Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Claytor posted:

The announcement feels an awful lot like we're a couple more product updates out from the phrase "completes the product line."

Unless they're sitting on a sequel trilogy sourcebook.

Really the only things left for them to put out are: setting sourcebooks for other eras (not likely given Disney and canon, but one can dream), adventure modules (yeah okay but these probably aren't massive sellers), some kind of organized play (we're way too far past launch for that), or a second edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I've been interested in the system for a while and theres a possibility I might end up running a game over Discord. How much trouble is that to set up, and how should I go about it?

Uh, you start a Discord server and invite your players to it. That's about as much as you need for a bare minimum setup, assuming you are comfortable going 100% theater of the mind (which works fine in this system imo).

Roll20 is a good supplement to Discord. However in my 1.5 year long campaign that wrapped up early this year, we eventually got to the point where we pretty much stopped using the virtual tabletop part of Roll20 (except to occasionally draw out rough diagrams and maps) and pretty much only used it for the dice roller scripting (which requires the GM have Roll20 Premium). A dice bot in your Discord server will do just as well, though it wouldn't have a direct link to character sheets.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

StashAugustine posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm going to talk over what exactly we want to do, but I'm thinking a loose mission-by-mission campaign in a frontier sector where valuable military resources have been discovered, either EotE where they're criminals moving in with new opportunity or rebels trying to disrupt Imperial industry. Any suggestions for what the resource should be from people who remember more EU stuff than I do? Also, is the AoR core rulebook adventure worth running?

I did a mission-based AoR-focused campaign and set it in the Tion Sector. Not so much out of specific choice, more out of convenience (the campaign started as just an experiment in converting an old WEG D6 adventure to the FFG system... we went with Mission to Lianna). On the second mission I chose a random nearby system from swgalaxymap.com that didn't seem to have any real established lore on Wookieepedia, and made that our home base. Put a small Imperial mining facility and starfighter production plant on the planet, gave the base a Force-imbued mystery to be solved, and let the party take over the base and use it as the home of their Rebel cell.

Our missions generally kept us in that corner of the galaxy, but we did go farther afield a few times.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I think Gatekeeper's pretty okay. I ran it about a year and a half ago, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but:

Act 1: probably the weakest part in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of the basically-Endor planet, but it's fine.
Act 2: good, and quite sandboxy in its approach. Has some good setting, especially if the party is into the Clone Wars and run-down dingy urban atmospheres.
Act 3: good but iirc quite short, especially if your GM is good at worldbuilding and running a slightly horror-ish game. The big reveal is telegraphed a mile away though, which makes that much a little underwhelming.

The adventure also includes an optional "Act 0" which acts as the hook... it's short and sweet, but does the job.

The unique Force power from the module is also pretty interesting from a narrative standpoint.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Crumbletron posted:

Instead, I brought back the apprentice from Act 1. This led to some cool scenes with the big bad, especially since that relationship was ripe for exploration.

Oh yeah, that character was definitely the one that got the most mileage for our group. They not only torched his mansion but also arrested him and kept him confined as he went insane while reliving the trauma of losing Warde. I also reframed their relationship a bit so that it was less master/apprentice and more gay space lovers, which the module already hints at several times anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Don't the rules say you can't come out of chargen with an FR higher than 1 in a non-Knight level game? Or am I making that up?

Of course it's all dependent on GM really.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Suzaku posted:

So what I'm hearing is if there are any books I really want, get them now. I'm currently trying to get all the imperial assault stuff and some of the minis seem to already be disappearing. I don't want the same thing to happen to the RPG books too...

I've been one splatbook away from completing all of the EotE line for like two years. No Disintegrations has eluded me so far here in Europe, and the last shipment that I heard about ~6 months ago was sold out before I could grab a copy :sigh:

Hopefully the stock situation remains relatively okay for awhile on the rest of the line though. I've been wanting to move on to AoR but the budget just isn't there at at the moment.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

jivjov posted:

I can hit my my FLGSs, if you don't mind covering the rather exorbitant shipping from the US to Europe

Thanks for the offer but I'm not willing to pay twice MSRP for the thing just to have it shipped here.

