Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Welcome to Wii U 2014. The Year of Winning E3. The Year of Sexy Nintendo. The Year of Cute!

Cute
Captain Toad
Villager
Snoozing Gooba on a river

Sexy
Rosalina
Bayonetta
-6 Suit Samus

Cute and Sexy (is this possible? Nintendo makes it possible and puts it into your heart)
Princess Peach on a motorcycle wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Natron posted:

Can we stop pretending that any games are "mature"? Just because a game has violence and blood and your character is a big macho dude with issues doesn't make something mature. It's basically the equivalent of playing GI Joes on your driveway, it's just far more sophisticated and expensive.

Edit: Sorry, I'm quite late to the party here, but I was referencing Ubisoft's decision to not publish any more "mature" games on WiiU.

Read "mature" as "bad"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I recommended Walk It Out.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fremry posted:

People are still going to come in and ask that question.

Actually talking to people instead of referencing a pre-written guide is cool.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I don't know how to read.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

*jotting down notes* Hmm yeah *continues to write notes* I see *camera pans around revealing notepad, pages contain the words "THIS DUDE'S A BIG IDIOT NERD" and nothing else*

If Reggie asked me to wear a dress, I probably would.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

He would probably ask you to lay down and he would eat a bigfoot pizza off your dress.

That would be cool.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fremry posted:

My business sense is next to none, but you don't need advanced economics to know that after 3 years of operating losses, 2 of the largest videogame makers have pulled support for games for your system means it's a further loss of revenue. You don't make up operating losses by losing revenue.

Plus I quoted your second one to point out that while everyone jumped down my throat for pointing out that financial problems affects us as consumers of their product in terms of quantity and quality of games, everyone is also lamenting on this page that Ubi won't make another ZombiU.

Oh my god, this is the only thread you post in.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

You come to this site every day just to talk about Nintendo's finances.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Where are the cute chars for cute graphs?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fremry posted:

The problem is that Ubi flat out said they aren't supporting it, which means that it's not only Assassin's Creed that gets dropped, it's ZombiU 2 and any other projects that their team of developers could create (including the long rumored Beyond Good and Evil 2).

A lack of choice isn't good for Ubi, Nintendo or us as the consumers. Activision/EA have not said that they have given up support, but they showed no games at E3 for the Wii U and confirmed that Mass Effect 4 and Mirror's Edge 2 (come on, how well would the gamepad work with that) will not be coming to the Wii U.

When Ubi confirms that they will not support Wii U, and EA/Activision all but confirms dropping Wii U by showing 0 games at E3 for it, we not only lose Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and NHL '15, we lose all of the other games that are actually good.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630783

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hey guys I know you already know about the Wii U not doing well but did you know

that the Wii U isn't doing well :eyepop:

Please quote some numbers you don't know are true and don't understand. Maybe we can turn this ship around. Maybe we can come up with a new name for the console?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

What's cyclical is someone coming into the thread talking about how Nintendo is in trouble now, and then not adding anything new to the discussion, which has happened yet again today

Because there is nothing new to add to the discussion. We know the Wii U is not doing well. We know, sport, we know

I think it's funny that anyones referring to you as a defensive Nintendo baby because you complained about everything Nintendo did for like 2 years straight and were one of the top posters in the other thread. lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I dominated that thread, and then when the investor meeting happened and I saw how even Nintendo's investors dont give a gently caress and are manchildren, then why should I or anyone here give a poo poo? We all bought the Nintendo console for Nintendo games only, strip out all pretense.

Would I like other games? I have a PC. I have 60 games in my Steam backlog I haven't played yet. I have original Wii games on my shelf I haven't played. I'm not spending my free time staring at my wall. It's not a big deal waiting for the next Nintendo game.

Video games are cool.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I've never used an infinite lives trick in a Mario game and the NES Remix level that made me do it was seriously the toughest thing in the game for me to pass.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

They can leave the Yogscast DLC on Steam though because Yogscast haha

It's really cute though!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Did you mean to say Captain Toad Treasure Tracker because that's the name of the game you're talking about, so

It's actually possible there could be a level made of sweets.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

elf help book posted:

Please quote some numbers you don't know are true and don't understand. Maybe we can turn this ship around. Maybe we can come up with a new name for the console?

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

For all five of you who are following my Mario playthrough...

Finally beat Mario Bros 3 properly! Well, if by properly you mean "with a walkthrough next to me for the last half of the game and using some of the 1up tricks other goons mentioned".

Still, I felt like a goddamn boss getting to the final world. And weirdly enough, the final world isn't all that tough. Looks way more imposing than it actually is. But world 7? With all the plants and mazes and goddamn tricky rear end levels? Yeah, that's what stymied my childhood.

