Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Raitzeno posted:

Logy was distraught about getting caught shirtless... but he was wearing a shirt? I didn't see any burn marks in that picture, either.

Well, it's not on his chest:

Maybe we're supposed to assume Escha was checking him out first and then noticed his arm? :v: Your guess is as good as mine.

Raitzeno posted:

Did we get a censored version of a shirtless dude for some reason?

Well, Tecmo Koei did buy out Gust with the stated plan of turning Atelier into a "social game" series, and Eschatology was the first one they had direct influence over as I understand it (there's no really creepy stuff like the tentacle scene in Totori, for example). So I imagine they're experimenting with the formula a bit to try to get women more interested, since when publishers talk about social/casual gaming, that's usually what they mean.

'Course, judging from the next one, it looks like Gust is back to its old tricks, at least as far as main characters go. :shrug:

Anyway, fun LP, Sylphid. I'm playing this one currently, actually (struggling through NG+ since it's too easy to keep me hooked for long, though, heh). If you need more :words: to move pages along, I can chip in every now and then.

Edit: Scooped! Well, a picture's worth a thousand words, right...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Either my memory's playing tricks on me, or I notice you didn't point out some judicious editing. ;) I think that assignment is the one where the script refers to the slags as "slugs," and nobody noticed since it wasn't voiced. Needless to say my brother and I were having fun with that one. "Watch out, it's a humongous slug!" "Good thing we just got the recipe for Purifying Salt!"

Speaking of, my brother was doing the Logy route and playing ahead of me, and when he got to where Katla wanted 100000 for the book, he took advantage of the fact it's plot-mandated and just refused every deal. Sure enough, you do get it for free (the "other buyer" is Harry, and he gives it to Escha), but with absolutely no bennies like the aforementioned Dunkelheit or Gunade Ring.

Gotta love Aurora Stones. Comet Attack is the first of several properties that add all elements to your attacks, and that was the moment where we realized that, no, Gust hadn't learned anything about game balance since Atelier Iris 2. ...well, not entirely true: at least in Eschatology, added elements only apply on your attacks and skills, not to supports and [I'm pretty sure anyway] finishers.

And seriously, the local engineering team building the Hindenburg in their garage in a year will never stop cracking me up.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Only the alchemists can use items, yeah. That's traditionally been their "thing," and makes them ultimately and inevitably the best characters in their Atelier game. It used to be more of a tradeoff when using an item literally used the item up and you had to make more, though each game usually gave you easy ways to do so.

Genaro posted:

Another combat question, and sorry if I missed an answer earlier: how does the support attack/defend system run?

Taking actions usually increases the support gauge (there are a handful of things, mostly auto-use items and such, that lower it). A guard support uses half a stock, while a support attack uses a whole one-- but that attack itself generates support gauge like normal. It depends on your setup, but I've found that you should probably have 3 stocks before trying to use a finisher (3 attacks will usually generate enough support gauge for one more assist).

And yes, a big part of Eschatology's combat system is getting your combos off while ensuring you can still defend. Not only does that let you pick who gets hit, it reduces the damage pretty substantially, to the point that some bosses will one-hit kill you if you can't defend. As for switching, that only happens if you use the character "backing up" the person being attacked; if you choose someone else in the front row, they'll just take the hit and then go back to where they were.

Sylphid posted:

It's very satisfying to know people are playing these games because of me.

Yeah, count me in for that too, actually. :) My brother owned the first two Atelier Iris games back in the day, but it wasn't until we saw your LP of... Totori? I think? that we got Rorona through GameFly.

Edit: v :respek:

Wayne fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 8, 2014

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Everybody gets around six scenes you unlock by raising their friendship level (an invisible counter that so far as anyone can tell is 100% based on whether they're in the active party, back row, or reserves), plus a few others that are plot-mandated. Sylphid definitely seems to be on track to 100% the game, so what you see is what you'd get. It definitely feels like a step back compared to Rorona, but that one had more characters [at least not counting DLC] so it's hard to say.

