Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

New PC, Monitor wont detect via VGA port Just bought a new ASUS G10AC pre-built PC off Newegg. Installed it, and am using an older Dell SR230L series monitor. The tower appears to be powering up, but the monitor remains in its stand-by mode, saying that no signal is detected. I dont have a free DVI-D cable to test. I am not sure whether these symptoms alone suggest an old/useless VGA connector, a dead monitor, or both. Either way, it refuses to power on fully and post.

Attempted fixes: Tried to initiate a self-tests/diagnostic routine for the monitor with no noticeable results. My old computer had the VGA port connect directly into where the GPU was installed inside the case's rear. This one however doesnt provide that option it would appear. The VGA input is halfway up the PC's back, amidst the USB input ports etc.

Recent changes: Totally replaced the tower, its a pre-built unit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220405

Operating system: Windows 8 supposedly. Havent been able to POST so cant guarantee it ;)

System specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220405 The full specs are located here.

Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz processor
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 3GB GDDR5 GPU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Looks like you're connecting your monitor to integrated GPU. If it's been disabled from BIOS settings you might not get a picture. Try with DVI/HDMI cable from the actual GPU ports. Also check that your monitor is set on VGA and not some other input.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
Did you figure it out yet? Are you able to tell if the graphics card is getting any power? (see fan spinning or something else) More often than not, it is a dead graphics card as opposed to a dead monitor.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Dandywalken posted:

The VGA input is halfway up the PC's back, amidst the USB input ports etc.

You are using the onboard gpu and it might be disabled as the poster above you said. Only the ports directly on your card should concern you right now, the others are for your intel HD graphics or what ever.

• Locked thread