the film.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It also has the cross guard saber FWIW.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is there any general consensus as to what the best all-rounder starting ship is for EotE? I haven't played a new campaign since the beta when you could get the Ghtroc turtleship. Looking at various YT and YV models but I wanted to consult the hivemind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Fuzz posted:

The turtle is the best.

It absolutely is but I think we might want something else since we had one last time. That said, I'll see if we can keep the option on the table.