Most of the characters are basically a type with one twist, that's definitely true. I'm pretty certain Threia is Satella except messy instead of glamorous, just like Marian is still if Meryl from Trigun was a government manager instead of an actuary; and Reyfer is basically if anime Indiana Jones listened to Dave Ramsey a lot, etc. That's another thing that makes me think Gust had their usual crazy tamped down: the characters are solid (Lucille is the only one I dislike), but no new standouts, at least in my opinion.

Sylphid posted:

Escha, I see that friends can have benefits.

Noooot touchin' that one.

So I have to ask, Sylphid-- how much time you spend on your syntheses now, especially for stuff you use a lot? I remember a couple undertakings to get all the ideal properties on things that ran 30 minutes, to a little over an hour on one where... well, we can commiserate when you get to it, heh.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

I know not a lot of folks click the videos in screenshot LPs, but you need to see the one where they're talking to Wilbell. They way she and Logy both make fun of the :airquote:Fire Lord!:airquote: is pretty great and completely out of nowhere.

Robindaybird posted:

Can't help but notice Escha's pirate costume looks like the Jellyfish Pirates uniform from Guilty Gear, wonder if it's a deliberate reference or a concidence.

I was torn between that or Maya from Threads of Fate, mostly just from the hat and the novelty of a semi-obscure game referencing another. Johnny's crew almost all wear shorts, so I don't think it's them either. It's actually called "Apple Pirate," so my best guess is generic sailor suit plus One Piece reference (closest guess there being Roger) for plausible deniability, since of course the real reason this exists is so fanboys from Famitsu can toggle between cleavage and midriff. :v:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Wentley posted:

Also, having two playable characters probably helps if you want to replay. You get a few different scenes, etc. I suppose.

Especially since you have to play through the game twice, one with one character and then "New Game+" with the other, to get the true ending. Every character has the same setpiece scenes (Lucille with the homunculi, for example), but some of them will differ slightly depending on who you're playing. As a rule of thumb, if Sylphid shows a scene with both alchemists, it's the same either way; if it's just one, there's a parallel scene for the other character.

I genuinely like that idea, that it's just fresh enough to keep you going and see new things (and if you're replaying an Atelier game, chances are good you're invested :v: ). I just wish they'd done, you know, anything at all to differentiate the gameplay, like higher difficulty or something. My brother and I just now made it to assignment 9 in our second playthrough, and parts of it have been agonizing.

Reyfer wanting to put hot sauce on pie makes me legit curious as to how that would turn out. I love spicy food too, but definitely in the "desserts should taste like desserts" camp, heh.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Another solid update, and I didn't see any image problems (or typos, but then I admit I was skimming the dialogue since I just saw most of it last week, heh). If I can make a suggestion, you might try some more screenshots in the more dynamic scenes. The Linca/Lucille scene is what really made me notice that; her running behind Escha and scowling at Linca is what makes it.

It starts with the Searing Wastes, but the LP is getting into my biggest problem with the alchemy system-- that ultimately the best properties can only be found by relics if you know where to look, and you simply can't make them yourself (with a handful of exceptions like Perpetual Motion). I'm starting the postgame/DLC dungeons to wrap up our game now, and when you're looking for Skill properties (the game never says this, but it applies to alchemists' items as well), you can't make any of the best 3 with alchemy, you have to find them on Green Crystals and such. :/

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Heh, yeah, sorry about not chipping in as much; we were getting pretty burned out on the game by the time we Platinumed the silly thing. :shobon: They really didn't handle NG+ well.

We coasted on a Perpetual Motion Knowledge Book (that otherwise had Jumbo Blessing and Cost Bonus), and it actually did about the same damage as yours. Partly that's because those two have the highest PP costs that are possible and Cost Bonus gives an item multiplier based on how much PP it uses, but also I'm wondering if Godkiller Power just applies to "Effect" and thus is basically useless. I tried it on Logy's unique item and it was pretty whelming.

