Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Throw one of the Trauma Centers on that list, whichever you prefer.

straight jerkers posted:

Please bold and underline Sin & Punishment for being Extremely Awesome

And seconding this, that game deserves more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Serious answer? Because they're Japanese. No one in Japan cares about Microsoft's consoles, and Sony didn't have cross-game voice chat until the Vita either.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Is that an Excitebike track in the lower left?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

e: whoops wrong topic, ignore.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Touch the gamepad screen to open up a menu.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Exioce posted:

When you say the upscaling is great, is it an improvement on a Wii plugged into a HD TV via the fancy 5 pin cables?

I feel like I posted this quite a few times already, but:

There is no difference in the picture being rendered by the game. There is one difference though, which is the device that does the upscaling.

On the Wii, the console outputs a 480p picture (assuming you're using Component cables, which you should) to your TV, which then upscales it to your TV's native resolution (probably 1080p).

On the WiiU, the game gives the rendered 480p picture to the console, the console upscales it to the resolution you specified in the settings (probably 1080p), then outputs the upscaled picture to your TV to display.

So it depends mostly on your TV's scaler.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Let's Play Mega Man with the Treehouse.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The game looks so drat smooth, this looks like it runs even better than the 360 version of the first game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You download it from the eShop. It's not a physical disc -- though I think they announced that there's going to be one at some point.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAADcU5Qs5VwPmA
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAADYU2yaQgJ93A

High-res enough?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

greatn posted:

Really? Who cares? Here's how to make that video more palletable. Put your thumb over the upper left corner. There, frame rate problem fixed.

Well, to be fair, Youtube only does 30 FPS so that video is a flawed example. I'm sure the actual Digital Foundry article has a 60 FPS version where you can actually see how it looks when played on the console.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

More than that. No Home, no Select, no 2nd L, no clickable sticks. Plus we'd run into Nintendo's favorite dumb thing of mapping buttons by letter instead of position.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The WiiU Pro Controller absolutely uses Bluetooth. The gamepad uses some 5.4 GHz signal for the image, I'm not sure if it uses that same signal for input.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Hey, Kirby Golf owns, alright?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Macaluso posted:

if you have a 3DS get the 3DS version of DKCR instead, so you don't have to deal with the waggle controls for rolling and stuff.

I'm gonna counter this and say that the higher resolution and over double the framerate of the Wii version trump the 3DS version, even with the control issues.

Besides, you can easily run a homebrew patch to add Classic Controller support.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

HD signals no longer care about NTSC and PAL, not to mention that most European TVs support NTSC just fine.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN TO RUN? BAD DESIGN

I mean, he's not exactly wrong. You do want to run instead of walk 99% of the time, so why not just make it a Walk button instead?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

There's nothing stopping you from playing while charging.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm just curious, but is there a way to turn off the display on either the TV or the gamepad?

You can turn the Gamepad screen off by going Home -> Controller Settings and hitting the Turn Off Screen button there. Hitting any button on the Gamepad turns it back on though, so it's only useful if you're using a Wiimote or Pro Controller.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Doesn't every game ever have an "online interactions not rated by ESRB" disclaimer anyway?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I wasn't planning on buying them in the first place but thanks for not giving me any reason to, I guess?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

mabels big day posted:

From what I understand this is impossible, sadly.

Know what else was 'impossible'? Displaying Wii Mode on the gamepad.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I'm sure it would be possible to hack around the issue. Would probably be pretty difficult and the result would be quite ugly on the code side, and it certainly wouldn't be worth the time and effort, but not impossible.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Its me. Im the idiot nerd who is bad with finances.

Oh huh, is that how US WiiU box spines look? The European ones are much more blue.

Weird.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

They supposedly indicate the region this particular copy is intended to be sold in. They've had them since at least the SNES era.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Huh, you're right, they don't appear to be on N64 or GB/A boxes. They are on Gamecube ones though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Tyma posted:

He completely missed out the Wii Classic Controller, which is.. uh.. worrying, since I picked up 4 of them :{

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGulnBaefAw&t=80

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Do NOT download Wii U games to Flash Drives. EVER. The architecture of flash drive memory limits its read/write cycles and can cause serious issues for how the Wii U loads games.

If you have a dedicated external hard-drive, or more robust Solid-State drive, then downloading is Fine and Good. Occasional improvements in loading-time, the disc-read motor doesn't spin up (though the hard-drive motor isn't necessarily going to be quieter), and you don't have to worry about a disc.

Don't SSDs use the same hardware to store data (NAND) as flash drives? And the internal WiiU storage too, for that matter.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Is there anything in Active Downloads that might not show up under Data Management?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Who's that and why do we care?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You say that, but I've been running into space issues with the 8 GB WiiU just with game updates and DLC (and a few VC games but they don't add up to more than a gig), and that's only going to get worse as more games come out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Is there a way to use the GC controller via the USB adapter on Wii games that support it?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think you can draw on the pause screen in Smash.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

Just looked this up and hooooooly crap. They sound incredibly satisfying - better than anything in any modern fighter I can think of.

e: just got to a clip of the Metal Mario boss fight and I forgot how good his footsteps sound.

Looking it up, I think I actually prefer the international ultra-cartoony sound effects. Smash 64 has great sound design either way though, and surprisingly good original music.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

This is fairly unrelated but I kind of want someone to make a multiplayer metroidvania style game. Something like a + shaped world map, 4 players, the center is the "base" or start point or whatever. Sometimes you need the other players to advance to a certain point and find an upgrade for you and bring it back, etc. It would probably be infuriating with bad players but if everyone was on a similar level it could own.

Try Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, maybe?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

And you can't do that with SD cards because ???

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

jivjov posted:

Phone cameras these days are stupid-good.

Maybe stupid high-res but certainly not stupid good. Look how incredibly fuzzy that image is.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think at worst it'll get slightly under 20fps so it's not bad, I'm also a PC gamer but I could still deal with it. And lol at "Nintendo consoles" and "60+FPS," hardly anything until the Wii U ran at 60fps on Nintendo consoles when it came to 3D.

Mario games actually have a pretty good track record of running at 60 FPS, lots of Wii and GC first/second party games are 60. The N64 was the biggest outlier because barely anything ran at sensible framerates there. Zelda OoT runs at 20!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

SMG was the first 3D Mario game to run at 60 FPS, if I'm not mistaken. I believe it was mostly a given for SNES games to run at 60, though?

If we're just talking main Mario 3D platformers, sure. But including spinoffs:

60:
- Mario Galaxy 1/2
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- Mario Kart Wii
- Paper Mario TTYD
- Super Paper Mario
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii

30:
- Mario Sunshine
- Luigi's Mansion

Couldn't check Mario Golf/Tennis but from what I remember at least Tennis is 60 too.

And yeah, most NES and SNES stuff runs at 60, though will suffer slowdown with lots of sprites on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I'm pretty sure the digital deluxe promotion is worldwide, or at the very least NA/EU/JP/Australia. Have you tried logging in?

e: Euro site is here: https://p.nintendo.net/premium/

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 31, 2014

• Locked thread