Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Hog Butcher or whatever his name is now has some good super metroid rom hacks

The super metroid zero one was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i want to make a dozen photoshops of the mysterious black dude

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
what's stopping you?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

Did this get moved out of Games by mistake?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Anyone in here like Doom?.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Tried out Metroid Super Zero Mission at the recommendation of this thread. Started out with the "Hard" patch because why not, I like a challenge, and then installed the regular one after you have to speedball in order to get out of the morph ball screen, not to mention having to land hairpin walljumps to even get into the game.

Played a bit, got the bombs and then got destroyed because apparently the hacker thought that a boss fight that relies on having room to maneuver would do best in a room where you have three two-tile wide platforms and damaging floors and ceilings (this is just the Chozo statue that comes to life when you get bombs in the first one, for those who haven't played). Would have given it another shot but the last save was all the way back in the previous zone because gently caress me I guess.

So my gamer opinion is that this thing sucks and is really obviously made by/for someone who just wants an obstacle course of all the weird engine glitches in Super. Having Super's sprites next to the Zero Mission tileset is doing neither any favors because they're entirely different art styles that don't mesh together at all. Also I guess a hack of Super Metroid in the Zero Mission engine rather than the other way around would be a bit too much to ask because anyone who's that dedicated to Metroid romhacks are the kind of person who makes this thing as a tribute to aforementioned Super Metroid speedrun poo poo. Pass.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Widestancer posted:

Hog Butcher or whatever his name is now has some good super metroid rom hacks

The super metroid zero one was fun

where at?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Lobster posted:

Tried out Metroid Super Zero Mission at the recommendation of this thread. Started out with the "Hard" patch because why not, I like a challenge, and then installed the regular one after you have to speedball in order to get out of the morph ball screen, not to mention having to land hairpin walljumps to even get into the game.

Played a bit, got the bombs and then got destroyed because apparently the hacker thought that a boss fight that relies on having room to maneuver would do best in a room where you have three two-tile wide platforms and damaging floors and ceilings (this is just the Chozo statue that comes to life when you get bombs in the first one, for those who haven't played). Would have given it another shot but the last save was all the way back in the previous zone because gently caress me I guess.

So my gamer opinion is that this thing sucks and is really obviously made by/for someone who just wants an obstacle course of all the weird engine glitches in Super. Having Super's sprites next to the Zero Mission tileset is doing neither any favors because they're entirely different art styles that don't mesh together at all. Also I guess a hack of Super Metroid in the Zero Mission engine rather than the other way around would be a bit too much to ask because anyone who's that dedicated to Metroid romhacks are the kind of person who makes this thing as a tribute to aforementioned Super Metroid speedrun poo poo. Pass.

I wish I could wipe Super Metroid from my brain and play the game again, which is why I'm always hopeful hacks can provide a different experience. However 99% of all romhacks ever are made by sperglords who just want to make a game bullshit hard and call it "challenging." It's only fun to someone who spent a lifetime playing the game and reverse-engineered and studied the game's mechanics to the point where they can recite the code from memory. Redesign is balls hard, but it is nice that the actual mechanics were changed from the ground-up because it feels like you're playing a totally different game instead of Super Metroid But Hard Enough For Video Game Savants.

Redesign is also not a go-to for anyone who wants to reexperience Super Metroid, though. If you want to do that you have to either A: Wait for Nintendo to release a new (good) 2D Metroid; B: Wait until romhacking sperglords get their heads out of their asses; or C: Intentionally induce retrograde amnesia. Option C is the most realistic option right now.

Alternatively if you got an Xbox you can play Shadow Complex if you haven't already because it's basically Super Metroid but with a dude instead.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=729&category=&perpage=50&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=788&category=&perpage=50&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=&game=805&category=&perpage=50&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

Go nuts.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This is still the best Metroid fan art:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The FPS made by a bunch of Texans is better than the creative vision of the original director.

Pro tip for Metroid Prime 2: The beam weapons are absurdly overpowered. Destroying an enemy or object with one beam will give you ammo with the other, and you don't even need to use the charge beam to draw it in. You can also never run out, since if you have no ammo left you can charge it to do a regular shot and open doors with it.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

All I have to go on are screenshots atm but is it just a map modification that gives Samus poo poo colors for some reason or are there some meaningful mechanics changes?

