Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only JRPG worth playing is Seiken Densetsu 3, with the fan made English translation patch. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mobzy
Mar 22, 2010

Nihnoz posted:

5 is the best one.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
came here to post final fantasy 8 lol

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
basicaly if yo ulike watching this video>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDD5-Fhdk50

get final fantasy 8 because you get to watch it over and over and over again

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
atelier escha & logy is legit good and fun ive really been enjoying it. combat is fun and simple, alchemy goals are clear and fun and the system for alchemy is fun as hell

i wish the characters spent less time talking but its a jrpg so idk what else you'd expect.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Abandon posted:

basicaly if yo ulike watching this video>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDD5-Fhdk50

get final fantasy 8 because you get to watch it over and over and over again

You have brain damage.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If you have difficulty working out that summoning GFs does less damage that the 2 second animation of hitting an enemy with your sword, you deserve to have your mind warped by the chinese Pedofiles who make these games.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ekster posted:

it had solid gameplay imo, too bad about the poo poo story

the gameplay is bad and the story/characters are really awful

4 is somehow worse

i have no idea why people like the star ocean series, it has 0 games worth playing

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Suikoden 3 but only the Thomas and secret dog chapters

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I remembered another PS2 RPG I liked, but be warned that it's definitely not for everyone.

Ar Tonelico (the first one)

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

I remembered another PS2 RPG I liked, but be warned that it's definitely not for everyone.

Ar Tonelico (the first one)

pfft, dating mechanics :rolleyes:

*plays bioware RPG*

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

op did you play chrono trigger yet

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you have difficulty working out that summoning GFs does less damage that the 2 second animation of hitting an enemy with your sword, you deserve to have your mind warped by the chinese Pedofiles who make these games.

urm well i apparently must have been reading the numbers above the heads wrong or something>?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Widestancer posted:

Front Mission series was allright but I hear we won't be seeing much more of that and the last one I saw after 4 was some bizarre attempt at an AC clone :(

As already mentioned there is a japan-only 5th one, which is IMO the best entry in the whole series, but you have to go through the trouble of patching it with a fan-made translation.

But anyways OP, once you're done building up your stamina with these babby jRPGS, you should graduate to the real deal, the most nippon of them all, Xenogears - you can thank me when you're knee deep in weaboo pussy.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i finally beat smt4 after being stuck on beelzebub forever and i feel at peace

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

BKPR posted:

i finally beat smt4 after being stuck on beelzebub forever and i feel at peace

congratulations

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

No Such Thing posted:

*sudden Kramer entrance*

DRAGON WARRIOR MONSTERS

I played this a lot when I was a lad but I don't think it's aged very well

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Abandon posted:

urm well i apparently must have been reading the numbers above the heads wrong or something>?

No, you probably were, but you were too dumb to figure out junctioning.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Speaking as someone that just can't stand random encounters that switch to battle screens, and just couldn't play FF7 too long past the part when Aeris Dies! and also hates most Japanese rpg because of that, I have to say that lots of japanese games have some really innovative and awesome mechanics.
The Disgaea is somewhere on my top ten list because of all customization and the fact that you can level up to 9999 and you can also level up your weapon and other crazy mechanics they created for this game. The game even have stuff for you to do in really high levels, you won't be amassing power for nothing. I could say most of these things about Phantom Brave too, another awesome game.
In Mana Khemia (and the atelier series I guess, I only played MK) I spent most of the time on the alchemy laboratory trying new stuff, and that's loving awesome.
Recettear have the shop mechanic. I don't like Recettear as much as the others but the bizarre mechanic is certainly worth a check.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No, you probably were, but you were too dumb to figure out junctioning.

Which, if you don't have a guide, probably requires about 100 hours of drawing and grinding items just to figure out which junction setups, items, and cards are worth using. At some point your mind will become warped anyway or you just give up over seeing the draw animation again and again and killing enemies again and again just for the luxury of not seeing Supernova-length animations again and again just to beat the game.

And having to spoil the game just to play it as intended without going crazy and turning to the Whomp! guy is proof that you shouldn't play jRPGs beyond the 16-bit era, and even at that spectrum most of the ones talked about are overrated.

program666 posted:

:spergin: about "innovation" in jRPGs which mostly come from the same weeaboo company anyway

Nah it's all just skinners' box busywork to me.

