Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There is a distinct lack of Punch Out or any of the Trauma Center games on that list. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

I went looking to buy Xenoblade to get ready for the upcoming with release and it's 60 dollars used? What the gently caress?

It got an extremely limited print run only at gamestop.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

I'll do both, since I never played either one. I'll also throw in Punch Out!!, Little King's Story, and The Last Story. It's likely that I'll be presenting all of these games in a tile format similar to the Wii U recommended.

...Which, again, means that I'm going to have to collect an absolutely massive amount of covers. If anyone has any ideas for how to make that task less horrifically tedious, I'd love to hear it.

Throw in Trauma Team as well, that's a fantastic Trauma Center game.

Also you should go play those ASAP, they're dirt cheap at gamestop. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CatsPajamas posted:

What would people think of editing the covers for sequels together, like one cover and then diagonal slicing to the other cover? I think it's a far bet if people are interested in Mario Galaxy they'd also want to check out Galaxy 2, and the same for De Blob and Pikmin. I think the Metroid Prime Trilogy could just count for Metroid Prime 3, though.

I think stylistically, it could work, but then you run the risk of covering up game titles so people who really don't know what a cover looks like will just see this weird, jarring transition.

Edit: I'm looking at that list and I think you could get away with dropping Metroid Prime 3 from it since you have the trilogy right next to it, and I'm just curious why NSMBWii and Brawl aren't on that list.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 20, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Like this, what the hell? First NMH is easily the better of the two.

If we're talking story, then yes, but the sequel soundly outdoes it in gameplay and presentation.

Surlaw posted:

All these lists are dumb just recommend Muscle March and who cares about the rest?

This is a good idea.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I dunno where the complaints about precision regarding Trauma Center Wii are, I felt more precise doing surgery in all three titles than I did in either of the DS ones. Hell, part of the reason I like the Wii ones more is because all of your tools are mapped to the stick instead of making you reach to one of the sides of the screen.

Also I was partly recommending Trauma Center because it's a game that shows off the Wiimote's functions and capabilities really well, just like how The World Ends With You is great for using like all of the DS's functions and features.

Edit: Also, for the guy who was disappointed that New Blood didn't come to DS, Under the Knife 2 had a lot of New Blood's operations, so you can go halfway there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Artix posted:

Uh, what? If anything, W101 is too long, some of the later stages could really have stood to be about half as long as they actually are. It would be a perfect 10-15 hour experience, but it goes on for 20+ on any difficulties above the absolute easiest.

Holy poo poo this is my main complaint with W101, each stage lasts foreeeeever.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

flare posted:

Finally got a charging cable for my gamepad after my cat chewed the last and picked up Deus Ex for $10. Game surprised me how well it ran. Had no idea publishers made the effort for the Wii U at all.

I still can't believe Nintendo is still using proprietary chargers.

I'm so used to the proprietary chargers that the fact that the Pro controller uses a mini-USB cable for charging threw me off.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why they decided that Crisis City, one of the most hated levels in Sonic '06, was something worth remembering is beyond me. The 3DS version was merely average, but at least it had a good selection of levels from past games.

It had a cool aesthetic, at least. That's the most I'll say about the original version. I think they chose the level based on a fan poll, so it may very well be a case where the level was really "popular" because of how hated it was.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I want to see Twilight Princess because I've been itching to replay it for some reason and I don't want to bother with waggle. I'd also be hyped if Viewtiful Joe or Metal Gear Solid hit eShop but those are probably pipe dreams.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

They could have been removed to quash the spread of false information.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You can't copy Brawl to an SD card without homebrewing your Wii because of stuff with online profiles. I don't think Brawl'd get transferred in Wii-Wii U but I could be wrong.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh my god that DLC looks absolutely amaziiiing why can't this year go faster???

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I like the idea but the execution of Vile mode kinda sucks. I honestly much preferred the remake of X to playing as Vile.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If you've never played Battle Network and want to try it, go for either 3 or 6, those are absolutely fantastic. If you want more, consider trying 2 or 5, they're not as great, but still pretty good. Don't play 1, it's really unpolished and is so barebones compared to the rest, avoid Battle Chip Challenge because it sucks and is even MORE barebones, and avoid 4 like the motherfucking plague because it's an abomination of horrid game design and lack of polish.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rirse posted:

Probably better for the eShop thread, but how are the GBA VC releases? I am thinking of grabbing Advance Wars.

They play beautifully and in addition to what Artix said, you can set your TV to scale your games perfectly instead of filling the screen and it's a lot nicer.

Actually, since it came up, why are the GBA games the only ones with screen filtering? I think filters are garbage, except for stuff like Vector Magic, buc it just seems weird that only one of the platforms emulated offers the feature to filter your games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, does a Wii U screen cover of some sort exist? Nothing permanent, but when I'm charging my gamepad and playing with my controller, the screen is distracting. Basically, something that plug into the top USB port (for support) and acts as a blind or cover or shield or something while the gamepad is sitting idle.

