Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

is samus really that tall

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
no she's just wearing 6" platform heels under a suit of power armor. that's like an extra foot in height between them

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

is samus really that tall

hyperbolically calling a 6'3" woman a giant is not outside the realm of possibility unless you never see 3D women besides your own mother

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
6'3" is pretty huge for a woman unless you live in Sweden or something

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

samus is tall and strong and can turn into a ball sometimes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

AE-35 Unit posted:

samus is basically sonic but better in every way

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Samus isn't the fastest thing alive tho

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Famous TV Dad posted:

all the metroid games are really good except for other m and metroid II. i hope miyamoto wasn't lying when he said they were gonna make more!

Metroid II was actually pretty good duder. Spent many hours riding around in the back of the station wagon blastin bugs. Good times. You should give it another try.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

ManMythLegend posted:

Metroid II was actually pretty good duder. Spent many hours riding around in the back of the station wagon blastin bugs. Good times. You should give it another try.

I tried playing Metroid 2 recently and the game suffers a lot from reused art assets, ie: it's impossible to tell where you are at any given time because not only is every tile the same color, but the same hub room gets reused like three or four times with only slight variations on it. It also doesn't help that the camera is way zoomed in on Samus and you can only see like seven tiles in any direction at any given time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Heavy Lobster posted:

I tried playing Metroid 2 recently and the game suffers a lot from reused art assets, ie: it's impossible to tell where you are at any given time because not only is every tile the same color, but the same hub room gets reused like three or four times with only slight variations on it. It also doesn't help that the camera is way zoomed in on Samus and you can only see like seven tiles in any direction at any given time.

Yeah I used a map to play this one, made it a shitload easier.

Wound up beating it in 2 hours and 5 minutes first play through with all collectables.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

yup metroid 2 had a sweet soundtrack, the tunnel is good and that bit right before the queen metroid did a great job gettin kid me psyched up for the final battle :hellyeah:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AE-35 Unit posted:

yup metroid 2 had a sweet soundtrack, the tunnel is good and that bit right before the queen metroid did a great job gettin kid me psyched up for the final battle :hellyeah:

I dunno that kinda pissed me off because you couldn't shoot diagonally but the enemies could move that way. So I had to wait under a platform or a bridge so they could slowly pop out right in front of me so I could hit them.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno that kinda pissed me off because you couldn't shoot diagonally but the enemies could move that way. So I had to wait under a platform or a bridge so they could slowly pop out right in front of me so I could hit them.

you could shoot up at least but yeah that kinda control would be tough to do given that they had just two buttons to work with, they coulda let you run and aim diagonally I suppose

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah, it's certainly not the best of the series, but I wouldn't put it at the bottom either. And it's certainly not a bad game.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

AE-35 Unit posted:

Soral
May 30, 2009

can some spergy imp out there please compile a list of all baby/motherhood metaphors in metroid other m. thanks in advance

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Soral posted:

can some spergy imp out there please compile a list of all baby/motherhood metaphors in metroid other m. thanks in advance

~the baby~

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Soral posted:

sure just let me drive to the dump to find my copy

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Shadow complex is cool, I wish nintendo would make another sidescrolling metroid and rip off all the foreground/background stuff. I would lose sleep if they announced something like that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Liquid Penguins posted:

Shadow complex is cool, I wish nintendo would make another sidescrolling metroid and rip off all the foreground/background stuff. I would lose sleep if they announced something like that.

I too enjoyed mormon metroid and would kill for more even if it means supporting card's writing

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I’m an average Metroid fan, I enjoy the games, but I wouldn’t call my self a huge fan of the series, but I thoroughly enjoyed all the Metroid games that I have played & finished (Super, Fusion, and all 3 Prime games).

Other M doesn’t seem to be liked by many, but I feel differently. I really liked this game a lot, to the point where I would call it my favorite in the series. The game and even the story, in my eyes, were a very fun and enjoyable experience in my eyes.

Gameplay wise, the game is fun, exciting and fairly fast paced. Its not a very difficult game, either, which I have to say I was expecting it to be, given Team Ninjas history. I’m glad it was a rather easy game though. It was something I could just playthrough easily and enjoy.

