Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I wonder if they are going to do Shamans as good guys again. The Coyote Confederation would be a cool faction to have in the game.

As far as the Whateleys... they met a rather bad end that's revealed in one of the Deadlands adventure books.

The remnants of the family are slowly turning into slug people.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

This is the single best thing I've learned today. Nicodemus Whateley was, I think, the only member of the family to be left alive after the Knicknevin fight, so I am honor-bound to continue shipping him and Pancho Castillo.

The metaplot in the splatbook The Black Circle had him gathering a large contingent of the family from the failed Ghost Creek disk wars game to support his 'rebellion.' Which book introduced the slug thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I'm surprised how many faces from the original CCG and Range Wars game are returning. Does anyone have a spoiler list of the current base set or first expansion?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Usually AEG is pretty smart about their art design on characters. A lot of the Scorpion chicks are dressed like whores because they whores. This was not the right call for this character. Implying that this chick got her money from being in a wealthy family and then seduced/married a rich man for more money is not a great call. I haven't read the fiction but hopefully she's going to be portrayed as a competent smart person as opposed to a gold digger that just seduces every problem she comes across.

If you'd excuse me, I'm about to sperg out a bit.

I don't know why I'm spoiliering the plot to a decade old splatbook and minis game, but Lillian Morgan is a holdover character from Range Wars: Ghost Creek, the old Diskwars spin-off for Deadlands, who got expanded upon in the splatbook 'Black Circle: Unholy Alliancce.' Lillian was a plant by Mina Devilin, owner of Black River railroad, to infiltrate Morgan Cattle Co. and ensure her rail lines had right of way through the town, and to stake claim on the abundance of mines located on Morgan land. She was also told to keep an eye on a local branch of Whateleys and have the means necessary to screw them over if necessary, as Black River was engaged in an uneasy conspiracy with the Whateleys at the time. Lillian took things a bit far and got married to Morgan's Founder, Nat Morgan. Morgan considered her a trophy wife, she considered him a walking money bag.

Then Lillian did the reasonable thing and secretly did some divination with entrails. First, she saw the conspiracy - and more importantly, the conspirators - in complete ruin. Second, she saw Morgan Cattle in complete ruin. This was bad. What's worse was a very hot-headed Nat was amassing a small private army of hired guns to deal with the claim-jumpers (The Confederate army, for example) pushing onto his land. She didn't want to be on the losing side and certainly didn't want to lose her grip on the bank account of one of the biggest companies in the country.

So she did something goddamed ridiculous. She murdered Nat Morgan in such a way that cast suspicion on the Whateleys, who were relatively restrained and in good standing with the public at the time, and arranged for documents that incriminated the Whateleys even further to fall into the hands of a gang of outlaw vigilantes. Not long after, the mines played out, the claim-jumpers left, and she was in control of a Fortune 500 company with a private army on retainer...

...Which she will be needing, since Black River is probably really pissed off right now and in dire need of money. Black River spent a fortune to be the first company to have a railway from Virginia to Lost Angels, California. The Wasatch Rail company got their first with the last big metaplot of the RPG, leaving Black River (and several other rail companies) in a very precarious situation.

As to why she's dressed like that, the reason is far more stupid. Pinnacle, the company who made Deadlands, really loving loves reusing art assets. As such, about half of the characters in Ghost Creek - Lil included - used artwork from their mid 90's RPG line. Lillian used the art for one of the generic Huckster portraits featuring a dance hall girl.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

I guess its good to know that being a gold digging seductive witch is part of her history? Thanks for the story lesson anyway.

I got my 6+1 premium on the boat; unfortunately getting them on the boat was almost as expensive as just getting them. Only well, I probably won't do business with that distributor again. Sometime next week I'll have to form a posse and play a few games.

Yeah, sorry for the plot-vomit. I should have just said she's a Crane or Scorpion clanner who was also a Spider Clan mole, but went rogue on the latter faction in the name of money. Crane Clan was the filthy rich clan, right?

