Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Chaltab posted:

Say whatever DID happen to the shitpost about Wii U thread? It kind of served a valuable function.

Turns out the WiiU is pretty awesome and everyone begrudgingly admitted they were getting WiiUs and the thread became awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Turns out the WiiU is pretty awesome and everyone begrudgingly admitted they were getting WiiUs and the thread became awesome

That thread had some A grade meltdowns, it was a fun time.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It's a shame that none of the DLC from the Steam version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed made it to the Wii U version. Ryo is a cool guy, whether he is drinking sodas, buying capsule toys, or flipping cars over with his forklift.

They can leave the Yogscast DLC on Steam though because Yogscast haha

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's a shame that none of the DLC from the Steam version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed made it to the Wii U version. Ryo is a cool guy, whether he is drinking sodas, buying capsule toys, or flipping cars over with his forklift.

You don't get it is all. The joke is they're british.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's really cute though!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Is the Yogscast game coming out for the Wii U, though?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

it's dead

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Maybe I'm weird, but I've always really enjoyed worlds 3 and 4 of SMB3 and I liked the frog suit a lot!

Also, Mario Kart 8 alone has justified my WiiU purchase. I have had a blast so far trying to get 3-star finishes on the different circuits. When you play single player, do you have to use another controller besides the tablet in order to see the map? I played MK8 at a friend's place, and the tablet was really only used for that. I assume it's because we were doing multiplayer, but even by myself it would be awesome to see a map.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's not coming out at all. Poor contract-writing had one artist walk off with a large pile of money without doing any work, then Yogscast held the money slated for a lead programmer hostage until the devs could show they could make something... which kinda needs a lead programmer. End result is a trainwreck with the devs and Yogscast laying "pin the blame on the other guy."

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Bruceski posted:

It's not coming out at all. Poor contract-writing had one artist walk off with a large pile of money without doing any work, then Yogscast held the money slated for a lead programmer hostage until the devs could show they could make something... which kinda needs a lead programmer. End result is a trainwreck with the devs and Yogscast laying "pin the blame on the other guy."

Hahahah oh god, how did I miss it? That is an incredibly large drama bombshell I'm amazed reddit/youtube didn't melt down, do they still have youtube followers? So many questions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nolgthorn posted:

Watching a Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon playthrough for 3DS it looks really good like the best possible combination of a Mario game and Ghostbusters.

However it seems the only full sized offering is the original Luigi's Mansion ala Gamecube. We all know Gamecube games aren't on Wii U. There feels like there is a big gap. Is it possible these (year-old) rumours could be true that Dark Moon is coming to Wii U or is this all very unlikely to happen.

http://nintendonews.com/2013/10/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-wii-u-discovered-on-best-buy-website/

Luigi's Mansion 2 is a way more substantial game than the original, it's not even close (or even a necessarily positive thing).

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

I believe Ultigonio is correct, though if I recall correctly you have to hit the end box at the right angle/height of the jump (basically keeping the horizontal running momentum through the jump) - try aiming for the lower-left corner.
I'm messing around trying to see what gets me a star - it seems like, as long as you're running full speed (and to the right?), it doesn't matter if you land on top of it. If you turn left just before you hit it, you're basically guaranteed to get a mushroom. You do ACTUALLY have to be running at full-speed, I think.

quote:

I wonder if Mario Maker will be versatile enough that we end up with SMB3-esque stages. Has Nintendo giving more information about it since E3, or mentioned how level-sharing is going to work? I'd totally make my own entire Mario game just to hear everyone laugh at how terrible it is.
They did bring up that we may see tilesets from entirely different series, but yeah, I'm still really curious as to how many mechanics are going to be made availble to us. I'd love to see things like moving platforms whose paths we can guide, but who knows. I'm almost positive they said that Miiverse integration will be used for level sharing, but I hadn't even thought of the idea of sharing entire "games." It would definitely be neat to have access to something like a world map editor, but I get the feeling we won't be seeing anything on that scale, mainly because moderating entries that large (to ensure they don't have naughty-bit-shaped arrangements of blocks and the like) would almost certainly be way too time-consuming.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Morby posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I've always really enjoyed worlds 3 and 4 of SMB3 and I liked the frog suit a lot!

Also, Mario Kart 8 alone has justified my WiiU purchase. I have had a blast so far trying to get 3-star finishes on the different circuits. When you play single player, do you have to use another controller besides the tablet in order to see the map? I played MK8 at a friend's place, and the tablet was really only used for that. I assume it's because we were doing multiplayer, but even by myself it would be awesome to see a map.

