Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm interested in hearing about terminal illness from people with experiences dealing with it from all walks of life. The thought process and events that go on with people that have to deal with their own mortality is an interesting (and of course sad) subject that is extremely unique to each situation. I want to hear from goons on suggestions for blogs, documentaries/movies, personal experiences and whatever else there is with regards to people dealing with terminal illness.

Here are a few things I have found so far that have been enlightening on the subject through light googling:

65 Red Roses Blog: This seems to be one of the most famous and well known blogs with regards to a woman (Eva Markvoort) that had cystic fibrosis and died from its' various complications in 2010 at the age of 25. Its definitely an interesting read that details her life through 4 years of dealing with her illness and subsequent death. The link is: http://65redroses.livejournal.com/

Diary of a Dying Mom: Blog of Michelle Mayer, who was 39 when she passed away with scleroderma. This blog is a bit different from the above in that the actual blog posts are all in the year of her death (2008) and she is someone who is leaving behind an established family. I felt like this blog went into some of the smaller emotional aspects of preparing to die, with her detailing going through old mementos with her husband and her turns for the worst. http://diaryofadyingmom.blogspot.com/

ALS Blog(s) (I can't find the exact link for the one I read recently: It seems like alot more of these have popped up in the past few months. I read one about six months ago that extremely enlightening in the simple fact that the blogger kept on trying to type through the stages of ALS. The blog started off extremely well written and then slowly dissolved into hard to read sentences as he lost his motor skills and ability to write. It was amazing how quickly the disease really started to hit him. I wish I could find the exact blog, but there seem to be quite a few others at this point.

How to Die in Oregon - documentary about the death with dignity act: This details a handful of cases of Oregon residents that are living with terminal illness that are pursuing the death with dignity act, which lets you take drugs that end your life in your home. It was a fascinating look at the process the affected have to go through in order to obtain their medication and the ramifications this as on themselves and their families. For me personally, it took a few sessions to make it through the documentary because it was so emotional that I could only watch so much at a time. It was available on Netflix for a time, but no longer looks to be streaming.

SomethingAwful Cancer thread: While the thread does not always deal with terminal illness and death, it does provide some indepth look at people and/or their family members dealing with cancer. This is not meant to exploit those posting about their very intimate details about struggles with cancer but the thread is very helpful in providing personal experiences and support for the area. I would say it is definitely worth every checking out, and of course, offer whatever support they can to those dealing with cancer. The thread is located in the Goon Doctor sub-forum.

So please, share any other items that are out there with regards to terminal illness. Everything ranging from blogs, books, documentaries, internet threads and everything in between is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
http://mentalfloss.com/article/18692/he-took-polaroid-every-day-until-day-he-died

This is pretty good (Even though I dislike MentalFloss)

VidaGrey
Mar 19, 2009

The more I see of men, the more I like dogs.

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/category/personal/rebecca/

This guys daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor around the age of 5. She ends up dying on what I believe was her 6th birthday after falling into a coma. It's very well written and horrifically sad. I can't even imagine what him and his family went through but he conveys his feelings very well.

• Locked thread