Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

True aim is so broken, I love it : Once per round, before the character makes a ranged attack, he may perform a True Aim maneuver. By performing this maneuver, the character gains all the benefits for aiming and also upgrades his attack roll once per rank of True Aim.

With one point it's just the best thing you can do, with two points its insane.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I generally say "what are you gonna do?" and then once they say, "ok gimmie a X check", though most times my players suggest "coerce his rear end!" but they've been around the table a while.

One of the more interesting parts of this game is you want tabletalk, to a certain extent, and too much (or too little) can be hard to manage.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are there stats for rakghouls, or are there similar minions I could pallette swap over?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

jivjov posted:

Still jealous. And mad at FFG. My FLGS signed up and just never heard anything back from FFG and never got the kit.

Same here, really annoyed.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Fuzz posted:

An elegant weapon for a more refined era... that uses brute strength to determine its usage. What?

They should have defaulted it to Agility since it's more about not cutting yourself in half than it is beating down your opponent.

If they defaulted to agility it would make the stat even more overpowered. As it is, a high AGI character is already best pilot and best shot in a game that has a lot of shooting and piloting.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I can't wrap my head around how squad combat and commanding squads works and how dice pools generate attacks and poo poo like that can someone post an example or anything like that?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

No I mean squads and squadrons. I get that you can take a bunch of dudes and form a squadron with a leadership check maneuver, then form them into formations.

But when do you use the tables for spending advantage and triumphs in squad combat. On any rolls you make while attached to a squad? When forming and adjusting formations only?

Aside from acting as ablative wounds, squads seem really lovely and you're better off with a normal minion group shooting or whatever.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That's too bad, they could have done so many cool things with squads.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

FISHMANPET posted:

Has anyone seen Star Wars Rebels? I caught it OnDemand before it premiered and it definitely inspired me, and seemed like a story that could very easily be told in game.

Yeah it's fantastic

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There needs to be a defense bonus for high speed. For example an A wing is fast, but has no armor so it's just as likely to get blown up at speed 1 than at speed 6. The best ships are tanky.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah we need more band managers

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Character Builder link in OP not working, is there a new link?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

We're playing an all droid party in our next in person game, any advice on ways to not get restraining bolted into slavery? Pitfalls, etc?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So we had our first game as an all droid party last night. The GM had a solid fifteen pages of prepped material on infiltrating a neb-b and disabling the hyperdrive, lots of subterfuge, combat, etc.

So of course, we came in on a shuttle with only two lifesigns on it, had a malfunction where some debris and us were blown from the shuttle due to an accident. Landed on the hull, crawled over to where the hyperdrive is, quickflash'd our way in. Bob's your uncle. It was pretty amazing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Flame112 posted:

Why would you prep 15 pages for a single session jesus christ

To be fair there was a lot going on, you know, if the party needed air.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Arcturas posted:

Depending on how big you want the debt, instead of home/homestead, make it a recreation/garden asteroid/station that caters to the super rich. They were banking on a wave of gentrification and expansion. But then the hurts moved into the system and that sector fell out of fashion on Coruscant, leaving the PC holding the bag for this huge investment property/money sink.

?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looselybased posted:

I ask because I found this adventure online that I'm running and at one point you're giving the PCs a choice of different hyperspace routes through a system. I don't understand why they would be given a choice if they wouldn't know what's waiting for them on the end of those routes.

That's the one my party totally cheesed with droids I believe.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Never forget the usefulness of minions. A big bad, even a huge bad, alone will get focused down very fast. Throw in a half dozen stormtroopers, thugs, whatever, and all of a sudden the big bad has a chance to actually do some stuff, and be threatening. It also gives characters who aren't great at combat something to do, distract, use the environment to take down a trooper, etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Working on a character for an IRL game. Considering one of the following:

Secretly force sensitive (so secret he doesn't realize) Hutt Entrepreneur who's a little too good at making deals.

Togruta Marshall who's too old for this poo poo, only 8 days from retirement, etc.

Xexto Charmer who's so slimy and smooth he makes Lando look like the kind of person you'd happily leave your princess with.

Thoughts?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Fuzz posted:

Hutts are technically Force blind, depending on the source.

Now I'm picturing him as having force abilities but never knowing it, and using them totally instinctually and just thinking he's a badass merchant.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

What's a good option for a face character, with a little melee or unarmed skills?
My DM is about to restart the campaign and I'm tired of being the guy that makes up the bluff after someone else says "I roll deception, it works!"
Right now i own Age of Rebellion, but I've left it with my DM so he can use the adventure, he has Edge of the Empire, so anything from either of those is fair game.
I'm hoping to go human, droid, or zabrak.