I remember trying to beat the last stage of Dark World in the Frog Suit to get the special letter. Never did it. :( You want to make SMB3 hard? Use the Frog suit in non-water levels.

MK8 justifies everything. Good luck 3-starring 150cc, just remember you only need 1 star on everything for unlocks (and staring a higher level difficulty counts for the lower levels too).

Regarding the map, right now I believe the only way to see it is on the Gamepad. However, there's an update coming out soon with the Mercedes DLC that will add the map to the TV screen along with other various new features I believe.

Now we just need to get classic battle mode back.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

CatsPajamas posted:

I remember trying to beat the last stage of Dark World in the Frog Suit to get the special letter. Never did it. :( You want to make SMB3 hard? Use the Frog suit in non-water levels.

MK8 justifies everything. Good luck 3-starring 150cc, just remember you only need 1 star on everything for unlocks (and staring a higher level difficulty counts for the lower levels too).

Regarding the map, right now I believe the only way to see it is on the Gamepad. However, there's an update coming out soon with the Mercedes DLC that will add the map to the TV screen along with other various new features I believe.

Now we just need to get classic battle mode back.

Mario 3 was hard enough as it is! That piece of gaming OCD to get the special letter is just gonna have to remain undone for me.

Ya know, I always thought originally that I wouldn't really like or use the gamepad very much, but I've really been impressed with it. There are a couple things that are a little annoying like some of the button placement, but on the whole it's been really solid so far. I'm also really impressed with the TV TV TV functionality that came straight out of the box. Really cool stuff. For a game like Mario Kart, it's perfectly fine. For NSLU/NSMBU, I think I'm just gonna dig up a Wiimote. How is the Wii U Pro pad? It looks almost like a 360 controller. Is it just as useable/comfortable?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Morby posted:

Is it just as useable/comfortable?
Moreso.

And yeah, I really like that I can hit the Home button on the gamepad, pick a game, pick my profile, hit the TV button, turn on the TV, and be all set to go.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Morby posted:

How is the Wii U Pro pad? It looks almost like a 360 controller. Is it just as useable/comfortable?

What he said. I wasn't going to buy any other controllers once I got my refurbished Wii Plus Remotes for like $20, but everyone keep talking about how great they were so I bought one when they were on sale at Best Buy and yeah it's pretty drat great. People weren't kidding about the great battery life either, again I bought it back during a sale and I don't think I've had to charge it since then. Can't wait to use it for Smash 4!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finally understand why DKCTF gave me 99 lives in the first five worlds. It's because I'm going to blow through all of them in world 6.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Morby posted:

Ya know, I always thought originally that I wouldn't really like or use the gamepad very much, but I've really been impressed with it.

I bought the Wii U Pro controller because I've used nothing but those style controllers for my whole life, but I can't give up the gamepad. It's light enough that I don't notice it, ergonomic enough that I love it, and the screen/gyro/mic adds more than you realize. I tried to play Super Mario 3D World with the pro controller to justify owning it, and then instinctively blew on it to see secret blocks. I immediately turned off the pro controller and went back to the gamepad.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So I must be the one guy who got the lovely refurb Wii U. I've tried three different discs (MK8, Nintendoland, Xenoblade) and every one of them throws up disc errors at random. Now I have to call Nintendo tomorrow and get them to repair my repaired Wii U. Motherfuck. At least they gave 'em the standard warranty. Anyone know what the usual turnaround is on Wii U repairs?

It's a drat shame, too, because I've just gotten to play it enough to absolutely love it, and now I have to lose it for who knows how many weeks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jedi425 posted:

So I must be the one guy who got the lovely refurb Wii U. I've tried three different discs (MK8, Nintendoland, Xenoblade) and every one of them throws up disc errors at random. Now I have to call Nintendo tomorrow and get them to repair my repaired Wii U. Motherfuck. At least they gave 'em the standard warranty. Anyone know what the usual turnaround is on Wii U repairs?

It's a drat shame, too, because I've just gotten to play it enough to absolutely love it, and now I have to lose it for who knows how many weeks.

Took a week and a half to get mine back when I sent it in.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Austrian mook posted:

That thread had some A grade meltdowns, it was a fun time.

You can't say this and not post quotes

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Raserys posted:

You can't say this and not post quotes

gently caress man, it's friday night... I'll do it hold on

E:

Stux posted:

Now you see dad, the woman on the left there is what is known as "tsundere", this means that she is outwardly harsh but inside has a heart of gold. You see how these games have deep and adult themes now and aren't embarrassing poo poo for children?

Read the page this is on, and there's another later which I'm gonna pull up.