I like the way the game is set up a lot. Its a bit different from usual Metroid games. At any time you like, you can recharge your missiles by holding the Wii mote up and holding A, a pretty nifty feature. When your health gets low enough, you can do the exact same motion + button press to restore your health, though it takes a bit of time and won’t restore ALL of your health. Because of these two things, enemies won’t drop health and missile’s for you to collect when you defeat them. Its a fair trade off, though I always felt a bit of satisfaction when a big boss would die and leave loads of little health orbs and missiles for me to collect. Either way though, this system works well enough for me, and even saved me in a few tight situations.

I think my favorite part of this games gameplay is the dodge roll + quick charge shot that they added. Dodging in this game is pretty easy, really. You can just spam the D-pad when you think an enemy is going to attack and Samus will dodge out of the way, and if you hold the 1 button on the Wii mote (I failed to mention, that in this game, you hold the Wii mote side ways, and use it like an old school Nintendo controller) Samus’s charge shot will instantly charge and you can launch it directly at your enemy. I find that this method of fighting worked the best most of the time, because the auto aiming that this game has works, but not always. Sometimes it just doesn’t lock on for some reason, I’m not really sure why, but it may have had something to do with positioning on my part. I don’t know, really, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Another cool thing that they did with the charge shot is that on some enemies you can jump on their bodies while you’re fully charge and do a very powerful / sometimse one hit kill attack to the enemy. Its very satisfying to pull off especially considering that some enemies will take forever to die if you chose not to do this. Sometimes it can be a bit of pain to actually position your jump right to jump on an enemy, but it works out most of the time.

I think the only criticism i can give the game is the way you attack with missiles. You have to aim the Wii mote at the TV, and then the game will switch to a first person perspective for you to shoot a missile at an enemy. Don’t get me wrong, cause I actually really do like this method alot, and it feels really satisfying when you pull it off. However I do feel that in some situations it was a little frustrating to use, because you have to wait for it to register / lock on to the enemy before you can shoot your missile. Some enemies are just too fast to do this on, and sometimes you have to use your missiles on them. Its a bit of a mixed bag for me here, but I do love the idea here, and for the part the game is balanced to compensate for the lack of being able to move during using your missiles.

The boss fights in this game are really easy, but really fun. They don’t require too much thinking, just attacking and dodging. I think that simplicity is what made me love the boss fights here. Its so fun to fight them, and really I may even say that the boss fights were my favorite part of the gameplay. I can’t really give a reason as to why the bosses were my favorite aspect of the game, but just know it felt really satisfying to watch their health bars go down. Sometimes you can even freeze parts of their body with Samus’s freeze ray, and then aim and shoot a missile at the frozen part, and watch it blow off that part of their body, causing massive damage.

I think the only complaint I can really say is two instances near the end, its very unclear what you’re supposed to do. I won’t say specifically what they are, but one is during the final boss fight, and the other is after the final boss. One requires using a power up that you never get during the game, that they just give to you without saying anything. Its a bit of an odd design choice, but I’m told its a homage to Metroid 2 on the Gameboy which I sadly haven’t played. Its not really big a deal, but I do think it was worth mentioning.

The atmosphere in this game is great. Metroid games always have had great atmosphere, always creating a sense of isolation and uniqueness as you explore the large areas the games have. This time its a bit more linear , with a bit less exploratoin, but theres still plenty of places to go,(and they are all varied and very pretty) but you probably won’t ever truly get lost, maybe for a few minutes, but never the true wonder of where to go like the other games in the series. For me, thats fine, I found it to be nice and relaxing knowing where to go next. I enjoyed the huge exploration in the older games, but I also enjoy this method of doing this, too. The game also tells you where power ups are sometimes, when you clear a room of enemies. It doesn’t tell you where all of them are , though. (Though when you clear the game, it tells you where they all are, as after you clear the game, theres more to do, and a second ending to get!)

I think the only negative thing I could say about the atmosphere is that the ambiant music in the background is very downplayed and very hard to hear over the games loud sound effects. I love ambiant sounds and music, but I was barely able to notice it at all in the game, which is a shame, because it is quite good.Its quite different from the feel of the music in other Metroid games, and a lot of people will probably find it boring / not notice it, which is understandable, because this kind of music is not for everybody, but I love it.

The story was enjoyable for me too. I know a lot of people seem to hate this games story because its the first Metroid game to have Samus with a voice, and a more modern style plot with cutscenes. I notice a lot of people don’t like the way Samus is portrayed in this games plot, but I personally didn’t have a problem with it. I felt that she was believable and felt very human… Samus never really had much of a character before this, so I guess a lot of people had their own expectations of what she would be like, and I definitely understand that.