Faces kind of come in two flavors. Good guys, charm/negotiate and bad guys, coercion/intimidate. What is more your style?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any images of what an HA-5 Aerial Retreat looks like? Or plans for one?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What exactly is a Corellian Sendoff? Is it something FFG invented, or did it happen in a comic or something that was a signature move or some poo poo?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any books have values for trade goods?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The two biggest issues my group has come across is that space combat very much only includes the pilot and it seems to be easier than it should be to fail a simple difficulty dice roll with three dice (but get plenty of advantage).

Overall it is a good system for a heroic narrative game.

If space combat only makes the pilot feel engaged, you're doing it wrong.

When you're stumped, watch the original trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvJDItC6tE0
You've got:
Han Piloting
Chewie working on the shields
Chewie astrogating (and rolling a despair)
Han and Chewie fixing things
Leia piloting with 3P0 assisting (since neither are that great, they get to play off each other)
back to Han and Chewie piloting
3P0 calculating the odds

Now add in the fact that you could have guys doing gunnery, guys slicing the enemy systems and jamming electronics, etc.

As a GM you can do so many fun things with despairs (and you can be liberal with destiny because it's supposed to be epic). Have cargo break lose and guys have to run back and secure it. Things can break, systems can go down, the enemy can clamp on and try to board, etc.

homullus posted:

The core rulebook for EotE has rules for trading (markup for distance and tech level basically), based on the sale price of anything that has a price tag in any supplement, as well as values for larger amounts of spice, if that's your thing.

I was looking for more trade goods, grain, metals, etc.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 17, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You can boil everything down to "make a die roll on your turn" and the game sucks that way.

There's a huge difference between "I shoot at the TIE fighter, [rolls gunnery]" and "I track the TIE and try to keep my shot lined up [rolls gunnery, fails with advantage]. Missing, I yell to the other gunner "You got one coming in low, I missed him but he's shaken up, he's all yours! [allowing the other gunner to make a shot with a boost die]." etc.

But yes, if you run boring space combat then space combat is boring.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

homullus posted:

In a terrestrial gun battle, a gunhaver can look around for a more advantageous position, or a piece of the environment to interact with. If she wants to move, she moves where and when she wants to.

In a space battle, a gunhaver is in a fixed position, and his movement is dictated in whole or in part by others. He can decide to fire or not to fire (which is no decision at all). In space battles with terrain or larger ships, he might choose to target something else, if it happens to be within his firing arc.

It is this, rather than how one chooses to describe actions (which can be applied or not to either kind of combat), that I am talking about.

I just disagree wholeheartedly. I feel like if a player is ever feeling worthless either they need to do something cool or the GM is being too restrictive.

My answer to "space battle are boring" isn't "do less space battles" it's "Make them exciting"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What makes a decision big or small?

Why don't we see the same complaints about a social encounter where the Entrepreneur character is doing all the negotiating?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This game is the king of Ok a thing happens...but...

If your fight is trivialized, throw a ...but... in there.

Especially if that but comes later. So the pilot misses his moment because the hacker one shot the TIE fighters. Sure. The crew lands, does their stuff and takes off right into an Imperial salvage and rescue operation. Time to fly casual.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What's wrong with onslaught at arda? I've never ran it but it looks fun...

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Doing an intro oneshot for some friends on Sunday. The folios from the beginner sets looks like good premades for this purpose, but is there a premade force user? Preferably not from F&D? (They're gonna be EotE types)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Plus the premades don't always follow chargen rules, I believe.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I used to have a good 1 page printer friendly (B&W) sheet with what the dice did, examples of advantage and disadvantage spends, etc. Something for each player to have in front of them. Those still kicking around?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looking to run a bunch of the pre made modules, starting with eote stuff, is there a good narrative (or difficulty) arc between them? A recommended order?

edit: they're all new, as well, is there a list of all the EOTE potential classes and short descriptors so folks can see?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Fuzz posted:

You could just condense the career blurbs from each book into one pdf, I guess. It'd be a simple career digest, of sorts.

True, I might just do that.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I always wanted a mechanic where you could, as a light side user, utilize a dark side point but at a cost.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am having folks make new characters tonight, but i want to give them some xp during their backstory so they can actually have a few talents, but then they're going through the "Beginner" game, so I don't want to dump 90xp on them, I was thinking 30/45? Thoughts?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah it's certainly going to be XP after creation,so it can't go to characteristics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oggdude's generator doesnt have content from the bounty hunter splatbook, that's annoying, this thing is usually bulletproof.