Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I've got a DK tropical freeze question.

So I was playing through the game grabbing all the KONG letters and doing the temples. This was doable, with some frustration up until world 5, but I got to a really annoying letter that required a specific partner with no advance warning and I just got frustrated and haven't played since. Should I go back to it? I was really enjoying the game up until that point but I don't know, it just felt really frustrating even though now that I think back on it they pulled that same trick earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Yes go back and play through it to the end then go back and get frustrated at collectables stuff. Some secret exits require Dixie. Are you sure the letter required a certain character though? I don't remember any kong letter or puzzle pieces that required that, but I know some you have to do that roll off the edge then jump move that is terrifying to do every time

I'm pretty sure this one requires Dixie. From what I remember it was a right below one of those platforms you can pass through (over a bottomless pit, of course), and it looked like the only way to get it was to grab it from below and then double jump. I just saw it and got so mad I didn't even bother to check gamefaqs, which I usually only do if I can't figure out how to grab something after a few runs of a level.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Monster Hunter, WWHD, and Wonderful 101 are all great choices. Monster Hunter and Wonderful 101 are very much acquired tastes in that they fill pretty specific niches, and that they have pretty lame demos. I'm a huge fan of them though, and got tons of hours of gameplay out of them.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I actually like what I've played of the NSMB series (everything except 2 :v:) with one major exception: the DS one. It just feels so bland compared to the Wii version. NSMBU is the best in the series without a doubt, but I think the Wii version is a good second.

The series is definitely about very small incremental improvements to the same formula, though. I can't fault anyone who is tired of it by now.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Alright, so there have been a few things bothering me recently, and I want to know if I'm the only one who feels this way.

First up is Mario Kart 8. I really like this game, but the graphics just feel... off. I don't really know how else to describe it. They just feel offputting when compared to the other Wii U games I've played. It's not ugly or anything, and it runs well, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

On a similar note, Donkey Kong Country Returns. The art style in that game feels "dirty", for lack of a better term, whereas pretty much every other Nintendo game I've played felt "clean". Like with Mario Kart, the graphics aren't bad at all. It's just something about how the characters and backgrounds look that gets to me. Weirdly enough, I don't notice any of that "dirtiness" in Tropical Freeze.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just insane. I've heard some people talk about the first one, but nobody else mention the second.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Hello. IT's me. Miyamoto. I am here to discuss the Wii you.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

So I was getting frustrated at trying to 3 star 150cc cups in MK8. I swear, I'm always doing fine for a few tracks and then I'll get like 5 feet from the finish line and be hit by 5 blue shells or other bullshit. Anyway, I took the opportunity to start a Hero mode playthrough of Wind Waker HD. I don't think this was a good idea as it just seems even more frustrating without actually being difficult, but I've barely started. No recovery hearts ever is pretty drat steep.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I'm interested in Hyrule Warriors, but I'm not sure if I should pick it up at launch since I'll definitely still be busy with Destiny (and MK8 and finishing up Pikmin 3). Is there any reason to pick it up sooner rather than later?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

whaley posted:

It's been a while since I played my copy but doesn't it only have two attacks per weapon?

No, not remotely. I'm not intimately familiar with every weapon but there are a good number of basic attacks for each weapon and tons of ways to chain them together, as well as a specific gimmick for each weapon type. Monster Hunter is not a shallow game, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. It has a slower, more methodical pace to combat which some people find boring.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Not Eek posted:

Oh for real? I just kinda assumed it was like Dark Souls where online features were a constant, integral part of the game.

I can't imagine you'll have fun soloing some of the bigger bosses, like g-rank Ala or Dire Miralis (because they have massive HP totals), but I happily soloed just about everything else. My friend swears by the MH community, though, and I had pretty good experiences playing with him and some randoms

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Fremry posted:

So, I am ignorant of these games and have watched some people play but can't get a grasp for it. If you were to sit down and play for 2 hours, how does it work? Like, are there missions, or are you just fighting whatever monsters you can find randomly?

There are hunts. You get quests to hunt a specific monster (or monsters), or to collect specific items. In 3U they added a mode where you can just explore one of the environments to collect materials (you could already do this via quests), but some monsters will also show up.

Anyway, my advice for monster hunter is to not feel limited to a specific weapon type. It's good to pick one to focus on at the start, but once you feel comfortable start branching out. Certain fights will be easier for certain weapons, and pretty much every single weapon is useful for something.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

They named the third 3ds the 3ds One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

That's a pretty good description of Monster Hunter. You prepare for each fight, and then go kill the monster (or capture it) and make it's armor/weapons. It's an acquired taste but it's awesome. Plus you get all kinds of great art. The monsters, weapons, armor, and environments are all very well done.

Someone mentioned earlier that Monster Hunter sounds like Dark Souls, but I don't exactly agree. They're similar, but I enjoy Monster Hunter way more than the Souls games. Oh, and MH came first, so if anything the Souls games are like MH :)

• Locked thread