But it bears repeating that the real reason she looks like that is that Pinnacle really loving loves to recycle art assets.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Question: Does the 'Abomination' keyword hold any new abilities or benefits, or is it just a big flashing target like it used to be in the original CCG?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Has there been a spoiler of the first Saddlebag expansion like the base set spoiler that someone was kind enough to post?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I opened the starter I got for Christmas today and had a few damaged cards. I emailed AEG, and they're on holiday until Monday. Does anyone have experience with AEG customer support they feel like sharing so I know what to expect?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

http://m.imgur.com/a/5oVOU

Full Election Day Slaughter spoilerses.

Sweet Jesus, Laughing Tom. :stonk:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

How will Experienced dudes work, for anyone who played the original game?

If I recall correctly, you could swap an Experienced Dude for an Inexperienced Dude (or vice versa) for free as a Noon Action. They also keep all the crap they have on them.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jedit posted:

Correct. You can swap a Dude for another Dude of the same name and different experience level without cost, the Dude retains all Goods, and the dude replaced is discarded. What I'm not sure about is whether the Dude will retain any temporary bonuses, like Control Points or modified Bullet Rating. They used to, but card memory no longer exists. Also I don't know whether the new Dude will come in booted or unbooted if the old Dude was booted.

I remember that it stays booted if it wasn't, but it doesn't boot an unbooted dude. I'm pretty sure everything stayed the same, and likely will with regards to bounties and control points.

Speaking of bounties, here's one card that those spoilers left out. We're still missing one drifter, by the by.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 30, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's pretty strong. 4th Ring already has great control, probably even more so than Sloane, and this extends that ability to monster decks. I can't wait to see the other outfit homes.

I'm really curious to see the Lawdog's new outfit; they've been stuck in 'Also Ran' territory without much direction since the (re)start.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Huh, she was hiding in Elijah's Parish, and Sloan stole the deed to the town of Soddum, the old staging ground for Reverend Grimme's only push into Gomorrah. Probably doesn't mean anything, but still...

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Here's the first miracle to be previewed, Holy Roller.

It's a bit more situational than the original due to wording. The bullet bonus is nice, but it doesn't protect against getting Shotgun'd or card effect acing like the previous version. Depending on your posse makeup, not being able to use the shooter as a casualty could screw you hard, too.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Office Sheep posted:

Yeah I figured it out since my post. The advantages are calling out while booted and calling someone out at their home.

Calling people out at their Home is a pretty nifty thing, does the outfit actually allow you to circumvent that rule?

Granted, this all hinges on how many skilled dudes Law Dogs get in this coming expansion, but no-boot callouts could be a pretty decent incentive in time.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

:stare: Holy fuckin' Moses, Sloan just got a second Steven Wiles that's DMH friendly. That's drat nice if you don't mind having an ace or four floating in your deck for checks.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

While I still think mulligans should have been a separate thing from being tied to a grifter ability, that's a great example of how the grifter ability should be. Sloane can definitely afford him to start with the number of cheap guys they have. Not really a good replacement for Steven Wiles as an 8 won't kill your pull values and has much better cards in value that A does, however she's definitely cheap enough that as an addition to Wiles or someone that buys you a sundown, she's awesome. The 4 draw is not pretty specific that it's not going to win you shootouts but you could lose her and use some cards that ace people with lower bullet ratings which is something we haven't seen a lot of use for given that it's kind of a pain to raise a bullet rating and comparatively easy to lower them.

When I said a second Steven Wiles, I'm talking about someone that plays like 'The Drifter' from the old game - a very nasty card with low recruit cost and high upkeep that serves as a very painful surprise whenever it shows up and leaves in a round or so. That it's the Ace to Steve's 8 is just gravy for pure aggression/no spells deck.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

That may be one of the cleverest uses of the new bounty system I've seen yet. Early Law Dogs aside, I'm impressed by how the homes so far have functioned while maintaining flavor.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Faith and Fear fully spoiled by a guy on the FB group who's store broke the street date apparently. Big huballoo about spoilers vs leaks and AEG closing and locking theads on their forums that talk about the cards not yet previewed. Seems stupid on their part to me, these things happen you just gotta roll with it rather than trying to contain it.

That said I'll spoiler the biggest story thing in the cards, which is pretty cool for people who played Classic

Nicodemus Whateley returns and is the new Mayor.

