Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

nelson posted:

If you have the force on your side, I'd say it's quite viable. Although I think i would concentrate on force move and force enhance before worrying about unleash.

Definitely went down the enhance tree with the test character I made a while back. Seemed the most useful. Unleash just felt like the perfect "endgame" for an unarmed character. Didn't do move just because I wanted it to be that said character didn't know the force existed and played off his fighting skills as skills and not supernatural ability. Okay, in reality, I didn't even think of move.

I guess bind would also be useful considering I made this test character as a dark side user, now that I think about it.

It would be cool to play a character who eventually can see a Sith pull lightsaber and go "the weapon of the sith and jedi, how quaint. My weapon is the force and a powerful one it is!" *force lightning*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
When you do Force & Destiny, do you and your players try to discover the force in a unique way or just try to become a Jedi or Sith?

Covok
May 27, 2013

As a head's up on a Halloween themed game ideas, remember that Star Wars has had some Halloween elements in the past.

And, hell, one is even canon now.*

*Two, actually, forgot about the brain worms.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 28, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone got a font that has all the icons for FF SW dice? Like, you know the green d8s, the yellow d12s, etc.?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Is this thread right? Can a properly upgraded force-user use move to bring down a Star Destroyer?

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

RAW, I think the disparity between personal and ship scale would prevent that...but if it fit the tone of the campaign I was GMing, I would absolutely allow it under rule of cool, especially if there was good narrative justification (like the ship was already crashing or whatever)

I can't find anything say silhoutte changes on a planetary scale. If a star Destroyer is in orbit, can't you spend 3 force pips to move a silhoutte 12 object?

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

Doesn't Move have a range limit on it? I would think that even in orbit, a star destroyer is beyond Extreme range (don't have my books in front of me at the moment; I may be completely wrong)

Hmm, personal extreme range does require two manuevers and strain to cost. So, even if the Star Destroyer was above the city, it'd be too far.

But, what if you flew next to it? Or were on it? You could move a Star Destroyer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

Generally a force power ability can spend multiple pips on the one ability unless it specifically says it can be spent multiple times. So the Magnitude can be activated multiple times to keep increasing the number of targets but the Strength can only be tapped once meaning the largest size thing you can move is silhouette 4. I mean you can obviously house rule it but RAW its capped to that.

Are you sure? The person in the thread claims the opposite and the person discussing this with me seems to think you can move silhoutte 12 with this power. I question that saying the same thing you said, but they claimed otherwise.

Wait, i just saw it. Strength can't be used multiple times so, you're right, you can only move silhouette 4 at max.

Funny enough, this is still kind of a big deal because AT-AT are silhouette 4.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I wonder if I should house rule my AT-ATs to be silhouette 5 or not. I mean, I'm okay with Move affecting everything else silhouette 4, but AT-ATs do seem a tad much. You are, essentially, toppling a giant with just the force. Not to mention that, with enough force points and XP, you can lift one and hurl it into another with enough force to destroy the other one. You can literally destroy AT-ATs by knocking them into one another.

It's just a surprising bit of high power, to me, considering how low-power the force is in FF.

Also, anyone know if the 7 lightsaber forms (and Vapaad) are still canon?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I think so, they have Canon Wookieepedia pages, and I believe that they're mentioned in the Force and Destiny book as well

Edit: Also isn't Vaapad Form VII? Or am I missing something?

Juyo is the official Form VII. Vaapad is an alternate Form VII only ever used by Mace Windu and has a super-huge-no-joke risk of falling to the dark side just by using it (has a lot to do with the mindset required).

Covok
May 27, 2013

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The Inquisitor in Rebels S1 mentions that Kanan relies too heavily on a specific form.

That's rich coming from a guy who uses a lightsaber with a built in handicap. "Can't compete with a normal blade so I had to build in a rotary device to make up for my lack of skill."

Covok
May 27, 2013

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Just checked—it's Form III.

Soresu, huh?

Says a lot he is big on the defensive, guardian form.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How powerful are really high level Force-Users? Like, I get there is the trade off of "do I spend it on my class or my force powers" that keeps them in check, but I am curious how a Force Rating 3+ Force User is in play. Someone with at least 300-500xp and all of it in F&D classes/force powers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Force investment provides exponential returns. Low power move isn't worth your time, move with upgrades and 4-6 force rating wipes whole encounters with a single use.

I noticed that. Is it true that you can destroy a squadron of Tie Fighters with properly advanced move? They are all under silhouette 4 and slamming them into each other would be lethal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

I'm in a campaign still running from when Edge of the Empire launched, we are at 1100exp.

