Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean who is this list even for, no one is going to pick up a Wii U and think "Hell yes I'm ready to drop a couple hundred bucks on 30 used games." List the half-dozen universally praised titles and if people want to dig deeper they can ask or check any number of other resources about it. We don't need a list of every Wii game people enjoyed playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I liked Trauma Center on Wii (only version I played) but I disliked the later levels with the tough viruses where it went from arcadey challenges that could resemble surgery, to demanding reflex puzzles involving abstract shapes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there anything else out there similar to the Zelda minigame in Nintendo Land? Neither my mom nor my girlfriend ever play games but they both loving love chopping up pigs in that minigame, and it's kind of a bummer to reach the last level. With the Wii remote style of motion controls having fizzled out I doubt a full sequel game or any similar kind of swordy game will be coming out. I would seriously buy DLC levels for that thing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Wii U is a good console and it's also a bummer that some popular games won't be released on it. There's a middle ground dudes, leaping to defend every single thing is desperate and weird.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I dunno if this guy has some kind of troll history but he's making some really uncontroversial statements and y'all are working yourselves into a frenzy over it. "Nintendo not getting a top-selling game means they will make less money", cue pages of "Who cares get out of here stupid numbers troll".

Anyway I've never bought a call of duty game and don't intend to but the gamepad is really sweet for aiming in a way that joysticks never were so that presumably would've been fun for some Wii U CoD fans

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CatsPajamas posted:

Wait, really? I had always assumed that was just a joke, and I've never met anyone in person who actually thought that. Is awareness that much of an issue? I remember seeing a study that said the only positive correlation to sales of a game was advertising, and it's a drat shame if that's true for either games or systems.

I was under the impression the Wii appealed to a much broader audience, however the new segments of that audience weren't the kind of people who were going to buy a new console every generation. Nintendo's never had any planned obsolescence so if people are happy with a Wii it's not going to spontaneously combust anytime soon. I was still playing my NES when I got my N64.

I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan, camped out to buy a Wii on launch day, and while my interest waned as the Wii reached the end of its cycle, I still did a lot of PC gaming and considered myself more well-informed about gaming than most casual Wii owners. I had no idea the Wii U was an entirely new console for its first year and only found out because of the SA forums. I thought it was another peripheral or possibly a deluxe Wii, like a partial upgrade to a new console or something. Granted I didn't do much research into it at all but if that's the awareness I had I'm sure a more casual crowd is even less aware of it.

Keeping the Wii name was smart; my girlfriend still refers to it as "playing Wii". But just adding U to the end was a bad call; it doesn't really seem distinct enough, like it could be the name of a peripheral, and what does the U mean? I still have no idea. It also sounds bad phonetically, it's a muddy set of "words". Even Wii 2 or something would've been better.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No one likes all the koopalings, but everyone likes at least one, so you gotta include them all.

Roy's the best of course.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish the 3d world characters had customizable attributes, like putting Luigi's stats on Toad. My girlfriend only wants to be Toad because he's cute, but he has the worst jump, which is tough because this is her first videogame ever. Learning how to move in 3d space and properly time and land jumps is hard enough without using the character that's the worst at it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So what do amiibos do? I just looked them up and you scan them and then can level up the corresponding character in smash bros? Does that give you an advantage over anyone who doesn't have an amiibo, or is there a separate amiibo only game mode?

I have no idea what Skylanders or Disney Infinity are, other than "That display that's larger than the Wii and Wii U section combined in any electronics department."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

100%-ing is pretty satisfying, but the "must have full health" requirement can be irritating because sometimes it means you have no room for error. It's not too hard so much as it can distract from enjoying the game. Different people like different challenges in games. I do like the idea in concept and through most of its execution, because it means the levels can be designed to be completed by most people while still including a challenge for those who want it. Sort of an early version of the star coin/green star concept.

And I definitely had dkc 2 on my Wii, guess I need to check and see if it carried over with the Wii U transfer.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Extensive Mario dialogue sucks, but I like the little oneliners from the toads in Galaxy. I think World does have some language though, I remember Captain Toad being introduced as a brave adventurer or something.

