Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

jivjov posted:

:siren:DO NOT GO TO THE BATTLEFRONT THREAD. SOME loving DIPSHIT LOSER POSTED MASSIVE UNTAGGED SPOILERS:siren:

Taking preventative measures now to keep spoilers to a minimum, check back in with you guys on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

LordNat posted:

By the time of TFA comes around most of the old clone troopers are likely dead from their faster aging.

This is incredibly briefly mentioned in TFA in a short exchange between Kylo and Hux, but I don't know what this thread's stance is on saying these things so... yeah. Clones are, if at least not still partially a thing, at least considered as viable still. They don't seem to be used by the First Order though.

But yeah, I thought EU always had multiple "remnants" in the form of the various warlords immediately following ROTJ (Zsinj, etc).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ShineDog posted:

There's no stock for this drat game in the uk

When I bought my three core rulebooks in late November ahead of the inevitable The Force Awakens rush, they had both been pretty drat near impossible to find in the country where I live (Germany), and at the time I had to just get them from amazon.co.uk, where they had plenty in stock. Maybe you can check and see if the situation's reversed now and you can order it from non-UK Amazon?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yvonmukluk posted:

Really, which one? Unless that'd be spoilers.

I know Chronicles of the Gatekeeper has one, and that's not really spoilers at all.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Same, also euro time zones work better for me anyways.

Maybe there's enough interest to try to get two groups going?

Another Euro TZ dude checking in. These days unfortunately I don't have time to GM a proper live game, but I'd love to get in on a weekend (Sat/Sun) EU roll20 game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Doctor Epitaph posted:

How well does using the three base games together work? I got the impression early you're supposed to stick with one core book, but you see manner of archetypes in the movies, so that feels more like Star Wars to me. If so, are you expected to use all of the background subsystems, or just stick to one (I imagine the one that matches the campaign feel the best).

You can use all three together, and even go so far as using all three background systems I suppose (obligation/duty/morality), but it'll be a bitch for the GM to track. Most people recommend that mixing the classes between the rulebooks is just fine, but for sanity's sake make everyone play using either obligation or duty or morality regardless of class. Morality is also kinda dumb compared to the other two.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Trilas posted:

I like to roll at the end of the session, so I've got time to work up some goofy wrench to throw in to things.

That sounds great in a "stay tuned for next episode!" kinda cheesy teaser way, too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ijyt posted:

So I've never GM'd before but me and my friends have always wanted to play an RPG around the table. We tried a generic fantasy but it was to hard for most to get invested in. Another friend tried running a Dark Heresy game but the issue there was not enough people were familiar with the setting.

So I thought I might try my hand at something but I never thought a SW RPG would exist. Are the beginner boxes really all I need or would I/we benefit from having a core book too? I was thinking of picking up both EE and AR boxes, I feel like most would enjoy the bounty hunter aspect of EE but they might like to lead in to AR.

The beginner boxes are all you'll really need for the first session or two as long as you're fine using pregenerated characters. The AoR beginner box adventure is generally seen as better than the EotE one though.. it's more of a story and less of a blatant tutorial quest than EotE.

The core books are fantastic though and chock full of amazing art and production quality. They're also expensive, so maybe wait until you get a session or two in before deciding to buy one of them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dimo ArKacho posted:

So I've started building campaign ideas for a monster of the week/tv episode style game, and I could use some inspiration. The idea is that the party are a bunch of explorers on a clone war era isd (I forget what they were called) that has been retrofitted for deep space exploration and colony seeding. They get shot off into Unknown Space by the powers that be, and poo poo happens.
(This starts part-Ep3, pre-Ep4)

I realize this is super uncanon and whatever, but of the whole group playing, only two of us are really nerdy about star wars, and neither of us give a crap. We just want star wars flavored farscape adventures, basically.

My question is, do any of you have any good plot hooks/EU nonsense that goes down outside of the main or even fringe systems? I'm cool with making poo poo up as I go, but having actual stuff already baked in is cool too.

Vaguely the same idea was explored by the Outbound Flight project (see: Heir to the Empire, and the eponymous follow-up novel by Timothy Zahn)... basically a large expedition out into the Unknown Regions / outside the edge of the galaxy. It didn't actually do anything like what you want though, but the Republic definitely did dispatch stuff out into the unknown before its death.