To make certain skill checks difficult the GM has to throw 5 red dice and 4 black at our core skills, but your non-triangle focused abilities are a lot less wacky, we've been trying to branch out into different areas and spread ourselves a little as it becomes a trifle ludicrous.

What things are your characters even doing at this point? Y'all got so much XP you could run up to Darth Vader and dunk him in the trash can before giving the Emperor a wedgiee.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I heard these houserules on the Order 66 podcast. They seem cool to me. What do y'all think of them?

Covok
May 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

Seems fine, adds a bunch of extra rules for not a huge amount of variance but it looks like it would work fine. Beware it looks like it really fucks over characters with high wounds ands low strain characters.

Honestly the duel rules in Fly Casual work fine in my experience, especially if you want to just find replace skills with whatever is appropriate for the type of duel you are running.

Oh, I didn't know there were official duel rules.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's the best way to play this online? Tried using hangouts with embedded roll20 so I could use a free dice roller. Use a synchtube to handle all the music and my Star Wars opening crawls.

It's messy, some people can't access all the stuff at times, and it can be glitchy.

Should I just put down the 10/month and use roll20 and synchtube for everything?

Covok
May 27, 2013

wiegieman posted:

This is a .png of star wars dice symbols that a guy made for his font:

As far as I know any discord admin can add those as emojis, it takes 32x32 or 128x128 images.

Can you also link where the typeface file is? I could use that while writing up adventures.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Often people ask how to play FF Star Wars in an era different than 0-1 ABY of the Rebellion Era (shortly after episode 4). Now, FF SW is flexible enough to accomodate changing eras on their own, but some issues still crop up. For example, setting up an AoR game during the Clone Wars brings in the factor that you're now working for an army with much, much more prevelant resources than the rebellion.

If nothing else, some consolidated settinf info and generic stat blocks always help.

As such, I'm thinking of organizing a little free fan project to make a supplement in a different era.

I'm thinking of using the Clone Wars as it would be enough to cover the entire prequel era and is arguably the most interesting time of the prequel era.

The plan is for a full color pdf. It would share layout features with AoR for obvious reasons.

Chapter 1 - Introduction (short, 5 pages max, gets the idea of the guide, write last)

Chapter 2 - The Clone Wars (guide to running an AoR game with a lot of resources, how to deal with Jedi order/council, guide to incorporating background politics, advice on how to deal with players holding power over other players ---> Jedi general and clones, advice on how to use Palptine and Dooku's machinations and collusion for good adventure design)

Chapter 3 - Player Options (Clones as a species, clone war gear, clone war ships, Padawan universal talent tree for Jedi, Jedi Knight universal talent tree for Jedi, Jedi Master universal talent tree for Jedi)

Chapter 4 - A Galaxy Torn (Planet Gazzeer with quest hooks, some basic overview of galatic politics and the public and real reason for the clone wars)

Chapter 5 - Clankers (adversary section)

Chapter 6 - Modular Encounters (Rescue a captured Jedi, send humanatarian aid through a blockade, reinforce a frontline, capture a seperatist general)

That's the basic layout. Modular encounter section might be much and can be cut. It also might be much to add 3 universal trees for Jedi: maybe just the padawan one.

Shooting for 30-80 pages.

I plan to provide a good amount of the writting, but feel it's more likely this will get done with a well-organized team. This is a fan project so it wouldn't be a paid gig nor would the finish product be sold (both would be illegal, I think): just looking for other interested people to lighten the load.

Any help would be appreciated.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fuzz posted:

They're already working on a supplement for it, so that seems redundant.

You'd be better off making a SWTOR era supplement or something like that.

There isn't any mention of a Clone Wars supplement in development on the FFG website. Where did you hear this?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Last night, my characters went into a slightly too-tough encounter (underestimated the difficulty) and 2/3rds of the party when down. The adventure then called for a time sensitive escape. It didn't make sense, considering the circumstances, for them to sit and heal and the players still up had bad intellect and bad medicine.

Now, I felt bad and basically let those players still talk so they wouldn't be completely out for the next encounter: that seemed boring to them.

Did I misinterpret the Wound Threshold rules? It seems it takes a while to heal and hitting your threshold keeps you out for a while. If you go out mid-adventure and the rest of the party is both a) still up and b) not able to heal you, what happens to the unconscious party members? What's the best way to keep them engaged? Since they were with some NPCs they freed from Imperial prison, I offered to let them play them temporarily but they refused that so that seems off the table.