And the Charles Martinet interview where he talks about his audition and goes on this rambling hyper rant about chasing a child with spaghetti is the stuff of nightmares.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

From my perspective the Wii U suffered from the Wii's glut of shovelware/mediocre titles and lackluster entries in its big franchises; it had its share of great games but it died a long slow death. I camped out for the drat thing on launch night and by 2011 I almost didn't bother getting Skyward Sword. A lifelong Nintendo fanboy almost didn't get a console's Zelda title. Nintendo burned through a lot of goodwill and fumbled the Wii U's launch too badly to make up for it. Either people thought it was yet another stupid peripheral, or they were asking why they should buy yet another underpowered console so they could play more minigame collections and New Super Mario. Between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword even Zelda started to feel like an "okay" series, so you didn't even have that to look forward to as a system seller.

The complete failure of motion controls was pretty disheartening too. It felt like we had suffered through the beta test of waggle for nothing. We dealt with an underpowered, non-hd console and a generation of entries in flagship series with waggle shoehorned into them just so that work could get tossed out the window. It was disappointing to gradually realize what a failed experiment that was and left me with little confidence in Nintendo's latest stupid gimmick, this time a tablet controller that no one asked for or wanted.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 3, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

What the. You bought a Wii U on launch day and you didn't like the Wii, how did you do this to your brain?

No you misread me, I bought a Wii at launch. I didn't know the Wii U was a console for about a year or so.

axleblaze posted:

Motion controls weren't a failure in the sense that they didn't (initially) do extremely well, but more in the sense that they really failed to catch on and really aren't a thing that is gonna be emphasized by anyone all that much in the future. It's kind of like movies and 3D: it hasn't gone away but it's not the wave of the future that game companies were hoping for.

This is what I meant, thanks for saying it better than I did. Right now the only games on Wii U that use motion plus are the Zelda minigame in Nintendoland, Wii Sports, and Mario and Sonic Olympics. Basic tilt and rotate stuff is still around but the movement towards more fully realized motion controls seems dead for now. It just seemed like a lack of direction on Nintendo's part to have gone all in on motion controls, upped the ante with Motion Plus, and then followed up with a giant rectangle with a screen in the middle. It surely didn't make people think "Alright I don't know what to make of this but sure, I'll buy into this latest trend!"

Anyway I love the Wii U I'm just sharing my opinion on why the giant Wii user base didn't carry over since there was discussion of the poor marketing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

As much as I complain about it, I did quite like Skyward Sword. The dungeons and puzzles are mostly excellent, and I liked that each area before a dungeon was basically an open-air minidungeon.

The lack of overworld sucked, the art design was blah (and led to some terrible boss designs like the Imprisoned and that retarded squid thing), and Fi talked way too much, but overall there's a good game in there. The motion controls are easy once you learn them too. Just remember not to backswing. I'm pretty sure a lot of people's issues are caused by "winding up" or doing a short backswing when they go to swing, causing the remote to think you swung in the opposite direction that you meant to. Once I made an effort not to do that it all clicked.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gunzil posted:

The Zelda minigame in Nintendoland on the other hand gives you a large amount of enemies with interesting patterns and relationships so if anyone wants to experience the good parts of Skyward Sword just play that.

Skyward Sword had great dungeons and those cool timebubbles though. And Groose.

Really it (along with Twilight Princess) suffered from having pretty prominent features that were just half-developed. Like the whole "Link is a Skyward Knight who has a special bond with his riding bird" thing, and then the bird is never relevant to anything. Or Fi being some kind of ancient robot sword spirit who does inexplicable singing dances after each dungeon, but is boring as poo poo the rest of the time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The aesthetic and general feel of Monster Hunter really makes me wish it was open-world. I get that the series is all about the boss fights, but a spin-off where you explore a huge world and track down monsters would be awesome. The CGI trailer for Monster Hunter on the Wii seemed like it might be that kind of game, then I played it and found out the whole game takes place in basically large arenas. It's very good at what it does, I'd just like to see the concept get taken in a different direction.

And you guys are making me excited to finally get around to Tropical Freeze. Returns had maybe the best platforming design I've ever played. There were so many times when I died and I just laughed because I saw exactly how deliberately that spot in the level was designed to trip me up. Like luring you to chase after bananas into a trap, or encouraging you to blindly leap into certain death, but without ever feeling unfair. I can't think of another game that did that so consistently.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Something to keep in mind with the rocket barrels is that you don't need to repeatedly tap the button to make it rise (a la a swimming level), you can just hold it. I didn't realize that until at least halfway through DKCR.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

While the Mario games are on sale I'd like to plug NSMBU. It came with my Wii U when I bought it and my girlfriend and I have a blast playing it together. Throw in a bottle of wine or some beers and it's even better. We're holding off on playing 3D World until we finish this game, but we are having so much fun. I've seen NSMBU get some flak, mostly due to the "New" line of games being samey, but we haven't played a 2D Mario game since the SNES... If you're in a similar situation, play this game!

