Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It only has 1 level but its a really really good level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Wonderful 101 is the best action game of all time
Well, its no Kid Icarus Uprising.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

Please quote some numbers you don't know are true and don't understand. Maybe we can turn this ship around. Maybe we can come up with a new name for the console?
The Good Games Machine?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

Video games are cool.
Please, this is the Wii U thread.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

It was news, and probably the most noteworthy of the past week until Ultiginio just posted that bit about the Hyrule Warriors updates in Japan.

Here's an article from 10 minutes ago where the boss of EU Ubisoft says that Super Smash Bros could boost sales to the point that Ubisoft will be happy.

Do we just stop discussing Wii U news unless it's happy news?
No one cares, shut up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BFC posted:

I've been considering getting a Wii U for a long time, which I eventually will because the ps4 is going to be a slow burn, and every time I mention that to my family I have to re-explain that the Wii is outmoded and that it would be super nice for Netflix because the gamepad is basically a tablet. Every single time.

They get excited but promptly forget it exists.
Don't buy a game console for Netflix when things like Chromecast exist for 30 bucks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

Just shove the entire library on there. While you're at it: Mario Sunshine HD.
But they're already making Splatoon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hell yes at everything about that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is that an Excitebike track in the lower left?
Or Stunt Race FX?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kinda surprised they aren't putting that in a direct tbh, it would be a good surprise, or did Nintendo UK gently caress up and post it too early?

Random Stranger posted:

It's definitely Excitebike. That's track two from the game.
I choose to live in a world where people acknowledge Stunt Race FX.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The price may very well be a placeholder, I wouldn't pin too much on it.
Its pretty consistent with what they did with Mario Golf, price/content ratio wise.

Nintendo is really good at DLC.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

What other DLC has Nintendo done, and has it been decent? I know of Luigi U and I think I heard New super mario bros 2 on the 3ds had some small dlc too.
They did a similar season pass thing with Mario Golf earlier this year which nearly doubled the amount of content in that game for $15. The Pikmin 3 DLC was very good, some people questioned the value of the NSMB2 and Fire Emblem DLC stuff but if you liked those games the DLC was a good excuse to play more of them. Heck Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was a free to play game built entirely around the concept of buying DLC and should have been the worst poo poo ever, but ended up being very well received.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference is the cards required an adapter that no-one bought. The Amiibo's work with the gamepad that is a part of every single WiiU console.
An adapter and if you were loading cards into Super Mario 3 or whatever instead of just playing the standalone ereader games, another GBA and a link cable. It was a real dumb system.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think maybe people should hold off seeing what the gently caress Amiibos actually do outside of Smash before deciding to buy $250 worth of plastic Mario men. That's just me, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I just want cool Nintendo figurines.
Figmas are cooler if you really want to decorate your house with video game characters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Biggest problem with the MH3U demo is that there's no progression. By the time you see those guys in the real game you've fought a lot of easier stuff and learned a lot about whatever weapon you're using and how monsters behave and react to getting hurt and how to fight things effectively, and probably already put some thought into upgrading your equipment. Just fighting those guys with none of the build up is kind of loving stupid in terms of presenting the game to new players. Even for MH pros its a lovely demo cause in the grand scheme of things those are some of the least fun monsters in the game.

If there's anything about that demo that appeals to you though then you'll love the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

I really liked fighting the bunny and quickly trying out the different weapon types on it and was sold on the game by the demo.
The bunny is dumb and youre dumb for liking it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

whaley posted:

Monster Hunter is probably pretty good if you can find an enormous amount of time to put into it. I couldn't ever get into it because the fighting seemed about as shallow as a puddle and it wanted me to spend a million hours running around looking for stuff and gathering stuff that appears randomly. I probably would have loved it when I was a teenager.
There's a couple of gathering quests they force you take at the beginning that are pretty lame for sure, but after the first hour they never make you do it again. Not really sure why you're saying the combat is shallow though, they're probably the deepest action games coming out right now that aren't made by Platinum.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

whaley posted:

It's been a while since I played my copy but doesn't it only have two attacks per weapon?
I can see how you'd think that, but most weapons have a half dozen on more moves depending on states or combos or whatever, it varies from weapon to weapon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

I pre-ordered the Villager and Kirby Amiibos because they are my friends
I want to upload my cute Animal Crosser and give them like 30 cute bucks for a cute custom amiibo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sonic CD is verifiably the first bad Sonic game. Evidence: they make you go left. Sonic Adventure 2D.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skyward Sword will be a New Wii U exclusive, sorry.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Moriatti posted:

You can solo it. Though if you have a buddy who will co-op, that's fun.

