Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
So why aren't there any DLC worlds for 3D World, anyway? I would totally drop :10bux: on another Star World or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ultigonio posted:

My favorite part about this was when people acted like this was some sort of "new low" for Nintendo.

What a special hobby we have.

It's maybe not a new low for Nintendo or anything, but it is kinda disappointing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Plague Knight is definitely the one with the most erratic attacks, though. That's why he's the coolest boss :3:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
100% Yoshi's Island is really terrible.

Just go watch a 100% speedrun of the game on Youtube, they are insanely technical.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Louisgod posted:

Wait, 100%ing Yoshi's Island is technical and difficult? When was that decided? Gamers these days.. buncha pussies..

No, I said the speed run is really technical. Just doing it isn't that hard. It's a pain in the rear end because of the red coins, imo. There's not a lot of rhyme or reason as to where they're all hidden.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

flare posted:

The top down shooter level of Super 3D World :3:

They repeat it in World Flower for some reason and it's pretty much the same level. :geno:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Asnorban posted:

The worst part about the Hyrule Warriors reviews are how much time the reviewer has spent in each one I've read seemingly shocked that it isn't a Zelda game or a perfect hybrid of Zelda gameplay and Dynasty Warriors gameplay. It's been pretty obvious from day one that this was, just like every other IP used for a Dynasty Warriors game, just a Zelda skin on DW gameplay.

You know what, though? That's a perfectly valid reason to give it a middling review because Musou gameplay is really dumb and bad.

Just because I'm going to buy it anyway, because that's exactly what I want and expect out of it, doesn't make it any better or excuse it for being dumb and bad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Anyone that wants to talk poo poo about the soundtrack that brought us Gusty Garden Galaxy can take a walk.

I know Nintendo's really milking the hell out that tune right now (since it ended up in MK8 and 3D World) but I don't care, because it's really great. :3:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

You really don't need to look at the gamepad to aim. Wind Waker HD does it and if you're playing on the TV, then you can't look at the gamepad because you'll be staring at a menu if you do. Gyroscopic aiming feels super natural and is way, way better than aiming with a stick.

Your mileage may vary. Gyro aiming does not click with me at all. It feels uncomfortable and I really struggle to get a level of precision that I can get with sticks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fremry posted:

Are any of the other Mega Man X games good? Mega Man X was so good, I've beaten it twice since I got it a week or so ago, and I'm hoping (but not expecting) that at least one of the other Mega Man X games is good.

X2 and X3 are both nearly as good as X.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Whoever decided that motion tilt controls should be in New Mario Bros Wii should be shot.

That is all.

World 7, Tower. Have to use the wonders of lovely tilt controls to navigate a hilariously slow platform vertically through a goddamn maze of bob omb cannons. The only level I superguided after losing a solid twenty lives on the section. And of course, there's a loving star coin right at the end that requires some superhuman finesse.

gently caress motion controls, again and again.

So glad to see the Wii U largely moving away from such gimmicky poo poo.

That is the one stage in NSMBW that I died on enough to get the super guide block to appear, because of that loving star coin.

It turns out that, even if you don't actually use the block, you disqualify yourself from getting all the save file stars if it shows up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zonekeeper posted:

They're a lot less stringent on the requirements in SM3DW (and I think NSMBU). You can "re-earn" your shiny stars if you use the block by going back and beating the level legit.

I have never used the super guide in any Mario game that has had them. :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can't just buy a new gamepad? What the hell? That's so bizarre. Nintendo is such a loving weird company.

Why isn't there a :nintendo: analogue to :dice: or something yet?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This is kind of a dumb question. I want to buy a computer monitor that I will use as my primary monitor (I have a two-monitor setup), but I also want to use it for my Wii U. Can I just get a monitor that has both DVI and HDMI inputs, plug the DVI into the computer and the HDMI into the Wii U? Would a monitor like this typically have an input switch like a TV would? My TV is usually in use by :siren:my girlfriend:siren: so I don't want to interrupt her with my gaming.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Re: monitor chat, I followed this thread's advice and picked up this monitor. It works fabulously! It's a much more convenient setup for the console than the TV was.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm going to revise my opinion of "Wii U games on my monitor" from fabulous to really excellent. The Wii U games look a lot better with me closer to the screen. Regular Wii games also look better with the smaller screen, because the up-scaling made the lack of anti-aliasing in games like Metroid Prime really stand out and look bad on my TV. I was able to stick the sensor bar to the top of the monitor and it works pretty well, but it's pretty clear you weren't meant to use it while so close to it. I could probably find a way to put it on the wall or something behind the monitor and that would work better.

Also props to Nintendo for making all the cables really long, because all of the hardware is actually sitting on a table several feet away from the monitor and everything reaches without any problem.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

homeless snail posted:

For Wii games you're better off just using Dolphin, if you can run it.

I'm not really a huge fan of emulation. I don't like tinkering with settings and configs and poo poo like that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You should get a Pro Controller. It's pretty much a ringer for the Xbox 360 controller, which is probably my favorite "normal" controller of all time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hyrule Warriors is super silly fun and I love it a lot. It's weird seeing anime boobs in a Zelda game though, but this version of Link as a mass-murdering warlord with insatiable bloodlust is pretty endearing.

e: Also the awful butt rock is just fantastic. What a great stupid bad game. (I've only played about half of one other Musou game before.)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 5, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

JordanKai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BapVf3fVN6Y

Captain Toad trailer. Toadette is a playable character! :dance:

Oh that looks super great! :3:

I hope they're still sticking to their lower price point (I think they were gunning for $40?) because paying the full price for that would be a little rough considering how simplistic the game looks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MaxDuo posted:

Captain Toad looks great. Great art, very cute game. But I really hope the puzzles ramp up a lot in difficulty pretty fast. Everything they've demoed so far seems super easy and straight forward, barely puzzling at all.