One thing that grinds my gears about jRPGs is how some of them do this thing like "Go through 4 elemental dungeons that all look the same" or "Go through 4 towers that differ only in color and slight puzzle changes". This is egergarious in Wild Arms 2, which does this twice. That series is basically Star Ocean's cousin where the games think that having guns and wild-west music are equal to being wild-west games when they are really more like the Phalanx cover art. They also have a lack of enemies where there are entire dungeons that only have one enemy type, period, and those that have more usually only have 3 or 4 enemies and about as many formations.
Also, gently caress the search system.

Dec 26, 2012

Byde posted:

And having to spoil the game just to play it as intended without going crazy and turning to the Whomp! guy is proof that you shouldn't play jRPGs beyond the 16-bit era, and even at that spectrum most of the ones talked about are overrated.

this was mostly a problem in the ps1 era, beyond that things evened out quite a bit for the most part

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Buschmaki posted:

I've been playing a lot of the Way of the Samurai series lately, and while that's not an RPG, it did get me thinking about Japanese games and how I've pretty much just not played an entire genre of games. The closest thing to a JRPG I've played is Pokemon, which I guess is a pretty bog-standard one. Are there any good ones that I should give a try, or is Pokemon just the best one?

only play mario rpgs everything else blows

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
If you absolutely have to have random battles at least do it like Etrian Odyssey and give the player a warning light when they are in danger of getting into a random battle

Actually you should do any grandfathered-in JRPG idiosyncrasy like how Etrian Odyssey does it

Like if you're going to have rare drops make it so that they actually have a high chance of dropping but only if you fulfill some arbitrary challenge during the fight (and then make sure you at least hint at what the challenge is (EO forgot that the first two times))

And then give the player an item they can use to get everything a monster drops as long as they can kill it the same turn the item is used (EO also forgot this one the first two times)

Alternatively

Pomp posted:

only play mario rpgs

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Final Fantasy V is the best main FF. If you play a single one of those games make it that one.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
ffv is good if you love grinding so you can more effectively grind in order to grind in better grinding areas faster

it's not a real dungeon crawler because it's easy as gently caress, it's not as good of "look at all of the poo poo I can do to customize my team" skinner box like the tactics games and despite intentionally(?) having a stupid as gently caress story it feels the need to constantly have cutscenes. only good part of the entire game is gilgamesh but now he's in like every jrpg ever made so you aren't missing anything

game didn't get translated into english for a decade for a reason, that reason is because it smells like butz (get what I did there lol!!!)

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Gimbal lock posted:

Or you could read it like a normal human being: "the game's trying real hard to appeal to hosed up tastes and it's making me feel sort of gross for otherwise associating with it."

read deez nuts, you queer

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
video games are cool and Japan is cool so you're probably cool to combine them, op

Steam sale needs to get here so I can buy Trails in the Sky and then not play it like all the other awesome jRPGs I never have time for

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

read deez nuts, you queer

...dude.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
eo owns

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is pretty much my favorite JRPG. You play as an ex-CIA operative who fights dinosaurs on a mysterious South American island. The dinosaurs get bigger and tougher though, so you'll want to level up your weapons and gear at your base. You can even go on dates with a high school girl between missions! You'll want to keep playing after it's finished so you can unlock the secret ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Byde posted:

This is egergarious in Wild Arms 2, which does this twice. That series is basically Star Ocean's cousin where the games think that having guns and wild-west music are equal to being wild-west games when they are really more like the Phalanx cover art. They also have a lack of enemies where there are entire dungeons that only have one enemy type, period, and those that have more usually only have 3 or 4 enemies and about as many formations.
Also, gently caress the search system.

Between bosses giving bonus EXP through beating their extra parts and getting the bonus with Lucky Cards, and WA2's ability to just flat gently caress skip random encounters, I've probably jumped into the least amount of pointless battles in that game.

The search system sucks but everyone tells you where to go anyway so it feels sorta moot.

Random battles definitely suck but it sucked harder in the first game where your only option was to waste magic or skate everywhere to avoid fighting some random weak mook you took out hours ago.

• Locked thread