The game has a fair amount of scenes, but they are usually short and far between, except for a few which are a decent length. The story is told simply and coherently thankfully, with some good voice acting.

I had a blast with this game and will likely replay it in the future (which is a lot from me, cause I don’t think I would replay any of the other ones). I think all I can say is go into this game with an open mind, because it really is a well made game. It might not be what a lot of fans of the series were looking for… but I really did think this was a great game in its own merit.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Source your quotes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Heavy Lobster posted:

Source your quotes

No, don't you get it. If you write enough words, it actually acts like a spell, and makes bad games into good games. It's pretty important.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Anime Device is Your Friend and you should be nice.

I did not enjoy Other M, but I am glad someone else managed to.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Other M would be fun only if there was a video game equivalent of Mystery Science Theater

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Other M would be fun only if there was a video game equivalent of Mystery Science Theater

It's called Retsuprae

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Heavy Lobster posted:

It's called Retsuprae

there's a crucial difference between Retsuprae and MST3k and that difference is that MST3k is funny

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

remember this gem

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Penguins posted:

Check out the new Strider game it is very similar to Shadow Complex and is thus fun as poo poo.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f07xf2NcJiI

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYrz0-iZx2U

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I can still hear "Hey princess" when I sleep.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

AHungryRobot posted:

Metroid ii's kinda eh IMO but like 50% if its soundtrack is just ambient sounds which I find to be cool as gently caress. Also if you're looking for a fresh take on super metroid check out the project base hack. Dude decided to give Samus :siren:NIPPLES:siren: when she dies but other than that it's pretty good.

this project base thing is pretty alright, but man does it make an easy game easier

if you don't have charge beam equipped, all of samus's lasers are full-auto

bombs detonate a little faster and you don't even have to pay attention to hop to the top of the map, also bombs make a dumb sound now?

still though, it's really open and things are slightly different and i like wandering into the wrecked ship and maridia pretty much off the bat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

No Such Thing posted:

Anime Device is Your Friend and you should be nice.

I did not enjoy Other M, but I am glad someone else managed to.
still not reading that long post

The Sharmat posted:

remember this gem
do i?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Anime Device posted:

I’m an average Metroid fan, I enjoy the games, but I wouldn’t call my self a huge fan of the series, but I thoroughly enjoyed all the Metroid games that I have played & finished (Super, Fusion, and all 3 Prime games).

Other M doesn’t seem to be liked by many, but I feel differently. I really liked this game a lot, to the point where I would call it my favorite in the series. The game and even the story, in my eyes, were a very fun and enjoyable experience in my eyes.

Gameplay wise, the game is fun, exciting and fairly fast paced. Its not a very difficult game, either, which I have to say I was expecting it to be, given Team Ninjas history. I’m glad it was a rather easy game though. It was something I could just playthrough easily and enjoy.

I like the way the game is set up a lot. Its a bit different from usual Metroid games. At any time you like, you can recharge your missiles by holding the Wii mote up and holding A, a pretty nifty feature. When your health gets low enough, you can do the exact same motion + button press to restore your health, though it takes a bit of time and won’t restore ALL of your health. Because of these two things, enemies won’t drop health and missile’s for you to collect when you defeat them. Its a fair trade off, though I always felt a bit of satisfaction when a big boss would die and leave loads of little health orbs and missiles for me to collect. Either way though, this system works well enough for me, and even saved me in a few tight situations.

I think my favorite part of this games gameplay is the dodge roll + quick charge shot that they added. Dodging in this game is pretty easy, really. You can just spam the D-pad when you think an enemy is going to attack and Samus will dodge out of the way, and if you hold the 1 button on the Wii mote (I failed to mention, that in this game, you hold the Wii mote side ways, and use it like an old school Nintendo controller) Samus’s charge shot will instantly charge and you can launch it directly at your enemy. I find that this method of fighting worked the best most of the time, because the auto aiming that this game has works, but not always. Sometimes it just doesn’t lock on for some reason, I’m not really sure why, but it may have had something to do with positioning on my part. I don’t know, really, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Another cool thing that they did with the charge shot is that on some enemies you can jump on their bodies while you’re fully charge and do a very powerful / sometimse one hit kill attack to the enemy. Its very satisfying to pull off especially considering that some enemies will take forever to die if you chose not to do this. Sometimes it can be a bit of pain to actually position your jump right to jump on an enemy, but it works out most of the time.