The good thing about the Unknown Regions is that, well... they're unknown. You can do whatever crazy stuff you want to with them. Their hyperspace routes are uncharted and unstable, so you can definitely lose yourself there. Maybe you run into remnants of stuff from Star Wars's past (maybe there are some survivors from the KOTOR-era Sith Empire out there? Or giant monsters created by Sith alchemy like the Leviathans?), or potentially stuff from its no-longer-canon future (Killiks, an advance Yuuzhan Vong scout outpost, the Chiss Ascendency).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Well, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are faaaaaaaaaaaaart

In your groups case though, without a dedicated pilot character, if I were the GM I'd just handwave piloting and exclude space combat altogether.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Maybe he's a core worlds space trucker who's never needed to see combat as he plies his wares from world to world?

Or he's just an idiot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zodack posted:

Right now they are definitely more engaged, but it's still got that... "this is a videogame" feel to them.

The issue is I'm either not pacing things right and the hooks for certain players aren't coming up. I agree they aren't great players, but I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and try to improve my sessions to where there is a little bit for everyone. This last one we had a great RP with the Obligation of the Doctor, and the Pilot tried to RP more, but it was obvious that the group was tunnel visioning on the "main quest" as if this were some kind of video game. I can go into specifics but I don't want to once again make giant blog-post dumps in the thread.

Likely I will do this. In combat a few of my players didn't even know they had one action and one maneuver, even though I tried to show what you can do in combat with the NPCs. It's just a case of "I won't read the rules and everything will work out", I think.

His background is "ace Imperial pilot who became the captain of a Star Destroyer, who was subsequently sold out to the Rebellion". Obligation is Betrayal. Nelson's got it right - too lazy to read the rules. I'm not sure if they think that it's the GM's job to tell them how to do everything (I am more than happy to explain rules to them they don't understand, but the core book exists for a reason).

Then honestly, it sounds like you have three options, listed here in order of priority as far as I see it:

1.) Have a frank, open talk with all of them about how this Is Not A Video Game and shouldn't be treated as such. I mean you don't have to be all "this is serious business" since that just makes you come across as a tremendous geeklord, but they need to understand that in this RPG system specifically, the focus is very heavily on the story and not on the mechanics. This is also going to be the hardest sell, since I know the type of metagaming min-maxers that you're talking about, and it's pretty much impossible to break them out of this mindset. But especially if they're the types who are literally playing Dawn of War in between their turns, that tells me that they aren't really there for the RPG at all and that they're just going through the motions because you're their buddy. This isn't on you, it's on them -- they just aren't that interested. Alternatively, play Dark Heresy or one of the other 40K RPG's? Maybe that will hook them more?

2.) Find a new group. You mentioned this is impossible, so :shrug: But you should seriously explore the option of either handing over the GMing to another one of the group, or just stop playing tabletop RPG's with them altogether and do other activities with them instead.

3.) Change your style to match theirs. Give them a video-game-in-paper form. Certainly possible, but probably difficult with the FFG SW system and, frankly, soul-crushing as a GM and you should very much Not Do This.

Zodack posted:

The backstory he wrote is that the Rebellion bribed his commanding officer into drawing his Star Destroyer out into empty space, where he was ambushed by the Rebellion. Most of his men were killed, he was captured, tortured and left for dead. Presumably he was tortured so hard they didn't lock him up so he just walked into their hangar, half dead, and stole an A-wing. Now he's a "cynical smuggler" who hates the Empire and the Rebellion. But the Empire more, because, you know, they're the bad guys.

This is the worst backstory I've ever read, and I used to play Star Trek Online. Is this guy 12?

TheTofuShop posted:

REWARD THEM FOR ROLEPLAYING.

Also, goddamn, THIS. The EotE/AoR/F&D system explicitly tells the GM to use this as a mechanic to get people more engaged, by throwing out extra XP for fulfilling story-based goals, roleplaying their obligation, and just good roleplaying in general. Make sure your party knows this -- it may not sink in at first, but when it comes time for you to distribute XP, remind them that you told them this and then see what they do when you award the one guy in the group who does actually roleplay with slightly more points. This isn't you being a dick GM, this is you literally following the rules of the game as they were meant.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Doesn't the Imperial Navy have like tens of thousands of Star Destroyers?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Also how do you smuggle things in a stolen A-Wing

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

alg posted:

I can understand sticking with bad players if they are your friends. Never ever play with random people from the Internet or Roll20.

Sometimes that's the only option :saddowns:

Is there still any interest in a goon EU-time zone Roll20 game? I feel like that's been a thing that's been close to happening a few times but then falls apart for whatever reason, mostly around questions of scheduling and who would want to GM -- I think the interest was definitely there last time though!

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 22, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

susan posted:

Groovy :) . What kind of game you thinkin'?

