Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do Outfits count as Deeds for purposes of blocking production or action cards like Extortion? I'm imagining not but want to make certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

No, and under the old rules I don't even remember if your outfit even counted as a card, not sure about now.

So aside from being able to call people out there's no real advantage to moving into your opponent's home?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone have resources for making pairs-o-decks out of two cores?

The beginner decks are nice but nothing amazing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zombie #246 posted:

What reasons would someone have to not include jokers in their decks?

They're dead cards outside of draw hands. So if you draw one into your play hand you could have drawn a usable card instead.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Jokers always seemed useful enough for me to put them in.

Rule clarification, you actually do this as a shoutout action, not as part of forming a posse?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zombie #246 posted:

Wow that seems really powerful

Well, the best hand you're likely to end up with is trips and it only triggers off an opponent's cheating hand it's definitely moderate. Great to win lowball though.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Welp, here's to another FFG core set.

Doomtown is by AEG.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
That's a whole lot of upkeep.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
AEG not handling PR in an efficient, mindful way?

That is a very meta April Fool's joke.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a concise summary of the plot of the original game somewhere? I've tried searching for it a few times, but since most of the discussion for the game was from fifteen years ago, it's a bit jumbled.

Someone might have done a writeup in the FATAL & Friends thread. Someone started it at least.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Did the artist try to make an action blur of a levered shotgun like it was a breach barrel?

I'm totally lost on that artwork. Card seems okay.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I think you guys have a greatly exaggerated idea of what the AEG writing pool consists of.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

The full set is out! With Max Baine, it looks like a 10s and up deck might be worth building. It has built in protection from Shotguns, and the high values could be good with inventin' and spell castin'.

I'm also interested in clubless decks. There's a lot of powerful-looking effects, but I don't know how not running four of a suit would hurt draw structure.

You'll want to open the possibility of straight flushes if possible. Going from 16 to 12 of a rank is going to reduce 4-of-a-kind possibilities.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Having done warehousing and playtesting with AEG down in SoCal all I will say is that it continues to amaze me that they're still around. I'm happy, love Doomtown, and if L5R or 7th sea were made into FCGs I'd be ecstatic.

But both in warehousing and play testing I regularly would think "oh my god you're supposed to be adults."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

"Don't worry, we've noticed how dominant 4th Ring has become in the metagame."

[ONE EXPANSION LATER]

"Oh... well, we never said we'd actually take steps to do anything about it."

Did someone say Doji Saori?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Sounds like AEG still has no clue how to balance limited attachments. Phoenix always was either The Best Faction or The Worst, depending entirely on if they made broken cheap spells.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Hey now, you also had a nice run with ridiculously cheap dragons.

Oh no, I was over at Kuroiban advocating KB Dueling and then CraneKakita Dueling. Then Khol Wall's 7-Personality-Army. I dodged in between Phoenix's good periods.

I quit the playtest group when Shokusho no Oni (before its trait was emergency errata'd into an ability) and Hidden Catacombs was discovered to lead to reliable turn 2 wins. It was errata'd, but not until several high level playtesters swept Kotei's before reporting it to AEG.

PaybackJack posted:

Also the community is so...apologetic in general that it's not really worth my time. Actually I feel like a lot of the hardcore L5R players used to feel back in the day. There's little talk "at the top" outside the highly insular upper crust of players and everything beneath that gets mired in people defending the design team and bad cards because they like the theme rather than how the cards mechanically play so that discussion never goes anywhere.

You hit the nail on the head and I'm sorry to hear Doomtown is going down the same path. Outside of a few forums it was verboten to talk about bad design or techs that broke the 'purity' of the game. Even the SoCal scene, which was (and is I hear) notorious for being cutthroat really didn't talk too much. Ate a couple of temp bans on Kuroiban for daring to suggest things like "maybe... not run Scorpion if you're trying to win by enlightenment?"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
A lot of people who play card games are, to put it politely, very bad at at least one aspect of the game. Whether this is card evaluation, deck construction, actually-playing-the-loving-game, or meta analysis. They let the one time their garbage deck won against a Tier 1 deck influence their thoughts too much and walk away with a smugness that actually inhibits their ability to learn and grow as players.

Also, let's not pretend MtG is free of the same garbage online. Even the MTG megathread here is, to put it mildly, incredibly loving bad at predicting card values during preview season.

But even the worst of the MtG idiocy barely scratched the surface of the AEG hugathon. Telling a faction player (a ludicrous concept in it's own right) that maybe their faction isn't the best choice for what they're trying to do? You might as well have shot their dog.

Edit: To clarify, a faction player in a CCG does make a smidge of sense. You are unlikely to have access to the entire cardpool at any one time, so you naturally will want to branch off of the faction which you have a lot of. Hell, in a game where you might not even have the stronghold (L5R's Outfits) without buying another product it can make sense. I'm referring more to the guys who get their clan mons/faction symbols TATTOOED ON THEIR FLABBY rear end BICEP AND BRAG ABOUT HOW THEY WILL NEVER PLAY ANYTHING BUT THAT FACTION WHAT THE EVERLOVING gently caress?

Sorry, sorry flashbacks.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 18, 2015

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Single Tight Female posted:

Fair enough. I feel like I still just don't understand what exactly is a cost in this game :(

That's okay, AEG has a loose relationship with templating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Spookyelectric posted:

Just got all my Doomtown stuff from the Koku deal AEG offered to all the L5R players. I guess I should make a deck or something...

I used to play this game waaaay back when. Usually it was Law Dogs. Are they good?

Someone got what they ordered with Koku? It's a miracle!

• Locked thread