Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Has there been a spoiler of the first Saddlebag expansion like the base set spoiler that someone was kind enough to post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Quick rules question. I know you have to pay additional ghost rock for dudes with different affiliations than your faction card equal to their influence in the upkeep page. Do neutral characters count as a "different" affiliation thus requiring the extra payment or not? I can't seem to find a solid answer in the rule book but I may just be missing it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Radish posted:

Quick rules question. I know you have to pay additional ghost rock for dudes with different affiliations than your faction card equal to their influence in the upkeep page. Do neutral characters count as a "different" affiliation thus requiring the extra payment or not? I can't seem to find a solid answer in the rule book but I may just be missing it.

No. Neutral dudes have no affiliation.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ok cool thanks!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I finally got my hand on a core set and I was wondering how everyone stores their cards?

I prefer putting my LCGs in 9 card pages for organization. I was wondering how people found it working of organizing just by number or by organizing by suit.

Also do we have a date for New Town, New Rules?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I just sleeved all of them and put them back into the big box.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

omnibobb posted:

I finally got my hand on a core set and I was wondering how everyone stores their cards?

I prefer putting my LCGs in 9 card pages for organization. I was wondering how people found it working of organizing just by number or by organizing by suit.

Also do we have a date for New Town, New Rules?

Suit then Rank in a 9 page binder.

CSI has a date of Nov. 24th for NT:NR

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

omnibobb posted:

I'm still housing them in the wood deluxe set box.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
How many cores do you need for deckbuilding?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Zombie #246 posted:

How many cores do you need for deckbuilding?

Two. You're not *very* gimped by only having one. If you're building Sloane I think you could probably make a competitive deck with just a single core, maybe Morgan as well.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
The main time you are going to want that second core is when you are building around specific cards. 4th Ring hexes is pretty bad, as is anything based on Legendary Holster or Flamethrower.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

After playing the game a few times, both with one person and with a multiplayer game of four we are running into a problem that may just be an issue of using the starter decks. Typically it takes a while to get a deed so for the first few turns we either just have to pass and dump a card to draw one a bunch of times, or try and invade the one deed someone was able to play and it feels goofy. Do the starter deck lists just have a lower amount of deeds in them than they should due to having to share the card pool or is there a strategy we are just missing?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The starter decks are not great, because they try to build multiple decks out of a very limited card pool. Some a decent, like the Morgan one, but some are downright unusable, like the 4th Ring one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's good to know. Are there two decent decks that you can make with the starter box that don't step on each other's toes?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Radish posted:

That's good to know. Are there two decent decks that you can make with the starter box that don't step on each other's toes?

A Morgan 7s & 8s gadget deck and a Sloane legendary holster deck don't really want the same cards, so they coexist nicely.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

A Morgan 7s & 8s gadget deck and a Sloane legendary holster deck don't really want the same cards, so they coexist nicely.

Awesome thanks!

EDIT:

Threw these two together. I don't understand much about deck building so I'm focusing on three of a kind and full houses.

http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/198/half-of-starter-box-morgan
http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/197/half-of-starter-box-sloane

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 21, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
New Town New Rules is supposed to all be 4 of's right?

Edit: 3 dulf zugs

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

omnibobb posted:

New Town New Rules is supposed to all be 4 of's right?

Edit: 3 dulf zugs

Yeah, I think you were shorted a Dulf Zug.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, I think you were shorted a Dulf Zug.

I was upset at first cause some of the other cards were out of order so it looked like I had 3 additional sets that I only got 1 of. After getting it all sorted it just Zug that Im missing. I emailed customer service.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I just bought into this. Tell me: if I do not get a second core, how screwed am I?

With that answer, what are some popular builds now? I'm not trying to net deck to instant win or anything, but I want to see a good example of a solid deck and try that to see the components of the game. I like the look of Law Dogs, and non-Mad Science Morgan Cattle.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Feeple posted:

I just bought into this. Tell me: if I do not get a second core, how screwed am I?