Whateley Estate - King of Diamonds, 4 Cost, 2 Control Points, No Income, "Dudes not controlled by this Deed's owner must boot after moving here. Controller Noon, Boot: Put a non-dude card from Boot Hill into your discard pile."(Recycle Jokers!!!)

They already killed him off in the (not very well written) RPG metaplot. April Fools?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

That settles it, I guess that's Nic then and now, then. An interesting set, as are the new 'Union' and 'Confederate' keywords. Morgan's new outfit isn't terribly awesome, but they weren't really hurting for something new anyway.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

He's one of the people responsible for bringing Knicknevin (one if the main devils of Doomtown) into reality. He killed Wendy's dad, and a few others. Him sailing in and becoming mayor (after paying Sloane's gang to pull off the Election Day Slaughter) is silly.

Did he actually pay off the Sloane gang? I'm also curious as to how he pulled off the mayoral win, like defaulting via majority property ownership or being the only one to vote for themselves after Rod and Wil got killed.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

As someone who was going to let the Mayor Nic thing slide, I gotta say that's getting a bit silly for my tastes.

Please tell me he gets eaten by carnivorous cattle, that'd just be swell. :allears:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I'm strongly dissatisfied about how heavily they nerf'd Jackalope Stampede. That poo poo was hilarious and a possible counter to Deed Avalanche decks.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Jackalope Stampede (and Flight of Angels, et all) were fixes for a very different game. Besides, easy permanent sniping has always been an issue for the game, and I'm not eager to see it come back.

Oh come on, there is nothing more entertaining than watching a deck centered on Cheatin' desperately praying for a Non-Cheatin' lowball hand while they're forced to discard every card on the board.

I know it's an entirely different metagame, but I'm still a bit grouchy that Deed-Rush is still a legitimate strategy.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Frontier Justice spoilers.
Liking the look of all the grifters for the different factions.

Shield of Faith was what I've been waiting for in a Miracle, Funtime Freddy is excellent for a hex-centric 4th Ring, and I think Marion Seville is the first card I'd really want to promote via Experience - and I really want a 'Francine' card now.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

The Sioux or some other group of Native Americans, that's cool. They were my first guess as to the next faction. Based on my assumed breakdown of the next deluxe I would guess that we aren't going to see Spirits for them just yet. I can't imagine them not giving them spirits as that was a pretty big part of their previous faction's repertoire. The other guess for factions would be the flock since going by the name of the title I would guess there's a group A vs group B theme in the cards, so the Flock representing western religion vs the Indians would make sense. As would some type of army or pioneer faction.

To bring some idle speculation to the thread, another faction of the Ghost Creek pogs game was a group called 'The Wretched.' The the same ghost rock groundwater contamination that created Morgan's mutated cattle also badly poisoned an travling acting troupe with similar problems - skin necrosis, open lesions, green/gray skin coloration and milky eyes, ect. After being run out of town by a lynch mob, they ran into a tribe of natives that Morgan had displaced and the two managed to survive a harsh winter together. They had an odd split between abominations, shamans, and impoverished guerrillas.

Or there's always Kang. China does have one of the earliest instances of an irresistable force paradox like the set title.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh man, the fiction. It's not very good this time around. It's all very amateur, with lots of "I'm afraid I must insist" type of dialog moments. Even the flavor text often lands without impact, and that poo poo should be easy.
Are they having L5R guys handle it? Because it seems like the current writers don't really have a grasp on Westerns as a genre. Or Horror, or Weird Fiction either.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh I'm well aware of where they've been pulling writers from. I'm on a different forum with two of them.

Mind sharing that forum? My curiosity has been piqued, and you don't have PMs so this is the only way to ask.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Here's a neat lil' econ booster that might just have the shittiest art in the game.
At least it's slightly western-ish, unlike the totally ":geno:" art on Consecration - which is still better than the inexplicable pink hair and neon blue shirt on Scoop Hound, but still. :smith:

At least Highbender's got decent art.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

The full set is out! With Max Baine, it looks like a 10s and up deck might be worth building. It has built in protection from Shotguns, and the high values could be good with inventin' and spell castin'.

