Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHmXtvbmE5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzeeV_Dl9gw

i love ya pewdz, but u cant match this swag ;(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
yogscast got half a million dollars in donations from gullible idiots and produced nothing

lol

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Liquid Penguins posted:

yogscast got half a million dollars in donations from gullible idiots and produced nothing

lol

actually, hater, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3CVIMHZytE

Soral
May 30, 2009

http://forums.yogscast.com/showthread.php?59407-The-Origin-of-the-name-Yogscast

SpacePineapple posted:

Hello, everyone.
I've been a yognaut for quite along time now, actually, and today, for the first time, I found myself puzzled as to the meaning of the name.
So Urban dictionary seemed to be fairly useless. It stated that yog was a slow jog. Or that it is some sort of sexual act - in Urban Dictionary basically everything is.
The answer I found was that YOGS is an observation of the guild Lewis and Simon were a part when they started off making WoW videos - "Ye Olde Goone Squade". Their first videos were indeed related to the guild, so it made sense. The site explains that by goons they mean the following definition from Urban Dictionary:
Members of the Something Awful Forums. They were named this after repeated verbal attacks on a website caused the owner to complain to Something Awful owner Lowtax about him and his "goons."
'Something Awful' was a forum, a long time ago (in internet terms) where, if to use the Wikipedia terminology, many internet memes were created. It was basically a site where the members ****ed around about everything, also about other sites which made the forum infamous for its rudeness and hostility.
Goons are also mentioned in the beginning of YoGPoD 22, in the use submitted song. "We used to be in a guild run by goons. We made videos about fights no one knows" (a reference to their early WoW videos)
It is unclear if Simon and Lewis were a part of this internet phenomena(or whether they were 'goons' themselves), but it is highly unlikely. The posts below say that Simon and Lewis have in fact been members of the Something Awful forum. So I'm guessing that's how they got into the YOGS guild.
So the channel was called the YOGSCast - The Cast of the Guild Ye Olde Goone Squade.
Then when they wanted to make a podcast, Simon first suggestion was YoGPod, a variation on yogscast. (The reason for the spelling is rather more obscure). The first YoGPods were still somewhat related to the guild as they were recorded on its Vent, which is why Yowie [citation needed] can be heard in the background.
Yognauts was then derived from YoGPod. A pod reminded Xephos of a space ship, and so whoever travelling in it had to be an astronaut, and from there YOGnaut.
Simon's suggested spelling was Yognaught (from naught, or nothing, zero). In YoGPod 26 a split was decided. He with Simon - a yognaught, and with Lewis - a yognaut.
The Yogscast still features others from the guild, eg. Sips, but it is no longer about the guild. Name stayed though.

Dr. Space Pineapple
Yogsologist
University of England!shire

lol

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Yogsologist

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

goon heritage respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

It is highly unlikely 2 nerdy dudes who play games for Youtube would in fact be a part of the forum they claim to come from. Oh poo poo they were?

• Locked thread