Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The audio book for the Authoritarians is great too if you feel like dropping the cash. Altimeyer reads it himself and is a very charming and lively performer who includes some material (not much) updating the book.

I have seen more than one fundamentalist favorably compare his relationship with God to his relationship with his dog. They see it as fitting and complimentary to think of themselves as God's pets, who benefit from His glorious obedience training. I guess the idea is that God reasoning with or trusting them is as absurd as them reasoning with a dog.

Explains a lot about this school system, now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

McDowell posted:

:ssh: preEnlightenment most people couldn't read and the Bible had to be interpreted by an elite.

Also people did know the Earth was round because ancient scientists had done experiments to measure the planet's circumference, it just wasn't common knowledge.

The idea that Columbus wanted to prove that the Earth was round comes from a joke in (I think) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. The joke depends on you knowing that nobody ever believed the Earth was flat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Here's a little story from my time in the ACE system. It's not horrifying (it's actually one of my happier memories from that time) and hasn't got anything to do with religion, but it demonstrates... I'm not sure what, but it definitely demonstrates something about ACE. This would have been sometime in 1998 or 1999, I think, which would have been 10th grade.

I had a lot of free time because I usually got my work done early, so I spent a lot of time playing on the computers around the classroom. One of the programs on the computers was made by School of Tomorrow for the ACE program, and it was used by the supervisors to record what PACEs people had completed, the scores they'd got on the PACE tests, average grades, that kind of thing. You'd see the supervisors using it all the time. One day while loving around, doing my The-Lone-Gunmen-wannabe thing, I discovered a file, SECURITY.TPS, that was mostly gibberish but right in the middle were the username and password for the record keeping program, stored as unencrypted plaintext. I discovered this during break time with a bunch of other students standing around nearby and when I successfully logged into the record system they were quite impressed. :smug: But anybody with enough knowledge of MS-DOS to use "more" and "dir" could have found it, if they were in the habit of poking around.

I guess School of Tomorrow assumed good Christian students don't try to hack into the records database.

God used you as a test for the other children, who will eventually go to hell when they die because they didn't turn you in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Well... yeah.

A lot of the kids at my school didn't seem like the super-hardcore true-believer type. A lot of them were into Jesus and came from evangelical backgrounds, of course, but I don't remember many of them going into all-out goody-two-shoes-sell-out-your-peers-for-the-Lord snitchin'. My school was less hardcore about that angle than some of the others in this thread. Most of them just wanted to know how I did it and what the password was.

As a contrast, though, let me mention my other major memory from ACE, which was considerably more terrifying than hacking the Lord's Gibson. Every Wednesday before lunch, everybody in the school would gather in the chapel upstairs for a half hour chapel session, which involved sermons, sometimes some singing, etc. Your basic Jesus stuff. This was a K-12 school but there were maybe 100 kids, tops. One day, the choir teacher (the mother of one of my classmates) was giving the chapel session. She'd recently been hospitalized, I think it was a real bad reaction to some poison ivy. It started out normal, talking about how she was grateful for everyone's support and prayers, etc., but then it got a lot darker when she started talking about hallucinations while she was in the hospital, and the devil trying to trick her, and memories of her childhood coming back, and how Alfred Kinsey was a bad, terrible, wicked man. (I think she was implying some kind of child abuse, but she wasn't very explicit.) Then she started speaking in tongues, while everybody in the school just watched.

Eventually she calmed back down, she seemed a little shy about the whole thing, wrapped up and apologized for making us late for lunch. The really messed-up thing, which I didn't even think about until just now, is that nobody really treated this like a thing to be worried or concerned about. A few of the other students were looking at each other like "what the heck just happened?" as we walked out, but the general feeling was that even though this wasn't a usual thing, it was in no way unacceptable or a problem that a teacher spent an hour talking about the devil and child abuse and then having glossolalia.

Was she saying that she dreamed that Kinsey raper her, or that he was wicked for saying that children had sexual desires--or that the person who raped her used Kinsey to justify what happened?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rkajdi posted:

I also love the "don't pass corporal punishment records to the next school" line. These monsters knew what they were doing was wrong and legitimate society would want to stop them, so they tried to whitewash it away at every step.

I imagine all the emphasis on secrecy and blind obedience made it extra easy for teachers to rape kids too.

• Locked thread