If it's consistent with other Mario games, it'll probably be mostly easy and then the optional levels will be utterly insanely difficult.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sunshine is the worst Mario game, eat it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

homeless snail posted:

Sunshine : Mario 64 :: 3D World : 3D Land

Sunshine was mechanically superior to 64 but had really lovely terrible awful level design. 3D World is mechanically more or less equal to 3D Land but the level design is about a million times better. So, not really.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's not how you spell Yoshi's Story.

Yoshi's Story isn't really bad, just easy. Super Princess Peach is real bad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I mean, I'm not going to buy Bayo 2 because of the oversexualization. It just makes me feel awkward. Maybe it's because I live in a house with non-gamers. Even the anime boobs in Hyrule Warriors kinda wigged me out a bit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Phantasium posted:

I watched my cousin play the demo of Bayo 2 in front of my Grandma.

I guarantee you're the only one that cares.

Probably, but it will still take me out of the game anyway. I'm not saying it looks like a bad game or anything.

Sex and sexiness in games is just generally handled very poorly, which I think is why it tends to bother me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm starting to think i want a Wii U.

Pre-owned games are cheap as dirt over here at the moment and it does have the best next-gen exclusives but the future of the console is murky as gently caress.

Recent releases like Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 don't really interest me because hack and slash bores the gently caress out of me after 5 minutes.

I'm conflicted as gently caress about this console.

Let's be clear here, the only reason to buy a Wii U is for exclusives. So if you go through all the Mario and Zelda games and stuff like that, and none of them really stand out to you as "I have to have this," don't buy the console.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fabulous Knight posted:

I'm in the same boat here. I really want to play 3D Land, NSMBU, MK8, WWHD, Tropical Freeze and Pikmin. At least. The problem is that Zelda U, Xenoblade X and the Toad game are pretty much the only upcoming games I'm interested in.

I'm not getting a Nintendo console for multiplatform games so the exclusives are all I really care about. I don't know if owning a console for ten games is worth it.

I've put quite a good amount of hours into 3D World and Hyrule Warriors. It's basically a companion console to me, though; most of my gaming time is spent playing PC games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nintendo consoles haven't been the go-to for quantity of quality releases since the Super NES anyway.

If you can only have one console, I would not buy a Wii U, but there are some very good games exclusive to the system, so I'd say it's a worthy buy if you have the cash and you're fine having only 8-10 games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Macaluso posted:

I wonder how Bowser runs his kingdom? I mean you'd think since he's the villain he'd be like a dictator but I think all his minions like working for him. They probably get good benefits.

He comes off like a dick but he's just a very stern ruler who expects results, but also rewards competence.

He seems like a loser but that's because you only see it from Mario's perspective. I bet he's pretty successful at running a kingdom overall.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
All I mean is I'd rather work for him than Ganon or Ridley.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ImpAtom posted:

Ganon's a great ruler as long as you're loyal to him.

If you play through Hyrule Warriors you'll learn that the Dorf is kind of an rear end in a top hat, really.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hyrule Warriors is not really a "good" game, exactly, but I have spent 75 hours playing that game because it's really fun and has an insane amount of content. That's just my two pennies.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Macaluso posted:

I'm fairly sure you can't do every dungeon in any order. I think like two of the dungeons require an item you don't get until you do a particular dungeon.

I assume this is referring to A Link Between Worlds.

In Hyrule, you have to do the Eastern Palace first, but then you can do the Tower of Hera or House of Gales in either order.

In Lorule, you can do any dungeon in any order except the Desert Palace, for which you need the Sand Rod from Thieves Hideout first.

eta: For anyone who hasn't played A Link Between Worlds yet, you really really should. I think it's the best Zelda ever.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kaubocks posted:

I've put 50 hours into Hyrule Warriors and I've still got a good chunk of content left to go and I haven't even gotten the DLC yet the game is crazy value jump on that deal.

also 3D World is good too I guess

The first DLC is crazy value too. I bought the season pass and it's already mostly paid for itself.

You should buy Hyrule Warriors because it's really fun and good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I am surprised to find out that anyone gives a hot gently caress about Rosalina in one way or another. It's another empty white girl who wears a crown, in a Mario game? What a weird concept.

But really she's like the only named character in a really good Mario game, I'm not surprised to find her in other Mario games.

(except for Captain Toad, who is the true MVP of Super Mario Galaxy)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The idea that Nintendo might be working on new hardware shouldn't be a revelation to anyone, because I'd expect there's always something being planned or prototyped or whatever you like at Nintendo HQ (or any other large electronics corporation, really).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The funny thing that everyone seems to overlook w/r/t the value of Smash 3DS is that it's portable. Like, having Smash in my pocket is pretty loving sweet. Yeah, it's not going to be quite the same experience as the WiiU version, but sitting in your dark bedroom and playing it on the 3DS is probably not the point.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

JordanKai posted:

Good news friends: The Mario Kart 8 DLC will have retro tracks that have already been used as retro tracks in previous games!

Bad news friends: The first one is Yoshi's Circuit :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg8RgXCcXnA

That's not Waluigi Pinball dang nabbit. :mad:

Yoshi's Circuit is pretty much the best of the generic "circuit" racing levels so that's okay by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Policenaut posted:

Still want Tingle and Groose before buying Hyrule Warriors.

You should just buy it, and then buy it again if/when Tingle and Groose make it into Hyrule Warriors because that game is MVP.

• Locked thread