E2:

Fulchrum posted:

Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 23, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Austrian mook posted:

gently caress man, it's friday night... I'll do it hold on
Wait they thought Melia was tsundere, what the gently caress. Half the reason the game is so good is that the characters aren't unbearable anime cliches.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Honestly, can we at least try to keep this thread on topic?

Speaking of being on topics, my local Best Buy has pretty much every Wii U accessory on "clearance" but I've heard of other stores doing this just to move units.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chaltab posted:

Wait they thought Melia was tsundere, what the gently caress. Half the reason the game is so good is that the characters aren't unbearable anime cliches.

:ssh: I don't think he actually played the game.

More importantly going to the other thread to pull posts to feel smug about is really god damned stupid.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Chaltab posted:

Half the reason the game is so good is that the characters aren't unbearable anime cliches.

To be fair, if you only played the first hour of the game you could be excused for thinking Fiora is pure distilled ~~~anime girl~~~.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Speaking of being on topics, my local Best Buy has pretty much every Wii U accessory on "clearance" but I've heard of other stores doing this just to move units.

I was able to grab a headset for the console at about $5 a while back, and it looks like you still can. It's the closest thing to an official headset I suppose, what with it being licensed (Seal of Approval and all) and being in similar blue and white packaging as all the other official accessories.

The speakers are fine, but I can't vouch for the microphone as I haven't really played with it online. I don't even know what games actually support voice chat.

EDIT: Speaking of microphones, you can grab SiNG Party with the microphone for about $16 at Best Buy, Amazon, or Wal-Mart. I dunno if it's any good but I figure you can find it cheaper at like maybe a K-Mart or some other dying retailer.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 23, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Xenoblade did have it's share of anime cliches, it's just compared to most JRPGs it was...something that's not a JRPG (I can't really think of something that would embody that). Funnily enough Sharla (the one they were talking about) was like the one of the three female protagonists that didn't really fall into a JRPG cliche.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Honestly, can we at least try to keep this thread on topic?

Honestly, there's not nearly enough news to keep this thread going on a daily basis. (Please don't attack me) As has been noted, we're pretty much relegated to first-party news which happens every 2 weeks to 3 months because of the lack of third party support, so we have Nintendo first party news, updates for the eShop, updates of club nintendo and rehashing the same discussions about the games that are already out.

(Again, please do not attack me)

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I was able to grab a headset for the console at about $5 a while back, and it looks like you still can. It's the closest thing to an official headset I suppose, what with it being licensed (Seal of Approval and all) and being in similar blue and white packaging as all the other official accessories.

The speakers are fine, but I can't vouch for the microphone as I haven't really played with it online. I don't even know what games actually support voice chat.

I grabbed the same one. As far as I know only poo poo like Monster Hunter and Mario Kart 8 lobby (if everyone in is on your friends list) do it I think. Also there's like a whole thing of headphones made by different companies with that WiiU branded box. This is the cheapest and gently caress I couldn't argue with 5-6 dollar headphones.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The only area where Xenoblade got annoyingly "anime" was with its armor designs, which were really absurd/horny and didn't live up to the quality of the rest of the game's art design.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Finally seriously getting into shovel knight and holy cow plague knight is a loving bitch

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Red Suit posted:

I just ordered the $200 refurbished WiiU bundle! Time to price hunt for some used games. I want to get DK Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World. The gf wants me to also get Mari Kart and Wind Waker HD. Anything else worth getting?

Get Rayman Legends, it's an amazing game and a completely different style of 2d platformer than the dk series. The wii u version is also the definitive version of the game. Rayman and vvvvvv are what converted me from hating platformers to becoming a total junkie.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Platformers are gods genre

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

Finally seriously getting into shovel knight and holy cow plague knight is a loving bitch

Learn the level and get there with two red Ichor potions. Use the phase locket liberally.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

Learn the level and get there with two red Ichor potions. Use the phase locket liberally.

lmao what are you talking about

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I seriously can't imagine doing this without getting hit, the first two bosses were pushovers and this fucker has a million different moves.

E: One loving hit goddamit

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

lmao what are you talking about

Have you played Shovel Knight? Get the two Ichor chalices, get them filled with the red Ichor from the Trouple. Learn the level so you don't have to use the red Ichor (fills your health and magic), then use the phase locket (the item that makes you invincible for 3 seconds) as much as needed while fighting the plague knight.

Or are you just posting an FYAD style non-sequitur?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't get any Ichor until right before the final stage of the game. I guess I made my own hardmode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Austrian mook posted:

Plague Knight goes down like a loving bitch, more like. What a chump.

• Locked thread