Yeah. It's come up a couple times on the past month or so but I'll second that. Also with the caveat that the first world or so is really weak, but after that it picks up and is fun and challenging. Getting all the star coins can be pretty tricky and the level design mixes things up pretty darn well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Honestly I think indie games are fairly rated on a different metric because they're usually priced at more of an impulse-buy level and so they carry different expectations. I would be totally satisfied with a charming but shallow game that entertained me for a few afternoons if I paid $10-15 for it, but not if I paid $50-60.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Philosopher King posted:

So I'm thinking about buying a Wii U and I know I want to get Mario Kart. I'm trying to figure out the best deal possible and I'm wondering if I should wait for any other holiday bundles or just go with the walmart version that is out right now.

Walmart has a version that has MK8 and nintendoland. I have not heard any opinion about nintendoland whatsoever.

There is also a guy on ebay selling the Mario and Luigi Wii u bundle for around 259.

Out of these options and any other holiday bundles that may come out, what would you guys go with?

Both of those bundles are good deals. Nintendoland looks like shovelware but it's actually really great if you have people to play it with, especially if you have family/significant others who don't really game often. The Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Mario minigames are a bunch of fun.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

3d World/Tropical Freeze/New Super Mario U is a must-have platforming trifecta. They have co-op but are all awesome single player experiences. If you're not into platformers your mileage may vary but you pretty much have to buy a Wii U if you like that kind of game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

This is a problem because a scale of 0~10 has an average of 5 so 7~8 is....wait, above average? Those darn journos using numbers the way they're supposed to work! :mad:

This isn't how it works in practice though, 7 is thoroughly average because games never get below that unless the reviewer thinks they are actual steaming turds. Reviewers aren't suddenly changing the way they rate games just for Zelda Hyrule Warriors. If you want to nitpick yeah I'm sure there's a ton of shovelware bringing the literal average score down, but in terms of games that a sane person would realistically consider buying, 7 is pretty mediocre.

Of course gaming journalism is poo poo and a single number tells you nothing about a game, impressions and qualitative descriptions are much more valuable, so who cares.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kin posted:

I know it's also been in a lot of recent games (like the Galaxies) but i'm also not that big of a fan of the music in the game. It's got familial scores, but it all just sounds so... nice, pleasant and orchestrally crisp. Whereas the older mario games have a distinctively catchy, comical "fun" tone about them.

I don't know how else to describe it other than the recent stuff sounds "nice" but the older stuff sounded "fun".

Whoa whoa how has no one jumped on this yet? I think you better go back wherever you came from son and think long and hard about what you just said.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea from my experience Luigi's Mansion is a bit too complicated for total nongamers, it seems fun though. Sweet Day, Mario Chase, and Zelda are big fun with nongamers and seem like they'd transfer well to people with gaming experience.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So what happens if your gamepad gets lost or destroyed beyond repair, just buy a new Wii U?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The lack of Virtual Console titles is really weird because fanboys are basically begging to stuff money in Nintendo's pockets and they're like "Nah, we're good."

Fremry posted:

I feel like companies spend all this money on customer surveys and do one of two things with them:

1. Ignore all the criticism and view the good ones as validation that they are doing everything correctly. "90% of users rated us as 'great' or better!"

2. Cherry pick the ones that align with what they want to change and use it to bolster the decisions they were going to make regardless of the surveys. "Social media is where the market is going. 25% of users saw something about us on social media, therefore we should focus our time and money on facebook."

If it's anything like the survey work I've done they actually use the quantitative data, but for the open-ended text boxes some poor guy reads through everything, sorts it out and and does a little write-up that his bosses completely ignore.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

People not liking W101 isn't unheard of.

People being sincerely bothered by fleeting slices of an image of W101 in a loading screen widget for the eShop is, and I must agree that you're being weird and stupid about that.