Anyway, Sunday work for everyone in the Eurozone? There's about an 8hr difference, so maybe like 5pm Grenwich Mean/9am Pacific as a preliminary target?

Yeah, there's an 8 hour difference between US Pacific and GMT, so a 6pm game in the UK would be 10am on the West Coast.

I'm GMT+1 and would be totally down for a Sunday game, that's actually probably the best day of the week for me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zodack posted:

Speaking of tropes and character roles, what are some of the best or most bizarre ones you've seen or heard of in EotE or the other settings?

I vaguely remember a goon application for a PbP waaay back when who submitted a Jawa who lived inside of a hollowed-out R2 unit.

I've been sitting on a character based on one of my SWTOR dudes: a morbidly obese bounty hunter with a wannabe hardass attitude and a severe case of Dunning-Kruger. He had Obligation: Addiction (food), and was inspired by Patton Oswalt's soldiers of fortune convention bit. I debated whether or not his physique confined him to a Rascal Scooter undersized speeder moped.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The basic functionality of Roll20's free version will work just fine, the subscriptions only add quality-of-life improvements if you're doing a complicated campaign or running multiple games.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

owl milk posted:

Oh awesome, there's a hangout app for dice rolling. Alright I'll get started on a thread, if people wouldn't mind playing on the 28th that would be great, otherwise we can aim for the 6th.

Either of those works for me. Do you have any thoughts for the type of game so we can start thinking about character creation? Exclusively one of the systems, or a mix-and-match?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zodack posted:

I get the feeling I have poor session planning because I fail to include everyone's backgrounds into the story, but it's maddening that he won't even roleplay to give me an inch of something to work off of.

You need to stop blaming the victim here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Really from the latest update, it sounds like it's only the one guy (assassin droid) who needs poking. The others seem either really into it (other droid) or into it but maybe uncomfortable with the level of roleplay...?

But maybe there are other reasons that he's seemingly not engaged besides "doesn't want to be playing this." Maybe he doesn't know how to RP his character, maybe he feels like his voice gets drowned out by others, or maybe he just isn't a huge fan of a narrative system and would prefer something more combat-heavy. The only way to really find out is to talk to him about the game, what he gets out of it and what he wants to get out of it. Then you need to explain to him that he's going to have to meet you halfway if you do your part.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FuriousAngle posted:

So I ran the EotE starter adventure the other day and it went about exactly the way I thought it would.

Observations:

-I really like the core mechanics. I love the dice but sharing dice kinda blows.

-Successes seem REALLY easy to get. Does anyone else find this? Is this intentional?

-Some players are hilariously indignant whenever they commit a crime and someone wants them to stop. Or, even worse, when someone tries to hold them responsible for their criminal actions.

-The dice pool can get pretty big, huh? If advantage dice don't cancel out disadvantage dice, and those dice stack, you could in theory have one player aided by all of his teammates to get 3 blue advantage dice, while also being hindered by the enemy side and getting 4 disadvantage dice, right? Or am I completely misunderstanding that rule?

-Was this adventure significantly easier than other adventures due to its instructional nature? Are other missions not such cakewalks from one massacre to the next?

-There's the official dice roller app that people seem to like (iOS and Android), but it's $5 which seems a bit much. Still cheaper than the real dice though.

-Now that you mention it, they do feel somewhat easy to get, but this is also highly dependent on the skill check and the difficulty. As the GM you can (and should!) regularly use destiny points to upgrade a difficulty die to one of the red dice, and understand when to use setback/boost dice to modify the difficulty as well. It all ties in with the cinematic design.

-To me that just sounds like your party would make great employees of a Hutt. Hired muscle with no morals? Sounds perfect. Hopefully you don't have any force sensitives.

-I don't have my rulebook handy at the moment but I'm reasonably certain that only one player can assist another, thus granting only one boost die.

-Yes, and yes. The EotE starter adventure is very much a tutorial, while the AoR starter adventure is something more akin to something bigger.

All in all it sounds like your session went fine assuming your party (and you) are angling for really being no-morality shithead thugs. Which can work really well in Star Wars. That being said I can understand if you're disappointed by their behavior, since it's typical of people who play more granular combat-with-a-dash-of-RP games like D&D or what have you, or people who treat it like a video game where you don't face the consequences of your actions.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 29, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FuriousAngle posted:

So the question I have about this is that when Force points are used, doesn't the other side get to respond by deciding to spend a Force point of their own? Like if the GM says "The Stormtrooper squad uses a Force point to up one of their dice" can't the player say "Okay, I use a Force point to up the difficulty of the attack?" Wouldn't that essentially balance everything out and keep the Force pool static?