I was just in the States two weeks ago visiting family and was too stupid to remember to go RPG shopping while I was there :sigh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

13 bucks for shipping there. Definitely better than "the cost of the book itself".

I'm gonna wait and see if the FFG layoff news has any impact on stock over the next few weeks/months before biting the bullet. Rumors I'm hearing now are "situation normal, we're just gonna use freelancers for everything now" and that it doesn't mean the series is forever out-of-print. But that can change quickly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hellburger99 posted:

Should I grab the EotE starter game, or would it be better to grab Age of Rebellion one? And speaking of which, just how easy is it to run a game with PCs from both books? Yeah, I know they're all compatible, but just because they can work together doesn't always mean that they work together well. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Note: I'm not super interested in the Jedi book. I want to run something either in the Galactic Civil War setting or just after it, so either way jedi should be fairly rare. So unless there's something in that particular starter that's insanely good and would benefit a rebel or scum style game, I'd rather stick with one of the other two.

I would buy the starter for whichever type of game (EotE or AoR) you are more likely to want to play, imo they're both totally fine adventures to start a campaign with. Both starter adventures also have free PDF supplements on FFG's site that give you another adventure that links directly into the one you just paid (EotE is Long Arm of the Hutt, I forget what AoR's is).

It's really easy to run a game with PCs from all three books, but most people recommend you choose just one Obligation/Duty mechanic and stick with it for the entire party, even if it means you have a player with an AoR who takes Obligation. Morality is a little different and is probably also a bit up to you, but I've had Force Sensitive players use Morality on top of their Obligation/Duty.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Do we know the terms of their contract with Disney? It almost certainly includes a requirement for them to publish x amount of Star Wars products per year, right?

Or is Legion selling strongly enough to support everything? How's X-Wing doing these days?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Would offering a bribe result in Conflict?

From a certain point of view... :v:

What's the context? And what's the character's specific Morality strength/weakness?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yeah I wouldn't give Conflict for that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

All of the setting splats are pretty good (Lords of Nal Hutta/Suns of Fortune/Strongholds of Resistance/Nexus of Power etc. etc.). Career-wise it's kinda harder to say because what's interesting for me and useful (Far Horizons, since I love playing Colonist characters and building a colony/base/business) might not be interesting for you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I can't speak to the quality of the two sourcebooks since I haven't read them, but afaik they were well-received, if coming somewhat late in the RPG line's lifecycle.

I've used Tabletop Simulator and Roll20 for tabletop RPGs and I really prefer Roll20. It can be finicky to set up the FFG dice on it though (and accessing the plugin that lets you do it requires you to have one of the non-free Roll20 subscription tiers), but the character sheets are nice and being able to roll directly off the character sheets is a big plus. But you have to have a little patience to put up with it.

If I were to GM again in a Star Wars group, I'd probably just rely on theater-of-the-mind honestly and use a Discord bot for dice rolls. Maps are good and cool to help build up some immersion (especially if not all of your players have a brain full of useless Star Warsia at their disposal), but they aren't necessary at all for the system.

The idea of 1-on-1 with this system is kinda neat, might be fun to play around with. Though I would definitely give the player a sidekick (a droid or other type of companion) that they can control, effectively letting them play two-handed -- this doesn't mean a GMPC.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 3, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

alg posted:

Like, during the life of the game, some of the books were hard to get.

This doesn't sound much different to how FFG Star Wars has always been. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

We also have a goon one for the Star Wars RPG (obviously far less active though, but at one point a year or two ago we had like 3-4 regular games happening): https://discord.gg/sNBbf6vf

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

karmicknight posted:

I should set aside time for another karmicgame.

:sickos:

Want my Yuuzhan Vong notes? :haw:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Serperoth posted:

or some of the homebrew or converted ones

I converted Mission to Lianna from WEG d6 for our first adventure all those years ago, that one was pretty good :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

As much as I love the Star Wars system, CoC and its various branches (Pulp and Delta Green) already do everything that I could ever want in a Lovecraftian roleplaying game :shrug: