Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Thanks for putting this together Ultigonio. Annoying to hear that developers are all talking about how they do not plan to make things for the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Any ideas on how big Captain Toad's gonna be? I remember hearing a few people say it was only going to be like... 20 levels long and that seems absurdly short.

I may be wrong, but I remember hearing 100.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Natron posted:

Can we stop pretending that any games are "mature"? Just because a game has violence and blood and your character is a big macho dude with issues doesn't make something mature. It's basically the equivalent of playing GI Joes on your driveway, it's just far more sophisticated and expensive.

Edit: Sorry, I'm quite late to the party here, but I was referencing Ubisoft's decision to not publish any more "mature" games on WiiU.

I believe he was using the term "Mature" in the way that the ESRB uses it. He means "mature content", not "sophisticated".

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yes you do. Don't let OP bias get in the way of listing all the worth playing Wii games.

Personally speaking, this is a Wii U thread, and I'd hate to come in and see 1/2 of the OP be Wii games. Also, if you didn't play the Wii, it's very daunting to have a wall of "recommended" games. When you ask for recommendations, it's usually because you are having a hard time sifting through the massive number of games on the system. Putting a massive number of games in the OP pretty much negates any benefit of narrowing down the games in the first place.

And we know how Nintendo fans are. Just because it's your favorite game in the world does not mean it's a generally well received game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

That would reduce the Wii-U games to maybe 2 or 3.

I disagree, the only ones on the Wii U list that could be excised for not being extremely well received is ZombiU and Wonderful 101. However, because there are so few games on the system right now and they have been generally well received both by people here and critics, I think it's no issue to keep them.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Also a lengthy list is handy for answering "I saw this game used for $10, is it worth getting" with a quick ctrl-f.

People are still going to come in and ask that question.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

axleblaze posted:

I think part of the problem with mentioning what Wii games are worth playing is the Wii was a system that, like most Nintendo post SNES home consoles, were system that had a handful of really great games and then a bunch of okay games that the base told themselves were actually really good because they didn't have all that much else between the really good games. I'm not saying that the Wii didn't have some really amazing games and I'm not saying there aren't some hidden gems, but I've been burned so many times by playing a game that was hyped as being amazing when it really was just okay for a system that had no other similar options.

Same thing happens to me on a regular basis because I absolutely do not like turn based RPGs. I also don't like RTS games, but I bought Pikmin 3 because it's a pretty game and I got it really cheap. I'm expecting to not like it, but I knew that before I bought it.

Like, people absolutely LOVE Fire Emblem, but as someone who doesn't like strategy and turn based, Radiant Dawn is like my version of video game purgatory.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Shelf Adventure posted:

Why would you do this? :confused:

Cheap is cheap, but if you don't think you'll like it just spend your money and time on something else.

It's kinda like going back to a food you didn't like when you were younger. I'm hoping I'll be surprised and have a good time with it. What's life if you don't try to change it up every now and again?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I was already planning on getting Bayonetta 2, but this totally cements it. I didn't realize they were going with a Belgium/Italy influence for the location. That church picture looks awesome.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

13/f/cali posted:

Sounds like it'll be fine then, I wasn't sure if that was likely standard or possibly a matter of error. Good enough for me to just know that that happens.

Yeah, that's normal, my Wii U shipped, I have it and having been playing it for around 2 months and store.nintendo still says my order is processing.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

I certainly think you need some kind of single player narrative driven component, but I'm a weirdo who barely plays online multiplayer at all.

Yeah, I'm the same way. Splatoon is not going to be on my list of games to get.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wanna know why people are going apeshit over Spaghetti-O cans just because they have Nintendo characters on them. People are hoarding them thinking they'll be worth something in years to come(well outside of the obvious lets eat a 20 year old can of spaghetti to see what happens)

I wouldn't eat a can of spaghettios that came off of the factory belt.

Edit: Beefaroni on the other hand...

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

It did say a Mario 64/Banjo Kazooie, which admittedly is a genre that is lacking games.

But that's not what they were giong for. I never understand this kind of criticism. "I wish it was *insert something COMPLETELY different*".

Like, if you watch Chopped on the Food Network, when it gets to the dessert round and Amanda Freitag is a a judge, she always says something like "I was hoping for chocolate," when the person made, let's say, a passionfruit creme-brulee. It's like "I made a loving passionfruit creme-brulee, I had no plan at any point to use chocolate, why are you faulting me for not using chocolate?"

I can guarantee that that game came into being because they wanted to make a fun online competitive shooter. That's the starting point and the rest of the game comes from it. It's not a legitimate criticism to say "I wish it was a platformer," when they only reason the game exists in the first place was because they had the idea to make an online competitive shooter.

That's a really cool car you made, Ferrari, but I wish it was a vaccuum.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
eShop update:

Joystiq posted:

Wii U

•Disney Infinity (Disney Interactive, up to 4 players, free download)
•Mega Man VI (Capcom, 1 player, $5)
•Life Force (Konami, 2 players simultaneous, $5)
•Midtown Crazy Race (Jose Varela, 1 player, $5)

3DS

•XtremeSports (WayForward, 1 player, $5)
•Blazblue Clone Phantasma (Arc System Works, 1 player, $6)
•Demon King Box (Circle Ent, 1 player, $4)

Also, an eShop sale:

businesswire.com posted:

- Abyss is 25 percent off (reduced from $1.99 to $1.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 10 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Chasing Aurora is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Nano Assault Neo is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Boulder Dash-XL 3D is 66 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $1.69) until 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 27 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- European Conqueror 3D is 30 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $2.79) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 4 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Aeternoblade is reduced from $14.99 to $9.99 until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 7 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Nano Assault Ex is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Quell Reflect is 30 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $2.79) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Aqua Moto Racing is 25 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $5.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 18 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Edit: Made more readable.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 21, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

That's very likely not going to be the case. Besides that, what on earth makes you think that they'd aim for non-linear level design for Wario if they wouldn't do it for Mario? Did you play the last few Wario games?

When did they say this?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Akuma posted:

It feels like I've been bullshitted, but at the same time why would they do that, and how would the processes allow that? But on the other hand, how is it possible that a fairly unambiguous problem of every disc coming up as invalid not be reproducible? This time I've sent one of my games with it, but that still feels pointless.

I just want to play some sweet Nintendo games :(

I've got big reservations about the people who work in the background there. I ordered 2 refurbished Wiimotes with nunchucks, and they took 3 weeks to ship including 2 weeks that they were in "picking" status. The customer service people kept saying "It makes no sense that it's in picking status and hasn't gone out yet," while the warehouse people gave no update, despite repeated tickets opened trying to find out what was going on with my order.

It's like everyone in customer service bends over backwards to help you, while the warehouse/refurb people stonewall customer service and ultimately the customer. I never got an answer why it stayed in "picking" status for 2 weeks from the warehouse, but customer service did end up giving me $20 eShop credit because they hosed up so badly.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I'd guess it's because they are not equipped to actually handle large orders, and then stuff like discounted refurb Wiimotes goes viral, and and they have too many orders than actual ready to ship product.

Very well could be, although throughout that time, they were never once back ordered. The thing that pissed me off was that they changed the status to "picking" which is the status they put when they have the stock and just need to box it up. Every time I called for those 2 weeks that it was in "picking" status, the answer was "That means it'll ship today or tomorrow", to which I had to constantly say "That's what I was first told a week and a half ago". Hence the numerous tickets being entered to find out what was going on with my order.

It still annoys me that I was never given an answer. Absolutely worst experience I had with Nintendo in 25 years of being a customer, and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare confirmed NOT available for a Wii U. I don't care about that game at all, but Activision not releasing it's biggest game of the year on the Wii U does not bode well for Nintendo's financial future.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Oh no what will i loving do without the next yearly shootymans

The question is what will Nintendo do without any 3rd party support. Ubi showed a grand total of 0 Wii U games at E3. The 2 largest third-party videogame companies have all but given up on making anything for the Wii U.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PoshAlligator posted:

Well, who was buying Call of Duty on the Wii U anyway?

No one, and that's a big financial risk to Nintendo. I know that people like to put their fingers in their ears when it comes to any bad news for Nintendo, but that should be a serious concern for anyone who wants to see Nintendo thrive.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Unless you're an investor it is of relatively no consequence to you, the Wii U owner

Change in leadership, layoffs, potential restructuring can absolutely affect you as a Wii U owner in terms of quantity, frequency and quality of games in the future. They are fine right now because of the massive amounts of cash from the Wii, but that money isn't going to last forever.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Quoting to laugh at your retarded rear end. Acting like you got business sense and poo poo after taking a day of econ 101

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Zombi-U is like 10 dollars now, surely you can afford it now instead of pretending you hate it.

My business sense is next to none, but you don't need advanced economics to know that after 3 years of operating losses, 2 of the largest videogame makers have pulled support for games for your system means it's a further loss of revenue. You don't make up operating losses by losing revenue.

Plus I quoted your second one to point out that while everyone jumped down my throat for pointing out that financial problems affects us as consumers of their product in terms of quantity and quality of games, everyone is also lamenting on this page that Ubi won't make another ZombiU.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

elf help book posted:

You come to this site every day just to talk about Nintendo's finances.

I've talked about Nintendo's finances for the first time in like 3 months yesterday, but it's still a valid topic. I know that suggesting that Nintendo may have issues in this thread is like telling a mother that her child is ugly, but it's the elephant in the room, and it's at least a different subject than the tri-weekly Wonderful 101 back and forth banter.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

This popped up because of someone being SUPER CONCERNED about the next assassin creed and call of duty not coming out for WiiU. As a signal third party support was ending.

I got news for him, their previous games didn't sell on WiiU, so if they existed and no one was buying that's functionally the same as there being no support anyway. It's there a single person who was going to buy the WiiU but now won't because it isn't getting the yearly call of duty? Is there a single person going to get rid of their WiiU because Assassin's Creed 8 won't be on it?

The problem is that Ubi flat out said they aren't supporting it, which means that it's not only Assassin's Creed that gets dropped, it's ZombiU 2 and any other projects that their team of developers could create (including the long rumored Beyond Good and Evil 2).

A lack of choice isn't good for Ubi, Nintendo or us as the consumers. Activision/EA have not said that they have given up support, but they showed no games at E3 for the Wii U and confirmed that Mass Effect 4 and Mirror's Edge 2 (come on, how well would the gamepad work with that) will not be coming to the Wii U.

When Ubi confirms that they will not support Wii U, and EA/Activision all but confirms dropping Wii U by showing 0 games at E3 for it, we not only lose Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and NHL '15, we lose all of the other games that are actually good.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

I'm having trouble coming up with a good EA or Activision game. Ubisoft I will grant you.

I liked Mirror's Edge, and I think it could definitely use the Gamepad's extra screen and Gyro sensors in a cool way. Mass Effect was also good, but I can understand why people wouldn't care about the 4th.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

I'll admit it, I play the NHL games.

Jsor posted:

I played the first FIFA they released on the Wii U and I have to admit they did some pretty cool stuff with the gamepad.

This is a little weird to me. You shouldn't have to "admit" that you had fun with and enjoyed a video game. Even if it causes elf help book to foam at the mouth.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know guys I'm really bummed I can't play Call of Duty on my Wii U. I guess I'll just have to settle for Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi Yarn, Xenoblade X and a new Zelda eventually.

What a lovely console I have purchased. Maybe I should trade it in for an Xbox One so I can shoot mans.

Because that's EXACTLY what I said. No hyperbole here, nope.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Silver Striker posted:

First up is Mario Kart 8. I really like this game, but the graphics just feel... off. I don't really know how else to describe it. They just feel offputting when compared to the other Wii U games I've played. It's not ugly or anything, and it runs well, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

It feels a little "plasticy", but I actually like it. Out of the games I've played so far on Wii U, Mario Kart 8 is my favorite graphics-wise (although I expect that to change when I start playing Pikmin 3).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Wii U Discussion - Don't Discuss the Wii U here

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wii U Discussion - Let's fight about Wonderful 101 several times a week

Fixed that for you. And what I posted wasn't a rehash. The news that COD: Advanced Warfare wasn't coming out for Wii U was never confirmed until yesterday, you know, making it Wii U news that was less than 24 hours old when I posted it.

But seriously, let's fight about how you just don't understand Wonderful 101 again.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lemming posted:

Nobody cares that you posted that it wasn't coming to the Wii U, people are making fun of you because then you added "so therefore Nintendo is doomed"

I didn't say they were doomed, that's the strawman that all the defensive people in this thread set up for me. I said it doesn't bode well financially, which it doesn't. It's pretty much guaranteed to be this year's best selling title, and Nintendo isn't going to get a slice of that pie after 3 years of operating losses.

I simply questioned how long the losses are going to go on before something at Nintendo changes. If you go back and read what I actually wrote, I said that they aren't in jeopardy because of the cash they had on hand from the Wii sales.

Everyone just gets freaking butthurt if anyone suggests anything other than "everything is fine and dandy at Nintendo." It would not have turned into this at all if we could have a discussion about it that didn't immediately start with name-calling and going for the jugular.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

Heres the problem. Nobody here has the answer to your question. You have to understand that Iwata or Miyamoto doesn't post here. Please understand that they don't post here.

Yeah, I know that. But I also find it to be an interesting topic, specifically because of Nintendo's almost cyclical propensity to be at the bottom one generation and at the top the next.

Edit: Also, just because the loudest people in this thread don't want to play Call of Duty does not mean that it's not something that other people care about. I personally hate the Call of Duty series and Advanced Warfare in particular, but that doesn't mean that no one in this thread cares about the series.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 22, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

ya its totally been like this if you completely forget that the n64 and gamecube existed

Well it was NES, Super NES at the top, N64 and Gamecube at the bottom, Wii at the top in a way that no console has ever been before, Wii U is getting complete removal of support by the two largest third party companies.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

What's cyclical is someone coming into the thread talking about how Nintendo is in trouble now, and then not adding anything new to the discussion, which has happened yet again today

Because there is nothing new to add to the discussion. We know the Wii U is not doing well. We know, sport, we know

It was news, and probably the most noteworthy of the past week until Ultiginio just posted that bit about the Hyrule Warriors updates in Japan.

Here's an article from 10 minutes ago where the boss of EU Ubisoft says that Super Smash Bros could boost sales to the point that Ubisoft will be happy.

Do we just stop discussing Wii U news unless it's happy news?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

No, but if you bring in news with the intent on repurposing bullshit we've already talked about for a million years then you're going to be made fun of, sorry

Alright, noted. No talk about Nintendo's financial issues.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Well, except the PS2 of course, haha.

I agree that it's unfortunate we're seeing major 3rd party publishers pulling some support, but you also have to keep in mind that the writing was sort of on the wall for this. This is an issue Nintendo won't be able to fix until much later in this generation or, more likely, next generation. They really pushed to have mature titles out the starting gate but couldn't hold it up. Like the PS4, they opted to release a number of games that had already been out, but unlike the PS4, they had none of the drummed-up hype or awareness.

It's been said before, but really - what do we say? Yeah, we know Ubisoft is expecting Smash to perform and bring up big numbers. Yeah, we know they've dropped Wii U support for their M-rated titles and will only be delivering quality AAA content like Just Dance 2015. And I can promise you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that when Ubisoft sees those Wii U sales numbers following Smash, they're gonna' be disappointed. People will get out their WiiUblackboard.png, copied from last generation's PS3blackboard.png, and they'll cross off "Mega Man in Smash!!!" because ohhhh noooo, it didn't save the Wii U!

What does merit discussion is a statement by Iwata, something that Nintendo itself is talking about, something that Nintendo itself is addressing. If Iwata gets sacked, that's arguably bad news we can talk about. If Miyamoto retires, that's arguably bad news we can talk about. If Splatoon/Kirby/Mario Maker gets delayed because they've pulled developers from that team to work on the more reliable 3DS side of things, that's bad news we can talk about. If the Wii U underperforms so badly that they're pulling support for the console in 2016, that's bad news and I can guarantee you we'd be going nuts talking about it. But Ubisoft saying the same baloney they've said before is only going to lead us to saying the same baloney we've said before, and it's really, really, really tiring.

When you find something new to say about it, let us know.

See, this is a good response to what I said. I agree, and as a person who only came into this thread 3 months ago and is interested in business (tangentially), I wasn't around for the ad nauseum discussion. I still think it was of note because it wasn't confirmed before yesterday.

Ultigonio posted:

Yes, he's making the uncontroversial statement, "Nintendo is not doing as well as they could be," and other people respond with the uncontroversial, "Yes, we know."

This is where I absolutely disagree. I said some uncontroversial statements, and it was literally pages of people saying I want to see Nintendo doomed. I've been a customer of Nintendo since I was 4 in 1988, which is probably longer than most of them, and I know you, were alive. The response was absolutely not "Yes, we know". It was "gently caress you and die".

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Morby posted:

Ya know, I always thought originally that I wouldn't really like or use the gamepad very much, but I've really been impressed with it.

I bought the Wii U Pro controller because I've used nothing but those style controllers for my whole life, but I can't give up the gamepad. It's light enough that I don't notice it, ergonomic enough that I love it, and the screen/gyro/mic adds more than you realize. I tried to play Super Mario 3D World with the pro controller to justify owning it, and then instinctively blew on it to see secret blocks. I immediately turned off the pro controller and went back to the gamepad.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Honestly, can we at least try to keep this thread on topic?

Speaking of being on topics, my local Best Buy has pretty much every Wii U accessory on "clearance" but I've heard of other stores doing this just to move units.

Honestly, there's not nearly enough news to keep this thread going on a daily basis. (Please don't attack me) As has been noted, we're pretty much relegated to first-party news which happens every 2 weeks to 3 months because of the lack of third party support, so we have Nintendo first party news, updates for the eShop, updates of club nintendo and rehashing the same discussions about the games that are already out.

(Again, please do not attack me)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

Finally seriously getting into shovel knight and holy cow plague knight is a loving bitch

Learn the level and get there with two red Ichor potions. Use the phase locket liberally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

lmao what are you talking about

Have you played Shovel Knight? Get the two Ichor chalices, get them filled with the red Ichor from the Trouple. Learn the level so you don't have to use the red Ichor (fills your health and magic), then use the phase locket (the item that makes you invincible for 3 seconds) as much as needed while fighting the plague knight.

Or are you just posting an FYAD style non-sequitur?

• Locked thread