Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Obviously I am not friends with any filthy casuals so the situation would never occur, but it is an interesting thought exercise. I think my first reaction would be a mixture of bewilderment and disgust, but at least they would always be intimidated and humbled by your gamerscore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if it's peggle they're still alright

peggle is a masterpiece of casual games

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

More like peg-girl.

I assume. I haven't actually ever played it!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
go play it. it will make you a better poster + enrich your life.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I dont know. I am not sure anything can help me overcome my hatred of filthy casuals.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

"good job finally stepping down from playing 8 hours of games every day, now go finish up your degree and beat the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat moron dad for antagonizing you about your depression. i would come over to help then play peggle with you but thats geographically impossible right now"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
beat the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

elf help book posted:

beat the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat

now that's what I call getting peggle'd!!!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

lol you guys know how to make me smile on a lovely monday morning

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Poniard posted:

lol you guys know how to make me smile on a lovely monday morning

I am glad casual gaming can finally be of use to an imper

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Poniard posted:

"good job finally stepping down from playing 8 hours of games every day, now go finish up your degree and beat the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat moron dad for antagonizing you about your depression. i would come over to help then play peggle with you but thats geographically impossible right now"

thats what vnc is for

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I didn't really know how to react, to be honest.

I was sitting across from my friend and I had just Force of Will'd his first combo piece for his deck. You see, his entire deck is based around 'going-off' turn zero (before the second player has even started their first turn). He thinks it is fun and likes cool combos. He also almost never loses when he plays this deck.

Let me back up a bit. Often you will hear him say loudly and out-of-nowhere, "Yeah, just wait until I get out my combo deck!" This is usually said after losing using some other deck.

Well, a couple days prior he tells me "Hey man, you should come play Legacy at this shop I go to." I tell him, yeah, I will go and see how it is. This shop is known for being really casual. Mistake number one. I get in there and I hear guys talking about how expensive Magic is and how they don't want to pay the $2 buy-in fee for the Legacy tournament they are having, especially since they think my friend with the combo deck will automatically win.

I sit down next to them and chat them up a bit about why they think Legacy is so expensive. They start ranting and raving about pay-to-win and how the only cards that are expensive are Blue cards like Force of Will. They think that Blue is objectively the most un-fun color in Magic: The Gathering because you can counter spells. I say to them, "But Blue is the only way to stop combo decks from automatically winning." Mistake number two. They got really mad at me and said that I was the kind of person ruining Magic since Islands are just unfun.

They then brought out their EDH decks and started to play. The tournament started shortly thereafter.

It wasn't long before I was in the finals across from my friend. Everyone was gathered around us. Most people just wanted to see my deck play-out because they had never seen anyone with an "expensive" deck before. It didn't get to play-out. My friend tried to combo-off turn zero both games and both games I shut him down. Once the second game was over all I heard were cries of "Pay to win human being", "That guy was an Island player, it's alright" and "What a try-hard." I quickly got my 3 packs which I rightfully won and left.

I have never talked to that 'friend' since then.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

thats what vnc is for

how do you beat up a bad dad over vnc

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I had only intended this to be for bad videogamers but I guess it can also count for bad trad gamers too. Nothing gets me more steamed then some idiot selecting prospector in a game of puerto rico, am I right fellas?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Back on vanilla Blackrock (if you can time travel, this server was objectively the best way to experience wow in the day) I would gank in Westfall. Every once in a while I would get a pm from a dude who had another account and spam me for ganking their Alliance lowbie.

that's the closest I've gotten to a casual in video games.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I don't know much about the populations of wow servers back in vanilla, but if it had a bias to horde perhaps it was you who was the casual! Sorry to blow your mind, maaaan!

However, you do bring up a good point: Casual gamers are still a valuable source for the pubbie tears that power any true goon gaming group. (GGG for short)

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I'm not a casual gamer. Please don't pester me with these trivial insults.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Hah. Sorry man! For a second there I forgot I was posting in imp zone and not games. Ain't no imp zoner a casual gamer.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Peggle owns and I can't wait for XBONE EXCLUSIVE PEGGLE3!!!!! I'll play just dance using my KINECT until it comes out!! I AM A CASUAL GAMER. also don't forget the most ownage game BEJEWELED 3!!!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odr3zwdLf5I

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
1) I don't have any friends
2) I'm actually secretly a casual myself

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i'd probably ask her out on a date

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i'd probably ask her out on a date

good point. never met a woman irl who wasn't a casual.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

They don't call it casgirl gaming for nothing.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
play all games imo

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

die cas scum

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

LaTex Fetish posted:

good point. never met a woman irl who wasn't a casual.

MY GIRLFRIEND plays Torchlight 2 with me and we play on HARDCORE

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Phwoar. Wouldn't mind seeing that gamer babe go hardcore, if you know what I mean!!!! Talk about a high score, mate!

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

SeXReX posted:

wow congrats man. really wish I could settle down with a nice girl over some darkfall pvp

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

LaTex Fetish posted:

wow congrats man. really wish I could settle down with a nice girl over some darkfall pvp

the coin has a flip side though too.

she still plays pokemon games

no facebook games though even she realizes those are loving terrible.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 18, 2014

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
i'm a casual dota player :unsmigghh:

Crunchy Nut
Mar 26, 2013
Casual gaming is to gaming what casual sex is to sex, ie. empty and unsatisfying.

Whether it's gaming or sex, my advice is the same: if you're going to do it, do it with a professional.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
loving KILL HIM

Best Regards,
RG

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LaTex Fetish posted:

Back on vanilla Blackrock (if you can time travel, this server was objectively the best way to experience wow in the day) I would gank in Westfall. Every once in a while I would get a pm from a dude who had another account and spam me for ganking their Alliance lowbie.

that's the closest I've gotten to a casual in video games.

Blackrock forums were better than the server, IMNSHO.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

RichardGamingo posted:

loving KILL HIM

Best Regards,
RG

i like the new av

Dec 26, 2012

i could never tell, is he holding a turd or a dildo

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I would ask him to come with me into a bar, buy him a beer and then tell him it's not working anymore.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

program666 posted:

I would ask him to come with me into a bar, buy him a beer and then tell him it's not working anymore.

help what's wrong with my beer, it isn't working anymore

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

one of my oldest and closest friends cannot perform hadokens and dragon punches consistently
if I use super moves he tells me it's bullshit because he can't do them

we've been playing fighting games together for 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Seshoho Cian posted:

one of my oldest and closest friends cannot perform hadokens and dragon punches consistently

a 'friend' of mine tried to correct my hadouken imitation by telling me it was "kamehameha" and the move was called the kamehameha wave.

• Locked thread