Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've been playing a lot of the Way of the Samurai series lately, and while that's not an RPG, it did get me thinking about Japanese games and how I've pretty much just not played an entire genre of games. The closest thing to a JRPG I've played is Pokemon, which I guess is a pretty bog-standard one. Are there any good ones that I should give a try, or is Pokemon just the best one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jrpgs are fun yes.

Dec 26, 2012

chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

someone will rec some bad snes games so im here to tell you you should play the world ends with you

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
play inindo way of the ninja

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Skies of Arcadia for the Gamecube OP

tales games also are okay, they have terrible anime stories but the combat can be fun

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Dragon Quest games are generally fun and cool. some of the earlier ones are dated obv but anything from 4 onward is a safe bet. if you do not like dragon quest you are probably a FailTard.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll loving say it: I actually had quite a lot of fun with Final Fantasy 7 when I first played it. it's fun and interesting to experience such a weird fixture in gaming history. it is like the JRPG Prime and it has all the stereotypical poo poo - bizarre melodrama, some incoherent fusion of sci-fi and fantasy art styles, and a nonsensical anime story without actually bothering you with terrible anime drawings. life's too short to get sucked into all the deepnerd poo poo surrounding it, so avoid that and you're fine

Endorph posted:

someone will rec some bad snes games so im here to tell you you should play the world ends with you

but if you only choose one thing play this one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime drawings own actually, as do nonsense anime stories

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

FF7 is a good starter jrpg and it is easy to pick up and not particularly challenging. i would second avoiding pretty much everything besides the game.

Dec 26, 2012

ff7 is fine, and is only nonsensical in the sense that the translation is wildly terrible, which in many ways adds to its charm

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Endorph posted:

I read an LP of this and the story was pretty good, but the gameplay looked really unfun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I read an LP of this and the story was pretty good, but the gameplay looked really unfun.
depends on how good you are at multitasking

though if you set the game to easy you can basically play it while focusing only on the bottom screen and have a decent time of it

Dec 26, 2012

even on normal my level of engagement was "keep tapping the direction where an enemy is on the top screen" while i actually did poo poo i paid any attention to on the bottom screen and that worked

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Suikoden, Megaten, Shadow hearts.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I guess I'll have to dig up my DS and play it then, do you guys know if newer DS games are playable on the 1st gen hexagonal ones?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
they are bad games op it may be hard to believe but even your time is more valuable than that.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

I guess I'll have to dig up my DS and play it then, do you guys know if newer DS games are playable on the 1st gen hexagonal ones?

those will play all original DS games. they will not play DSiware or 3ds games. Enjoy your Journey into the magical world of JRPGs, OP.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i can't speak for PS1 JRPGs because i haven't played any, but there are a lot of good ones there. some of them might not have aged well though

when it comes to the SNES you can't go wrong with Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FF VI, and Super Mario RPG

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just play Chrono Trigger. You'll get other recommendations, but they're unnecessary.

It's better paced and more technically competent than Final Fantasy 6 or 7.
You don't spend half the game (or any) grinding, unlike any Dragon Quest.
You don't need 80+ hours and it's not anime as gently caress, unlike Persona 3 or 4.
It's actually fun, unlike Earthbound.

If it's not part of that list, then it's also probably a bad game. Except maybe Mario RPG which I can't find all that much fault in.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Try Ys and then pretend most JRPGs are like it but never actually play them, since their not, OP.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
is the paper mario series a JRPG? if so then i recommend that one

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Play Hydlide, OP

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

01011001 posted:

chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger chrono trigger

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Number Two Stunna posted:

Play Hydlide, OP

no play Virtual Hydlide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZC9_OXIlzQ

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I know saying that something is the dark souls of a genre is lame as gently caress.

But SMT Nocturne is the dark souls of jrpgs and it owns

americong
May 29, 2013

jrpgs can be incredibly dull op, and most people learn to love them when they are wee children, with time to spare

I personally fell in love with final fantasy x, and I think the combat is very fun, but you may feel differently, and other posters may have subpar opinions about it

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

final fantasy 6 is terrible and is only liked by contrarian neckbeards desperate for 'nerd cred' that woah they liked FF before it got huge with FF7

play seiken densetsu 3 and chrono trigger and forget JRPG as a genre ever existed afterwards thanks

oh yeah FFX is cool too

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

The guy who made this was probably 14 but it's still true.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the scary truth is that it was probably made by someone in their twenties because i haven't heard a breath about bleach since i was in high school a decade ago

Dec 26, 2012

its an incredibly old image so either is believable

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Silver Striker posted:

FF7 is a good starter jrpg and it is easy to pick up and not particularly challenging. i would second avoiding pretty much everything besides the game.

This plus Aeris dies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

best jrpg is chrono trigger. you can skip all the fights. the music is banging. the anime is pretty mellow and almost totally non-pervy. win all around.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Treasure of the Rudras. Bitchslap is the best spell.

Also

The White Dragon posted:

play inindo way of the ninja

for the soundtrack alone.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If you want to try out some different games on different systems, I'd say Destiny of an Emperor or Dragon Warrior 3 on NES; Final Fantasy 6, Lufia 2, or Robotrek on SNES; FF7, FF9, or Wild Arms on PS1; Dragon Quest 8, FF10, or Disgaea 2 on PS2.

After PS2 you don't really see 'traditional' JRPGs with purely stats-based, menu-driven combat, separate overworld/towns/dungeon maps, and so forth. Pretty much everything is melded into the action-rpg type, like Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls. There are a few outliers like Resonance of Fate (don't play this) but it's no longer the standard.

Dec 26, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

After PS2 you don't really see 'traditional' JRPGs with purely stats-based, menu-driven combat, separate overworld/towns/dungeon maps, and so forth. Pretty much everything is melded into the action-rpg type, like Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls. There are a few outliers like Resonance of Fate (don't play this) but it's no longer the standard.

rather, they moved to portable systems and you wont really find many on ps3/360 and up

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
voice acting killed the jrpg star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

if its not SMT it's not worth playing

• Locked thread