Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
STILLL waiting to plant acorns and watch them grow into trees in Fable. Didn't even put it in the anniversary edition.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
emerging from my butt

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPyRRB9yWI&t=295s

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

the only two series that are allowed to use that term unironically are deus ex and metal gear solid

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

emergent gameplay is real... and it's good

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
emergent gameplay is probably the best thing ever when done right, like in dwarf fortress or x3.

I think deus ex have enough gameplay elements so you can say there is some emerging gameplay, but how does it happen on MGS?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

program666 posted:

emergent gameplay is probably the best thing ever when done right, like in dwarf fortress or x3.

I think deus ex have enough gameplay elements so you can say there is some emerging gameplay, but how does it happen on MGS?

messing with the guard ai?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

romanowski posted:

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Ekster posted:

the only two series that are allowed to use that term unironically are deus ex and metal gear solid

just about any open/semi-open world/sandbox game imo

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

romanowski posted:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
in open worlds with dynamic worlds yes, but what about worlds where you change nothing like skyrim, or GTA? I don't see a lot of emergence coming out of skyrim, quite the contrary. One of my biggest personal disappointments with skyrim was that I couldn't turn anyone into a vampire.
Most games avoid letting the player do anything to avoid breaking the game. Then again what's the definition of emergent gameplay anyway? If GTA or Skyrim have any of it whatsoever it seems like pretty boring poo poo.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I don't understand that term or why they would choose it over something like "evident gameplay" or "excellent gameplay"

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

I don't understand that term or why they would choose it over something like "evident gameplay" or "excellent gameplay"

Because it doesn't mean those things. Emergent gameplay "emerges" when you learn you can make a ladder out of trip mines and scale a tower.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

"Evident gameplay" seems like it would just mean playing the game vanilla and "excellent gameplay" is a quality judgement.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
http://youtu.be/FAGtiCRc_nQ

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Because it doesn't mean those things. Emergent gameplay "emerges" when you learn you can make a ladder out of trip mines and scale a tower.

It just seems like a tautological phrase 'game play emerges when you play the game'

I guess I know what they are trying to say but their weird marketing speak is obfuscating the point.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
hackmover in ultima 7 = emergent gameplay

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
emergent gameplay, more like play with my cock that is emerging out of my pants

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
What is wrong with the end of that man's finger?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

sorry you guys are too pleb to play roguelikes :c00l:

Dec 26, 2012

No Such Thing posted:

It just seems like a tautological phrase 'game play emerges when you play the game'

I guess I know what they are trying to say but their weird marketing speak is obfuscating the point.

its mostly gameplay and effects emerging from versatile mechanics rather than mechanics that do one thing only

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

emergent gameplay is a thing that exists, but these days it usually means "we put some physics poo poo in it, plus some random monsters/animals/people wandering around not doing anything, i dunno have fun out there kiddo" and little else

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
a flock of birds

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Gameplay so emergent you won't realize when you're playing a game.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
MMOs can sometimes have cool instances of emergent gameplay but it usually gets patched out after enough people whine about balance.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Roctavian posted:

emergent gameplay is a thing that exists, but these days it usually means "we put some physics poo poo in it, plus some random monsters/animals/people wandering around not doing anything, i dunno have fun out there kiddo" and little else

You forgot the instances where it means "We didn't beta test very well, so any weird stuff or exploits that you find are features and not glitches."

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i don't think emergent gameplay is actually a thing that exists in real life

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

No Such Thing posted:

You forgot the instances where it means "We didn't beta test very well, so any weird stuff or exploits that you find are features and not glitches."

like in deus ex and quake 1

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Grakdesh posted:

MMOs can sometimes have cool instances of emergent gameplay but it usually gets patched out after enough people whine about balance.

that would be fun and interesting, things the MMO genre is vehemently opposed to

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Grakdesh posted:

Unless it's EvE where it eventually becomes part of Life in Space

Soral
May 30, 2009

Grakdesh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vun5geNHA5M&t=25s

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
rocket jumpin

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

FAGtiCR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veilo
Jul 17, 2010

Never posts