Good job on the Demon Crucible. :getin: It's really obnoxious how the game gives you tons of ingredients that can be used for those narrow bands of element requirements, and then you never get to apply them because they're almost always plant/natural and nothing uses those. I had high hopes for the Oblivion Clover and I don't think I ever used one. Just keep an eye on Escha's turns (you get 6 bonus turns, up to 2 after her regular turns, and the first one may or may not count depending on her WT); I lost a fight to the last DLC boss by thinking I had more actions than I actually did, and there's no way to check.

Fetucine posted:

I'm almost sure I've entered the Palace Depths from the world map. You might need to beat the bosses outside first, though.

Exactly. You have to go to the first part, beat the bosses there, and then you can go straight to the second part from the map. The second area also has Elixir Bases as a Relic Find option, entirely to make up for the bizarre design decision of having them be an Assignment and also missable in the main game.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Wentley posted:

Why didn't they take the airship?

They do. Pretty much everywhere on the western side of the map requires the blimp, and the Floating Ruins requires the Hindenburg specifically. As you upgrade the airship, it shortens travel time (same as the research options that improve your marching speed). If you were looking at the pic of Escha walking on the map, that's because once it zooms in to the "area map," your characters explore it on foot.

And yeah, I think we're supposed to assume most of the world is wasteland at this point, and the areas that aren't have some reason for it (and even then are gradually getting there; remember the Plant Nutrients assignment to stave off the inevitable?).

Oh, that reminds me-- any of the longer-term Atelier fans know if Hat Girl is a reference? She looks like an Atelier heroine, but I don't know if it's a specific callback or if it's just a character design gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Roro posted:

Edit: When you say Hat Girl, do you mean Katla or Lucille? Katla's face reminds me of Rorona sometimes, while Lucille has a touch of Totori in her face and hairstyle.

Oops, completely missed this. :sweatdrop: Yeah, I meant "Hat Girl" from Clone's storybook bits. I've only played a couple Atelier games, so I was curious if she was supposed to be [or just look like] an older character. It's still fun to poke at how an alchemist from the distant past has the same sort of cutesy "uniform" they always have.

Speaking of Rorona, I was playing my favorite new character in Dynasty Warriors 8, and got a pleasant surprise upon checking the PSN store. :allears:

Good job with True Flameu and the bonus boss, Sylphid. :D I wasn't sure if your Knowledge Book was going to be up to the task, heh. My big gripe with both of those fights is the thing Neoman noticed; they cover the board in so many automatic effects (which you can't Guard against) it's essentially impossible to win the fights "fairly." I tried basically everything I could think of to handle them like normal bosses (min-maxed defense, full elemental resists, weapons specially tailored to the bosses with [type] Slayer, etc.) and couldn't do it. You have to use alchemy items/finishers* to blast through some of their mode changes, and preferably the last one. The Palace boss goes into beast mode [as it were] at about 60% health, so you poke it until about that point and then try to demolish it in one or two combos. It's frustrating and I don't think there's any other way.

* I don't know if Sylph covered this is one of the mechanics updates, but basically Skill bonuses in weapons/accessories are the Power and Glory. Up to 100% Skill applies to everything a character does (basic attacks, items, supports), and then the full amount is applied to actual Skills (from the menu) and finishing moves. I dumped basically everything I could on Threia's skill (since hers do the highest base damage to start with that I could tell) and broke 100k damage with Ancient Gem after a big combo.

SSNeoman posted:

Monster skills that give free turns are the worst bullshit. You can basically lose without being able to do any inputs.

Yeah, exactly. Luckily, at least if you have the DLC; the player benefits from it much more than the enemies. The move is guaranteed to generate one bonus turn and has very low odds of getting more, and there are only two bosses [I think] that have it, while you have Micie for most of the game. He's the other good choice to pump Skill (as opposed to 4 God Attack and such) since you'll be using his every turn.

• Locked thread