I know it's common in TRPGs and actually fits Star Wars that, once you're out cold, you're out for a while, but am I misinterpreting and, if not, how do I keep people having fun?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

Myself and some of my friends watched Rogue One, and that combined with reading DCB's old posts in the Catpiss thread has made me really want to run a campaign following a rebel cell in some backwater sector of space. It's probably going to be very Force-lite and have a heavy 'guerrilla conflict' sort of theme, a bit less on the pulpy high-adventure. I've got some people who would be down, enough for a group, but I have no idea which system to use. Is this generally considered to be the best SW-themed game system out there? Any advice for running a campaign in it?

e: also, which books would you recommend? The sheer number of supplements for this game is kind of intimidating

Funny enough, I am actually running a game like you described: a force-lite game with heavy 'guerrilla conflict' theme to it.

Here is some advice:
  • Essential Books: Age of Rebellion Corerulebook
  • Recommended books: Strongholds of the Resistance, Career Books
  • Possible Buys: The Adventures

The essential books are, as the name implies, the books you need for that game. FF SW is broken into three game lines and Age of Rebellion is the one focused on being an rebel soldier. It has some rules for force powers, but it's rather focused and limited when compared to Force & Destiny, the line about being a Jedi. While all these lines are cross-compatible, for your first game I recommend keeping to just AoR. Doubly so because of your intentions. Also, will save you money that way.

The Recommended Books are things I suggest picking up over time, but not at the outset. Each career book is a great addition with good GM advice and nice rules that help broaden play. Lead By Example gets special note for having Mass Combat rules. Strongholds of the Resistance is a good "this is how the rebel alliance lives and where they live" book. Great if you know little about SW's EU and don't feel like winning it.

The Possible buys, the adventures, are cool if you don't feel like making your own. They are pretty good, but are far from essential.

Now then, for some personal advice on this campaign structure. First off, try to give them a base. Like, maybe not a literal one, but at least some place they care about. Let them grow in it and try to limit their adventures to center around it. Make their characters invested. Then, destroy it. Make them have to flee from it into the greater rebellion. Think Star Wars Rebels season one and season two.

The reason you do this is that it makes the whole thing personal and real. The fact is, Star Wars is a movie. There are no Twi'leks or Zabraks or Aqualish in real life. There is no empathy for the world because it isn't real. It's just some story. By making your players invest in a place only to have the Empire destroy it, it makes them care and actually hate the Empire. Doubly so if you give the destroyer a face like a Grand Moff or even just a moff.

Remember, you don't need dark Jedi to be big antagonists. Literally, a Star Destroyer is the size of Manhattan and near impossible to hurt, but easy enough to flee from. A Moff in a Star Destroyer is a perfect reoccurring villain in AoR and will not be something any players can one-shot.

Tell players from the start that you aren't expected to win every battle, but never tell them when they're in such a battle. Let them gauge when it's best to lay low in play or even out-right flee. Let them get in over their head. Throw more at them that they can't handle when it makes sense. But, keep it balanced. Do it on occasion, not always. And only do it when it makes sense. If they try a direct assault on a weapon's factory, then, yeah. At-Ats coming out and, very likely, wrecking their poo poo makes sense. Having that happen all the time is going to feel dickish. Let it flow from the narrative and let players know that some battles can't be won.

Portray the Empire as competent...usually. While local officials can be portrayed as dumb, the upper eschellions of the empire are competent and dangerous. While letting lower officers gently caress up is fine from time to time, remember that those in charge should be scary because it's hard to overcome them.

Head's up, Stormtroopers are dangerous. The way FF SW is balanced, Stormtroopers can be a real threat if you send too many. While you should try to overwhelm on occassion to remind them of how much of a power difference there is, messing this up can lead to TPKs.

Finally, don't default to Stormtroopers. There are actually three Imperial armed forces: the army, the navy, and the stormtroopers. Stormtroopers are actually the elite and it often makes more sense if the army or navy (or, hell the military police) are on the scene. Makes the world feel more real and allows Stormtroopers to seem scary. Especially if you portray some of the lower factions occassionally less competent. For example, when my players were on a backwater world on their third session, the local military police were jokes. When their actions attracted the stormtrooper corps, poo poo got real and scary fast.

Besides that, get familiar with the rules, let the dice decide, say yes or roll the dice, and remember this is a group effort.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KomradeX posted:

According to Wookiepedia the Deathtroopers are an experiment in keeping troopers going after grevious injury, so they should be dead and their mechanical voices give the impression of also being part Droid.

I'm really dying to get stats for them, the U-wing and those Strikers. For now I figure you'd treat them as (I forget what they're called off the top of my head) next step up from minions.

Though unrelated are there stats for the ARC-170 fighter?

