Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
I mean it basically implies that latin americans are expert organ harvesters or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
F A G G O T A C T I V I T Y

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the bonus for Africa implies that they have money, which is even more offensive imo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
No

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i take it you've never woken up in a peruvian dive missing both kidneys before op? it sucks, lemme tell you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i assumed it was a reference to the various military juntas in the 80s

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

i assumed it was a reference to the various military juntas in the 80s

those were propped up by the cia so really it should be a NA thing and called "enhanced interrogation", which would at least be more appropriate than air and space since we seem only capable of wasteful politically motivated boondoggles in that field. africa's is appropriate because africa's no stranger to having its wealth extracted from it by an outside power so xcom being funded on blood diamonds make sense. asia's is literally foxconn workers churning out tech and europe uhhhh i forget. gently caress that game though, play xenonauts.

Dec 26, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

gently caress that game though, play xenonauts.

yeah. or at least play long war b/c that poo poo gets crazy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is a reference to the nazi scientists who gave rise to the boys from brazil, OP

nazis help you interrogate aliens

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

01011001 posted:

yeah. or at least play long war b/c that poo poo gets crazy

long war is too long for me :( i like a lot of stuff it did conceptually.

i can't even keep up the attention span for not-so-long war

Dec 26, 2012

thats understandable, i wish they made a not so long not so long war or something that kept the cool class stuff and squad leaders and increased squad size and changed diplomacy without lengthening the timescale so drastically

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

01011001 posted:

thats understandable, i wish they made a not so long not so long war or something that kept the cool class stuff and squad leaders and increased squad size and changed diplomacy without lengthening the timescale so drastically

they actually added in a "not so long war" option you can enable in the mod

Dec 26, 2012

yeah im saying there could be an even more compressed one than that

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know but giving bonuses is kind of nice irregardless since the main choice in Xenonauts, for example, comes to how much area you cover initially as far as I can tell and, well, that means there's obviously only one or so.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm sure Xcom is Solved by now and there's only one choice there too or whatever, as a disclaimer before the 90s PC Game Nerds come in and act all condescending.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
I liked the new XCOM because the art style and unit customization got me attached to my soldiers, but Xenonauts is so bland that it just puts me off.

RIP Wop Spaghetti, you sacrificed yourself (and your entire team) to save us.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

south american isnt a race

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

south american isnt a race

:rolleyes:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

I'm sure Xcom is Solved by now and there's only one choice there too or whatever, as a disclaimer before the 90s PC Game Nerds come in and act all condescending.

Yeah it is. The only interesting part of the game is night missions, especially night terror missions.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like the chrysalid mission w/ the whale, especially in enemy within when you can punch 'em

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mr. Pumroy posted:

those were propped up by the cia so really it should be a NA thing and called "enhanced interrogation", which would at least be more appropriate than air and space since we seem only capable of wasteful politically motivated boondoggles in that field. africa's is appropriate because africa's no stranger to having its wealth extracted from it by an outside power so xcom being funded on blood diamonds make sense. asia's is literally foxconn workers churning out tech and europe uhhhh i forget. gently caress that game though, play xenonauts.

"air and space" should actually DOUBLE the upkeep and cost of your fighters, while making them half as effective, until you raid and destroy Lockmart HQ.

Doctor Goat posted:

i like the chrysalid mission w/ the whale, especially in enemy within when you can punch 'em

I thought I was farming so many of those guys in that mission for chiton armor but I didn't get to keep the corpses after. :smith:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 31, 2014

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I still hate that you can't manually target poo poo in new xcom.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Humphrey Vasel posted:

I too miss the firing lines of full auto laser-rifle fire and rockets taking out farmhouses.

Edit: Firaxis claims that while developing the new XCOM they accurately remade the old game in the new engine and then started stripping things away that the modern console gamer can't understand. Kinda wonder why they don't just release that dev build.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 31, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i wish it didn't have the pack mechanic because the pack mechanic is loving stupid

Dec 26, 2012

Concordat posted:

I too miss the firing lines of full auto laser-rifle fire and rockets taking out farmhouses.

Edit: Firaxis claims that while developing the new XCOM they accurately remade the old game in the new engine and then started stripping things away that the modern console gamer can't understand. Kinda wonder why they don't just release that dev build.

lack of fire mode selection really bugs me. like that wouldnt even be THAT hard to do

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Humphrey Vasel posted:

It really makes that mission with all the Chrysalids inside the whale a lot more annoying if you don't bring a MEC to Collateral Damage everything

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Concordat posted:

it's probably because they lie

Dec 26, 2012

scalded schlong posted:

it's probably because they lie

yeah i seriously doubt they went through the trouble to put in poo poo like facing, light sources, etc and then took it out. like that would be completely stupid on every level

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ain't facing in the new Xcom or is there a new new Xcom I didn't play yet.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
There's sort of facing in that your soldiers snap to the cover and look over it but you don't have to actually spend points to turn them around if that's what you mean

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

If you select the fire rocket ability on a heavy while he's out in the open he'll rotate to face the direction your cursor is at.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

operation black father was a thing that could happen

Dec 26, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Ain't facing in the new Xcom or is there a new new Xcom I didn't play yet.

yeah i mean like theres no way they had it in, as per the assertion that they completely remade the original game, and then removed it

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

friend of the family.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Reading an interview with Jake Solomon shows that statement was a bit of an overstatement.

What they did was create two prototypes based heavily on the original game, but a feature-for-feature remake, and they added even more complexity to it.
On the third version they started simplifying things.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Pewdiepie posted:

friend of the family.

lmfao

• Locked thread