Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Woozy posted:

I'm floored. I never would have given this stupid show a chance if not for the original thread here on this forum. Lots of shows seem like they want to portray depression as being some stepped-on dove that everyone is rooting for but BoJack is so much closer to what I live--you spend 90% of your time remembering what an awful person you've been and 10% of the time creating new memories to beat yourself up over.

While I like this portrayal of depression and it feels quite realistic, I have to admit that I can't relate to it at all. For me it's usually more of the opposite, where I never trust myself to create regrettable memories and instead tend to lead a completely unremarkable and boring life. When I have depression spirals I don't think, "You are a complete mess, just think about all that harmful stuff you keep doing to yourself." It's more like "Why the hell are you in such a bad mood? You didn't earn this! There weren't any terrible recent events, you had to experience. You have a privileged life and should be happy now. Why aren't you happy, you ingrate? You're bumming out everyone around you. Why would they even want to be friends with you? You're boring and only make people sad. Society wouldn't change at all if you were gone.".

In some terrible way, I sometimes wish I could bring myself to actually do some stuff I may horribly regret, just on the off chance that it actually does something great. Having sleepless nights torturing yourself by thinking about all the things which might have happened, is sometimes worse than the actual worst case scenarios...

Depressions can feel weird, but they are disturbingly common and nothing anyone should be ashamed of. Realizing that there are plenty people who feel the same is important. Therefore I am really happy, that the topic starts to be treated in a more healthy way on television. A few years ago, depressed people were mostly portrayed as loner weirdos, who may get some side stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Beekeeping and You posted:

I actually feel like "I have so much money and a great house and anything I need, why am I not happy" Is a big part of Bojack, too. At least, that was a big part that I related to. :shobon: though I'm not so rich and famous. And the desperate attempts to do something that actually matters to people, like ethan around.

While that's true, I don't think he compares himself a lot (or as in my case excessively) to other people, to appreciate how great his life should be. He's incredibly obsessed with himself. And there were only a few times this season were he actually thought about how his behavior affects other people, rather than himself.
He certainly doesn't seem like the type of person who would freeze, because he fears that he can't find anything to say which doesn't offend someone else.

There are a lot of different versions of mental imbalance. So it's not surprising that his is quite different from mine. But I know people who are quite similar to that version.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I had it in my head that this would be the full last season and was a bit confused with the episode I thought to be the series finale. It would be an interesting way to end the show, but I prefer to see some fallout.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

did you miss her picking up Guy at the airport

I didn't really notice her being fat there. Can anyone tell me a time stamp or grab a screenshot?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Huh, that's fairly significant. That's a really unhealthy gain in such a short time. But I guess, they had to make it obvious so that people like me don't miss it.
That jacket is really slimming, though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That was okay. Nothing stood out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Really? That was not my experience at all.

I dunno. I guess I liked the rendition of that poem in the second to last episode, that kinda stuck out to me. But mostlyl, it was more of the same, overall. They found a fine way to end this show and I am not exactly carving for more. Overall, it was okay and sometimes funny, but I didn't really feel anything about it, while the beginning struck me more on a personal level.

Kinda reminds me of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend actually, maybe I am just so messed up that I relate to depressive characters way less, once they get better. Or maybe I just don't enjoy TV as much anymore.

These final episodes were okay, but nothing special.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yes, Berties coworker is a virtuoso. Imagine if you could be the first to come up with such an idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Eh, that was happening at the same time as the merger. I’m betting once the CEO is aware of HQ’s subject matter he’ll either move the show to a more conservative showrunner or cancel it.

I guess it depends on what pull James Gunn has with that regard. He seems to like the show enough to appear in it.