According to the visual guide, they are just named after the rumor that the Emperor was trying to do that and are just elite stormtroopers. It's a throwback to the EU deathtroopers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Decided to take a shot at stating up Deathtroopers. Used Stormtroopers as a base. Worked from there.

Edit: Head's Up Display and Stealth Armor are supposed to be armor mods, but I don't know how to add that to custom armor in Oggdude.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 26, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fixed it and clarified how to use Adversary on minions.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lorak posted:

Patched one hole for another to pop up. Diffculty. Also, typically, it's head-up display or heads-up display, usually the latter from what I tend to see.

Mechanically, I can't offer much, since I'm just learning the system as of recent times.

Thanks for the typo fixes.

Here is the corrected version:

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 27, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Need some Dark Trooper stats.

They are in AoR core.

Covok
May 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

Looks good, in terms of mechanics I maybe wouldn't give them Agility 4 (plus the free blue) because that quickly hits the threshold for being able to reliably hit players, especially if they are in groups. Depends on the players you're sent at. I used some that were rocking heavy blaster rifles and 3 agility so they were a 'we need to drop them before they get a turns cause they start hitting hard quickly', though if you have some solid combat players that works fine. Those stats are definitely a strong 'oh poo poo' when you see a stack of them coming at you.

Also I'd maybe put Vigilance on that list (instead of Coercion?) as its a common skill to check on for minions.

I think what I'll do is remove the boost die from Ranged -Heavy and give their Blaster Rifle the Superior customization. This will give them a free Advantage while also making their sucess with attacks less guarnteed. It also better represents their top of the line equipment.

Better yet, I do the Superior thing, but have the HUD ability just remove a Setback from Ranged - Heavy and Ranged -Light which is a lot less powerful, but gets the idea across.

Keeping boost to perception either way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

Yeah thats definitely a lot more fun to play with from a player standpoint. It means death troopers are going to be dumping penalty dice on people and more likely to drop a crit than just taking you out of the fight straight away. Plus its hard to stack penalty dice on them because they're elite troopers who dont need no man. Boosting perception is good though.

According to the Star Wars Rogue One Visual Guide, the Deathtrooper armor isn't just designed to be visually stealthy, but actually fucks with attempts to find them on sensors. After I add in the other changes, how do I incorporate that? Add a Setback to attempts to find them with computers?

HidaO-Win posted:

The only mechanism for consistently making combat less brutal are the Parry and Deflect talents in Force and Destiny. That or play a high Brawn character. Cover does little, adding Black or Red dice helps but they are very unpredictable in effect and adding large amounts is difficult.

Offense also scales a lot faster than defense so the game becomes rocket tag fairly quickly.

I'm 1300 exp into a Gand Findsman with Force Powers and a focus on ranged combat. I opened up on a group of experienced Storm Troopers recently. My pool was IIRC 4 yellow, 2 green, 3 force, 5 blue versus 2 red and 2 purple (I removed a bunch of black with talents). think I hit 5 times with my pool doing 26 damage, 21 damage, 21 damage, 21 damage and 21 damage. No character can take damage like that.

The only good news is you are unlikely to die, but crits resulting in limb replacement can be pretty common.

It was particularly a problem in Starship combat where your ships get crippled incredibly fast. We switched over the Emperor Norton's starship combat rules, where shields become soak like Parry and Deflect fuelled by your ships strain. I suppose you could mod rules where in cover you can use an option like Deflect where you take some strain to reduce the damage by the quality of the cover.

They're actually aware of this issue, somewhat. There is an order 66 podcast with a developer who did a stress test of the game where everyone played a member of the Jedi council. The idea was to see how much XP it would create to make one and how they would be in play and the results were as you described. They were extremely powerful, but a good hit could take them out. For better or worse, they considered that accurate to the films, IIRC, and felt that, at the same time, it took so much XP that this issue would only crop up severly after literal years of playing which was, to them, an edge case that was acceptable.

Not saying you can't fix it, but saying that, oddly, they think its fine like that.

Edit: Thinking about it more, it isn't that uncommon of a thought in TRPG. A part of me can't blame them for going "it takes like 4-5 years for this really to become a problem so it isn't a game breaking bug", but, on the other hand, it is strange to notice the problem and not fix it in some way. Though, I guess its perspective and how you run it. The playtest sounded like they were set up against appropriate opposition for the NARRATIVE, not their LEVEL. So, it sounded like they were fighting horders of B2 battle droids and junk and not like mirror made battles who could go toe-to-toe with so I guess, in that context, going "even fighting hordes of lesser foes will still occasionally challenge god-tier characters due to crits" is a fair observation. Then again, I think they might have had gone against some mirrior made baddie at some point, but I can't remember what they said.

