Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

horriblePencilist posted:

There's one part of the game that refers to depression as "your brain being sick".

Absent of any contrext that quote seems incredibly facile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Musket posted:

Its a lovely surface piercing to make her seem more edgy and warhammery.

Looks more like a giant zit

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Pawn 17 posted:

This has got to be one of the most insane things I have read on twitter. This guy should be given a first class ticket to Iraq to say hello to the group he has all this respect for.

I can assure you old Atari games took a ton of effort and skills to develop. Pretty sure they were made in assembly.

Anyone here could re-make Depression Quest within 10 minutes or less using Twine. It's basically just a web interface where you drag/drop text panels on a grid and draw connections between them (CYOA style).

Couldn't you do the same thing in powerpoint by hyperlinking a bunch of slides to eachother?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Contra Calculus posted:

So how exactly do people doxx people? I get that you can Google someone's username and find everything associated with it relatively easily, but how the hell are people finding bank account info and SSN's? :psyduck:

That's not generally something advertised by Facebook accounts let alone generally put on the internet.

I assume because people have been less than judicious about what information they put online which has allowed them to find real names, addresses, telephone numbers and other information which could be used to socially engineer all kinds of information about someone.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
It's just at the moment everytime people start getting bored some journo/indie darling/miscellaneous internet hanger on does something batshit stupid.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

XK posted:

As shameful as it looks, having gaming websites sponsored by Mountain Dew and Doritos is less corrupting than having them rely on funding from game developers and publishers.

At least then they are dealing with faceless corporate PR departments / agencies who don't want to be your bestest friend / roommate / cucking enabler.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Automatic Slim posted:

True, but he's definitely right about the gaming journalism industry™ spending what nonsexist credibility they have
on defending the likes of ZQ.

Gaming journalism is right up their with military intelligence far as joke oxymoron's go.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I truly don't understand what people are so afraid of. Not her for losing her job cause that's obvious, but why the people above her don't want to say a thing that dares go against Zoe Quinn

Probably because they are pretty happy with the status quo and are personally invested in it to a greater or larger extent so don't want to rock the boat / will make sure any potential boat rockers get thrown overboard with great acceleration and alacrity.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

concerned mom posted:

Is there any other industry where someone with no qualifications or remote understanding of anything can become a respected and important figure in that community.

Local government. :eng101:

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Robo Reagan posted:

in my biased opinion im going to assume you get a prepared speech from zoey about how christians/religion are the reason for everything evil in the world

That's why she'll become one with her inner Thetan.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Don't give a gently caress about lame cards guy but that gawker article basically seems to be saying "this should follow him around for life whether or not it's true" and seems really petty

I guess you're not familiar with Gawker media?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Fatkraken posted:

it was popular with tons of different critics though, the average score is like 8.6 and 48 out of 55 professional reviews were strongly positive, and the other seven mixed. This is more a case of "critical darling which is not well loved by the public" which comes up time and time again in any media without the need for accusations of nepotism, just of critics being out of touch or having different tastes than the general public.

what's Eurogamer like as a site, in terms of integrity? I know a guy who used to write for them and he seems pretty cool and non-twatty

Generally pretty harsh when it comes to reviews compared to US based sites.

Re: Gone Home it seemed to feed an awful lot off of reviewers all being late twenties early thirties people super nostalgic about US alt culture/video games in the 90's. It seemed to be one of two things which every review gushed about.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

horriblePencilist posted:

There's still the matter of these people pushing their own agenda and refusing to not force-feed every paragraph with bullshit impressions like "brilliant rush of visual mastery".

That happens because Game Journalists are terrible writers, on the whole, with a tendency towards verbal vomit (thesaurus optional).

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

slowbeef posted:

Kinda have a feeling they're going to avoid it...

At the moment they're still talking about what games they've been playing, haven't reached the "news" part yet.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

I like this "journalist"

UK video game magazine industry was very weird. Either magazines were 100% shill 100% of the time or went on a mission to tear everything a new rear end in a top hat in a funny way if they possibly could.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

The Dennis System posted:

I guess the upshot of all this is to just not trust reviews of inde games.

