Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

01011001 posted:

play nocturne, or smt4

i am assuming by this you mean that they are good game where you go kill/breed demons and kill the badguy without loving around with dating sim bullshit

is that correct? (i liked the breeding system in the one i tried)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

that is correct, except its less kill the badguy and more kill the guys you dont side with

but yeah no dating sim stuff

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Has anyone said Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre yet? Not enough Yasumi Matsuno love in this thread.

01011001 posted:

but yeah no dating sim stuff

If you ain't down with the dating sim stuff then you ain't down with the JRPG.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Oh yeah, I guess I should mention I played Phantasy Star Universe and Paper Mario and stuff, I guess I just don't consider those JRPGs because they're so action-y. I'm probably going to buy and play FF7 on steam since so many people are recommending it, thanks for all the great recommendations!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Buschmaki posted:

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention I played Phantasy Star Universe and Paper Mario and stuff, I guess I just don't consider those JRPGs because they're so action-y. I'm probably going to buy and play FF7 on steam since so many people are recommending it, thanks for all the great recommendations!

Nah there are definitely action-y jrpgs like every "Tales of" game.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Nah every JRPG has to be a grindy snooze fest where you select actions from a menu.

If you're having fun then you're not playing a JRPG my friend.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Silver Striker posted:

Dragon Quest games are generally fun and cool. some of the earlier ones are dated obv but anything from 4 onward is a safe bet. if you do not like dragon quest you are probably a FailTard.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
play dragon quest 8 AKA the only good jrpg on the ps2.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Nihnoz posted:

:whoptc:

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Ohhh poo poo I forgot nocturne. Nocturne is good too.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
yo you should play soul nomad, it's loving sick and owns.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

darealkooky posted:

yo you should play soul nomad, it's loving sick and owns.

it's an NIS game. I love NIS with all my heart but they make lovely games.

Dec 26, 2012

i dont love NIS with all my heart, and they make lovely games

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

soul nomad is the one not lovely NIS game, because it doesn't play like a NIS game and doesn't have any of their obnoxious cliches to stink up the writing

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Nihnoz posted:

Are you trying to turn the OP off JPRGs forever?!

If so, great post :thumbsup:

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Console Role Player posted:

Are you trying to turn the OP off JPRGs forever?!

If so, great post :thumbsup:

gently caress off retard.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Nihnoz posted:

gently caress off retard.

Pretty sure you're the one with the extra chromosomes, my friend. You took a console with no shortage of quality JRPG titles and claimed Dragon Quest 8, a mediocre game by any measure, was the only title worth playing.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Pretty sure you're the one with the extra chromosomes, my friend. You took a console with no shortage of quality JRPG titles and claimed Dragon Quest 8, a mediocre game by any measure, was the only title worth playing.

whoa there

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
gwt a load of this nigga right here everyone

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

ps2 jrpgs are rear end.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
yeah play a good game like uhhh lost planet. star ocean 3. hahahahahahahahhahahahahah

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Nihnoz posted:

ps2 jrpgs are rear end.

ff10 was cool doe

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

:ughh:

Nihnoz posted:

ps2 jrpgs are rear end.

:ughh:

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
persona sucks. final fantasy is gay. kingdom hearts is for faggots. if you play some ar tonelico bullshit you have AIDS.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

you make a fair point guy w/ half naked little girl avatar

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
wait i just realized that all the smt games were on ps2. et tu, nihonz?

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Is it fascism yet posted:

wait i just realized that all the smt games were on ps2. et tu, nihonz?

I didn't play any smt games besides nocturne and persona and persona was a stinky turd. Nocturne is pure quality tho.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
fwiw I loving hate jrpgs.

Dec 26, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

I didn't play any smt games besides nocturne and persona and persona was a stinky turd. Nocturne is pure quality tho.

the other smt ones on ps2 were good

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

imo the persona series is the best version of a modern jrpg

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

LaTex Fetish posted:

imo the persona series is the best version of a modern jrpg

it's not. You walk through samey dungeons and press o on the same monster over and over again until they get the exact skillset you want out of them and do inane sidequests and mash X so you can get through boring s-link scenes. People like it because it's a socially acceptable VN and that's loving weak.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

oh, so you just have aspergers syndrome and think you're actually supposed to spend 30 minutes getting the best skillset for every dude you have

i'm sorry for your illness

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I want to shoot the person who came up with s-links. If I wanted to interact with these tedious retards I would! Giving incentive to do it just turns it into a chore. Not like getting s-links is in any way challenging, just time consuming.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
For a guy that doesn't like a thing you sure do like to post a lot about a thing.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Nihnoz posted:

it's not. You walk through samey dungeons and press o on the same monster over and over again until they get the exact skillset you want out of them and do inane sidequests and mash X so you can get through boring s-link scenes. People like it because it's a socially acceptable VN and that's loving weak.

yeah and this is the reason i hate older jrpgs. ive played enough of those. the whole mechanic is just battles battles battles which are boring as gently caress and then you sit through several hours of meaningless bullshit dialogue some autist made about their 'world'

in persona at least the first four hours of the game i get dialogue options that matter and i can choose a waifu. and battling isn't the main loving point. there's a clear goal and battles happen, but the dialogue/social system is fun too

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
The jrpgs I like are:
Dark Souls
Etrian Odyssey 1, 2, and 3
Final Fantasy 5
Nocturne
and Every Dragon Quest.

Some dude made a mod of ff6 that makes it harder and adds mlp refs and I like that too.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Front Mission series was allright but I hear we won't be seeing much more of that and the last one I saw after 4 was some bizarre attempt at an AC clone :(

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

:stare:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Play Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jade Cocoon 2 was on the PS2

I never played it but I wanted to make a post about Jade Cocoon

• Locked thread