They can't do this. At least, that's what I would rule. The core book is slightly unclear on this, but it does explicitly mention that the Destiny Point is only flipped after the check has been resolved.

I would use the design behind the Destiny system as justification for prohibiting this: the system is there to vaguely represent the will of the Force guiding certain actions. The Force can't simultaneously make an action both easier and harder like this, it's got to be one or the other.

quote:

I was talking about using advantages. I'm still not 100% on the terminology, really. For example, a player uses 2 rolled advantage points to give Player A a boost die. The next player uses 2 rolled advantage points to give Player A a boost die. Do those two boosts get added, or can you only have one boost die at at time? Similarly, can you only have one disadvantage die? Or can you have multiple disadvantages added to your pool?

As a GM I'd probably not allow this because it just makes no sense to me (or at least I'd think about capping it), but as far as I can find in the rulebook, there's nothing preventing this.

FuriousAngle posted:

Great advice. I'll have to look into it. There were a couple of times in my adventure where I just made up some arbitrary "Enh, 3 purple 1 red sounds about right" difficulty and that seemed to work out fine.

Red dice are only used in two circumstances: 1.) the GM uses a dark side Destiny Point to upgrade the one of the difficulty dice in a given check from a purple to a red, or 2.) the check is opposed by an NPC who has skill (example would be a coercion check against an NPC who has 1 level of the Coercion skill, so where normally a hard difficulty would be 3 purple dice, it would instead be 2 purples and one red... this mirrors what a player making the same check gets if they have the Coercion 1 skill).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Admiral Joeslop posted:

By the same token, spending Advantage doesn't work how you described. Since initiative is on a NPC/PC basis and not by individual character basis, you don't say "I will give X player a boost". Instead, you say "I will give the next PC slot a boost/the next NPC slot a setback".

This means there is no way to stack boosts on a PC and you can only stack onto an NPC if there is one NPC only.

However Rule 0 exists so you can run it how you like.

Actually, 1 advantage = a boost die to the next PC, 2 advantage = a boost die to the designated PC.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Didn't AoR at some point (with the GM screen maybe? I forget) also include advanced rules for squadron-based fighter combat? How are those?

The idea of a Wraith Squadron type campaign is just so good and I've been thinking about doing it for awhile.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I've been considering giving this game a try with my group.

I love the Star Wars universe (more than the movies themselves actually) and I think the structured "talent tree" system that I understand it can be pretty interesting to my players, since a couple of them like involved character progression and lots of options... am I right thinking this game supports that kind of play?

Also, what would you guys say this game does right and wrong?

Is there any plan to release an old republic sourcebook? I feel like setting the game in the rebellion era isn't the most interesting option.

The game is much more freeform than, say, games like D&D or Pathfinder. The penalties for having multiple specializations on your character are honestly not debilitating, and you aren't required to fill in your career's skill tree completely.

What I think the game does right: narrative/cinematic feel. It captures that seat-of-your-pants, sci-fi/western feel of Star Wars very well, and the Advantage/Triumph system opens up a lot of paths for really ingenious/hilarious roleplaying, further contributing to the Hollywood feel of it.

What I think the game does wrong: nothing really. Space combat isn't really "wrong", it's just not really "good".

And as far as I know there are no plans to release any sourcebooks for anything outside the original trilogy (or, at least, outside of OT + New Trilogy). They have included some limited content from Rebels, but that sorta belongs to the OT time period anyway. An Old Republic-era sourcebook would be cool, but I don't really see it happening.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It also says something about the quality of the game (or maybe just supply-chain issues) that the game generally has a hard time staying in stock, especially the beginner boxes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

If you're looking for an Old Republic experience, I think the Force and Destiny books could fill that role. The nice thing about the Star Wars universe is that the technology and character archetypes haven't really changed all that much between the Rebellion era and the time of the Jedi.

About the only technological difference that I can really think of off the top of my head is that vibroblades are slightly more commonplace/viable than ranged weapons. Aside from that, there's really nothing stopping someone from reskinning a Stormtrooper as a Sith Empire Trooper or whatever.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zodack posted:

They are directed to land in the city. PTSD overcomes my party at the thought of having to pay 100 credits each to park their ship.

No offense but your party sounds kinda awful. But it's not for any one major huge reason, just a bunch of really tiny reasons like this. Death by a thousand cuts and all.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Star Wars Episode VIII: Finn and Poe Dithering About Docking Fees For 2 Hours

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Black_Nexus posted:

The group that I play with has a group fund that we pay all this with, we split 50% of all payments between the 4 of us and the other 50% goes into the ship fund. People can use the fund for cool stuff that they want, but we all have to agree on it.