Speaking of ROM hacks, I'm thinking of giving Redesign another shot. I couldn't beat Draygon last time :(

it's more than just sprite changes. the guy lists all the changes on his hack page here: http://www.begrimed.com/pb.php

other hacks worth checking out imo would be ice metal uninstall and phazon. people suggest redesign a lot but i didn't like it all that much.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

The FPS made by a bunch of Texans is better than the creative vision of the original director.

Pro tip for Metroid Prime 2: The beam weapons are absurdly overpowered. Destroying an enemy or object with one beam will give you ammo with the other, and you don't even need to use the charge beam to draw it in. You can also never run out, since if you have no ammo left you can charge it to do a regular shot and open doors with it.

Annihilator beam. :getin:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Midboss posted:

Also this is less embarrassing than the Zero Suit and I refuse to be convinced otherwise. You're playing as The Wrong Samus if you pick ZSS anyway though.

I agree. The rocket high-heels are still retarded.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AHungryRobot posted:

it's more than just sprite changes. the guy lists all the changes on his hack page here: http://www.begrimed.com/pb.php

other hacks worth checking out imo would be ice metal uninstall and phazon. people suggest redesign a lot but i didn't like it all that much.

Holy gently caress this seems amazing

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
just fyi: version 0.7 makes some minor map changes. poo poo like removing some one-way doors and connecting some of the major areas together. if it ends up bothering you that much just use 0.6 since that version leaves the map structure untouched.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the best metroid imo is the first one on nes. it nailed the spooky space caves atmosphere better than the later ones

but all of them are good except prime 3 because i'm not gonna wave a fuckin remote around to play it

and i guess other m but i never played that one, i heard it was bad though

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
super zero mission is the only one i personally vouch for but i've heard good things about the previously posted ones

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Parallax Scroll posted:

the best metroid imo is the first one on nes. it nailed the spooky space caves atmosphere better than the later ones

mm yes bright colors and upbeat 8bit music sure does capture that atmosphere nicely I agree

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 26, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

mm yes bright colors and upbeat 8bit music sure does capture that atmosphere nicely I agree

ya

Dec 26, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

yeah it owns

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Why did that guy change "catchy music" to "8bit upbeat music" like 4 minutes after the fact or however long it takes for it to show that you edited something.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

He did it 10 minutes after the fact.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBKWYGXnIU4 insanely good

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

real answer: original metroid's graphics are less detailed than the later games, so your imagination can fill in the gaps

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I really like super but having played zm and then super back to back super just feels slow

in super samus controls like a buick but in zm she's quick and agile

think I'm gonna try out metroid super zero mission real quick

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
playing rom hacks is like installing mods in Elder Scrolls. It's a dark tunnel that you force yourself into and before you know it you forget the original reason of why you're there. But you just keep going and going until it absorbs your very existence.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wormskull posted:

Why did that guy change "catchy music" to "8bit upbeat music" like 4 minutes after the fact or however long it takes for it to show that you edited something.

Wormskull posted:

He did it 10 minutes after the fact.

Full disclosure I'm extremely anal retentive and was phone posting on the bus seconds before I had to get off it and when I got home I turned my phone on and discovered my post did not correctly convey what I originally intended to say :spergin:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The zero suit portion of Zero Mission was cool and one of the few decent stealth sections in a video game, and in particular is probably the only instance of temporarily depowering the player being done well. Hopefully if there's a new Metroid game in the works they can use that kind of segment again, hopefully without it feeling too shoehorned. Maybe science team steals her suit in the beginning and she has to find a new one on some new bird people planet.

Shame about everything that happened with the zero suit after that, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 26, 2014

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Soral
May 30, 2009

:eyepop:

Dec 26, 2012

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I will remember you

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I feel as though I understand something deep and fundamental about the universe now.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

i'll definitely remember him now

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

chumbler posted:

I feel as though I understand something deep and fundamental about the universe now.

*farts loudly* Hmmm, nope. Just gas.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
http://games.adultswim.com/escape-from-puppy-death-factory-adventure-online-game.html
infinitely better metroid game than other mother

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallax Scroll posted:

but all of them are good except prime 3 because i'm not gonna wave a fuckin remote around to play it

Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 were the only games that actually utilized the wiimote correctly and the controls are awesome, you're doing yourself a disservice

• Locked thread