Would really help if I remember the episode of the podcast. There are only so many interviews with devs for Order 66 and this was one specifically for Force and Destiny, if anyone wants to look for I as I don't really have time.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 27, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alright, I think this is the last version I'm going to do for now. If you plan on using Deathtroopers in your game, this might be useful to you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Darius099 posted:

I've had a player ask a question I have not yet found an answer to.

What does a "force talent" (the ones with a starburst on them) mean? What difference is there mechanically with them?

Two things:
1) Narratively, when using the effects of a Force talent, you are calling on the force and Inquisitors and others hunting force users will notice.
2) You must have the ability to use the Force (you may even need a Force Rating, but I'm not sure) to call on the effect. So, Droids can never take Force talents. Droids could, theoretically take a Jedi specialization and buy every talent in a tree, but the Force talents would be wasted on them and they would not be able to use them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is everyone's feeling on Dark Siders?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Machai posted:

I liked the first one but couldn't really get into the second. Has there been any news on the guys that bought the license reviving the series?

Meant more "force users who use the dark side." Playing one in a game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I feel about playing Evil Bad Guys in The Star Wars about like I do in any form of pulpy/fantasy style roleplaying: Maybe entertaining for a oneshot/miniseries, but I'd prefer my default campaign mode be Good Guys motivated by something resembling benevolent ends.

The character isn't a bad guy. He's a former Hutt pitt slave forced to battle in gladiatorial arenas until he could earn his freedom. He was so since he was four years old and learned to connect to the force through fear and angier. Being a zabrak doesn't help. He even tried to help people when he was a slave, but that just meant he had to fight them at risk of death in an effort to break him. He has a tough love standpoint: he doesn't want to hurt people, he wants to help people, but he's convinced that you can't just help people, you have to teach them to help themselves. Tough love, so to speak.

Covok
May 27, 2013

nothing to seehere posted:

Mechanically, Light Side/Dark Side are weird. It should be that the Dark side is harder to tap into, but provides more power (force points) than light side. However, it's opposite: 7/12 of Force die have dark side pips but theres only 1 double, while only 5 faces have light side pips but there are two doubles. This feels opposite to how the distribution should be, especially for a game where most people play light siders. It's hard to get above force rating 2 in a campaign, and having a 58% to 33% chance of failing any force power check kinda sucks as a Light sider (especially when it's 42%/18% for Dark Siders)

I always took it being based on the line that the dark side is the "quick and easy path to power."

Covok
May 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

I'd probably just play one who is more liberal with using dark side pips to be honest. A straight up dark side force user is actually a bit of a burden on the group because they auto-flip destiny points at the start of every session (assuming you use the Force and Destiny rules).

A good GM will give it back quickly. :grin:

Also, canon or Legends?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I've decided to write up a short, simple, not too intensive set of guidelines of playing during the Legacy era. It's mostly player facing.

It features:
  • A short description of the Era and its main factions
  • Rules for making a competent Force User at Chargen without breaking balance
  • Rules for Jedi Knight level play
  • Rules for Imperial Knight Armor
  • Stats for Yuuzhan Vong as a player species
  • Rules for Yuuzhan Vong tech
  • Rules for a new type of Obligation called "Legacy" which focuses on reinforcing the themes of the era

The primer can be found here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

New Force Power:

Also, rules for different force traditions, including Sith Lords. That was a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

What do you mean by rules

Like "here's how you might act if you're trying to RP a member of such-and-such tradition, here are their tenets, here's some other flavor about them", or something mechanical?

Mechanical. Like, if you want to be a Sith Lord, you get a 15 XP reduction to buying the basic power of Heal/Harm, Misdirect, and Protect/Unleash, minimum cost 5XP. However, you got a drawback: whenever your morality drops, double the amount it drops. So, if you got Conflict 7 and roll a 3, you go down by 8 morality instead of 4. You can buy this drawback away by spending 30XP. You know, if you ever want to be redeemed. Frankly, sounds like a hell of a deal to me, especially since it doesn't require you being dark side to do it.

All the force traditions do that: benefit and drawback. Except for Jedi. They claim the Jedi option is choosing a Jedi mentor in the corebook (5XP reduction to all basic powers). One could argue the drawback is the opportunity cost of the other chargen benefits.

The ones included are:
Baran Do Sages
Dagoyan Masters
Gand Findsmen
Sith Lords

This is on page 79.

I could post all their benefits and drawbacks, but that could be :filez:

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 5, 2017