I think the only criticism i can give the game is the way you attack with missiles. You have to aim the Wii mote at the TV, and then the game will switch to a first person perspective for you to shoot a missile at an enemy. Don’t get me wrong, cause I actually really do like this method alot, and it feels really satisfying when you pull it off. However I do feel that in some situations it was a little frustrating to use, because you have to wait for it to register / lock on to the enemy before you can shoot your missile. Some enemies are just too fast to do this on, and sometimes you have to use your missiles on them. Its a bit of a mixed bag for me here, but I do love the idea here, and for the part the game is balanced to compensate for the lack of being able to move during using your missiles.

The boss fights in this game are really easy, but really fun. They don’t require too much thinking, just attacking and dodging. I think that simplicity is what made me love the boss fights here. Its so fun to fight them, and really I may even say that the boss fights were my favorite part of the gameplay. I can’t really give a reason as to why the bosses were my favorite aspect of the game, but just know it felt really satisfying to watch their health bars go down. Sometimes you can even freeze parts of their body with Samus’s freeze ray, and then aim and shoot a missile at the frozen part, and watch it blow off that part of their body, causing massive damage.

I think the only complaint I can really say is two instances near the end, its very unclear what you’re supposed to do. I won’t say specifically what they are, but one is during the final boss fight, and the other is after the final boss. One requires using a power up that you never get during the game, that they just give to you without saying anything. Its a bit of an odd design choice, but I’m told its a homage to Metroid 2 on the Gameboy which I sadly haven’t played. Its not really big a deal, but I do think it was worth mentioning.

The atmosphere in this game is great. Metroid games always have had great atmosphere, always creating a sense of isolation and uniqueness as you explore the large areas the games have. This time its a bit more linear , with a bit less exploratoin, but theres still plenty of places to go,(and they are all varied and very pretty) but you probably won’t ever truly get lost, maybe for a few minutes, but never the true wonder of where to go like the other games in the series. For me, thats fine, I found it to be nice and relaxing knowing where to go next. I enjoyed the huge exploration in the older games, but I also enjoy this method of doing this, too. The game also tells you where power ups are sometimes, when you clear a room of enemies. It doesn’t tell you where all of them are , though. (Though when you clear the game, it tells you where they all are, as after you clear the game, theres more to do, and a second ending to get!)

I think the only negative thing I could say about the atmosphere is that the ambiant music in the background is very downplayed and very hard to hear over the games loud sound effects. I love ambiant sounds and music, but I was barely able to notice it at all in the game, which is a shame, because it is quite good.Its quite different from the feel of the music in other Metroid games, and a lot of people will probably find it boring / not notice it, which is understandable, because this kind of music is not for everybody, but I love it.

The story was enjoyable for me too. I know a lot of people seem to hate this games story because its the first Metroid game to have Samus with a voice, and a more modern style plot with cutscenes. I notice a lot of people don’t like the way Samus is portrayed in this games plot, but I personally didn’t have a problem with it. I felt that she was believable and felt very human… Samus never really had much of a character before this, so I guess a lot of people had their own expectations of what she would be like, and I definitely understand that.

The game has a fair amount of scenes, but they are usually short and far between, except for a few which are a decent length. The story is told simply and coherently thankfully, with some good voice acting.

I had a blast with this game and will likely replay it in the future (which is a lot from me, cause I don’t think I would replay any of the other ones). I think all I can say is go into this game with an open mind, because it really is a well made game. It might not be what a lot of fans of the series were looking for… but I really did think this was a great game in its own merit.

Your insane, in the membrane.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would kill a baby to play a good version of Metroid Prime in VR, right now it's just lovely proof of concept, but it still gets me kinda hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctRn9FG0D1c

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Lemming posted:

I would kill a baby to play a good version of Metroid Prime in VR, right now it's just lovely proof of concept, but it still gets me kinda hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctRn9FG0D1c

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AHungryRobot posted:

Metroid ii's kinda eh IMO but like 50% if its soundtrack is just ambient sounds which I find to be cool as gently caress. Also if you're looking for a fresh take on super metroid check out the project base hack. Dude decided to give Samus :siren:NIPPLES:siren: when she dies but other than that it's pretty good.

All I have to go on are screenshots atm but is it just a map modification that gives Samus poo poo colors for some reason or are there some meaningful mechanics changes?

Speaking of ROM hacks, I'm thinking of giving Redesign another shot. I couldn't beat Draygon last time :(

• Locked thread