Except that the furor isn't even around what most people would think of as Indie Games, it's the underground of the underground of Indie Games who define themselves around social progressiveness.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Ardennes posted:

So is the issue that some girl cheated with a much of guys and started a poo poo storm or "social progressiveness?" If it is about social progressiveness, how isn't this just another battleground for culture wars that happen all the time outside of gaming?

Also, you probably shouldn't trust any game reviews especially AAA games who actually have a budget to pressure/buy reviews and you probably shouldn't buy pre-orders.

My gut feeling is it started as mostly column B with a sprinkling of scheudenfreude at someone who aggressively sells and maintains their personal brand on being a paragon being caught out as a massive hypocrite.

Since then it seems to have catalysed the sudden release of a poo poo load of pent up frustration at the gaming press / the tendency of gender discussions on the internet to devolve into two opposite extremes attempting to browbeat each other into submission while everyone who isn't a hyper invested crazy person gets caught in the crossfire.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Mazzletoff posted:

I don't even know what JonTron did last night, but if it pissed off Anthony "Game Figuratively Written By Reddit" Burch I think it must have been pretty good.

Not speak nor understand the language of tumblr/twitter cargo cult sociology with a sprinkling of tone deafness.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Cargo-cult sociology. Has occasional good points hidden in a whole load of garbage. Her videos also tend to be presented in a way that it's clear they are intended for people who already hold the same views she does to nod along respectively to rather than to convince people to her point of view.

For example privilege is a completely valid idea that makes sense and is a useful thought experiment for understanding the filters people use to view the world. Unfortunately she uses that concept like a blunt instrument to bludgeon people with and the not as a tool for facilitating dialogue.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Madcosby posted:

I wonder what percentage of Anita's video views are just people watching looking for something to make them angry

Her career both at the beginning and continuing relies on angry nerds publicly soiling themselves.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
If the ultimate objective of the tone deaf video games press is to keep this poo poo show going for as long as possible then they are doing a good job!

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The funny thing about this is the whole "the video game journalist industry is corrupt" started out as just masked misogyny but now the video game journalism industry has collectively poo poo its pants.

It started as sort of that, then the gaming press stuck their finger in and stirred it around releasing all the general pent up discontent with them that had been festering under the surface for years.

The whole thing has been funny as gently caress to watch from the sidelines.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Don't women buy the most games of any market these days? I mean, if there is genuine problems for women in game design to get their voices heard or to make games, that's a genuine problem. Can't...rather shouldn't that be addressed specifically? Do the Sarksesian Feminists have any actual specific goal, besides outrage?

Only if you count mobile/social games. "Core games" (for want of a better term) is still overwhelmingly dominated by 18-35 males.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 30, 2014

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Germstore posted:

At this point why is anyone entering this discussion publicly? It's basically sticking your toe in The Bog of Eternal Stench.

Because video game journalists have an inflated sense of their own importance.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

fisting by many posted:

wikipedia and reddit admins is totally understandable given that it takes a special kind of person to care enough about an internet cesspit to spend hundreds of hours moderating it

the host taking down a website is weird as heck though, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out that somebody knows someone else.

Or that the host got hit with spurious DCMA notices because a picture was used without attribution and the site wasn't big enough for them to bother expending the effort to see if it was bollocks. It seems to usually transpire that something like that or huge traffic spikes cause small gaming sites to randomly go offline.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

I'm sure they're not happy, but realize that the association of big publishers and media goes two ways. If some hypothetical evidence surfaced that was really bad, enough to actually take down Kotaku or Polygon, they'd need to do a lot of work to establish relationships with whoever came next

Wouldn't shock me if it's pushed publishers to take a more direct approach and have their own Nintendo Treehouse / Direct type thing and cut out the middleman.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Kaiju15 posted:

So other than being a shitbird to that Forbes writer, what did Ben Kuchera do wrong again?

Write generally dumb/creepy things like comparing a PS4 controller to fondling a (teen girls) breast.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And why aren't the SJWs out for his blood, again?

I'll happily retract this if they are in fact out for his blood.

He throws them a bone occasionally in articles.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Kaiju15 posted:

Whoa! Can I get a link or screenshot of this?

Just google 'Ben Kuchera PS4 controller' and click the PA report link.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Xachariah posted:

The real hosed up thing about it all is apparently the whole "indie gaming" thing wasn't ever a widespread movement, the indie gaming revolution was all just some incestuous hipster group in San Fransisco hyping each other up.

Good, I thought I was weird for not giving a flying gently caress about low effort "retro" garbage.

It was never a movement more that digital distribution meant you could make and self publish a small game with no or minimal publisher involvement, similar to the early 90's and late 80's PC space.

The "Indie Gaming" hyped up by little sections of the press was just scene kids from certain hip cities all agglomerating into a disembodied mass of inflated ego with no self-awareness.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Lumpy the Cook posted:

In the end, the journalists will manage to convince the general public that they're really just innocent victims fighting against sexism, before going back to the same routine of coercing developers to make their games fit their sensibilities while shaming devs who don't :)

And AAA publishers will continue to make games that their established audience want to buy relegating pathologically inclusive games to the indie circlejerk, pretty much how things are right now.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

have you read like any of the comments on anything even tangentially related to her? obviously not every response is vitriol but if you really don't think that there exists a group of people who genuinely hate the fact that she's pointing these things out I dunno what to tell you

There's a lot of people on the internet and a lot of them play games, even a small minority being vulgar shitlords can seem like a huge number of people when viewed through the distorting lens of website comment sections and twitter. Most people if they disagree with something like a YouTube video will just roll their eyes and close it without leaving any comment.

Best just to treat the commenting internet as a portal to view and laugh at dumb poo poo while otherwise getting on with your life.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Simstim posted:

Did you even read what he wrote? Because he goes into detail about games coverage always being corrupt. And Jeff Gerstmann didn't confirm the scandal until years after it happened.

From memory that was because he got a settlement and a gag order on speaking about it was part of the terms -- which had to be waived when he eventually did that GameSpot interview.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know who this guy is, what's he/his company getting sued for

but he's written good articles before and thanks to his pretty impressive connections in the industry he's broken some of the biggest gaming news stories in the last decade, and occasionally does some good videos, why do you hate him

I mean yeah he was rough as poo poo when he started at GB but he's pretty cool now, Spelunkin' With Scoops was great

Patrick has zero consistency of output. He either knocks it out the park or writes condescending articles where he makes trite observations about not very much at all.

In other words he is the writing equivalent of a five tool baseball prospect who might be really good if he puts it all together someday but right now is Jeff Francouer.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
The scuttlebutt was that Gearbox used the money / resources earmarked to make Aliens: Colonial Marines was instead funnelled into making the first Borderlands and in the process fabricated production milestones / "unavoidable delays" to keep getting money out of Sega. Which is why Aliens: Colonial Marines was such a colossal mess.

Sega / Gearbox also got censured by the ASA in the UK over "Aliens: Colonial Marines" for false advertising.

Captain Invictus posted:

congratulations on making your simplification more obtuse than the initial one!

It's a skill I work hard at. :)

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

if your beef is whether he's a "journalist" or not then Jeff has said they're personalities, not journalists, soooooo

I just love how much hate he gets when frankly there's way worse out there. Like I don't think even Ben Kuchera or Arthur Gies get as much poo poo as Patrick does.

I think people have really low expecations of Kuchera and Gies and when they repeatedly fail to clear even that very low bar just get mocked.

It seems people have generally higher expectations of Patrick so he's more likely to get poo poo for bad articles.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Well calling someone a moron in the same sentence where you use "Your" instead of "You're" is pretty funny.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

EugeneJ posted:

Hey Wikipedia, Al-Jazeera made an article about Gamergate. That means we can finally update Zoe's Wikipedia page to mention it, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Zoe_Quinn#Al-Jazeera_source

Yes, Wikipedia admin Tarc deleted the account of the guy who brought up the Al-Jazeera article

quote:

Administrators assume these responsibilities as volunteers who go through a community review process. They are not acting as employees of the Wikimedia Foundation. They are never required to use their tools, and must never use them to gain an advantage in a dispute in which they are involved.

hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Veni, Vidi, Veneri

• Locked thread