Is there a spoiler image set out yet? I've grown to like getting to see what's in the pack before I buy.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

New fiction concerning Max and Morgan is up, Kyle Wagner is dead, and I'm ready for some Nightmare at Noon spoilers.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Had my Sheriff event out here in Taipei, went about as badly as it could go. Two of our regulars were out of town so I drafted two of my star wars regulars to fill some seats. Then the guy I'd gotten to judge no-showed and another guy decided he had better things to do, taking us from 6 with a judge to 5 with no judge, so I stepped out to judge leaving 4 players to compete for the sheriff stuff.

However my loss is your gain as I have 7 extra sets(one red one black) of Jokers. If anyone can't make it to a Sheriff event and wants them drop me an email: paybackjack@gmail.com

Email sent, I don't think there's any organized play here in central Arkansas at the moment.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Spoilers for Nightmare at Noon are out. There is one card that will probably need to get nerfed because it's drat good.

10C - Buried Treasure
Noon: Ace a card in your discard pile to gain 3 ghost rock and draw a card.

loving ridiculously good.

Mind sharing the link? I checked the database, but it's only got a third of the cards up.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Oh hell, Drew Beauman's up for the chopping block. That guy's a linchpin for Law Dog Gadget decks. Steve Wiles is also there, but I think it's safe to say nobody would vote to kill him off - the guy's too useful for every faction.

Also, thanks for all the spoilers! Digging the Eagle Wardens, kinda curious as to what they'll do with the 108 - both play style and storywise.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Steven Wiles got killed in the tournament.

:smugjones:

Please keep updating us on any casualties. Everyone's got a lot to lose with the exception of the 4th Ring, who's hit list is mostly crap with the exception of Smiling Tom and Dawn/Eve.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Angelica Espinosa Nooooooooooooooooooo!

What did you expect, she's holding her gun backwards in the card art. :v:

PaybackJack posted:

Ramiro Mendoza bites the dust too. Seems like if you have a good card they're gunning for you.

I'm actually pretty surprised with the power level of the people getting plugged. I figured people would be killing off low power/high cost chuff like Slade.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 1, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

The complete body count:

Elmore Rhine {LD}
Angelica Espinosa {SL} & Steven Wiles {DR} (both killed in a tie for Qualifier Round 2)
Ramiro Mendoza {DR}
Bobo {FR}
Andreas Andregg {LD}
Makaio Kaleo, Esq. {SL}
Arvid Mardh {MC}
Slade Lighbody {FR}

Silas Aims sheds a tear for the loss of Makaio. Sloane apparently took a nasty beating due to oversaturation. The final match was Fourth Ring v. Fourth Ring in a Paralysis/Pestilence Mark-off.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

We got two new pieces of fiction for Gencon that each have a bonus casualty not mentioned in the GenCon report.

First we have Morgan v. 4th Ring, which isn't as offensively bad as the Scoop Hound piece was. That's a good thing, right? Richard Slavin appears to have outlived his usefulness.

Second is Law Dogs v. Sloane, which makes Scoop Hound look incredibly competent by comparison. It's awful-bad. Sheriff Dave has been ventilated.

I got my Jokers in the mail the other day. Thanks again, Payback Jack!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem is that 4th Ring is too good, IMO. At least Alderac seems to be aware of it.

Speaking of which...

He's got a decent pull value and influence, and offers an interesting incentive for Oddities of Nature to try the Mystic Gadget angle and further embed their clown horde in the center of town. Now we just need something for him to build besides Devil-in-the-Boxes and Clown Carriages.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Holy Wheel Guns? Soul Cage isn't bad for getting Pags back.

Also I don't think 4R is the problem so much as Paralysis Mark and Blood Curse are really good. Puppet probably makes that list as well just given how high those decks pull.

I was going to say that Holy Wheel Guns were unique, but checked again to be sure; they're not! That's a solid choice for pumping GG or even Mr. Miss. However, Soul Cages are just Mystical goods. Dab's text says he can only trade Mystical Gadgets, which is (thankfully) limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Speaking of the 108, the next preview is up:

The bullets and influence are nice, but the ability seems to be a bit at odds with 108's action heavy deck economy. I could see him getting dipped by whichever faction gets deck manipulation/stacking, should that become a thing.

• Locked thread