Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
replacement for transistors so we can continue to advance computing power?
bread
MY BALLS
humAn bRaIn nEur0ns
michael jackson's soul
View Results

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the gap between the two pieces of silicon are like 50 atoms thick right now, and by 2025 we could get that down to 5 atoms if we can actually measure the voltage and avoid the increasing problem of quantum tunneling

the only other thing i can think of is qbits, but they aren't really a replacement for transistors, but more like a thing that can solve some problems way better than transistors. maybe we'll have combo chips that have both transistors and qbits, i dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
graphene

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
memristors

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks :)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

probably some kind of artificial neuron. transistors are pretty simplistic in comparison

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!
tiny elves, probably. like the ones that make cars go.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
firearms

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

bamboo and water im p sure its turing complete

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
14nm chips dont actually have 14nm features fyi

the entire half-pitch thing became marketing terminology back around 90nm iirc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

wanna build a turing complete computer that runs on crabs

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

wanna build a turing complete computer that runs on crabs

shave a circuit in ur pubes

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
physical switches connected to solenoids

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
dick

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

tubes are coming back in a big way!!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

cisistors?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Silver Alicorn posted:

carbon nanotubes are the poo poo, OP.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah its definetely small enough that you can fit a few on a board lol

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sharktopus posted:

bamboo and water im p sure its turing complete

good luck trying to get infinite water

edit: zen =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g83jazMRXFI

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 19, 2014

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

yeah a giant deer chaser network with some of them fixed to the same rod and the rod turning both in sync instead of the rod staying stationary was what i had in mind

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
you could make the water output at different flow rates for all the deer scares to "write" your program

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just because you don't have an infinitely long tape doesn't mean you can't make something that works like a turing machine

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

just because you don't have an infinitely long tape doesn't mean you can't make something that works like a turing machine

i don't know what this means but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iMI_uOM_fY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

slaves

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Silver Alicorn posted:

you're right you could have something act pretty much like a turing machine, but i think by definition it has infinite tape

(Turing 1948, p. 3) posted:

...an unlimited memory capacity obtained in the form of an infinite tape marked out into squares, on each of which a symbol could be printed. At any moment there is one symbol in the machine; it is called the scanned symbol. The machine can alter the scanned symbol and its behavior is in part determined by that symbol, but the symbols on the tape elsewhere do not affect the behavior of the machine. However, the tape can be moved back and forth through the machine, this being one of the elementary operations of the machine. Any symbol on the tape may therefore eventually have an innings.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
imagination

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

this is blowing my mind thank you

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

a block of concrete

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

i would love to see edible tablets that are like e-ink but made out of the same stuff as fruit roll-ups

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
weed

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

the gap between the two pieces of silicon are like 50 atoms thick right now, and by 2025 we could get that down to 5 atoms if we can actually measure the voltage and avoid the increasing problem of quantum tunneling

it's more than just tunneling, it's resistance going up (recall that r = rho*l / A). the problem is exacerbated by the fact that that copper interconnects (which we switched to because the resistivity of copper is much less than that of aluminum) poison the doping of silicon, so you have to coat them in a tantalum sheath to prevent that. the minimum thickness of the sheath that works is about 10 atoms, so until we find a material which can act as an effective diffusion barrier to copper with a thinner film than that or move on to non-copper interconnects we're not getting all that much smaller

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

confirmed that valeyard's dick is small and conductive enough to replace transistors

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

did anyone say cisistors yet?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

apparently yes welp I guess one of these days i'll actually read something here

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Jerry Cotton posted:

did anyone say cisistors yet?

did anyone say check your cisistor privilege yet because if not i'll toss that tired and unfunny joke out there for the pos to enjoy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

did anyone say check your cisistor privilege yet because if not i'll toss that tired and unfunny joke out there for the pos to enjoy

the only kind of joke tolerated in yospos

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i have a question how do ppl move atoms around?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

VERY CAREFULYL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Smythe posted:

i have a question how do ppl move atoms around?

little tweezers

• Locked thread