Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Amethyst posted:

i saw him live a couple of years ago and you literally couldn't see him at all, he was behind video screens and for all i know it could have been one of his roadies

first half of the set was random lazy dj poo poo but the second half was really brutal and good

enmore? went to that one too, that was a loving weird-rear end thing

the camera + screens stuff they did was super neat, and yeah the end of the set was p fantastic. just rhythmic noise and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

whoa....

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

would listen to that

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

SAW 85-92 still the best release of his

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i'm listening to volume ii right now and i just made it to blue calx, thanks thread for reminding me of this very nice album. :)

it's good but man i get a little restless listening to it all in one sitting

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

btw anyone who doesnt like afx probaly likes pendulum or something

ugh pendulum

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

no you dont have to play propane nightmares im good

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I like Nine Inch Nails and all but most of Trent's influences are way better than he is

his soundtrack work is p great though

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

reminds me a lot of analords but more fully fleshed out

which is a great thing cause i liked analords despite its flaws (it should not have been a series of eps, one album of the best tracks would've been incredible)

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

which i guess is what chosen lords kinda was

but chosen lords didn't have vbs.redlof.b so gently caress that

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i really liked quaristice, felt a lot more 'fun' (as fun as cold computer tones can be) than their other albums

so it might be a good entry point?

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Autechre members Rob Brown and Sean Booth changed their approach for Quaristice, moving from a more deliberate studio process to a more spontaneous and "jam session" style of songwriting, approximately doubling the usual number of tracks per album to twenty.[2] Booth said in a March 2008 interview, "a lot of the album tracks are edited down jams, some of them hour long pieces we made in a day and then worked them down.... We’d have a fifteen minute jam, a ten or a seven minute and end up with a three or four minute track and we just kept them all."[2]

oh huh, that'd explain it

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

so what just sign up with a bunch of email addresses?

you have to buy the album to sign up so it's basically a lottery if you wanna spam it

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

wait no i didn't see the "alternatively" part im an idiot

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

COME ON YOU CUNTS LETS 'AVE SOME APHEX ACID

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

JumpinJackFlash posted:

lol googling "syro leak" is full of DMCA take down notices in the results

are they the dmca takedown notices that link to the content they're taking down

cause that's p lol

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

and yeah syro owns bones

XMAS_EVET10 is the loving greatest, and every track is solid at worst

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

is that like stuxnet

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

plus this album is apparently just stuff he made over the past 7 years

apparently now that his kids are a bit older he can actually dedicate studio time

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i know i'm mentioning a lot about originality in this album, but it's just sort of surprising to hear it in an aphex twin release. almost all artists though are obviously using sounds that other artists use. so even though this is a first for aphex twin, i think that i'm already used to it and very happy with what he had created. i wasn't sure if he'd actually release anything ever again since it's been so long. i'm excited to hear that he has a lot of material he's completed but hasn't released. i just hope he gets it out soon

it is worth noting that a large number of tracks on this album were created a long time ago and essentially compiled for this album. i wanna say minipops was 07, xmas_eve was 2010, aisatsana 2012? i think those were the biggest three unreleased 'recent' productions. they do sound cohesive and not just chucked together and released, but some of this stuff has been lingering around for a while which may contribute to this feeling.

now that his kids are a bit more grown up and he can actually have studio time, i am looking forward to what's next. it sounds like that was what was hindering him actually getting stuff made and completed

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

so this came out yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMK0prafzw0

and now my facebook feed is blowing up with :qq:s from aphex fans with no sense of irony

lol if u don't even notice RDJ in blackface in the video, some "fan"

hell, if they're fans they'd realise that rdj and die antwoord like each other and he probably gave them express permission to use ageispolis

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Amethyst posted:

die antwoord are cool

I dunno if rdj likes them though he doesn't seem to care about who samples his stuff he just sees it as easy money

when he did a bunch of remixes and even recorded a track for a NIN album, he publicly said he hadn't heard the album and isn't interested in hearing it

in the nmd afx thread (shut up) someone posted some photos of them hanging out back when they were doing australia in 2012

e:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i feel like they're the same kinda people

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i do miss when singles would pretty much always contain instrumentals