He just asked if there was a way to edit which games appear there, he's not freaking out about it. No idea why you're dogpiling him as being a weirdo nerd while other people are unironically discussing the best way to label and sort folders.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Has anyone managed to pick up a pro controller for under $50 since early this summer? I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one when Best Buy had that sale.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Man it's been said but after playing it myself I'm really bummed that they bungled the lighting so badly on Windwaker HD. The game mostly looks gorgeous but the lighting just makes everything look like cheap CG, like someone's art school project. I'm sure it's high quality in a vacuum but it clashes with the art style so badly, it's just so blatantly slapped onto a game that was not designed for it; everything is either hazy or washed out or weirdly round looking. It's a shame because they came so close and this hd remake with the rich colors of the original would be genuinely jaw-dropping.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 7, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Don't forget about Smash Bros unless you are somehow people who are interested in every single Nintendo IP but not loving Smash Bros.

If there's a decent number of games you're interested in, just get it. Who cares about the future of the console, there's more than enough games out right now to justify a purchase and you basically never have to pay full price. Pretty much all the major retailers (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target) will price match each other and Amazon so shop around. Amazon usually offers games for a decent amount under the MSRP so keep an eye on that.

Look for deals, especially with the holidays coming up. Hopefully Target will do another of their "$15 off if you buy a $1 reservation card with this game" deals too, if you're lucky /savvy you can pair that with a price match. Over the summer I got 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, and Mario Kart 8 and I didn't pay more than 35 for any of them.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 13, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

If you have friends like this, get better friends.

Or if they like those games so much just play them at their houses? Instead of being the group bitch and dropping close to a grand on a console and games you don't want so your friends can play Madden.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Daisy seems much more "Peach's doubles partner" than "Luigi's girlfriend". I think if Rosalina had come along sooner she would've been Peach's tennis/doubledash partner and Daisy would be forgotten in the past. Especially now that Luigi has fully transitioned from "another Mario" to "bizarre weirdo".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is that third kart supposed to be anything? I know it's from the DS Mario kart or something but I mean is it a reference or a neat design I'm not understanding, or is it just "weird flat kart"?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skyward Sword is really good with some of the best dungeons in the 3d series. For the motion controls:
1) Be sure not to backswing (i.e. if you want to swing right, just move the wiimote right, resist the natural impulse to move slightly left in preparation).
2) If your sword becomes stuck off-center, then recalibrate in the pause menu (instead of just setting the remote down).

Those two things fixed every issue I was having with the controls.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yet another way in which Majora is the best 3d Zelda :smug:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wild Knight posted:

Spirit Tracks is a good game, a mediocre Zelda game, but has an amazing soundtrack and you can go choo-choo by pulling the train whistle on the touch screen and if that doesn't warm your heart a little you are dead inside.

Is the spirit tracks theme the one that plays at the very beginning of that 25th anniversary album that came with Skyward Sword? That's a really awesome song.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does anyone else's Wii U display a "Finished installing software" notification every single time you open the Home menu? It's been going on for a couple weeks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

gently caress yeah! But I was planning on getting Captain Falcon as a little christmas present for myself, and besides him, Luigi and Little Mac, everyone's paintjob seems kinda lame... bar Samus with a pretty good paintjob and a very boring pose. This is the most first-world problem i've ever had.

Yeah I'm not against the idea of getting an amiibo to stick on my desk or something, but most of them don't really appeal to me. And samus, like you said, has a really lame pose.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I'm planning on getting an HD tv in time for Smash, because I have to play that game at the best I can play it. But right now I currently don't have an HD tv, and the screen on the tablet looks GREAT! Mario Kart 8 looks great on it, 3D World looks great on it. The screen just looks good and CRISP. So I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything other than the image being TV sized. It's absolutely wonderful for youtube and other stuff (I currently have the co-optional podcast stream going on on it and it's great).

The gamepad rules, and anyone that bad mouthed it can SHOVE IT

Dude if you think those games look great on the gamepad you're going to lose your poo poo when you see them on an hdtv. Please post your little-kid-on-christmas-morning reaction when you do :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

3d world is great. If you liked Galaxy you'll like this. It's engaging and fun and pretty much every level has a new gimmick without feeling forced. Plus both the visuals and the music are outstanding. And it's probably the best multiplayer Mario ever. My girlfriend and I are almost done with it, it's her first game ever. When she said "I love this, are there any other games like this?" I was very sad to have to reply "... No... :smith: "

That bundle comes with nintendoland too, doesn't it? That's surprisingly fun to play with other people.

• Locked thread