I don't know if one exists, and I'm a little doubtful, but why not just turn the gamepad away from you or put it face down?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

enojy posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny whether or not coin-based game purchases (i.e. Kirby for 200 coins netting ~79 points) count towards the Deluxe Digital Promotion?

Confirm.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

In shovel knight, is there any way to attack above you? I'm on the final level and there's an auto scrolling area but there's breakable blocks above me and I can't figure out any way to continue.

There's a subweapon from the underwater level that allows you to attack upwards.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kly posted:

Are you talking about when the gamepad is too far from the wiiu and it loses connection? That IS kind of annoying since my son cant play from his room but it works in our room because its right above the room with wii. The range on it is pretty good, but is blocked easily. It works just fine staying on the same floor as the wii in most of the house though.

The idea is so you can monitor what he's doing at all times to make sure he hasn't done anything you don't want him to. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Oh poo poo, can you? i missed out on a lot of Wii games but I enjoy the convenience of a gamepad too much. Do I ever need any controller other than a gamepad to just put a Wii disc in the WiiU, launch it, and play the game on the gamepad?

A Wiimote of some kind is needed to actually do anything in Wii mode. Gamepad controls won't do anything and trying to use them will just make a message pop up telling you that you can't use gamepad controls. Here's an example:

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 17, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

AAAAAGGGGH MY TABLES

Oh poo poo I forgot iPhone pictures are ginormous! My bad!

Katana Gomai posted:

Nice screenshot of a Gamecube ISO lol

I'm running that through Devolution which requires a legal copy of the game to even boot.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah the copy protection on that is really dumb but the compatibility is way better than the bootloader that doesn't have any anti-piracy and it also lets me use a PS3 or Wii U Pro Controller over bluetooth instead of only letting me use a PS3 controller over a wired connection.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

whaley posted:

Actually Wonderful 101 has a five player co-op mode

For clarification, it's more of a mission mode separate from the main campaign and it's co-op in the same way NSMB is in that you have the option to totally dick over your allies and steal all of their Wonderful Ones.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I know, but Team Ninja was responsible for how lovely the gameplay was in Other M so they can share the blame for everything else in it.

Wasn't a good chunk of that (like Wiimote with no extensions for the only control method) at his demand?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fremry posted:

Gyro aiming works surprisingly well, but I have a 46" plasma TV, and I'd rather have my attention on that in fantastic HD than the not-HD 6" screen with wildly inaccurate colors. It's great as an alternative when someone wants to watch TV, and it's great for little bits here and there, but I bought my TV for a reason.

You really don't need to look at the gamepad to aim. Wind Waker HD does it and if you're playing on the TV, then you can't look at the gamepad because you'll be staring at a menu if you do. Gyroscopic aiming feels super natural and is way, way better than aiming with a stick.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ness is also supposed to be a secret character, technically, so I doubt they'd just reveal him so unceremoniously via sale.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

You should try unpacking quicker. My record is at least 29 days faster than yours.

Maybe they won't have internet at their new place for a month.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Guys, me not liking W101 is nothing new. We've been over this and I've been lambasted about it already. I will (and have) openly admit that I do not find the game enjoyable. I literally just asked out of curiosity if there was possibly a reason why the eShop roulette seemed to think I still have the W101 demo when I deleted it already. I even said it was a dumb question when I originally asked about it.

Now if we could focus on an actual problem like my external hard drive not working with my Wii U, that'd be cooler.

The eShop roulette probably picks games based on your purchase history so I doubt the W101 demo's going to be leaving that roulette anytime soon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Notinghamington posted:

gently caress! Kamiya does not play around!

This is par the standard for Kamiya. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

So as someone who really likes Rondo of Blood (both the original and the PSP remake) and considers it one of my favorite Castlevania games, I've actually never played or seen anything concerning Dracula X.

What's the deal with that? What makes it such a bad port, in everyone's opinion?

The level design is sub par, you can't play as Maria, there's only like 2 alternate stages and the final battle has a bullshit arena.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

Still, if you just want to play it this is a much better legal option than buying the cartridge.

It's not a good substitute for Rondo at all though. As its own thing, it's alright (and it has a better version of Bloody Tears), but in comparison to Rondo, it just falls kind of flat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Get Fortune Street instead because it doesn't take a million years to play.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Exioce posted:

If I get the GC controller, I can just plug it directly into my old Wii though, right?

Yup, it's just a rebranded, new make of old GC controllers. You'd be able to use it with your GameCube too, if you had one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

You could... always get a Classic Controller?

Those are out of print and are like $40 now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Those look like knockoffs that may or may not work.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh, I thought the oldschool wii classic controller was not compatible with the Wii U? Or is it just certain games then?

It varies from game to game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One word; Tabuu.

Telegraphs everything and his Red Rings of Death are easily dodged with sidestepping. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Try telling that to Germany.

What the hell that's totally :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What is the point of even having limited wallet space anyway. Pokemon had limited bag space for years and then it dropped that because there was no drat good reason to restrict how many things you could carry on you at once. Why can't Zelda follow their example?

• Locked thread