And while I just worked a 15 hour shift (last day of the summer job) and don't feel like rambling out a review - I will say that it is easy to see why SMB3 is still so beloved. It's not the most balanced mario game out there, but it is absolutely exploding with new ideas and items and gimmicks and themes.

There's something awesome about them putting in so many items for the hell of it. I frankly much prefer super mario world's One Item storage box, but holding onto over 30 powerups in SMB3 feels gamebreaking in the very best sort of way.

And while I still wish more levels had more opportunities for mario to power up within the level itself, the level design really is impeccable. For most of the game, the developers do hand you the things you want - if you know where to look. So if you're playing as super mario and there's a secret pipe you have to fly to, there's a good chance somewhere in the level is the racoon leaf.

About to play Super Mario world for the first time in nearly a decade - but this is one game I've already beaten. Never did find all the exits or beat all the star road levels though.

I'm happy for you. :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I wish the 3d world characters had customizable attributes, like putting Luigi's stats on Toad. My girlfriend only wants to be Toad because he's cute, but he has the worst jump, which is tough because this is her first videogame ever. Learning how to move in 3d space and properly time and land jumps is hard enough without using the character that's the worst at it.

She's training in high gravity.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I want little toys and don't really care if it gives me an extra mushroom in the next Mario game or whatever.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

gay skull posted:

Hey let's hit the road where we'll go from town to town, I'll talk to the audience about video games and then you'll chime in with a funny comment and then we'll do a little synchronized tap dance, twirl our canes and strike a pose as the curtains fall

Shut up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Figmas are cooler if you really want to decorate your house with video game characters.

I hate the weird joints on those.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

jivjov posted:

You can buy the DLC just fine; its just gonna ask you "Hey, are you sure you own this game?" (because you can totally buy DLC for a game you don't own and 'waste' your money.)

I was pretty happy to see that warning because it means if a game has temporary free dlc, you should be able to "buy" it without yet owning the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

What about the actual 5% 12 and under? Like, what are they using?

Some babies are tougher than others, some babies need to game no matter what.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Amiibos are plastic figurines that do what cloud storage could do much better plus password.

Instead of having a character in the cloud that you can update with your newest "power ups" you have an NFC powered figurine that you need to carry around with you. As if the consumer test of Box com vs USB hasn't been resolved already.

The thing to realise about Amiibos is that if they cost $20 now they will be worth at least $30 in 20 years. Especially if they suck and nobody likes them therefore they stop being produced and become another relic of Nintendo history.

That my friends is a solid as gently caress investment if you ask me.

No one asked you.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fremry posted:

I don't plan on buying any, but how tall are the Amiibos?

Kirby is life sized, the rest are to scale with Kirby.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ethanol posted:

So is the demo a pretty good representation of what monster hunter 3 is? I whacked that drat monster so many times and he never died... kind of throwing me off the game.

The bunny? In the real game you get a much longer time period. But if you keep trying you should be able to beat it in the demo time with ease.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I really liked fighting the bunny and quickly trying out the different weapon types on it and was sold on the game by the demo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

edit: never mind

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

"YAH!", "HA HA", and "WAHOOOOOOOOO!" is enough dialogue.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I played MH3U with some friends and a pubbie 11 year old once and it was really funny.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Oh yeah, Mario needs to yell out whatever the name of the game is.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Nonsense posted:

On that note, I just want to comment on how brain dead Giant Bomb users are when they announced both a Bayonetta Direct and The New 3DS and posted: "People are so confused, about all of this! Why are you so confusing Nintendo! Stop trying in this clearly a Playstation world!"

That's exactly what people post here about names and controllers.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fremry posted:

It absolutely was. Calling into quesiton the usability and viability of motion controls for videogames as a whole in no way calls into question the success of the Wii.

Why do you guys always do this? It's so weird. It reminds me of when the iPhone 4 didn't work when you held it, Apple said you were holding it wrong, and Apple fanboys became mongrel dogs when anyone suggested that Apple hosed up.

You are allowed to be critical of a company and still love the company. You aren't going to lose a piece of yourself if by admitting that Nintendo isn't the epitome of perfection.

Maybe your big post about the history of motion controls is funny.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Everyone says its short but I wouldn't know because I quit playing it from boredom.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fremry posted:

Club nintendo never updates their rewards on time. You'd think they would have that automated by now.

I like my rewards handmade.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Oh huh. I didn't even realize those were DLC pre-orders. So, each DLC has new tracks AND racers? Weren't they like 8bux? That seems like a really good deal.

From the horse's mouth: http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I thought it was boring and never finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I hope they add in Isabelle.

• Locked thread