Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did they ever get official stats for the Cathar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what's the good strategy with char building? Sink as much starting XP into your attributes because those are much harder to raise?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reading that it doesn't feel like you'd rocket out of control, or at least give the GM time to prepare for 'oh, they can jump really high now.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

They are human beings right?

According to Wookieepedia they're technically Zabrak but female Dathomiri don't seem to have horns or anything aside from facial tattoos.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madurai posted:

Ventress was a Rattataki for a while, but they seem to have retconned a specific Dathomir species into existence.

It seems like they split the difference and now she was raised on Rattatak after the slaver took her from Dathomir.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really like the idea of giving them extra XP just to buy a specialization and a Force power. Thanks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What would be the progress if somebody wanted to play a Mandalorian Human and actually have their own suit? Is there a particular tree or do they just have to save up and Git Gud at customizing gear?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I've been casting about wanting to run a Padawan game for the Clone Wars era and... think I maybe have a pitch? The idea I had while coming home from the FLGS is 'Orphans of Grievous' where the General killed their masters and now 4-6 half-trained Padawans running around and the Jedi are kinda hard-pressed to know what to do with them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So letting my Padawan game percolate some, I've decided to initially stick them somewhere out of the way (they watched their masters die, so that's worth some trauma recovery) like on a world that had a Jedi Temple in the past and they find the first piece of the treasure map I've got in mind. The second world they'll hang out for a while I'm thinking will be like a DMZ planet where the Republics and Seps can intermingle and there's shenanigans, like cold war-era Berlin. (Haven't figured out just where this might be yet. I can always make my own planet of course, but I am kinda lazy. Maybe one of the Ord planets.)

Has anybody toyed around with making attribute increases easier to come by? I've been looking at the two main Republic sourcebooks and seeing the canon folks in there and how a PC isn't going to measure up and that's always felt a little unfair when I see it in a game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Talkie Toaster posted:

1000% do not do this. Those NPCs are intended to be threats to entire parties, once player characters get attributes of 5-6 it gets incredibly difficult to challenge them. If say the combat char has Brawn 6 Agility 5, then any NPC that can possibly threaten them will be able to oneshot anyone else in the party whilst taking no damage from their attacks.

Appreciate it. As a first-time FFG GM, that would absolutely be one of the ways I would break the game trying to be helpful to players.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what's this I hear about starfighter combat not being super good? Is it a case of not everybody having something to do on-board the ship or just how the rules treat vehicles?

Related, does anybody have a fun notion for a freighter that can hold 4-6 Padawans?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

How about the YT-1250? In Legends, the Trade Federation owned a bunch of them, so they could...acquire one.

That's a good pick. I kind of wanted the HWK-290 but it's a tad small. (It would definitely be on my shopping list if I ever get to play.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You are a good parent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

Sons of Anarchy, but Knights of Ren

"Ridin' through this world... all alone...
"Dark Side takes your soul, you're on your own..."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Perhaps whomever gets the SW RPG license next will actually see if they can have PDFs as part of the deal.

Probably not but it's a nice thought.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Overemotional Robot posted:

Well, since my last post in this thread I went out and bought every single book, beginner game, and gm screen. So... If they do a refresh jokes on me :(

If it helps, you have them now and reprinting anything FFG-related seems dicey at best so just consider it RPG prepping.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is indeed Autofire Man who my friends with more knowledge of the game have said you really need to watch out for.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PantsOptional posted:

It did have one glaring flaw, though. Use the Force was a skill, and like any other skill you could take the Skill Focus feat to increase your roll. The problem is that powers such as the mind trick were rolled against the target’s 4e-style defense “saves”, and those didn’t increase at the same rate as skill bonuses when leveling. A character with Skill Focus and a decent Charisma score could mop the floor with most enemies of much higher levels with even mediocre rolls.

It also had the weird flaw of also being really good at like levels 7-14 or so and kinda pants any other time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

alg posted:

Saga had some poor skill choices that scaled too well, like making Use the Force a skill that you could specialize in.

Defenses also didn't scale well with level, making anything after level 13 a mess.

Edit: also the books went out of print super fast. Like, during the life of the game, some of the books were hard to get.

Yeah, I remember reading a couple of folks saying that the game worked really well at precisely levels 7-13/14* and everything else was not great.

*Which amusingly I believe were the levels in which a Jedi became a Knight and at 14 they graduated to Master.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Disrupters.

Just remove them from your game and pretend they don't exist. Don't let your players buy them.

Also tinker with Autofire.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

It would be harder to run, but even funnier to play a game of ISB agents where you are all trying to destroy it from the inside, but no one is aware the other one is a double agent.

Waaaay back during the West End Games days right after TIE Fighter came out, so inspired my group played an Imperial group for a while and I wish we'd thought to do that. The GM, who was probably overwhelmed with the group wanting him to do it*, just had them go after worse people but then he stopped and thought that it was hard to get worse than blowing up a planet so we switched over to a more traditional tramp freighters thing.

*Of course I know him. He's me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Back of the Bus posted:

I know this isn't a "general Star Wars Roleplaying" thread, but is there one? I'm just getting my Star Wars WEG D6 game off the ground and would love a place to shoot the poo poo about wild die rolls and D6 combat.

I don't know if we're that picky, especially quiet as the thread is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elendil004 posted:

Ah yes first of its kind, there are no Cthulhu mythos roleplaying games out there.

Amusingly FFG has also announced an Arkham Horror RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HidaO-Win posted:

They are one and the same, when Asmodee dismembered FFG, they sent all its RPG content to Edge to do with what they will. So Edge is doing the Arkham Horror RPG for FFG has no longer the tools to do so.

Yeah, I'd completely forgotten about Edge.