Paying fees is kind of part of the game, and really? 100 credits?! That is nothing lol!

Is it like a D&D mindset?

The nascent goon group that we formed here a couple weeks ago has taken to doing this too.. last session we would have each earned like 500something credits or some random number, so we just pushed it down to an even 400 per person with the remainder going into a ship fund.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ralltiir was bombarded and subsequently invaded by Lord Tion, an Imperial governor/military commander, on the Emperor's orders, shortly before and during ANH.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So having only limited experience with the game system in a PbP format, I've got a question: what makes EotE/AoR/FaD not lend itself particularly well to play-by-post? I know I've heard multiple GM's say that they really don't care for running it as a forums game but never really enumerated reasons why. If there are concrete reasons, is there any way to "fix" them?

Or is it the nature of Star Wars roleplaying in general? I dont recall really ever seeing any Saga or D6 play-by-posts before the current series either.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I've not played this campaign or anything but is Amazon.de trying to tell me something about the quality of this one? :v:

Also goddamn almost everything Star Wars RPG-related is out of stock on Amazon in this country and has been since like October. I don't have a pressing need for these splatbooks at all but I'm tempted to order the ones that actually are available just so I don't have to worry about them being ungettable whenever I finally do get around to needing them. Probably a bad justification to crack open the wallet, though.

Drone fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 25, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

jivjov posted:

How brutal would international shipping be? Maybe a US goon could pick up sets off Amazon to ship overseas?

From experience, pretty prohibitive. However I have had luck ordering from other European versions of Amazon... If the local Amazon.de doesn't have it, there's a decent chance that Amazon.co.uk does. And, for the moment anyway, shipping from Britain to elsewhere in the EU is cheap and easy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ShineDog posted:

As mentioned a page or so back, it's not very well suited to this.

It's great for roll20 though.

I'm still convinced it can work somehow though, you'd just need some of the aforementioned houserules and you'd have to have a group of people who knew the drawbacks of doing it PbP and were fine with it.

I want to believe :negative:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Major Isoor posted:

That's another good idea - perhaps an accelerant for the compound/whatever-it-is that causes the clones to age twice as fast? (I'm pretty sure that's mentioned in Ep2, so they can be trained and deployed more rapidly) Leaving a lot of dead old people in its wake, (aside from maybe a couple of support/advisory personnel who weren't clones or something) who all aged 60 years in days or something. Just an idea, at this stage. I'll definitely need to give that some more thought, too...

And yeah, I think I'll have to start going back through the list of creepy-ship horror movies that I've seen, ShineDog - certainly can't hurt by getting some pointers from those.

Could be cool too if the virus only targeted the clone troopers aboard the ships, but left their non-clone officers (the Republic Navy had quite a few of those) alive. In the intervening 25-30 years or so since the conflict, they could have come to terms with being stranded and started a little community or something.

But having them all killed by some mysterious creatures (maybe dark-side ones to make it cooler?) would be cool too and add an air of survival horror to the whole thing. Maybe there was a terentatek loose on the planet that killed them all and the players have to either play some kind of Alien-style cat-and-mouse game with it, or outright kill it before they can take the ships.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kai Tave posted:

I have to admit that full on Age of Rebellion games seem like the least played sort compared to Edge of the Empire bounty hunters and smugglers or Force & Destiny Jedi hijinks.

It's probably a bit of compensation for how things were previously (anecdotally, every single supplement I'd ever seen for WEG d6 involved the players being in the Rebellion; and I don't recall any official Imperial sourcebook or anything for d20 but I might be wrong there), and a bit of the sign of the times. Up until fairly recently (within the last 15ish years?), the idea of Star Wars as this black-and-white moral universe has been challenged by a lot of people who want to see more shades of grey injected into the setting, for better or worse.

Anecdotally though I'd have thought F&D was the least-played of the three core games.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

jivjov posted:

Accurate.

God I hope the green saber pops up in the Sequel Trilogy

Was anyone else really put off by the fact that the saber Rey uses is the hand-me-down Anakin Skywalker lightsaber? The same one that Luke lost with his hand and that plummeted out of the ventilation chute on Cloud City and down into the Bespin atmosphere, being forever lost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

At least regarding gunporn and ship customizations: while they certainly weren't really brought up in the movies, they've definitely been A Thing in Star Wars for long, long before this current incarnation of the RPG. The lived-in universe and Han & Chewie being shown tinkering with the hot-rodded Millennium Falcon paint a very definite picture of technological customization being important.

You're pretty right about combat though.