Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Toad rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

pokeyman posted:

I noticed that you can hit them with turnips and still do the challenge.

This was the next thing I was going to try. The tower at the end with the 3 ladders was going to be almost impossible to do without being seen that I was going to try turnips next.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Regy Rusty posted:

They've managed to stump me on Briny Bowl Swimming Hole. I can't find the gold mushroom!

I can't either!

E: found it

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 6, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finished Book 1 100%. What a joy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wii U General Discussion: Captain Toad Captain Toad Captain Toad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had to take a break to savor more toad. So far, only one "hard" level. Stupid raft level. I always end up getting hit while trying to get the last gem and end up missing both. :/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Captain Toad has hidden Marios/Luigis like SM3DW.

I found one in the Toadette cart level. Before you get on the cart, look at the top of the highest mountain.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So should I go around buying up Marf and the other stupid amiibos that no one wants to sell on ebay for inflated prices to idiots?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I'll be done w/ Toad by tomorrow. Very satisfying. Great game for playing in 30-60 minute chunks. Dunno how replayable it will be, though. :/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know I am getting near the end. So far I am 100% except for the cannon level where you can only hit 10 things. Gonna do that later. Right now I am on the haunted house with the one middle gem that is off to the side. After burning through 10 lives trying to get it, I put the controller down.

E: Well, just have that 10 blocks challenge and the last 3 levels. The coin challenges. Ugh. I was very thorough on the final level and finished with 163 coins. So I am guessing there is an area with 7 hidden coins and another hidden golden mushroom.

For the race level, if you push up against a wall, after a few seconds he will stop running and you can move ahead. At least there is a 1 up on that level, assuming you get to it. The rising lava level looks like something you just have to practice. Shouldn't be too hard.

The difficulty in this game really ramps up in the final few levels.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 7, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

greatn posted:

Spoilers

Just go over the level slowly and completely and you will find them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Toad Brigade Magikoopa Keep made me throw my controller. Haven't done that in a long time.

Pro-tip, go to the top and take out the magikoopas then backtrack. You'll save a LOT of grief.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Really not enjoying the challenges at the end of Toad. Are they even worth it? 5 mins to collect coins and climb a tower and then get randomly killed by turnips twice in a row.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ultigonio posted:

Go up without collecting any of your Toad entourage, defeat the magikoopas, then handle the rest from there. Also, don't forget the Golden Mushroom behind the second green pipe. I think that the level you unlock for completing every level and every challenge is arguably worth it. As difficult as it is, it's a great show of just how amazing the gamepad can be for gameplay elements, even though using the gamepad-specific elements in that level is entirely optional.

I've done that one and posted that same advice in the thread. I'm talking about the last level w/ the bird. I never got hit once until I started trying to do the coin challenge. I don't get it. I never got hit by those pea shooters dudes either until this challenge.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ultigonio posted:

Oh geez, yeah, sorry, I know exactly what you're talking about. I did exactly that, too - collected everything, got all the coins I needed, got to the boss, died like a moron - twice. I'll reiterate that it may still be worth your time for the level it unlocks, even though it's extremely frustrating to get to the end of one of the only levels that's so long it has a checkpoint, only to die.

Yeah. Especially to an easy boss that has a random mechanic. And it takes so loving long to get up there. So annoying. It's made me stop playing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Regy Rusty posted:

The final level of Captain Toad is the most difficult thing I've ever encountered in a Nintendo game. I thought it was bad before, but it just keeps ramping up even further. This is not the cute friendly game the rest of it was.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Great. :(

I'm still working on stupid challenges just to see the rest of the content. Let alone the gently caress you level.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So loving sick of Toad. I've never gone from loving a game so much to hating one like this.

It really does go from like 2 difficulty up to 8 and 9 and 10 with nothing in between.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Regy Rusty posted:

Really? I mean I sympathize, this last level is really tough. But it doesn't change how fantastic the rest of the game was, and I'm sure I'll feel great satisfaction once I've beaten it.

I'm not even on the last level. It's just that the game is so loving punishing on some of these last challenges. It's bad design, really. I know I could hammer these things out, but after a couple tries I am just pissed off and don't want to play any more. It's not that I can't do them as I have to do things perfectly and one mistake means starting over and that's not fun.