I wouldn't imagine fighting alongside some randos would be too great though.
Its fine up to HR, then you kinda have to watch out who you're playing with. Usually you can just look at their armor and figure out how garbage they are.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I'm against Mario having any kind of real voice acting ever since I heard that weird Gamestop pre-recorded call about Galaxy 2 I think it was?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Snprp2QOhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1t6iNG28zI

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Charles Martinet is the devil.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

I can't imagine you'll have fun soloing some of the bigger bosses, like g-rank Ala or Dire Miralis (because they have massive HP totals), but I happily soloed just about everything else. My friend swears by the MH community, though, and I had pretty good experiences playing with him and some randoms
Yeah I've honestly never had a negative experience just joining random lobbies in MH3 or 3U. People are nice and friendly and generally know what they're doing for the most part. Sometimes you run into some guy that does something idiotic and gets himself triple carted, but they usually apologize and everyone is gentle with them even if they immediately leave the lobby to find someone that doesn't suck.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

For some reason in the GBA SMB3 port they decided to give Mario a bit of dialogue whenever he got a power-up.

"YA-HOO JUST-WHAT I NEEDED"
The GBA was dark days for remakes, they did the same poo poo to Link to the Past and Yoshi's Island.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why would they advertise a product that won't even exist here for another 6 months? You people need to get over this name poo poo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I don't even know what you mean by this. Why wouldn't they start building hype for it?
Because they're still selling its predecessor and its almost Christmas? Are you retarded?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

After this shitstorm debate about which Zelda etc etc I went to Walmart and the fat lady with nicotine stained teeth who opened the locked cabinet thing to take it out for me (stocked right beside skyward) was like 'Oh yeah Zelda is a good game'. Hell yeah it is lady.
A more trustworthy opinion than most people's that post ITT.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A hundred boats slowly make their way towards Normandy's sandy shores, ready to unload their cargo of a thousand squid girls. The door falls open revealing the horrors of the battlefield as the music swells, then a sudden cut to black. The word Splatoon dramatically fades onto the screen.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I wish they'd put out dark souls on the Wii-U. Or the Witcher series.
There's always Monster Hunter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I played the demo actually - seems pretty DS-like.
If you came out of that demo with any kind of positivity you need to pick that game up, its a godawful demo that scares most people off because it just throws you into the middle of the game with no preparation. The entire game is nothing but those kind of boss fights you're talking about. Watching monsters and learning their behaviors, and then exploiting them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Even though Monster Hunter is the most mechanical game to play, I always thought the monster designs were really organic and natural and when you talk to people about them the discussion is always in quasi-biological terms. Like the kinds of environments that monsters prefer to be in, or what kinds of things they eat, or even like knowing that a monster has a really acute sense of hearing and might be stunned by loud noises or being aware that certain parts of a monster's body are more vulnerable or dangerous or whatever. Sure when you're playing you just reduce that stuff down to a flowchart in your head, but there's usually some kind of underlying logic.

I never read the Witcher books but playing the games kinda gave me that same vibe, and Witcher 3 is pretty much just gonna be eastern European Monster Hunter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What, why would it plug into the USB port? That's dumb.
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-GamePad-Face-Cover-Nintendo/dp/B009UONG1W/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also if you're not using the gamepad you can just go into the controller settings and turn the screen off.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The reticle is the tip of your arrow in your bow, and the feedback is watching the arrow's streak and it bounce off whatever you hit with a gigantic spark. Its pretty straightforward.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

I didn't have any coins come out of my account. It just said "Sorry" and kicked me back to the Kirby Super Star page.

Edit: I hope it's a temporary issue because I loved that game growing up.
The Kirby sale is in like 3 weeks anyway so you'll be able to get it for a couple bucks off if it was a true Club Nintendo fuckup.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm shocked. What a surprise!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Does Nintendo usually go to TGS?
Is that supposed to be TGS? They don't call it MH4 Ultimate over there.

• Locked thread