With that answer, what are some popular builds now? I'm not trying to net deck to instant win or anything, but I want to see a good example of a solid deck and try that to see the components of the game. I like the look of Law Dogs, and non-Mad Science Morgan Cattle.

Dudes and Deeds seems to be the dominant archtype, and I am not sure the first saddlebag will change that.

You'll be fine with just 1 core set for awhile. If you want to start doing tournaments and competitive play, you'll want to get a second one at some point.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I guess I'm finally get to learn to play this game tonight in a newbie tournament. Can anyone recommend me a good deck made with 1 core and New Town, New Rules?

Edit: i guess a friend is coming and i need 2 decks now...

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 29, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
We came in 2nd and 3rd (of 4) and my homie decided he didn't really like the game (and I paid his entry) so I wound up with 2 deck tins, 8 alt art pistol whips, and 2 alt art Pony Expresses.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/12/03/double-dealin-preview-lula-morgan/

I like her.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Been trying to encorporate NTNR into my Morgan Deck, and nothing really seems to click. I might just scrap it for a Morgan Hex deck, but I dunno if that's all that viable yet.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

New Law Dog from the next expansion.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

One of my favorite cards from the CCG will be in Double Dealin'.

(sort of)

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 14, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oh wow, that grifter ability.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Oh wow, that grifter ability.

Yeah, it's a real toss up. I think Moone and Gina, but I think for decks that want a certain type of card right away (like 4th Ring and spells), Travis is the stronger.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I still have no idea how to build a deck in this after multiple play throughs. Should I be focusing on the poker value, or the deck contents? How many characters of the same type should I have? Is it a mistake to take 4 of the same card in this since they can end up in boot hill? Ahguhghh

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zombie #246 posted:

I still have no idea how to build a deck in this after multiple play throughs. Should I be focusing on the poker value, or the deck contents? How many characters of the same type should I have? Is it a mistake to take 4 of the same card in this since they can end up in boot hill? Ahguhghh

There's a lot of good articles around about deckbuilding for Doomtown.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/new-town-new-rules-deck-construction-shootouts/

Short rule of thumb: Come up with a theme, tailor the values you put in your deck to it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This is the deck I'm playing. Just got in NTNR. This is my first built deck with DTR, we've mostly been using the prebuilts. DoomtownDB is having issues which is why it's not linked.

Morgan Lucky 7s, 8s,9s Deck

Morgan Cattle Co.

Starting with 1 wealth, 2 income and 5 influence
52 cards with printed value (required 52)
Cards up to New Town, New Rules

♠ Spades (* starting posse) (15)
1x A Irving Patterson
1x 2 Kyle Wagner
2x 7 James Ghetty
2x 7 Androcles Brocklehurst
1x 8 Jon Longstride
3x 8 Steven Wiles
4x 9 Jarrett Blake
1x J Rémy Lapointe

♣ Clubs (12)
1x 7 Kidnappin'
3x 7 Pinned Down
4x 8 Rumors
4x 9 Cheatin' Varmint

♦ Diamonds (14)
4x 6 The R&D Ranch
3x 7 Blake Ranch
1x 7 Cattle Market
4x 8 Circle M Ranch
2x Q The Pharmacy

♥ Hearts (11)
4x 7 Pinto
4x 8 Flame-Thrower
3x 9 Mechanical Horse

Joker x2

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

What reasons would someone have to not include jokers in their decks?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zombie #246 posted:

What reasons would someone have to not include jokers in their decks?

They're dead cards outside of draw hands. So if you draw one into your play hand you could have drawn a usable card instead.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jokers always seemed useful enough for me to put them in.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Jokers always seemed useful enough for me to put them in.

Rule clarification, you actually do this as a shoutout action, not as part of forming a posse?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Rule clarification, you actually do this as a shoutout action, not as part of forming a posse?

Correct.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
They better add an useable spade 10 for Sloane Gang, so I can finally make bicycle decks! :argh:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Wow that seems really powerful

• Locked thread