I would have given the game a 9/10. But now I am down to 8/10 and I might even lower my grade even more if it is as bad as you indicate.

E: Looking back, I haven't really had fun with the game since I "won." All this extra stuff just feels like work with no payoff.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 8, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quest For Glory II posted:

Please keep us up to date on your numeric score

Hey, I can whine all I want. I paid $10 for the right to be a big babby.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Regy Rusty posted:

:confused: What levels are you talking about then? The Mummy-Me's? They're hard sure but they're not that punishing. You always have room for at least one mistake and there's usually at least one mushroom to be found. The final level is hard just for how long it is, even its mechanics aren't all that bad.

I'm glad that they put in some super hard bonus stuff at the end even if it's taking me forever to beat it. If you really don't find it fun you can just not do it.

The one that just pissed me off was the bonus mummy level where you need 160 coins. I had 156, I am running up to the platform, staying ahead of the mummy, I get under the awning and I turn the camera so I can see where I am going and not run off the edge and wham..right into the star. Level done...not enough coins. Just annoying. I'll get it next time but I don't even want to play now because that was so stupid,

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hedrigall posted:

Waltzing Along, I would have given you 7/10 as a forums poster. But now you are down to 6/10 and I might even lower my grade even more if you keep whining.

Well, I had sex with your wife!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I see some of you finished Toad. Does that include doing all 50 levels on the final level or just getting the 5000 coins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL0OZfc3wPY

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a question about the virtual console.

I am playing Earthbound and am using quick save slot to do saves.
If I play a 2nd game can I do the same thing or is it only one save slot for all games?

I don't want to test it in case it kills the first save.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool, thanks. I didn't think Nintendo would be that stupid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why would you spend full retail price on a digital good when you can get it for substantially less than retail physically? Especially when you would then have the option to resell later.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Because I'm lazy and don't value my money. It's the future, mannnnn.

:911:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bayonetta is $30. 2 is $50. Do you get both if you buy 2 on the eshop?

If you buy the disk version you can get it pretty easily, new, on ebay for between $40 and $50. I've seen it sell for under $30 new. And that comes with both games.

E: http://tinyurl.com/o6w5by7

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 28, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Seems like a good time to bring this up. I missed out on the entire era of the Wii (life got bad), and now with a Wii U I'm eager to play the best that its predecessor had. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, and Pikiman are all I've got for my list (I played Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword already). What else really made the Wii great?

Bowling.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mario Kart Wii is great. It gets a bad rap but it's 32 tracks are better than the 32 in MK8. Also wheelies. Maple Treeway >> anything in MK8.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Funky Kong.

:colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Housh posted:

My nephew bought me a Sonic. My first amiibo :3:

It's pretty sweet but I have no clue what to do with it outside of Smash. I want a Wario amiibo now.

You are hosed now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just started playing Bayonetta. Holy poo poo! Also, is it really mostly cutscenes? I don't mind but wow that first fight cut scene was out of control.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If the whole game was just cut scenes like that first one, I don't think I'd mind that much. But I'd probably get bored with it after a while. Who knows.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I just picked up Rayman Legends on the cheap thanks to those trailers in the eShop. I do not see it on the recommended games in the OP but all the reviews sound awesome. Here's to hoping I like it!

I have it on PS4 and play it for a few minutes at a time and then have to put it down because it's just so loving weird I need a break. But it's definitely fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Using items is definitely cheating. If you aren't playing with your toes, like a real monkey, you aren't playing the game as intended.

Cheater.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

He can kick a few Miis rear end at least.

(yes I know this list is meaningless since the meta is still too young)

What does S stand for? Is this just one persons opinion or something else?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

elf help book posted:

Are you new to video games?

Are you a human being who can't answer a simple question?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dolphin shoals is the worst track. Only good bit is the sax solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd always had problems with my wii u pro controller that I purchased from ebay. Popped the back off to look at the battery and it looked odd. After a bit of investigation I am pretty sure I have a very well done counterfeit. So I guess I will buy one from a more reputable vendor this time.

• Locked thread